• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Did You Ever Get Emotional in Mystery Dungeon?

*Icecold*

Bow down to Queen Meowstic
Years
For Blue Rescue, I had already heard what happened so I only shrugged when it happened. For a little kid who had no idea what was getting ready to happen, they may cry. I didn't, and the entire ending was lame if you ask me... It's like "Okay bye" and then while the light lifts up to the sky, you go "Alright, I'm going back down" and it's like nothing even happened!

Explorers of Sky made my heart ache, but I didn't cry. It was still really, really sad though! I felt so bad for my Meowth partner! He went months without his best friend.

But the saddest I've ever gotten was in Gates of Infinity. Awesome game, by the way. The ending actually made my eyes water! Especially when you had already heard that your partner was an orphan with no family... DANG IT CREATURES INC AND GAME FREAK! DANG IT!

Years
Oh, man. I was prepared for a different experience but I was not prepared for what PMD: Explorers of Time did to me. No way. Nothing could have prepared me for the emotional washing machine I was basically thrown into. Jesus, that was probably the most heartbreaking game I've ever played. I really think what did it was the actual friendship formed between the Pokemon. In regular Pokemon, it's really sad when, like in the first movie, either the human or the Pokemon goes through a tough time and the other is there to comfort them, but seeing the friendship between the Pokemon was kind of like seeing friendship between humans akin to the relationships of, say, the pack in Teen Wolf. It's a very tightly knitted group of friends staying together by primal instinct, and when one member leaves or dies for reasons like that in PMD: EoT it's just, like, ten times sadder. :/

I'm planning on downloading it as a ROM again because I remember I played my sister's cartridge and I literally stayed up all night playing it. I started at 10pm and finished somewhere around 7am without taking a break. So worth it. I was so impressed with the game and I think I fell asleep with tear tracks on my face, haha.

Purple skies

Kittycanes777
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 2, 2023
I did get a little emotional at one point after when I first heard about it and it made me sad a little but it came through my childhood memeroies

Years
Oh man who doesn't feel emotional playing PMD?

Spoiler:

Fernando Torres

Class on grass
Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2014
I've only played Mystery Dungeon explorers of Darkness so here's my input. Ehem,

WAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!

I cried my butt of that day. When grovyle steals the time gears, but did that to save the world was the most admirable thing I've seen in a Pokémon game. Grovyle used to be meh... But know he's one of my favorite Pokémon because I could relate to what he was doing. Then the sacrificing, and me (Totodile) leaving (Chikorita) alone really got me.

But I was all happy when I came back.

Best spinoff ever.

Aamelo

Reality Bender.
Years
Have to say that the Mystery Dungeon series was the first game that ever made me get emotional and yes, its probably my favorite Pokémon game of all, enjoyable and emotional. The ending really hit me to the point of having water formed in my eyes almost falling down, it was not a straight cry that day, but still hit me very emotional.

I have recently re-watched the ending on youtube with my girlfriend, got to admit, in that one I cried, probably because I had more feelings mixed in the process.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 17, 2017
Well, considering the PMD series is my favorite thing I got to say that even though I had to watch the ending on youtube because my game broke or something the most emotional is "PMD EoS" it has great storyline and sad ending in my opinion it will ALWAYS be the best , plus just go on youtube and watch videos of "PMD"(especially explorers of) in wich they put loads of fan art of every part of the game with Japanese music that is emotional....I even cry watching those in the end scene....

Ari Niko

Sincerity
Years
The storylines in the MD games are amazing
52b0f867.gif

The final special episode in Sky was just perfect and really struck me emotionally
52b0f867.gif

Sérene1

(Now Hibicakes)
Years
  • Seen Oct 1, 2013
When I saw this topic, I mentally screamed yes! D':

I honestly can't remember my detailed reactions from Blue to Sky, but I do remember that each storyline never failed to make me tear. Grovyle was my favorite Pokémon design throughout those times and seeing him in the later games as a main character excited me so much, but then he had the sad story with so much bravery. I cried for his sacrifice, but also realized how much of a great heart-tugging story it was.

And I cried for much too long at the ending of Gates to Infinity. I'm afraid of spoiling things, so just... that ending! And the ending after the ending! I was shattered seeing the partner crumble with what happened, but relieved at the very end. Likewise with many opinions, the stories have always been amazing.

Lazer

Geek in the Pink
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 24, 2014
Yes, I was so sad especially at the end of the main story line in Sky.
Blue Rescue still gives me tingles when I play it. The games are so much deeper than the main series.

xseed

Reality? Or a dream?
Years
oh yes yes. especitally at the end of pokemon mystery dungeon explorers of darkness. I cried so bad that.....that I had to not watch the ending lol. ......thiniking of it is making me feel like crying as we speak...

DynalMaestro

Eater Of Worlds
Years
pokemon mystery dungeon explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky was one of the first games to make me cry and i am not joking,grovyle's sacrifice coupled with one of the saddest tracks on any pokemon game made tears come out of my eyes

SoulRoach

Hoenn Fanboy
Years
I shed man tears, as the events really where a hit in the feels.I have to say that the stories to the spin off games, are actually better than the story in the main games.

Ari Niko

Sincerity
Years
I shed man tears, as the events really where a hit in the feels.I have to say that the stories to the spin off games, are actually better than the story in the main games.

The main games don't even really have a story Dx

Years
Every single time I play... Especially in the Explorers trilogy. Learning the truth about Grovyle, and then the ending itself always gets me. I've never cried or anything, but I get incredibly attached to those characters. I can't help but get emotional...

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
Years
The first Mystery Dungeon game I played was Explorers of Time, and man, was I hooked! I never wanted to stop playing it. I remember when I finally defeated Dialga (which took 12,789,374 years) and seeing the whole sequence where you disappear. I remember when they talked about your character disappearing, I didn't take it seriously. I thought "When you beat the game, you're probably just going to stop that from happening, right? You won't REALLY disappear... right?" Even though I knew they'd probably bring me back later, that moment was still poignant to me. I'm planning on playing Explorers of Darkness over winter break. I can't wait to experience that all over again.

Last edited:

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
Guilty :3 yes, especially the first PMD games (Red/Blue) and Sky definitely made me cry the first few times whaha, the story is just too touching and sad, I really like the ending music in PMD Red/Blue when you defeated Rayqyaza and destroyed the meteorite, when you dissappear into the light ball in the sky. The first time I ever played this I was like; "Noooo I don't want to leave! I want to return to the Pokemon World, is it over now? :'(", but then the sentence came up with: ...If you really want to return... blabla I was thrilled xD YES! I can return and rest my final days living as a Pokemon :3 ^_^

Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2015
Well, I barley cry fullstop, but I was super close.
Especially at the cutscenes after the credits, poor Spark :~:

this didn't really help

Edward Newgate

Everyone is a child of the sea
Years
Explorers of Sky made me shoot some tears,
especially the part where they
Spoiler:

SPOILER ALERT FOR THOSE WHO DIDNT PLAY IT YET!

But, well, it was a really great story, and I was all sucked into it xD

Back