The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 23rd, 2013, 04:25 AM
CatchingALevel7Mew
Mew

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to CatchingALevel7Mew
So I'm getting the girlfriend to play Pokémon for the first time, hoping to make her a fan of the games

when I was a child I moved to a small country town where nobody I was friends with played Pokémon and I got all my close friends to play the games, but I decided to get them into the games they had to play a game from each generation so first I made them borrow, Pokémon Blue, then Pokémon silver and then Pokémon emerald, that's when they decided to buy emerald themselves and have bought at least one of the games every generation since, this is how I got 5 of my friends to become Pokémon fans who all still are to day.

Do you think it would be better to make her play the older generations first or just make her borrow a current game? like black or white?

Opinions would be great n.n
Old September 23rd, 2013, 04:46 AM
WhiteKnightL

Nature: Calm
I'd say a current game would be fine. The PokeDex is longer and overall just has more features than older games (which tend to have glitches). What I liked about the newer games is how they continue to explain the basics and game mechanics of Pokemon for anyone that is getting into it. Playing Soul Silver and Black 2 made me realize this.

"You lot. You spend all your time thinking about dying. Like you're going to get killed by eggs or beef or global warming or asteroids. But you never take the time to imagine the impossible. That maybe you survive." -The Ninth Doctor

I'm a Catholic Whovian who loves to watch anime and read manga, discovering my faith while still trying to to enjoy the things I love. Feel free to PM me for questions or just to chat!

Black 2 file
Palom
FC: 3483 3007 8236
Feel free to add me to trade and/or battle! Could really use some friends in BW2!

Poetry thread (please check it out!): http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=310154

My trade thread: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=307887
Old September 23rd, 2013, 05:43 AM
mucus
Moémon Master

Nature: Quirky
Playing the same generation as you is really the way to go.
Trading, battling, extranet, join avenue, etc - ways you can interact in the game with her will really go a long way.
Also, help her catch some cute pokemon - my wife tends to play more when she's got a team of cuties.
Show her dream world, while we still have it, that's a really really adorable way to interact as well.

Basically ways in which you two can interact with one another will definitely help to get her hooked into playing pokemon with you.

Good luck!
Old September 23rd, 2013, 08:03 AM
adventure
satellite physician

Nature: Naive
I'd say let her play HG/SS or Black/White first. HG/SS has many pokémon that she might recognize already, while B/W seem to be generally smoother and arguably better games overall, while still saying true to what makes Pokémon feel like Pokémon.

mucus' advice above here was great too though, at least if she's the person to rather enjoy doing fun things together with you than chillaxing with a game alone.

In any case, as you mostly seem to want her to get into the games, I'll move this over to Pokémon Gaming Central.

... BUT I would also liked to point out that if she's into manga or comics the least bit, you could try to find some volumes of Pokémon Adventures and gift to her together with the games! Or find scanlations online, it's really easy tbh. If she's not into pokémon at all yet, and if she's the same age as you, she might not appreciate the anime as much as you do if you find it when you're a kid. This is a guess, of course. But that manga has much more of a plot and pokémon die and stuff, so maybe she'll think pokémon is cool if she reads that ;)

Anyways,
-moved
paired with : abnegation
roleplay: CLOUD v2.0
Old September 23rd, 2013, 08:12 AM
Trollax

Nature: Lonely
Dude, my girlfriend practically hates everything I do.
So, if you get something to work, i would love to know.

Old September 25th, 2013, 08:46 PM
CronicHigh
All hail lord Goomy

Nature: Lonely
Something about Gen 6 when I first seen it really caught my eye and gained my full attention.
I started reading up on it, and determined that I definitely want to get back into the game.
I never thought I'd say that a Pokemon game was my can't miss game of the year, that I'm for sure getting on day 1.
However, I know nothing of Gen 4 and 5, besides what I've seen on YouTube.

As the topic says, I haven't played since Gen 3, and haven't touched the card game in even longer.
I want to get back into the mix, but where do I even begin at?

I've heard alot has changed since the R/S/E days, and the new game looks beautiful.
I'm so excited for it, but also scared that I'll be lost when building a decent team, training my pokemon, or know what I'm doing in general.
Old September 26th, 2013, 02:24 AM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
The wonderful thing about Pokemon is that it's stayed primarily the same since the very beginning, so getting back into it wouldn't be difficult at all. The main concept of catching and training whatever you want in order to collect gym badges and battle an evil team is still there. Once you pick it up you'll be surprised to find that it instantly seems very familiar and that playing it feels natural since you've played at least one past game.

If you're worried about training and team building then the only thing that's changed a lot over the years is the experience system. In fact, does anybody know if X/Y will have the same scaled experience system as gen 5?
Old September 26th, 2013, 02:31 AM
Endless
& heading that way

Nature: Careful
Send a message via AIM to Endless
Third generation games were released nearly a decade ago, so I would recommend you to start again from gen. three and lead yourself up to generation six. You may simply just skip to any generation you like, though, because the storylines make it very easy for you to be pulled into the games. Plus, the mechanics are pretty much the same, so once you get used to them, you will never feel like a stranger to these Pokémon games. (: I won't be able to help you get back into the card game though, because unfortunately, I'm not a big follower of the TCG.

Last edited by Endless; September 26th, 2013 at 02:39 AM.
Old September 26th, 2013, 06:31 AM
Eevee
╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Eevee
The basic concept of catching, battling, training and such are still the same so that part is easy. Obviously each game has its own storyline that has to do with the evil teams and the rare Pokemon so if you're curious, you could read up on those, though it's not too important.

But what's changed is the new Pokemon added, new regions to explore, new type advantages/disadvantages/etc. Those you might want to read up on to make sure you're up to date. As well, there also have been new moves, evolutions, items and more.

I'd recommend playing gen 4 and 5 games but that takes time so reading up on it can be effective as well. But it's really up to you. Though I heard that in gen 6 they're making it easier to EV train your Pokemon so everyone will have to learn that new method too

Old September 26th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Arlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CronicHigh View Post
Something about Gen 6 when I first seen it really caught my eye and gained my full attention.
I started reading up on it, and determined that I definitely want to get back into the game.
I never thought I'd say that a Pokemon game was my can't miss game of the year, that I'm for sure getting on day 1.
However, I know nothing of Gen 4 and 5, besides what I've seen on YouTube.

As the topic says, I haven't played since Gen 3, and haven't touched the card game in even longer.
I want to get back into the mix, but where do I even begin at?

I've heard alot has changed since the R/S/E days, and the new game looks beautiful.
I'm so excited for it, but also scared that I'll be lost when building a decent team, training my pokemon, or know what I'm doing in general.
The biggest single change since Gen 3 is the physical/special split, which was instituted in Gen 4.

Refresher - attacking moves either run off of the Attack stat and are countered by the Defense stat, or run off of the Special Attack stat and are countered by the Special Defense stat. Up through the third gen, the distinction was by type - Grass, Water, Fire, etc. were special and Fighting, Flying, Rock, etc. were physical. From Gen 4 on, each individual move is either physical or special, regardless of type. So there are special Fighting moves and physical Water moves and so on, so you can better match STAB moves to a particular pokemon's stats. So now you can teach your Gyarados a physical Water move, or teach your Breloom a physical Grass move, or teach your Claydol a special Ground move, or whatever.

Beyond that, most of the mechanics have remained the same. The only other really big change I can think of is in Gen 5 - TMs are now infinitely reusable instead of single-use, so you can teach any TM move to anything that can learn it instead of having to struggle to choose the one that's going to get to learn it (or as I tended to do, saving the TM "just in case" and ending up never using it).

I'd suggest playing at least a selection of the intervening games before Gen 6 comes along, just to get the hang of the changes. Maybe start with Platinum, which is to Gen 4 as Emerald is to Gen 3 (or Crystal is to Gen 2). It combines all the best features of Diamond and Pearl and adds a bunch of additional stuff. The only really notable change at that point was the physical/special split, so everything else should be familiar.

If you enjoyed Gold and Silver, you might try Heart Gold or Soul Silver for the nostalgia. That has the advantage of including the physical/special split (and a few other, less significant but amusing features) in a familiar setting.

Then play either Black or White, and if you only play one of the later games before you play Gen 6, make it one of those two. They were designed specifically to "reboot" the series - they contain all the new features and an all-new pokedex, with no pokemon from previous gens (until the post-game). Playing one of those two is going to throw you head-first into all the changes, but that's exactly what they were designed for anyway, so you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.

Last edited by Arlo; September 26th, 2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old October 4th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Moltres Rider
Banned

Nature: Modest
call me a noob, but what's a "Nuzlocke challenge"?? I hear it EVERYWHERE that's Pokémon related!
Old October 4th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinrpg View Post
call me a noob, but what's a "Nuzlocke challenge"?? I hear it EVERYWHERE that's Pokémon related!
The Nuzlocke challenge was apparently based on a comic, and the name comes from Nuzleaf and John Locke. It's a type of challenge where players try and add more harder difficulty element into the game.

The main rules of a Nuzlocke, according to players are:
Quote:
Any Pokémon that faints is considered dead, and must be released.

The player may only catch the first Pokémon encountered in each area, and none else. If the first Pokémon encountered faints or flees, there are no second chances. If the first encounter in the area is a Double Battle in dark grass, the player may choose which of the two Pokémon they would like to catch.

While not exactly a definite rule, the general consensus is that players must also nickname all of their Pokémon, for the sake of forming stronger emotional bonds.

Also not a definite rule, but the general consensus is that a black out/white out is considered to be "game over", even if there are Pokémon left in the PC.

Strongly implied, though not explicitly mentioned in the comic, is the stipulation that the player can use only Pokémon they have captured themself, meaning traded Pokémon, mystery gifts, etc., are prohibited. Trading and retrading the same Pokémon (for the purpose of evolving a Golem, for example) is something of a gray area, and may fall under optional rules. As of White: Hard-Mode

Episode 3, it is implied that the player can accept Pokémon that are received freely from NPCs.
Also strongly implied is a prohibition against voluntarily resetting and reloading the game when things go wrong. Being able to do so would render all of the other rules pointless.
There's also a bunch of optional rules also imposed by the players:
Quote:
Starter Pokémon is based off the player's Trainer ID number. If the last number is 1-3 the player starts with a Grass type, 4-6 is Fire type, 7-9 is Water type, 0 is the player's choice.

Species/Dupes Clause: Adjusting the first encounter rule to ban duplicate captures.

Not officially enforcing the rules until the player has Poké Balls and can catch Pokémon. For example, the Poochyena/Zigzagoon that the player has to save Professor Birch from in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald is not counted as the first encounter on the route, and not counting any other encounters as such until they can catch.

Likewise, in the games where the rival battle is immediately after getting the starter Pokémon, the "any that faint must be released" rule is not enforced at that time.

Use the same amount of Pokémon as the opponent during a Gym battle or rival battle.

Going to options and making the battle style "set", leaving the player unable to switch out.

After the first wild Pokémon was caught, the starter Pokémon must be released.

Banning the use of Potions and healing items, relying only on Pokémon Centers for healing.

Banning the use of Pokémon Centers, relying only on Potions and healing items for healing.

Limiting Pokémon Center visits to a certain number per town.

Banning the use of held items.

Limiting the number of Poké Balls to purchase per Poké Mart.

Banning the use of Master Balls.

Rather than releasing the Pokémon, it can be permanently boxed, migrated, or transferred with Poké Transfer should it happen to faint.

The player may not evolve captured Pokémon, but evolved Pokémon may be caught.

Turning the difficulty on to Challenge Mode if playing Black 2 or White 2, which increases the levels of opposing Trainers.

No catching/using legendary Pokémon.

As a mercy rule, allowing 1-3 "second chances" or revives of fallen team members.

As another mercy rule, if the player runs into a Shiny Pokémon on the incredibly rare chance, the player may still catch it, regardless of whether or not it is the first encounter in the area. It also does not need to be released if it faints.

As another mercy rule, each gym badge acts as a checkpoint. If the player gets a game over, they can start from when they got their previous gym badge.

If the player has no Pokémon that can use a certain field move that is required to continue through any given point of the game, they may catch another Pokémon that can learn said field move.

However, it cannot be used in battle for any reason, and must be released, permanently boxed, or migrated as soon as the player gets another Pokémon that can use said field move.

Modifying the "first encounter only" rule for the Safari Zone, sometimes allowing one encounter for each area, or until they catch one Pokémon in the entire area, and vice versa.

Banning the use of Poké Marts.

Disallow fleeing.

Setting a level limit based on the next Gym Leader's/Champion's highest leveled Pokémon. Any team members that surpass that limit before taking on the Gym Leader or Elite Four must be released.
Also has its own Bulbapedia page.

paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | twl | profile | supporter

loa: july 29 - august 12

Old October 8th, 2013, 02:46 AM
Sven

Nature: Relaxed
Google is not being helpful on this one. What is the difference between an orignal game and a copy of a game. For instance, there have been X/Y giveaways, however, some of them emphasize they are giving away a COPY of the game? Does that mean they just send it through WiFi? Or you still get a box and a cartridge and papers?
Old October 8th, 2013, 03:48 AM
Griffinbane
I hate Smeargle.
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Oh, what they do is that they give you a code (I think it's a code) that will allow you to download a copy of the game onto your 3DS. So no, you don't actually get the physical copy of the game (the cart), you get the digital copy of the game (downloadable version).

White: 1463 5558 5309
X: 2208 5685 5454
- - - -
Old October 8th, 2013, 05:08 AM
Sven

Does that "code" costs the same as an original game? Like could I sell it?
Old October 8th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Endless
& heading that way

The price of this code would be the same as a physical copy (well, not exactly, but almost!). The code could be used for only one download—once it's been used up, you cannot use it again. You should be able to sell your code, but if you've used it already, then I'm afraid no one is going to buy it. :(
Old October 10th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Sven

Alright, thanks!
I ask in case I get it on giveaway lol
Old October 15th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Cynthin

Hello there! I'm having a troublesome time right now and would like some help.my new pokemon that i caught is a trapinch jolly nature and once i caught i said " let's do some super training right now!" Boom and im training it on 0evs. And i raised it ev to: atk 252,speed 252, and hp 4......yet it can still train for one more ev or so?! I'm confused since this is not my first timr ev training and finding my trapinch has an extra ev. When i try to add more ev on attack and speed it wont allow it as its a its maximum point of training. Thanks in advence! And if this helps it a shiny.
Old October 15th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Boilurn
Scald Pokémon

Nature: Mild
Welcome to the forum!

After every 4 EVs invested in on a stat it changes. Every Pokemon can have up to 508 EVs so the last 2 EVs are effectively unused. So right now your Trapinch is all set!

You're quite lucky to have a shiny one, let alone one with a great nature.
Old October 19th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Chntz

Nature: Hardy
Guys, I need a little help to make a competitive party. I've been reading stuff about ev and am I right to say that I get an EV for every pokèmon I defeat (excluding RL players)?
Old October 19th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Endless
& heading that way

I'm not exactly sure if all wild Pokémon make you gain effort values, but most do. :) Beware, though—not all Pokémon give you the same type of EVs. Some give you EVs that raise your Attack stat, some EVs boost your Speed, some give you an increase in Special Defense, etc. etc. If you're planning to raise a specific set of your effort values (your Defense EVs, for example), then make sure that you are battling against the right kind of Pokémon. When you're EV training, one thing that you should do is hold onto a Macho Brace. Macho Brace doubles the amount of EVs that you earn each time you defeat a Pokémon, making the process a whole lot easier. If you like, you may also use vitamin items, such as HP Up, Zinc, Protien, Calcium, etc. They raise your EVs instantly by ten points.
Old October 19th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Chntz

Nature: Hardy
Yeah, I've already researched which pokèmons I should fight to get the EV I want. Problem is I do not know if I should fight these pokèmons only and no one else to get the specific EV I need. This being the case...

Next question I have is, let's say I have a level 100 pokèmon and assuming it can still gain EV, can it still get an EV from a level 10 pokèmon?
Old October 22nd, 2013, 09:08 PM
RY RYAN

Hey guys! New to the forum.

Got a question -

I held Bulbasaur from evolving until about level 35.
It's finally a Venusaur and i just realized Venusaur was supposed to have learned Petal Dance at level 32; but since it was still a bulbasaur at the time,

would i be able to go to the move relearner in order to get it to learn Petal Dance?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old October 22nd, 2013, 09:40 PM
Flushed
down the drain.
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Flushed
Yes, only the fact that it's Venasaur now matters.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 11:35 AM
Foxing Buizel
*Turns head* *Bui!"

Nature: Quiet
(Emerald <3)
I heard that the more you run away from wild Pokèmon, the less likely you are you to encounter shinys. Is what I heard correct? Also is it considered breaching copyrights if I was to publicly post a save file on this forum?

Feel free to check out my COMPUTING FORUM. If your interested in a message board general/computing then come give us a hand growing up!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links