The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Trading Card Game > TCG Deck Reviewing

Notices

TCG Deck Reviewing List cards of your card decks here to get them rated!

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 9th, 2012, 10:55 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Advertise here
This thread contains obsolete information and was last relevant August 27, 2013. See the 2013-2014 thread for the new lists effective as of August 28th, 2013: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=309435

Time to make a new thread for this, since the new format has been in effect since September 1st.

So here's the 2012-2013 format, as of 06/05/2013:

Black & White
Black & White: Emerging Powers
Black & White: Noble Victories
Black & White: Next Destinies
Black & White: Dark Explorers
Black & White: Dragons Exalted
Black & White: Dragon Vault
Black & White Boundaries Crossed
Black & White: Plasma Storm
Black & White: Plasma Freeze
Black & White Trainer's Kit
Black Star Promos numbered BW001 and higher

Also, anything reprinted in these sets from an older set as legal. That means the following:
For Pokemon, it means it has to be the exact HP, Weakness, Resistance, Retreat Cost, Type, and have the same attacks (the attack text could be altered some by TPCi on a reprint to make it fit better with the way the rules on wordings work in the meta game) as a card in a currently legal set.

For Trainers (now Trainer - Item)/Supporters (now Trainer - Supporter)/Stadiums (now Trainer - Stadium), it has to have the same name and the same effect when played. It doesn't have to be the same Trainer class as it was before, since the way that works is that the older cards are counted as the Trainer class that the reprint is, at least in most cases (for instance, the Trainer from the Base Set, Bill, was reprinted in HeartGold SoulSilver but had its card type changed to Trainer - Supporter, which is what all versions of the card must be treated as; on the flip side, the original Computer Search was banned entirely because of a card type change to Trainer - Ace Spec). Any changes in the card wording always go by the newer version of the card. See this post here (the words to the left are a link) for a partial list of cards that are not allowed to be used despite having a name-sharing reprint. If you know of any other cards, please PM me them and I will credit you with finding this information out for me.

For Energy, it has to be the same name and energy type (Special Energy versus Basic Energy, I mean), though you adopt any of the newer wordings.

There are several reprints that are currently play legal. I may go through and compile a list of which play legal set it was reprinted in, and what other sets it was printed in previously.

Also, any future sets will become legal as they are released, as far as I understand Play!Pokemon's rules for the TCG, which I presume aren't any different from Pokemon Organized Play's rules for the TCG.

And a lengthy, official PDF detailing the rules from Pokemon.com here:

http://assets17.pokemon.com/assets/c...nd_Formats.pdf

Last edited by donavannj; October 3rd, 2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old December 4th, 2012, 11:20 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Updated the list for Black & White: Boundaries Crossed and Black & White: Dragon Vault.
Old January 15th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Lucho K
Powered Charizard

Nature: Gentle
Do you know something about the new rotation?

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android
Old January 16th, 2013, 07:59 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

I know nothing about the new rotation because the earliest TPCi will announce it is the end of April, and it would not take effect until the end of August anyway, after Worlds 2013 happens.
Old February 5th, 2013, 11:58 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Updated the list for Black & White: Plasma Storm.
Old March 13th, 2013, 05:18 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Updated due to realization of an error in explaining the legality of Trainer cards reprinted in currently tournament legal sets. This post here will contain a list of trainer cards reprinted in a current Tournament Legal set for which past versions of the card are not play legal.

Those cards are currently, to the best of my knowledge, as follows:
Great Ball - Only the Emerging Powers and Boundaries Crossed prints are play legal due to a drastic change in the way the card functions compared to previous prints.

Computer Search - Only the Ace Spec print from Boundaries Crossed is play legal.

More will be added as I discover them or they come to my attention.
Old April 4th, 2013, 08:28 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Updated first post with a link to the official rules and formats PDF file on the official Pokemon site.
Old June 5th, 2013, 07:43 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Updated to reflect the release of Plasma Freeze.
Old October 1st, 2013, 03:43 PM
Whitney's Shaymin
Creator Of Pokemon Grace
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Is it true the next rotation is going to be Next Destinys and up?

"The Incredibly Pretty Girl"

Gym Leader Whitney
link | link | link

FC: 4699-7156-4669 IGN: Gavin
Old October 1st, 2013, 07:32 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemoner2500 View Post
Is it true the next rotation is going to be Next Destinys and up?
The current rotation is Next Destinies and newer. I just have been too busy offline to replace this thread with a new version. That will probably be up within a week, though.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 04:59 AM
Whitney's Shaymin
Creator Of Pokemon Grace
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
That's what I heard but was just confirming. Thanks.

"The Incredibly Pretty Girl"

Gym Leader Whitney
link | link | link

FC: 4699-7156-4669 IGN: Gavin
Old October 3rd, 2013, 05:47 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Since this is no longer the current format, time to close and unstick this thread!

New format effective beginning August 28th, 2013, is here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=309435

Last edited by donavannj; October 3rd, 2013 at 06:18 PM.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here