• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

3rd Gen Which starter do you think is the best?

Which starter in Pokemon F\L

• Total voters

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
Years
Hey guys now what you think which is the best Starter in Pokemon Fire red and Leaf Green?

1.Bulbasaur

2.Charmander

3.Squirtle

Please post in this thread

Thank you

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
If we are talking about favorite starter by not the competitive aspect, then that spot belongs to Squirtle! I love Water Pokemon, so that naturally makes it as favorite.

But my favorite Pokemon by competitive among these three adorable kids is Charmander. Self explanatory.

Sirfetch’d

I really like all 3 of these so picking a favorite is hard, but I am going to go with Squirtle. Squirtle was my first starter ever so it holds a special place in my heart and I will always use it if I have an opportunity to do so as I did many times in FR/LG.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
Bulbasaur for me.
I used to like Charmander most but I am unsure why Bulbasaur took it's place when I started FRLG.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 28, 2021
Charmander because its final evolve form has the power of flight! No one seems to ever mention this. People that like him always talk about the literal fire power and how fire types are the greatest. Fire is my favorite type, but regardless of what type Charizard is, he has wings! He is the only flying starter Pokémon as of now and that gives him an automatic over all the others (except Pikachu).

Altair1

Willpower
Years
It would have to be Charmander for me. Despite the fact it has a disadvantage for the first 2 Gyms, it can easily overcome the first one with it's new Metal Claw move.
Once it becomes a Charizard it's a reliable Pokemon in-game. It's secondary typing is very useful, it can be taught Fly.

I never really liked using Bulbasaur, I will use it soon though as I'm planning to play Leafgreen after finishing Sapphire...

Squirtle becomes a tank of Pokemon. It's also very useful with it's Surfing capabilities. It comes as a close second.

Years
I'm a huge squirtle fan, so definitely him. It was the best to start with IMO. You could easily beat half of the gyms with it. And if you teach it moves like Ice Beam and Bite, you pretty much have a power house capable of taking on mostly all of the trainers in the game.

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
Years
Well guys if you ask me I like Charmander very much. It is the strongest Pokemon of all starters. and you can beat all the gym leaders and its also useful in Elite four. It can learn strong moves like Overheat,Flamethrower etc etc. but you know only with one Pokemon no one can win to 8th gym, We need other strong Pokemon but I think Charmander is best starter. But when it evolves it doesn't look too cute but its fine for me.

Last edited:
Years
Squirtle! I'd evolve mine to Wartortle and keep it that way. Not the strongest but my favorite design-wise, plus he can always pick up Ice Beam and Bite along the way.

Ari Niko

Sincerity
Years
Squirtle! I'd evolve mine to Wartortle and keep it that way. Not the strongest but my favorite design-wise, plus he can always pick up Ice Beam and Bite along the way.

That's rather unique. Most of the time people despise the 2nd evos in starters! Nice that you have a rather unique opinion :P

NavyBlue

Hoenn Lover
Years
Squirtle; I love it's design, for the evolutions, as well.
Also, I like it's moveset when it is fully evolved into Blastoise!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Sorry, but that thread title grammar was gnawing at me and I had to fix it, lol. Anyway, I think they're all great, but I prefer Charmander. :)

lazybones1122

Dovahkiin
Years
I personally think Charmander is the best (I love fire types), but strategically think that Bulbasuar is the best since its super effective against Brock and Misty.

Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2016
I go for Charmander, because I always have, even from normal RED. However, Squirtle has a better moveset imo. Generally, i'll Roll Blastoise with Surf, Bite, Earthquake, and Ice Beam. Takes down pretty much everything

Lesqx

eRepublik Player
Years
Vote -> Squirtle
Why? Because, i always pick water type pokemon (my love ^^), have great moveset, blastoise have really good stats etc etc. :)

Back