• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

[Former PokéPOTW] Legendary Beasts or Legendary Dogs?

Years
I've heard all three of them referred to as legendary beasts, dogs, cats, and gerbils. I prefer to stick with beasts, although they do look more like cats to me than any other mammal.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I'm pretty sure they're cats, well at least Raikou. Regardless, Legendary Dogs.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
It's my pet peeve when people call them dogs. And I almost never get worked up about trivial things like that :P I call them the Legendary Wildcat Beasts. Anyone who visits Bulbapedia will see their origins clearly. Suicune and Entei have dog-like qualities but take mainly after the cat component of their myths.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
Legendary don't-bother-to-chase-after-them, koffi~

I don't know. I've never really thought about it before. If I had to pick of the two, I'd say beasts because they don't really represent dogs to me much, koff~

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I'm a huge fan of the legendary beasts. Suicune would have to be my favorite of the trio, because I just love its beauty and elegance. Due to its bulk, it can take countless amount of hits when it comes to battling and still stand tall. Plus, it has tons of useful moves in its arsenal, such as Scald, Rest, and Sleep Talk. Scald gives it a chance to burn the opponent and damage their health. With Rest, it's able to go to sleep and fully recover itself back to full HP. And with Sleep Talk, this Pokémon is permitted to land attacks on the opponent while it's still sleeping. How awesome is that?

I'm a fan of the legendary birds, too, but I just like the beasts a little more. d:

Years
I want to know what you all call Entei, Raikou and Suicune. Do you call them Legendary Beasts, or do you call them Legendary Dogs?
Ah, the age old question of Legendary Dogs vs. Beasts. This could prove to be an interesting topic to hear people's opinions on the matter, so we've made your thread the Poll of the Week!

Personally, I always used to call them the Legendary Dogs when I was younger, but can't quite recall where I picked it up from. Raikou looks much more feline than anything, though, so I eventually went with Legendary Beasts after I heard someone else use that name.

Sirfetch’d

Personally, I always used to call them the Legendary Dogs when I was younger, but can't quite recall where I picked it up from. Raikou looks much more feline than anything, though, so I eventually went with Legendary Beasts after I heard someone else use that name.

Pretty much the same here. Up until a few years ago, they had always been The Legendary Dogs to me, but I heard someone say Beasts. I thought to myself "that makes much more sense because Raikou is clearly a cat". Ever since then, I have referred to them as the Legendary Beasts and will from now on.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I'd call them Legendary Beasts to avoid conspiracies and stuff. But really I feel they're more feline than anything else. Legendary Cats, however, doesn't seem to "fit". Maybe like Peridition Haze suggested Legendary Wildcats will do.

Orifiel

Priestess
Years
Sounds better with Legendary Cats.. ლ(≧□≦ლ)
Well, nobody will agree so..Legendary Beast is it.
I think it sounds cooler and scarier.

Years
Legendary Dogs it's the first thing I've know them as and I got that for my Official Nintendo Strategy Guide. I think it was for crystal.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I actually still think of them as "legendary dogs", but in posts here I usually write "legendary beasts" just because I know it probably fits better and that most people have seemed to want to call them. Raikou sure looks more feline than canine, Entei maybe also. But much like adbunch above here, I heard legendary dogs first so that's what my mind still calls them ;)

And if I am to analyze stuff, I wouldn't call them all canine. Just like I mentioned above. Not even sure Suicune looks very canine, but probably more like a dog than a cat in any case. Entei, I always thought "lion" when I saw. But it is pretty dog-like in some ways.

In the end, I think everyone understand what's meant with beasts/dogs in legendary terms, at least within the fandom, so I don't much care.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Beastdogs. :D

I call them the legendary beasts because they aren't all dogs - that's pretty much it haha. Raikou lets them down in the canine department by being an awesome sabre-tooth kitty so they'll always be the legendary beasts to me; plus that's what I've always heard them being called since I first saw them so 'legendary dogs' is a new term to me!

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 27, 2013
I've actually heard them referred as legendary gerbils. And it sounds funnier than beasts or dogs so that's what I use.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I stick to Legendary Beasts. There might have been a once upon a time when I called them by Legendary Dogs but if I did it was so long ago that I don't remember anymore. Raikou looks like a Saber-Tooth Tiger, Entei looks likes a mix between a Lion and some kind of dog (forget off the top of my head) and Suicune looks like a slick Wolf or something. So it just makes more sense to me to call them Beast than dogs.

Years
I just call them Legendary Beasts, probably because I heard it in a Marriland video I was watching on YouTube.

Back