The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime > Episode Discussion

Notices

Episode Discussion Whether you want to speculate about the upcoming episodes or reminisce about the episodes you watched years ago, Episode Discussion is your place for discussing, speculating, and reviewing all the Pokémon anime episodes.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 26th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Famon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternallyAnna View Post
I love love love Cacnea and I adore James and what I really really want to say about this episode is that if you do not think Carter Cathcart is a good James than you are very very wrong. His voice acting was absolutely wonderful in this. And I love Rocket development because honestly those three really are part of the main cast and are great characters with a great friendship and really deserve some focus time.
I was really angry during this episode .
I mean , Jessic get to keep her Seviper while James had to say goodbye to Cacnea .
It was so unfair .
Ya , Jessie lost her Dustox but she got perfect replacement for it within few episode .
However , James really didn't caught any other Pokemon at al during DP .
It was irritating Jessie get to play DUEL role of both Primary Villain and a contest Rival .
But James was always nothing but a primary villain in every series.
It felt like Jessie getting way more spotlight & glorification then James does .
But again , People doesn't care unless Ash gets little spotlight .

Old September 26th, 2013, 12:48 PM
MIAU
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I did realize that the voice actor was different -- I'm currently watching the original series, like I said before, but even if the voice sounds a bit different, I think that you can still perfectly recognize the character as James without looking at the screen, and that's the most important thing.

I really like to see the Rocket trio being in the spotlight, and the same goes for Ash's traveling companions and their Pokemon, and rivals too. Yup, they all deserve some screen time

Going back to this episode though, I wonder if we'll ever see Cacnea again, and see how much stronger it got?
Old September 26th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Anna
(( and whisper my name as you do it ))
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
re Famon

Yeah, but he got Mime Jr during Battle Frontier and reunited with Carnivine early in Sinnoh. So for a good amount of time he had three Pokémon with him and two were showcase gen 'mon. Jessie had Dustox, Seviper, and Wobbu, parted with Dustox, and caught Yanma -> Yanmega. They each parted with one Pokémon in Sinnoh. There's a reason behind why James never got a replacement for Cacnea, though. Essentially, he and Jess have the same amount of Pokémon after Cacnea leaves. Two. Jess technically is Wobbu's trainer, but she rarely uses him and he tends to act more as Meowth's sidekick (ie independently). So actually, I think the balance is pretty fair.

It would be wonderful if James got a chance to shine somehow, because he's an absolutely wonderful trainer. If he didn't work for Team Rocket and have such good relationships with Jess and Meowth, I'm sure he would flourish as a Breeder or Day-Care Man. But the anime is a travel narrative- everyone is always on the move, and trainers on the move battle. There's no time to set up shop and help Pokémon grow to reach their potential- that's why Brock's original goals weren't too expanded upon during his run. It just clashes with the nature of the series.

@MIAU

It makes me happy to hear that about the voice acting because most of what I hear is complaints. ~_~;
But oh I do wish Cacnea would come back. Perhaps if it gains a branched evolution in an upcoming generation or something. OR A MEGA.
Pairs +
Family +
Nakama +
Signature +
Old September 27th, 2013, 02:41 AM
Famon

Quote:
re Famon

Yeah, but he got Mime Jr during Battle Frontier and reunited with Carnivine early in Sinnoh. So for a good amount of time he had three Pokémon with him and two were showcase gen 'mon. Jessie had Dustox, Seviper, and Wobbu, parted with Dustox, and caught Yanma -> Yanmega. They each parted with one Pokémon in Sinnoh. There's a reason behind why James never got a replacement for Cacnea, though. Essentially, he and Jess have the same amount of Pokémon after Cacnea leaves. Two. Jess technically is Wobbu's trainer, but she rarely uses him and he tends to act more as Meowth's sidekick (ie independently). So actually, I think the balance is pretty fair.

It would be wonderful if James got a chance to shine somehow, because he's an absolutely wonderful trainer. If he didn't work for Team Rocket and have such good relationships with Jess and Meowth, I'm sure he would flourish as a Breeder or Day-Care Man. But the anime is a travel narrative- everyone is always on the move, and trainers on the move battle. There's no time to set up shop and help Pokémon grow to reach their potential- that's why Brock's original goals weren't too expanded upon during his run. It just clashes with the nature of the series.

@MIAU

It makes me happy to hear that about the voice acting because most of what I hear is complaints. ;
But oh I do wish Cacnea would come back. Perhaps if it gains a branched evolution in an upcoming generation or something. OR A MEGA.
If I stand Correctly Then Mime Jr play the same role of Woddu's !
James doesn't use it as much Jessie use her Woddu's .
Mime Jr was more of a Sidekick rather then a Battler .
James seem to had only one Battling Pokemon call Carnival.
Plus I use to believe Woddu as the strongest Pokemon of Team Rocket Trio considering it can repel any move that come toward him.
So , I don't think James & Jessie had same amount of Pokemon.
Its still unfair that Jessie get more Pokemon & get to shine more then James.
If its wrong for Ash to hogged all the spotlight from his gang then its wrong for Jessie to hog all the spotlight from James.
I really wish James could also play the Dual role of Ash's rival & Primary Villain .
The main reason Team Rocket start to suck as both funny Or serious villain because there wasn't any progression in the relationship between Ash & Team Rocket .
By the way , Don't you think ''Sky Battle'' is good chance for James to shine since he does have a talent for Air battle ???

Old September 27th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Anna
Community Supporter

That's fair. I would just say that even though Wobbu is the most powerful, those three don't really know how to utilize that. And I'd also consider Jessie's involvement in contests. That's an activity for which she needs a variety of Pokémon; battling Ash & co doesn't really require more than one Pokémon each and Carnivine does pretty well for that.
Pairs +
Family +
Nakama +
Signature +
Old September 27th, 2013, 10:20 AM
MIAU
Community Supporter

Quote:
I can definitely see James taking care of Grass Pokemon in a beautiful garden. He seems to like Grass-types, and seems like the kind or person to appreciate the beauty in simplicity, just imagine James in his garden, surrounded by pretty flowers, with Victreebel and Cacnea and Carnivine enjoying the greenery! I love how his Pokemon are always so attached to him, so he'd make a perfect caretaker.

I don't really mind that Jessie is getting more attention than James - is she though? - because I think she deserves it just as much as he does, and I actually want to see more episodes based on the TR trio's interaction. And I don't think that the fact that she has more Pokemon means anything, actually, I always felt that James has a much stronger bond with his Pokemon. I mean, just the way they try to swallow him whole as soon as they get out of their Pokeballs, if that's not love, then what is?
Old September 27th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Anna
Community Supporter

That's pretty legit. I mean... considering the Rocket dynamic, Jessie being prominent/active in contests gave all of them more attention. James and Meowth are always supporting her in some way, generally more interactively than the kids do for each other. They're so tight-knit that you really can't feature one without the other two and supporting Pokémon. So any spotlight for any of the TRio is great, really.
Pairs +
Family +
Nakama +
Signature +
Old September 29th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Wobbu
ຯອອ

Nature: Relaxed
It was strange watching this because not too long ago I watched the episode from AG where James caught Cacnea. One of the things about James that makes him a great character is that he actually cares about his Pokémon. Iirc, he's never forcefully caught a Pokémon, but rather asked them for permission before catching them. I can see some traits of N in James, which is unfortunate that they never got to interact with each other.

James technically didn't give away Cacnea, he just let Gardenia borrow it for training. With that in mind, I can see Cacnea making a return someday. As for people who say that Jessie has more Pokémon, here's something: Jessie currently has Wobbuffet on hand, Seviper and Yanmega at HQ, no Pokémon in training, and no Pokémon at home. James currently has no Pokémon on hand, Mime Jr. and Carnivine at HQ, Cacnea in training, and Growlithe and Chimecho at home.

Old September 30th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Anna
Community Supporter

^ legit. James currently has less Pokémon, but he's trained and bonded with far more than Jess.

Since we had a nice talk about Rocket dynamics, let's keep on with them! The Chronicles episode "Training Daze" apparently contradicts much of the TRio's Kanto & Johto-revealed backstory, but I can't really say how much or if there's a plausible workaround in the timelines. We'll talk. Streaming tomorrow for sure, time may vary- I'm looking at 9pm Central. Keep an eye on the Streaming Thread for updates~
Pairs +
Family +
Nakama +
Signature +
Old October 2nd, 2013, 06:34 PM
Roxanne Rosie
a fiery passion
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
oh wow, this was a good episode. I've never really known TRs backstory other than in the few seasons I've seen, but they were really serious then. It makes me wonder how they got so silly.

And Biff Bob Hutch Butch and Cassidy make an appearance yey
and that theme, ugh its so bad

pairs!
wac!

Old October 3rd, 2013, 10:17 PM
Wobbu
ຯອອ

Very interesting episode. The only TR backstory episodes that I've watched are "Go West, Young Meowth," the one where Jessie reunites with her friend Chansey from that nurse school, and the episode where James is reunited with that crazy girl that wants to marry him. What I'm curious to know is how this episode is a contradiction. I guess I don't know my TRology.

One: I can't believe that there was actually a time when Jessie and James were ahead of Botch and Cassidy.

Two: Watching this episode is really ruining my patience with only watching dubbed episodes. I want Wobbuffet to back back in the dub, NOW. But I still have to wait 10ish weeks :( I bring this up because TR reunites with Wobbuffet at HQ (at least that's where I think it was), where this episode takes place. I have a no-sub policy for some reason...

Three:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyskitty View Post
And Biff Bob Hutch Butch and Cassidy make an appearance yey
and that theme, ugh its so bad
Hahaha, I laugh every time someone mangles Batch's name. Also laughing at that Team Rocket theme song xD

Old October 4th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Anna
Community Supporter

Everybody in the stream was singin Double Trouble (ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・

The only way this episode was rather contradictory is that J&J knew each other beforehand and it was played out as if they didn't. They had previously attended Pokémon Tech (getting the lowest scores in history) and were in a bike gang together (James had training wheels what a cute dork). And they were friends; they didn't just happen to be in the same places at the same times. Considering they weren't doing those things while involved with Team Rocket, they must have happened before Training Daze. It's just weird that there's no mention of previous affiliation.
Pairs +
Family +
Nakama +
Signature +
Old October 5th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Roxanne Rosie
a fiery passion
Community Supporter

I don't remember them being in Pokemon Tech, I just remember Jesse being in the bike gang and vaguely remember James in it to. But looking at the ep. numbers, they are from very early episodes so I wouldn't remember anyway ◕‿‿◕

pairs!
wac!

Old October 6th, 2013, 07:11 AM
MIAU
Community Supporter

Watched the episode with my boyfriend for pizza night earlier this week. He doesn't play nor watch Pokemon, but he remembers stuff from years ago when he was a kid and watched the anime on TV, so as we were watching he thought "wait a minute, weren't TR supposed to be complete idiots?"

So yeah, kind of surprising to see them in a new light, where stuff actually go their way in the end.

Now, about Pokemon Tech, I completely forgot about that episode, so I don't really remember if they went there together, as in if they knew each other back then. But I do remember about the bike gang, and I thought that happened before they joined TR, so how come they didn't know each other? So kinda contradictory, yeah, but I guess this is Chronicles, which is sort of a side series, right? I didn't even know about it
Old October 6th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Wobbu
ຯອອ

Whoops, I forgot about that bridge episode (even though it was one of the first episodes of Pokémon that I've ever watched).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAU View Post
So kinda contradictory, yeah, but I guess this is Chronicles, which is sort of a side series, right? I didn't even know about it.
I'm with MIAU on this one. I've never even heard of Chronicles until I watched this episode, but maybe it's some non canon series just for fun? Or maybe the writers forgot some things?

Just realizes that it's Monday after posting...

Last edited by Wobbu; October 6th, 2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: It's still Sunday in some parts of the world...
Old October 6th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Anna
Community Supporter

idk Chronicles is supposed to be like... little specials with past companions/characters that don't feature as much in the series. I think Oak/Delia/Tracey are in a bunch, Gary's got one, there's a few for the TRio. This is where Jimmy & Marnia are from, Brock had an ep, Misty had an few, Casey and Ritchie even show up haha. So it's technically a canon side-series. It's really pretty much only Training Daze that doesn't really match up to main canon.

I suppose it can be written off as like, they had a falling-out or separated at some point between events. But it still is weird because those two splitting up is p much absolutely inconceivable.
Pairs +
Family +
Nakama +
Signature +
Old October 6th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Wobbu
ຯອອ

Quote:
idk Chronicles is supposed to be like... little specials with past companions/characters that don't feature as much in the series. I think Oak/Delia/Tracey are in a bunch, Gary's got one, there's a few for the TRio. This is where Jimmy & Marnia are from, Brock had an ep, Misty had an few, Casey and Ritchie even show up haha. So it's technically a canon side-series. It's really pretty much only Training Daze that doesn't really match up to main canon.
It's strange that Training Daze is the only episode from Chronicles with the canon-breaking shenanigans. I really want to watch the rest of the episodes now... I say we do the whole series for next week's WAC :P
Quote:
I suppose it can be written off as like, they had a falling-out or separated at some point between events. But it still is weird because those two splitting up is p much absolutely inconceivable.
Maybe they were disgruntled during their blast off, so they remembered the story incorrectly while telling it. That's all I got haha

Old October 7th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Anna
Community Supporter

I was thinking about expanding the episode count for each week but not a whole series lol. I'd like to see more Chronicles as well though so if anyone wants to suggest eps than go ahead! Y'all have been slacking on that haha.

But this week includes Sammyskitty's birthday! He's requested his very favourite arc which is the Sabrina arc. So that's three episodes for the week- Abra and the Psychic Showdown, The Tower of Terror, and Haunter Versus Kadabra (OS 022-024). I'll be streaming them tomorrow at probably 9-ish Central time and Dev said he's probably stream at some point so keep an eye on the streaming thread. :D
Pairs +
Family +
Nakama +
Signature +
Old October 10th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Roxanne Rosie
a fiery passion
Community Supporter

ahhhhh sabrina, my favorite gym leader mainly due to this arc ahhhh
I remember watching Abra and the Psychic Showdown for hours and hours upon end as a child. Seriously its so creepy and I love it. My favorite part of course is when they get teleported to the doll world and brock tries to eat the plastic cake and Ash stumbles onto the doll bathing and aaaah its so good

And Tower of Terror is really good as well. It starts out so seriously and then just devolves when Ash gets out of his body and he's so careless omg dropping Misty like that

And again another creepy one in Haunter vs. Kadabra when Haunter leaves Ash and makes Brock and Misty becomes dolls and then that TR scene aaaah

pairs!
wac!

Old October 11th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Anna
Community Supporter

The Sabrina episodes are so crazy like wow. A psychoanalyst could have a lot of fun with that girl. It doesn't help that dolls tend to creep my out like crazy and w/e. & Ash mistaking Sabrina's dad for a photographer is always funny.

aslo: so. much. pokéshipping.
Pairs +
Family +
Nakama +
Signature +
Old October 11th, 2013, 12:23 PM
MIAU
Community Supporter

First off, happy birthday to Sammyskitty

And man, was the anime really random back then or what? The whole thing with Sabrina turning people into dolls was really freaky, and then we have Ash and Pikachu leaving their bodies and flying around with the Ghost-types, what was even going on?

Pikachu has a thunderbolts patterned blanket though, how cute is that

And Ash gets his badge by making the opponent laugh. Though seeing Kadabra ROFL like that was hilarious.
Old October 13th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Wobbu
ຯອອ

The Sabrina arc is my second favorite Gym Leader arc of the Kanto series, topped by Blaine. Very strange seeing the gang in doll form and that creepy little girl thing that Sabrina has. My favorite of the three episodes is definitely The Tower of Terror. I always get a kick out of Ghost Pokémon causing comedic disturbances. I wish that there was a little more emphasis on Lavender Town's creepiness, though. I'm assuming that every other Trainer who challenged Sabrina went through the same process? I'm a little confused on the whole situation.

Happy late birthday Sammyskitty!

Old October 25th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Anna
Community Supporter

Sorry about the delay between episodes; was rather busy making some Halloween events!

Watch-Along Club is going to be part of the event, of course. Our episodes are numerous and various streams will be done, so feel free to chat about/compare/watch anything on the list!

OS020: Ghost of Maiden's Peak
OS022-24: Sabrina Trilogy
OS232: Just Waiting on a Friend
DP090: Ghoul Daze
BW026: Scare at the Litwick Mansion
Origins: Lavender Town
Pairs +
Family +
Nakama +
Signature +
Old October 28th, 2013, 04:52 AM
Elaitenstile
I am legend

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
Wow! Totally joining this for the ORIGINS: LAVENDER TOWN part.
I <3 ORIGINS SOO MUCH IT MAKES ME WANT TO CATCH UP TO THE ANIME AGAIN

I generally liked the episodes and the... oops, better spoiler it!
Spoiler:
I really loved the emotional Marowak and Cubone story... it was heartbreaking (OMG GREEN WHY DO YOU CHICKENN) but the end wasn't called for IMO.

Trick or Treat!
Old October 29th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Wobbu
ຯອອ

Ghost of Maiden's Peak

This episode was very intriguing. The Ghost of Maiden's Peak died waiting for her husband to return from war. It's a sad story but I'm glad that Gastly continues to keep her story alive. The part when Gastly attacks the gang is one of the strangest moments I've witnessed in the anime because of the mongoose and Venustoise. The part at the end when all of the little boats with candles on them that guide the way for spirits reminds me of a scene from one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

Sabrina Gym Arc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsziede View Post
The Sabrina arc is my second favorite Gym Leader arc of the Kanto series, topped by Blaine. Very strange seeing the gang in doll form and that creepy little girl thing that Sabrina has. My favorite of the three episodes is definitely The Tower of Terror. I always get a kick out of Ghost Pokémon causing comedic disturbances. I wish that there was a little more emphasis on Lavender Town's creepiness, though. I'm assuming that every other Trainer who challenged Sabrina went through the same process? I'm a little confused on the whole situation.

Just Waiting on a Friend

This episode is similar to the Ghost of Maiden's Peak because Brock is once again fooled by an illusion. I liked this episode a lot because of the mysterious environment. Watching Ash and Misty figure out that Lokoko wasn't real was fun because of the clues that we're given. This episode also gave us some interesting Pokéhistory and that 200+ year old Poké Ball was cool.

Ghoul Daze

It's nice to see Ash taking some responsibility for being a Pokémon Trainer and going to summer courses. I haven't watched the other episodes of this arc but I'm sure that this episode would be my favorite. It was interesting finding out that Trainers can learn how to approach Ghost Pokémon. I found it strange that that one partnerless guy didn't find anything odd about that creepy little girl. I was disappointed that the Trainers weren't actually taught how to approach Ghost Pokémon, instead they were just let loose on the trail. Dusknoir :3

Scare at the Litwick Mansion

This was my favorite of the episodes for this week's WAC. So it starts off with the typical "It's raining! Let's go hide in this random mansion!" Of course TR is there by coincidence, setting up a Team Rocket Unova base. I thought the first half was kind of funny, but then things changed during the second half. Seeing TR with their life being drained was really creepy. When the room turned into a portal to the spirit world was my favorite part. Lampent put up a pretty good fight.

Cubone

I'm waiting for the dub :\

Trick or Treat!
:P

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links