The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 29th, 2013, 02:22 PM
The Gamecube Collector
just gimme gimme control
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to The Gamecube Collector

Advertise here
So the question is who is your favorite Gym Leader? For me it was Norman it was cool having a Father and even cooler have a battle with him and he was a tough challenge seeing as you had to battle him right after the 4th Gym with only the Route 111 desert to train in :D
Old August 30th, 2013, 02:14 AM
alienhunterx

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to alienhunterx
Favorite Gym leader well Wallace takes my vote here. So many fans, an event with his name as well beautiful looking Water Pokes in his team
Old August 30th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Sydian
Reserved for Syd's house - Nook Homes

Nature: Timid
I've always liked Wattson. I know that's a weird answer, but I always found him to be a pretty cool guy. Plus you get Thunderbolt from him for doing a nice little sidequest, and I like more chances to level up tbh. And there's a Thunder Stone in that area. So yeah. Even though RSE are my favorites, I've always found that the gym leaders of that region really lacked in personality, aside from Wattson and Wallace. That's just game wise though. I'm sure they were better in the anime or something.
Old August 30th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Squirrel
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Flannery! She's so firey and exciting, I love her personality and her team is very cool indeed. I would have preferred for her to be a bit stronger and to make more of an appearance both in the games and the franchise in general but I loved the small amounts she was there for and she had the most notable personality by far out of the Hoenn leaders for me. I also liked Wattson's cheerful attitude and Wallace was rather fancy, but Flannery is top for me.
Old August 30th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Flushed
down the drain.
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
No love for Juan? Good 'cause I like Wallace better anyways haha. He had the flare and the pizzazz; all the other gym leaders *coughBrawly* were kinda boring to be honest.
Old August 30th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Peitharchia
& got to keep looking

Definitely Tate and Liz. I was fascinated when they allowed me to battle them both at once. Also, unlike most gym leaders, their Pokémon weren't very easy to take down. It was quite a challenge. I like Flannery, too, because we seem to have a lot in common (such as our love for fire-type Pokémon). =)

Last edited by Peitharchia; August 30th, 2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old August 30th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Hoenn
» Just a cat and mouse game
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
Winona, Flannery or Roxanne and no I'm not being sexist, they just happen to be my top three who have awesome styles lol!

Old August 31st, 2013, 03:23 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
my favorite is Wattson and Winona they are just cooler that the others
Old August 31st, 2013, 03:30 AM
Orifiel
Priestess

Nature: Lonely
Flannery, that would be my best choice for as least.
Old August 31st, 2013, 04:31 AM
Elaitenstile
➜is not the last B E A C O N

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
Going with Tate & Liza here. They are the only ones with dual gyms, and in other words ULTIMATE.
And they finish their own sentences! Like twins! How cool is that?

Previously known as Elaitenstile 
Old September 4th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Fighting Girl
Fighting Type Master

Nature: Brave
Wattson and Brawly. Wattson because he is a cool old man who looks like he would be fun to hang around. Brawly because he is a fighting trainer and he is strong too.

Maylene is my favorite Gym Leader.
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Brendino
#fpt2014

Nature: Quiet
I really liked Wallace as a Gym Leader, so I was a bit disappointed that they replaced him with Juan in Emerald. Aside from him, I also liked Wattson- not only for his personality, but the fact that he's one of the few leaders that actually do something other than stay inside their gyms 24/7.
Old September 5th, 2013, 01:59 AM
Varion Bluefire
A.K.A The Glitch

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Varion Bluefire
I like Wiona, merely because her outfit is somewhat different to everyone elses, It's a cool outfit.
Pluse she's ver cute <3

The bell chimes again...
November 2014 ~ Chime Version Returns.
Old September 5th, 2013, 04:44 AM
Falsever
Ayano

Nature: Jolly
Flannery is my favorite Gym Leader.
She's hot and strong (she beat me 10 times when I first play RSE).
And, FIRE!

-Theme-
Ayano Tateyama

-Links-
Showdown!
Hack
Ayano no Koufuku Ririon
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Old September 5th, 2013, 05:09 AM
Tsutarja

Flannery. Her gym probably had one of the most mysterious mazes and because of how easy it was for me to defeat her since I generally favored water Pokémon back then..

Super Smash Staff Collab
mod pairs family twitter pc social sites
Old September 5th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Magic Magikarp
Magikarp is terrifying

Nature: Lax
Hm, not many stood out TOO well for me. What was that flying ones name again? Ill just call her "Flying Person". I remember when I was a bit younger I had trouble with her, Altaria I hate you so much /).-
Old September 5th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Sheep
may the stars shine down on you

Winona or Tate & Liza! Loved the blues and purples in Winona's design and the twins were pretty adorable.

whooo clubs
family twin
my star
Old September 16th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Livewire
でんきタイプ

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
Flannery, because let's face it, she is like the hottest Pokemon character there is, not just because of her type affinity. ;D

I also really liked Juan, the dude was really classy and smooth. A gentleman. He kind of reminds me of a younger 'Most interesting man in the world' from the Dos Equis beer commercials. XD
Old September 16th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Aeroblast
Cutting inside like a boss
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
Flannery, because despite her initial struggles and blunders, she eventually strides in overcoming the "newbiness" she had as a new gym leader.

Screw that, she's hot either way.
Old September 16th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Negix

Send a message via Skype™ to Negix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen III View Post
For me it was Norman it was cool having a Father and even cooler have a battle with him and he was a tough challenge seeing as you had to battle him right after the 4th Gym with only the Route 111 desert to train in :D
This. Hands down my favorite Gym Leader also. As stated, it was amazing how you had to battle your own father to proceed on your journey. It feels like its time to prove to your father, that you have grown, and that you have surpassed him. Norman was quite tough, and very annoying when he started spamming Endeavor with his Slaking.
Old September 17th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Decimosoma
Free to dream, free to smile

Winona. What I can say? I've always had a weakness for Flying Pokémon because I never catch any Electric Pokémons or carried any Thunderbolts with me, so she became quite a handful. Back then I wasn't really into different Pokémon typings and all.
Plus she is adorable.
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:52 AM
MoreLike Zack

Nature: Careful
Tate&Liza :D Because psychic is awesome 'n Lunatone/Solrock is double the awesomeness *.*
Not even a adventure time reference!
That walked down the escalator quickly!
These sentences are getting longer and longer i wonder when it stops you know the sentences!
HERE
oh and check out the Pokemon universe challenge, it it ever gets approved
Old September 20th, 2013, 09:16 AM
MiniMinun
Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!

Nature: Calm
This is going to sound weird, but Roxanne.... :D
Old September 20th, 2013, 10:50 AM
fenyx4
X does Y WITH AUTHORITY!

This thread could've really benefited from a poll... :<

Without a doubt, Passion Burn (that is such a strange PokeNav nickname/designation... ) Flannery is my favorite Hoenn Gym Leader of all time. <3 She has/is:

-a great design (which manages to utilize the terrific color of red)
-an utterly awesome type specialty (Fire FTW!)
-a beautiful and unique name (you hardly encounter anyone with this name in real life!)
-a good Gym puzzle (and actually bothers to redesign it for Emerald!)
-cool Pokemon (although I kind of wish her signature Pokemon was slightly more cooler than Torkoal, but I'm not complaining too much, because at least it's not Magcargo.. Torkoal and Slugma/Magcargo aren't that bad, though, and at least she has caught an Arcanine, Rapidash, and Houndoom)
-an absolutely lovely midriff
-is close friends with another hot/cool Gym Leader (Winona, in Pokemon Special, at least)
-rematch quotes that can "kind of" be interpreted differently...
-a reference to "Disco Inferno"/'burn, baby, burn!' in one of her Pokemon World Tournament quotes
-delightfully decked out in denim, and
-all-around hot (in many more ways than one!).

And also, DAT SMILE. 10/10; would be ecstatic if I got to visit the Lavaridge hot springs with her.

Also, I love how a large number of the members posting here seem to favor Flannery. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexOzzyCake View Post
Flannery! She's so firey and exciting, I love her personality and her team is very cool indeed. I would have preferred for her to be a bit stronger and to make more of an appearance both in the games and the franchise in general but I loved the small amounts she was there for and she had the most notable personality by far out of the Hoenn leaders for me. I also liked Wattson's cheerful attitude and Wallace was rather fancy, but Flannery is top for me.
This. Flannery's personality was just adorable, especially when she attempted to emulate an "elite, tough, and gruff" Gym Leader and later was essentially like "Ah, screw it. Lemme just be myself." I would just love it if she made more appearances in Pokemon media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varion View Post
I like Wiona, merely because her outfit is somewhat different to everyone elses, It's a cool outfit.
Pluse she's ver cute <3

Agreed; she's cool too. I love her outfit design, although, for years, her sprite made me think she was sporting the Zettai Ryouiki trope (as in, showing some minor leg/skin with some boots/shoes/stockings/whatever the white things on her legs are <3)... Only did her official Ken Sugimori artwork help to clarify that her outfit has some..interesting yellow rings/cinctures that encircle the upper part of her thigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachLMedia View Post
Flannery. Her gym probably had one of the most mysterious mazes
I agree; I actually bothered to memorize the Ruby/Sapphire Lavaridge Gym layout because Flannery enthralled me so much! As for Emerald, I keep getting confused each time I go in; I still haven't memorized the new layout to my liking... XD Ironically, it's more advantageous for me to memorize the Emerald layout, as Emerald introduced Gym Leader rematches and you have to navigate Flannery's Gym each time you want to rebattle her.

Really, all of the Hoenn Gym Leaders are top-tier in my book. Other than the extravagant Flannery, you have:

Roxanne, who IMO gives off a Cute Bookworm/Hot Librarian vibe, being a Pokemon Trainer's School honors student and is studious enough to handily kick your butt with Rock-types (in rematches and PWT at least; she kind of has to hold back in your initial match with her).

Brawly, who sports an awesome spiky/blue-colored hairstyle and general design overall, trains with freaking Bruno, employs powerful Fighting-type Pokemon, has the gall to teach a Meditite the utterly terrifying Focus Punch in your second Gym Leader match of the game (in Emerald), and even surfs on the side!

Wattson, a determined, cheerful old guy who packs an electrical punch and never throws a match, even at his age (just try going up against him with a Rock-Smashless Grovyle...*shudders*)! I don't know why this guy had to wait until Emerald to use the Hoenn-native Manectric as his signature Pokemon; there are Electrike south and east of Mauville City - they're like right there, dude! Right next to Mauville!

Norman, who's the player's May's dad and all, all-around cool guy, is a literal BA Normal, and wreaks havoc with not one, but two Slaking (and a Blissey as a nefariously annoying bonus). Seeing that Pokemon's name alone is enough to give me flashbacks to battles with this guy. Taking him on without Combusken/Blaziken just seems nightmarish.

Winona, who moves gracefully with the wind, uses a shiny Pokemon (Swellow in the anime at least; I really wish her Emerald team had featured a shiny Swellow as a reference), and utilizes expert tactics to shut down Trainers who think they can just go in Thunderbolting her Pokemon like there's no tomorrow. Oh, and she eventually gets a Dragonite.

Liza & Tate, a tag-team that has a strengthened mental bond and will drain you mentally with their annoying Solrock/Lunatone combo. And double-battle Gym battle FTW!

Wallace, who inundates you with a plethora of Water moves (and still was pretty cool while serving in his Gym Leader capacity), and leveled up rather nicely to the point where he bequeaths his former Gym Leader status to his mentor and eventually assumes the mantle of Champion status (although Steven Stone is forever the true Hoenn Champion to me)!

Juan... Although I prefer the RS order where Steven is Champion, I actually prefer Juan as Sootopolis Gym Leader as opposed to Wallace... His design just seems to "gel" better with the other Hoenn Gym Leaders, what with that sharp outfit and that ravishing blue coat and nice sprite color palette and all. For some reason, his mustache, his French speech in Pokemon Special, and that white thing in his hair makes me think that he's French, but his name and one of the Latin American Pokemon anime narrator's comments suggests that he's Hispanic/Latino... So confusing. @_@

But yeah, Hoenn Gym Leaders reek of awesomeness, have great personalities, designs, and type specialties to boot, and are all-around great, elite, caring people who you would not want to aggravate in an alley or something. Brendan is quite the opportuned guy; one of his best friend's (canon-meshing due to anime, but although I play(-ed) the games as Brendan, I consider Norman to be May's dad...so yeah) dad is a Gym Leader, resides in Hoenn with no less than 3 gorgeous girls who are also Gym Leaders (Flannery, Roxanne, Winona), and wants to be Slateport City's Gym Leader himself! (at least NPC!Brendan does, after commenting about the oddity that a place as big as Slateport lacks a proper Gym)

Last edited by fenyx4; September 20th, 2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old September 20th, 2013, 01:50 PM
oshawottlover13

my favorite is flannery because she freakin hot...did i just say that?

Completed National Pokedex in Pokemon X on 8-5-2014
3ds FC: 3308-4678-2953 Trades and Battles anyone?
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/leavsidchiptric13
Blogger Account: https://www.blogger.com/home
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here