Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology
Reload this Page DCC Developers, developers, developers, developers

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Closed Thread

Old September 25th, 2013 (04:56 PM).
ModeratorCS

Nature: Jolly
I haven't touched my laptop in a few weeks now because of my tablet. And speaking of using the tablet while laying down, I lied down with my tablet for the first time since I've owned it last night and it didn't seem to hurt at all.. maybe because my tablet is 7 inches, and not 10 inches like a normal-sized iPad.
Old September 25th, 2013 (05:14 PM).
A Scene In Between
ModeratorBSCS

My tablet is not that big, either. It's only nine inches, I think. It weighs around six to nine ounces though, which is a lot heavier than my phone. I don't know, maybe I'm just not used to holding up things that are as heavy as that while laying down. xD" That's probably why my hand hurts.
Old September 25th, 2013 (05:52 PM).

I'm at least glad that my tablet is able to fit into my pockets with other objects.. because it's at least 7 inches and I don't really care for larger sizes. The larger the size the less the portability, IMO.
Old September 25th, 2013 (11:22 PM).
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier

Nature: Hasty
I have a hard time finding a productive use for a 7" tablet. There's not enough screen area for a lot of things I'd like to use when you scale them up.
Old September 26th, 2013 (02:42 AM).
ModeratorCS

Quote originally posted by ♪Twiggy♪:
I have a hard time finding a productive use for a 7" tablet. There's not enough screen area for a lot of things I'd like to use when you scale them up.
It's different on the 2013 Nexus 7, that's for sure.. the 1920x1200 resolution surely does help as it makes things larger and I have no problem with using it, especially when it comes to multitasking (IRC + web browsing), although it does involve a lot of switching back-and-forth. And at least my tablet isn't like other 7" tablets that are only 800x480 in resolution..
Old September 26th, 2013 (04:53 AM).
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier

I prefer absolute screen area over pixels

I don't like things going smaller than a specific size. Resolution doesn't tell me size of objects with no PPI number. Even with a 1366x768 display, with 10", I can get away with 1:1. Things are still large enough to see and tap, even on the desktop.

Also, I don't like scaling up anything that isn't designed to be scaled up. Having a usable 1:1 desktop and web browsing means a lot to me.
Old September 26th, 2013 (09:03 AM).
Kicking against the earth!
Silver Tier

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to countryemo
Oh gosh. I have my laptop right now. Big ol 17 hp laptop. Also have the Nexus 10 and my phone. I prefer using my laptop even for simple stuff. Youtube, Netflix, Web Browsing, Music. I use my tablet when I don't have access to my laptop, who feel like it, but I don't like browsing the web on the smaller stuff, at all.
Old September 26th, 2013 (06:28 PM).
ModeratorCS

Decided to finally go the way to root my Nexus 7 tablet.. hopefully the ROM I load onto it will be stable and hopefully no more random reboots.
Old September 26th, 2013 (08:16 PM).
Platinum Tier

Nature: Serious
What do you need a custom ROM for with your Nexus 7?
Old September 26th, 2013 (08:27 PM).
ModeratorCS

Quote originally posted by Seattle:
What do you need a custom ROM for with your Nexus 7?
As I stated, I got fed up with the random reboots within the stock ROM and I'm hoping that the ROM I flashed onto it is more stable.
Old September 26th, 2013 (09:01 PM).
Platinum Tier

Nature: Serious
^That sounds like a huge problem, especially for a stock ROM.
Old September 26th, 2013 (10:46 PM).
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier

If your device is getting random reboots, it might not be a software issue. You might want to get it serviced before flashing a custom ROM.
Old September 27th, 2013 (05:53 AM).
Banned

Nature: Sassy
Quote originally posted by ZachLMedia:
As I stated, I got fed up with the random reboots within the stock ROM and I'm hoping that the ROM I flashed onto it is more stable.
One of the problems with the new 7 is random reboots. A custom ROM might help that actually since random reboots at times can be caused by faulty software. Of course, it is one of the known problems so I'd take a look at XDA tbqh.
Old September 27th, 2013 (05:58 AM).
ModeratorCS

Quote originally posted by Mac:
One of the problems with the new 7 is random reboots. A custom ROM might help that actually since random reboots at times can be caused by faulty software. Of course, it is one of the known problems so I'd take a look at XDA tbqh.
A custom ROM indeed. I have Paranoid Android (just as you suggested Mac) on here now. And so far I really like the customization.

Spoiler:

It's just that in the process, stupid me decided not to take a backup of his tablet and I lost everything in the unlock process and I had thought Google would restore everything because I backed up everything to them (pictures, apps & such) but nope all I got was browser data
Old September 27th, 2013 (06:32 AM).
Banned

Nature: Sassy
That sucks man. :( I hope you enjoy PA though. I am trying out SlimBean right now -- it's pretty awesome so far. B)
Old September 27th, 2013 (07:40 AM).
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier

Speaking of backups, that's a big reason why I always keep my backups offline. Not relying on the cloud and not missing anything have their benefits.
Old September 27th, 2013 (09:23 AM).
ModeratorCS

Speaking of backups, I need to create a system image disk for my desktop and get a backup of it onto my external HDD. I've really been meaning to do that for months now and I've just been procrastinating at that.
Old September 27th, 2013 (09:47 AM).
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier

Speaking of backups, I need to create a system image disk for my desktop and get a backup of it onto my external HDD. I've really been meaning to do that for months now and I've just been procrastinating at that.
I prefer Windows 8's File History and it's own recovery as it saved space and tends to be easier to use, as well as being able to cache backups. Still, a system image does have its uses.
Old September 27th, 2013 (09:51 AM).

Backups? I don't bother with my computer but I try to do it with my phone, especially my old Samsung as I used a lot of custom ROMs and I had to back up data/ROMs to my sd card.
Old September 27th, 2013 (10:16 AM).
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Pära:
Backups? I don't bother with my computer but I try to do it with my phone, especially my old Samsung as I used a lot of custom ROMs and I had to back up data/ROMs to my sd card.
You really should do it with your computer as it's also a point of failure for your phone data.

I'm thinking of upgrading my laptop's memory to the maximum supported configuration, which would be 32GB/DDR3-1600 by chipset. I keep thinking that this would be a waste of money.
Old September 27th, 2013 (12:13 PM).
ModeratorCS

Hmm, so the Android browser runs much smoother than Google Chrome, although it can be a pain having to open up Google on every new tab instead of a list of recent sites I've visited.
Old September 27th, 2013 (09:19 PM).
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier

Hmm, so the Android browser runs much smoother than Google Chrome, although it can be a pain having to open up Google on every new tab instead of a list of recent sites I've visited.
Sometimes I think it's best to stick with the latest version of the default browser for a given device, since it's the one that's designed and/or customised with the hardware and operating system in mind. If the device has its own browser, I tend to use installed browsers as secondary browsers.
Old September 27th, 2013 (11:58 PM).
A Scene In Between
ModeratorBSCS

I tend to use Opera Mini in all of my mobile devices. Well, except my laptop. Opera opens up itself as soon as you click on it, it runs very smoothly, and it has a beautiful user interface that makes it very easy for us to navigate to things. Plus, Opera Mini saves you a lot of data, which helps you to keep your phone bills at a reasonable level. The only thing that I don't like about this browser, though, is that it randomly closes itself every now and then without any sorts of warning. I've asked for help regarding this issue on the Opera support forums, but nobody seemed to be able to figure out any solutions. D:
Old September 28th, 2013 (12:35 AM).
You like dragons?
Crystal Tier

Does Opera Mini restore last opened tabs at the very least in the event of an unexpected shutdown?
Old September 28th, 2013 (01:18 AM).
A Scene In Between
ModeratorBSCS

You cannot reopen your last tabs, unfortunately. You may be able to perform this task in the regular Opera, but there's no option for that in the mini version. ): I have no problem with the unexpected shutdowns, because I can easily open up the browser again and revisit my previous websites from the history, but it can get a bit frustrating if it does that when you're in the middle of something important (such as when writing a long forum post).

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)