The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development

Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 10th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Shiny Quagsire
どないやねん, ヤドン

Nature: Jolly

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
OK, let me rephrase. The max without hacking is 10. Snarky comments like this are why I quit ROM Hacking. Happy now?
Gosh, look what you did gogojjtech. Making Jambo51 quit like dat...

Back on topic, I found the battle script associated with both Birch's whining as well as the "Can't Escape!" message in Ruby. The offset of the script is 0x1d8e44 for those interested.

Old September 11th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Full Metal
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny quagsire View Post
Gosh, look what you did gogojjtech. Making Jambo51 quit like dat...

Back on topic, I found the battle script associated with both Birch's whining as well as the "Can't Escape!" message in Ruby. The offset of the script is 0x1d8e44 for those interested.
Does it also include eht battling part

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old September 12th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Shiny Quagsire
どないやねん, ヤドン

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal View Post
Does it also include eht battling part
To be honest I'm not entirely sure since I never really looked into it fully. I do know that it shows a message from a table of offsets for specific battle script strings.

Old September 16th, 2013, 09:48 AM
xGal
du bist n00b

Nature: Bold
400 replies!!!!!!! So, what you guys say about completely custom prebattle mugshots?

Also, if you ever wanted to make a ROM hacking tool, click here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=334348
Old September 18th, 2013, 10:15 AM
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Just a little random thing, in Emerald, editing the byte at 0x08070978 and 0x08071414 will change the level an egg will hatch at. This works for stuff given by the giveegg command, as well as from the Day-Care.

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Old September 26th, 2013, 06:50 AM
daniilS
busy trying to do stuff not done yet

The offsets 0x02023C5D and 0x02023C5E control the opponent Pokémon's primary and secondary type, respectively.
Changing them will also change attack effectiveness, and probably also catch rates of balls like the net ball.

Thanks to JPAN, Jambo51, Shiny Quagsire and knizz for teaching me almost everything I know about hacking, through tutorials or in person.
Old September 26th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Sliter
Gaijin Trainer

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Sliter
I'm with some problens to translate text from platinum, is there any way to export the text files from platinum in separated files for each .bin file in pl_msg.narc ?
getting in .bin with crystal title I couldn't find a way to open/convert them to xml or editable text
With thenewpoketext I can only get all the game text in one file(And it make my oldy pc frooze when I want to open), should be better if I could get them apart, like we can see in some editors like in SDSME or Ds text editor but I can't export/import them from there, there's any way?
Old October 29th, 2013, 10:43 AM
KosmoF
Diehard Pokemon Fanatic

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to KosmoF Send a message via Yahoo to KosmoF Send a message via Skype™ to KosmoF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthatron View Post
So editing the Pokemon that is released by the Professor in the games is easy, and I think possible with some tools. However, the cry does not change. Here are some changes that need to be made to change the cry of this Pokemon.

FireRed:
Code:
0812FB38: 02 48
0812FB42: 30 BD XX XX 00 00
Do I need to use a Hex Editor to locate the above code? I was trying to find it in Hex Workshop but it doesn't find it when I searched; I've never used Hex Editors so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong.

Kos
Pokemon Eevee's Elementals version
Old October 29th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by KosmoF View Post
Do I need to use a Hex Editor to locate the above code? I was trying to find it in Hex Workshop but it doesn't find it when I searched; I've never used Hex Editors so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong.
The "08" represents that it's a hex address, so take the 08 off and you'll be able to find the address.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old October 29th, 2013, 02:33 PM
KosmoF
Diehard Pokemon Fanatic

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to KosmoF Send a message via Yahoo to KosmoF Send a message via Skype™ to KosmoF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
The "08" represents that it's a hex address, so take the 08 off and you'll be able to find the address.
Thanks; I can insert EEVEE's cry now

Kos
Pokemon Eevee's Elementals version
Old November 3rd, 2013, 01:01 PM
GOLDstandard
GoldStandard

Does anybody know how LinkandZelda put the snowy weather effect into Liquid Crystal? I've looked, and can't find anybody that knows how. I hope it's just a limiting byte located somewhere that requires just a simple change
Old November 3rd, 2013, 01:16 PM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDstandard View Post
Does anybody know how LinkandZelda put the snowy weather effect into Liquid Crystal? I've looked, and can't find anybody that knows how. I hope it's just a limiting byte located somewhere that requires just a simple change
It's in A-Map, in the header, under weather type....

Paired with Simba
Old November 3rd, 2013, 01:33 PM
GOLDstandard
GoldStandard

No, not the constant tiny snowflakes one, the one that has three snowflakes falling. I know how to apply the volcanic ash snow haha. They made it work for longer than three snowflakes which is something I've never seen done.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 01:35 PM
Shiny Quagsire
どないやねん, ヤドン

Quote:
No, not the constant tiny snowflakes one, the one that has three snowflakes falling. I know how to apply the volcanic ash snow haha. They made it work for longer than three snowflakes which is something I've never seen done.
I'm pretty sure it's just a limiter, but it could be something a bit more complicated for all we know.

Old November 7th, 2013, 12:18 AM
Deokishisu
Mr. Magius

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
I haven't used that weather in quite a while (like years) but, if I remember right, the weather is continuous if you walk onto the map from a connection. If I'm remembering, it's the warp that limits it to three snowflakes only.

Actually, scratch that, it seems that walking onto the map makes the snowflakes last a few seconds longer than when warping, but that's it. Also, it looks like the darkening effect of it lasts longer-than-average (well, compared to the other weathers, I guess) when walking onto a map that has regular weather set. But what would make the visual snow effect last longer when walking onto a map than when warping onto it?
Old November 11th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Telinc1
Pokémon Trainer

Nature: Quirky
All right, I've got something here that most of you (a.k.a 90% of you) will find useless. This is actually useful if you are using the second floor of the Pokémon Centre in your hack. I personally am, however I have edited the map to remove the Union Room, as even VBA-Link can't simulate the Wireless Adapter properly. As a result, I have moved the Direct Corner, so when exiting from the Colosseum room/Trade room the little door thing appears in the wrong position. After a bit of searching, I found out that the script ran exactly after the big door closes behind you is at 0x081BB34F. Or, if you're just interested in the setmaptile command, it is at 0x081BC03E. I hope that this is helpful to at least one hacker who isn't me.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to clarify that these are actual scripts that can be edited with XSE.

Check out my hacks by clicking on the userbar!
Old November 23rd, 2013, 11:29 PM
kearnseyboy6
Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Here is a little BW script that checks as you ride past the daycare man. Just place it on a script tile (var = 4001):

Spoiler:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @daycare_tile
lock
special 0xB6
compare 0x800D 0x1
if 0x1 goto @prty_check
release
end

#org @prty_check
countpokemon
compare 0x800D 0x6
if 0x1 goto @quit
msgbox @hey 0x4
closeonkeypress
applymovement 0xFF @up
waitmovement 0x0
setvar 0x4001 0x1
release
end

#org @quit
setvar 0x4001 0x1
release
end

#org @hey
= Heeey [player]!\nCome here!

#org @up
#raw 0x1
#raw 0xFE

Last edited by kearnseyboy6; November 24th, 2013 at 04:58 AM. Reason: updated script
Old November 26th, 2013, 07:31 PM
RichterSnipes
Simpleton

Nature: Modest
The (Un)Used Item Obtained Fanfare
For BPRE v1.0

People who've played FR/LG know that the Level Up fanfare also plays any time you obtain an item (unless specified in a scripted event). The offsets that make that so are at 1A6765 and 1A6769. The former's value is that of the tune that plays whenever the XSE parameters MSG_FIND or MSG_OBTAIN functions are called (also, if one finds a hidden item). The latter value is the same, but only applies if the item is a TM or HM.

Both locations have their bytes as 01 01 in the ROM, which corresponds to song 0x101, the Level Up fanfare. You can change these values to refer to whatever tune you'd like. For the sake of making things feel a bit more correct, let's have the former location use the Item Obtained fanfare (0x102) and the latter location use the TM/HM Obtained fanfare (0x105). For this, change the line of bytes from 1A6763 to 1A676A from

Code:
03 31 01 01 03 31 01 01
to

Code:
03 31 02 01 03 31 05 01
Note that this doesn't apply to events that play tunes that are defined in the scripts themselves, like with XSE's "fanfare" command.

Who says hacks have to radically changes things up from their base games?
Red doesn't necessarily think so. He's literally spinning in circles thinking of a "definitive" version of his adventure in Kanto!
Want to see what he has in mind? Click him for a throwback worth experiencing!
Old November 26th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Shiny Quagsire
どないやねん, ヤドン

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichterSnipes View Post
The (Un)Used Item Obtained Fanfare
For BPRE v1.0

People who've played FR/LG know that the Level Up fanfare also plays any time you obtain an item (unless specified in a scripted event). The offsets that make that so are at 1A6765 and 1A6769. The former's value is that of the tune that plays whenever the XSE parameters MSG_FIND or MSG_OBTAIN functions are called (also, if one finds a hidden item). The latter value is the same, but only applies if the item is a TM or HM.

Both locations have their bytes as 01 01 in the ROM, which corresponds to song 0x101, the Level Up fanfare. You can change these values to refer to whatever tune you'd like. For the sake of making things feel a bit more correct, let's have the former location use the Item Obtained fanfare (0x102) and the latter location use the TM/HM Obtained fanfare (0x105). For this, change the line of bytes from 1A6763 to 1A676A from

Code:
03 31 01 01 03 31 01 01
to

Code:
03 31 02 01 03 31 05 01
Note that this doesn't apply to events that play tunes that are defined in the scripts themselves, like with XSE's "fanfare" command.
Nice find, I remember seeing a post a while back that did this via script and I can't help but remember thinking how much better it would be if it were done via ASM.

Old December 18th, 2013, 11:06 AM
itari
悪魔の妹
Community Supporter

Reusable TMs in Emerald

So I was taking a peek through good old reseach and development today when I saw a cute little post about resuable TMs. You know, making TMs act like HMs. After seeing that it had been found on Ruby and FireRed, I thought, why not find it one Emerald? So I did.

To do this little bad boy, go to 0x1B6EE0 in your Emerald ROM and change the A9 there to 90.
Simple as that!

Here's a tiny little explanation for those wondering.

First, 0x1B6EE0 is this little section of code called when a TM or HM is being used. For simplicity's sake, I'll show what is relevant:

Code:
081B6EE0: 20A9 mov r0, #0xA9
081B6EE2: 0040 lsl r0, r0, #0x1
081B6EE4: 4284 cmp r4, r0
081B6EE6: bhi $081B6EF0
What it does, is first take the number A9, and put it in r0. Then, it takes r0 and left shifts it 1. This is the same as multiplying by 2 (A9 << 1 = A9 * 2 = 152). If one was to look at any item editor, they would see that this is the index of TM50 in Emerald. Then, this new value is compared to r4, which has the index of the TM/HM being used. If this number higher, the game knows that an HM was used, so it goes to the relevant area to keep it.

This is where we come in. What we want the game to think is that all TMs are the same as HMs. So, what we need to do is change the index it looks for into the index for the first TM, rather than the first HM. So looking at the items, TM01's index is 121. Dividing this by 2 gives 90, so that is why we put 90. The only downside to doing this really is that item 120 is included in this check, which doesn't matter because it's not a TM anyway (it's the Devon Goods). So there ya have it!

SubscriptAdvanced SongType Effectiveness EditorTilemap CreatorPython IPS Patcher
Old December 18th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Nature: Adamant
I made a script that will allow you to choose how many Pokemon you need to have registered in order to receive a diploma.

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000
//notes
//[buffer1] = the requirement number
//[buffer3] = how many kinds you currently have

#org @main
lock
faceplayer
call @check
msgbox @msg1 MSG_YESNO
compare LASTRESULT 0x0
if 0x1 goto @noyoumaynot
setvar 0x8004 0x0
special2 LASTRESULT 0xD4 //places on var 0x8005 # of Pokemon that you've seen, and on var 0x8006 # of Pokemon that you've caught
buffernumber 0x2 0x8006 //no idea
call @check
compare 0x8006 0xD2 //the second argument should be the amount of Pokemon you're checking for
if 0x0 goto @notmetreq
msgbox @msg4 MSG_KEEPOPEN
waitmsg
pause 0x3C
special 0x187
compare LASTRESULT 0x2
if 0x1 goto @idk
special 0x108
waitstate
release
end

#org @idk
release
end

#org @check
buffernumber 0x0 0xD2 //the second argument should be the amount of Pokemon you're checking for
return

#org @noyoumaynot
msgbox @msg2 MSG_KEEPOPEN
release
end

#org @notmetreq
msgbox @msg3 MSG_KEEPOPEN
release
end

#org @msg1
= Is that right?\pI'm the game designer!\pFilling up your Pokédex is tough,\nbut don't quit!\pMay I check your Pokédex now?

#org @msg2
= No? Well alright then.\pBut if you fill it out completely,\nplease show me!

#org @msg3
= So you've recorded data on [buffer3]\ndifferent Pokémon species[.]\pBut there are more in the Kanto\nregion! I'm sure of it!\pCome show me again when you've\nfound more!

#org @msg4
= So you've recorded data on [buffer3]\ndifferent Pokémon species[.]\pWow! Excellent!\pYou completed your Pokédex!\nCongratulations!\l[.]
You'll notice that for every time I made a comment saying:
Quote:
//the second argument should be the amount of Pokemon you're checking for
my second argument is 0xD2.
0xD2 is hex for 210, which is the amount of Pokemon in my hack's Pokedex.

So say, if your hack had a Pokedex of 251 Pokemon, then you would put the number 0xFB instead. The game will then check if you have that many Pokemon registered in your Pokedex, and if the number matches, it will reward you with a diploma.

For some reason it only shows the National Dex diploma which could be a problem if your hack as a regional dex AND a national dex, but it could be solved simply by altering the tilemap. There's also a hack to have it display any image+text combo you want so it's really not a problem.

The Chaos Emerald ROM Base (it's gonna take awhile)

DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource NOW COMPLETED
Custom Sugimori-style Pokémon Sprite Resource IN PROGRESS

Non-Pokémon hacks I support:
Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete
Old December 20th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Nature: Adamant
In FireRed, 0x0807F938 controls what level the ghost Marowak battle is. The script on the map doesn't actually determine the level even though it may look like it - if you modify the wildbattle command in the script to a different level, the Ghost/Marowak will still be Lv30 no matter what you do. To change the level, you have to change the byte at 0x0807F938, which is part of the routine that controls the ghost battle.

The offset for the whole routine is 0x0807F904.

The Chaos Emerald ROM Base (it's gonna take awhile)

DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource NOW COMPLETED
Custom Sugimori-style Pokémon Sprite Resource IN PROGRESS

Non-Pokémon hacks I support:
Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete
Old December 22nd, 2013, 12:19 PM
DoesntKnowHowToPlay
some loser

The Pickup table in FR is at x250848. Each entry is four bytes- the first two are the index number of an item, the latter two are the odds of the item being obtained plus the value for the previous item.

For example, to interpret the vanilla FR table:

8B 00 0F 00 = 15% (xF = 15) chance of Oran Berry (item x8B)
85 00 19 00 = 10% (x19 - x0F = xA, 10) chance of Cheri Berry (item x85)
86 00 23 00 = 10% (x23 - x19 = xA, 10) chance of Chesto Berry (item x86)
87 00 2D 00 = 10% (x2D - x23 = xA, 10) chance of Cheri Berry (item x87)
88 00 37 00 = 10% (x37 - x2D = xA, 10) chance of Rawst Berry (item x88)
89 00 41 00 = 10% (x41 - x37 = xA, 10) chance of Aspear Berry (item x89)
8C 00 4B 00 = 10% (x4B - x41 = xA, 10) chance of Persim Berry (item x8C)
2A 01 50 00 = 5% (x50 - x4B = x5) chance of TM10 (item x12A)
45 00 55 00 = 5% (x55 - x50 = x5) chance of PP Up (item x45)

...etc. The code responsible for reading this table (and checking if you have pickup, and rolling to see if it even activates at all) starts at x2ce48 (which is also battle script command xE5).

Yet Another Fire Red Hack

Physical/Special Split

Last edited by DoesntKnowHowToPlay; December 22nd, 2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old December 24th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Deokishisu
Mr. Magius

Quote:
Originally Posted by itari View Post
Reusable TMs in Emerald

So I was taking a peek through good old reseach and development today when I saw a cute little post about resuable TMs. You know, making TMs act like HMs. After seeing that it had been found on Ruby and FireRed, I thought, why not find it one Emerald? So I did.

To do this little bad boy, go to 0x1B6EE0 in your Emerald ROM and change the A9 there to 90.
Simple as that!

Here's a tiny little explanation for those wondering.

First, 0x1B6EE0 is this little section of code called when a TM or HM is being used. For simplicity's sake, I'll show what is relevant:

Code:
081B6EE0: 20A9 mov r0, #0xA9
081B6EE2: 0040 lsl r0, r0, #0x1
081B6EE4: 4284 cmp r4, r0
081B6EE6: bhi $081B6EF0
What it does, is first take the number A9, and put it in r0. Then, it takes r0 and left shifts it 1. This is the same as multiplying by 2 (A9 << 1 = A9 * 2 = 152). If one was to look at any item editor, they would see that this is the index of TM50 in Emerald. Then, this new value is compared to r4, which has the index of the TM/HM being used. If this number higher, the game knows that an HM was used, so it goes to the relevant area to keep it.

This is where we come in. What we want the game to think is that all TMs are the same as HMs. So, what we need to do is change the index it looks for into the index for the first TM, rather than the first HM. So looking at the items, TM01's index is 121. Dividing this by 2 gives 90, so that is why we put 90. The only downside to doing this really is that item 120 is included in this check, which doesn't matter because it's not a TM anyway (it's the Devon Goods). So there ya have it!
This may make the TMs reusable, but what about the PP issue? If you can repeatedly use a TM, you can refresh the PP of the move. Like, if I'm mid-Elite Four and have zero PP on Flamethrower, I can use the Flamethrower TM, overwrite the existing Flamethrower move on my Pokemon, and its PP is restored. The true B/W and up functionality will require more code to fix this.

EDIT: I missed a step in restoring PP. Inserting it in the example above, I'd replace the used up PP Flamethrower with another TM move, then I would relearn Flamethrower from the TM again, thus restoring the PP. There has to be another TM move as a middleman.

Last edited by Deokishisu; December 25th, 2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old December 31st, 2013, 08:13 PM
Le pug
Creator of Pokémon: Discovery
Community Supporter

Here is some more research on the emerald specials. Might update in the future. This is an extension to the research provided by droomph at THIS LINK

Emerald specials:
Spoiler:
0xD0 - safari special, adds # of balls and Retire to menu
0xD3 - opens pokeblock case
0xDE - brings up TM page (able or not able)
0xDF - brings up summary page for Buffer1
0xF2 - puts last pokemon in party to sleep
0xF8 - brings up some beauty contest entry in pkmn menu
0xFB - clears all pokemon from party FOR GOOD

**Ace_Master_of_Turtles aka acertony also helped in the above research**

0x101 - "Kobe sends over Dots" you trade buffer1 for a poochyena
0x106 - brings up Berry Blender Max speed record.. doesnt go away until warp
0x111 - fades screen to black except for the SS Anne sprite which is dead center
0x112 - resets the game
0x113 - hall of fame
0x114 - elevator animation and sound effects
0x11C - GOURDON red orb effect
• Check out the most updated Emereld Decapitalization Patch around by clicking here

Last edited by Le pug; January 11th, 2014 at 06:35 PM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here