Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation
Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

View Poll Results: Which starter in Pokemon F\L
Bulbasaur 27 26.21%
Charmander 51 49.51%
Squirtle 25 24.27%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 1st, 2013, 03:13 AM
TheAmazingSpiderMan
Aka Ansirent

Nature: Gentle

Advertise here
Hey guys now what you think which is the best Starter in Pokemon Fire red and Leaf Green?

1.Bulbasaur

2.Charmander

3.Squirtle

Please post in this thread

Thank you
Old October 1st, 2013, 03:58 AM
Fiery Dash

If we are talking about favorite starter by not the competitive aspect, then that spot belongs to Squirtle! I love Water Pokemon, so that naturally makes it as favorite.

But my favorite Pokemon by competitive among these three adorable kids is Charmander. Self explanatory.
Old October 1st, 2013, 04:01 AM
Powalen
the Dark Sovereign

I really like all 3 of these so picking a favorite is hard, but I am going to go with Squirtle. Squirtle was my first starter ever so it holds a special place in my heart and I will always use it if I have an opportunity to do so as I did many times in FR/LG.

"By force of will!"
Old October 1st, 2013, 06:25 AM
Rei Shingetsu
真月 零

Nature: Sassy
Bulbasaur for me.
I used to like Charmander most but I am unsure why Bulbasaur took it's place when I started FRLG.

BARIAN EMPEROR

. R E I . S H I N G E T S U .

Old October 1st, 2013, 11:36 AM
pokemasta92
3rd Gen. Enthusiast

Nature: Naughty
Charmander because its final evolve form has the power of flight! No one seems to ever mention this. People that like him always talk about the literal fire power and how fire types are the greatest. Fire is my favorite type, but regardless of what type Charizard is, he has wings! He is the only flying starter Pokémon as of now and that gives him an automatic over all the others (except Pikachu).
I don't use "uber" Pokémon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Old October 1st, 2013, 01:06 PM
Altair
Incognito

Nature: Brave
It would have to be Charmander for me. Despite the fact it has a disadvantage for the first 2 Gyms, it can easily overcome the first one with it's new Metal Claw move.
Once it becomes a Charizard it's a reliable Pokemon in-game. It's secondary typing is very useful, it can be taught Fly.

I never really liked using Bulbasaur, I will use it soon though as I'm planning to play Leafgreen after finishing Sapphire...

Squirtle becomes a tank of Pokemon. It's also very useful with it's Surfing capabilities. It comes as a close second.
Old October 1st, 2013, 04:24 PM
pompayyy
Forever and Ever

Nature: Relaxed
I'm going with Bulbasaur since it's unique. in fact in Japanese, its name literally translates to "isn't it strange?" Plus its so freaking cute.

Pink Moon is on its way.

Old October 1st, 2013, 08:41 PM
Negix

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Negix
I'm a huge squirtle fan, so definitely him. It was the best to start with IMO. You could easily beat half of the gyms with it. And if you teach it moves like Ice Beam and Bite, you pretty much have a power house capable of taking on mostly all of the trainers in the game.
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:08 PM
TheAmazingSpiderMan
Aka Ansirent

Well guys if you ask me I like Charmander very much. It is the strongest Pokemon of all starters. and you can beat all the gym leaders and its also useful in Elite four. It can learn strong moves like Overheat,Flamethrower etc etc. but you know only with one Pokemon no one can win to 8th gym, We need other strong Pokemon but I think Charmander is best starter. But when it evolves it doesn't look too cute but its fine for me.

Last edited by TheAmazingSpiderMan; October 1st, 2013 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old October 2nd, 2013, 04:05 PM
Sheep

Nature: Timid
Squirtle! I'd evolve mine to Wartortle and keep it that way. Not the strongest but my favorite design-wise, plus he can always pick up Ice Beam and Bite along the way.

rockin' | family | my star | twin
club 1 club 2 club 3 LV
Old October 5th, 2013, 06:31 AM
Ari Niko
Sincerity

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirno View Post
Squirtle! I'd evolve mine to Wartortle and keep it that way. Not the strongest but my favorite design-wise, plus he can always pick up Ice Beam and Bite along the way.
That's rather unique. Most of the time people despise the 2nd evos in starters! Nice that you have a rather unique opinion
5026-4431-0126 - 3DS FC | Soundcloud
Old October 6th, 2013, 04:09 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
Squirtle for me as it evoles into my favorite starter Blastoise.
Old October 20th, 2013, 06:52 AM
johnnyman

Bulbasaur, because it's awesome.
Old October 20th, 2013, 06:58 AM
LusoTrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Niko View Post
That's rather unique. Most of the time people despise the 2nd evos in starters! Nice that you have a rather unique opinion
I do the same with Ivysaur.
Old October 20th, 2013, 09:58 AM
NavyBlue
Artist

Nature: Modest
Squirtle; I love it's design, for the evolutions, as well.
Also, I like it's moveset when it is fully evolved into Blastoise!

Good day.
Old October 20th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Sydian
But you're still hungry.

Nature: Timid
Sorry, but that thread title grammar was gnawing at me and I had to fix it, lol. Anyway, I think they're all great, but I prefer Charmander. :)

paired to crono
Old October 20th, 2013, 01:30 PM
lazybones1122
Dovahkiin

Nature: Lax
I personally think Charmander is the best (I love fire types), but strategically think that Bulbasuar is the best since its super effective against Brock and Misty.
Despite the lies that you're making
Your love is mine for the taking
My love is, just waiting, to turn your tears to roses
Old November 5th, 2013, 07:18 AM
Snorlax44

Nature: Relaxed
My vote goes to Bulbasaur as it is very useful and gives perfect start to play Fr & Lg
Old November 5th, 2013, 10:26 AM
sum182

I go for Charmander, because I always have, even from normal RED. However, Squirtle has a better moveset imo. Generally, i'll Roll Blastoise with Surf, Bite, Earthquake, and Ice Beam. Takes down pretty much everything
Old November 5th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Lesqx
eRepublik Player

Nature: Quiet
Vote -> Squirtle
Why? Because, i always pick water type pokemon (my love ), have great moveset, blastoise have really good stats etc etc.

Pokemons are an­gels who lift us to our feet when our win­gs ha­ve troub­le re­mem­be­ring how to life

►►► ►►►
Old November 6th, 2013, 02:50 AM
TheAmazingSpiderMan
Aka Ansirent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesqx View Post
Vote -> Squirtle
Why? Because, i always pick water type pokemon (my love ), have great moveset, blastoise have really good stats etc etc.
Am.. yeah Blastoise is a well designed great monster type Pokemon. And well Blastoise isn't too well at Stats however....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainer_Altair :
It would have to be Charmander for me. Despite the fact it has a disadvantage for the first 2 Gyms, it can easily overcome the first one with it's new Metal Claw move.
Once it becomes a Charizard it's a reliable Pokemon in-game. It's secondary typing is very useful, it can be taught Fly.

I never really liked using Bulbasaur, I will use it soon though as I'm planning to play Leafgreen after finishing Sapphire...

Squirtle becomes a tank of Pokemon. It's also very useful with it's Surfing capabilities. It comes as a close second.
Well yeah and I don't think he is bad in first 2 gyms. Maybe I had beat Brock's Geodude in 2 or 3 hits. And well Onix was a hard one. Well hey I also don't like Bulbasaur very much but Bulbasaur isn't bad though. And yeah i useful about water capabilities as you said, It also has disadvantage while beating the league.

Quote:
Originally posted by Crino :
Yeah Sqirtle is well at design also Blastoise, I also like it from the Design way though it doesn't perform well in League and some gym battle.

Quote:
Originally posted by pokemasta92 :
Charmander because its final evolve form has the power of flight! No one seems to ever mention this. People that like him always talk about the literal fire power and how fire types are the greatest. Fire is my favorite type, but regardless of what type Charizard is, he has wings! He is the only flying starter Pokémon as of now and that gives him an automatic over all the others (except Pikachu).
Well we have common choices yeah I also Like Charmander for both it's design and its base stat. And yeah his wings look great but after he got evolved to Charizard I didn't found a attractive thing in him. Well after Charmeleon evolves to Charizard it doesn't look good in design for me but it's great however.
Old November 6th, 2013, 03:35 AM
Orifiel
Priestess

Nature: Lonely
Charmander and Squirtle are good. (Bulbasaur, yeah.. just.. no)
But just by looking at evolution forms, I would say that Charizard had the best design.
So yeah, I'm going for Charmander. Sorry, Squirtle
~ Pair | Character | Previously L96 ~
Old November 6th, 2013, 04:03 AM
Lolman112

I choose bulbasaur! I don't know why but he has something.
In emerald I used to be jealous on other trainers in Battle Frontier because they had the other starters and they looked way better then mine.

I want a Gameboy color!!!
Old November 6th, 2013, 04:37 AM
Batty

Nature: Bold
I'm going to say Bulbasaur (for FR/LG.) Bulbasaur will help you with the first couple gyms, and will be resistant to the third gym. And by the third gym, you should have some other Pokemon to battle with anyway. So it works out well. Bulbasaur also learns Leech Seed which can be a life saver many times in the game when you run out of medicine.

Competitively, I am going to say Blastoise. It learns Rapid Spin, is bulky, and is Water type. Charizard and Venusaur have more weaknesses. I can't judge movesets as I do not recall generation 3 movesets.
Old November 6th, 2013, 04:44 AM
TheAmazingSpiderMan
Aka Ansirent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batty View Post
I'm going to say Bulbasaur (for FR/LG.) Bulbasaur will help you with the first couple gyms, and will be resistant to the third gym. And by the third gym, you should have some other Pokemon to battle with anyway. So it works out well. Bulbasaur also learns Leech Seed which can be a life saver many times in the game when you run out of medicine.

Competitively, I am going to say Blastoise. It learns Rapid Spin, is bulky, and is Water type. Charizard and Venusaur have more weaknesses. I can't judge movesets as I do not recall generation 3 movesets.
Yeah can't forget Bulbasaur

Quote:
Orignally posted by L96 :
Charmander and Squirtle are good. (Bulbasaur, yeah.. just.. no)
But just by looking at evolution forms, I would say that Charizard had the best design.
So yeah, I'm going for Charmander. Sorry, Squirtle
Am.. yeah Chaizard is great but not too well at design though.

Quote:
Originally posted by LolMan112 :
I choose bulbasaur! I don't know why but he has something.
In emerald I used to be jealous on other trainers in Battle Frontier because they had the other starters and they looked way better then mine.
Yeah Bulbasaur isn't bad it's amazingly well at design and too cute also but not too useful in League.

So Batty and Lolman112 are Allies huh ? Well Bulbasaur is great no Doubt but it has some weakness.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here