Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media
Reload this Page Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Old September 25th, 2013 (08:02 AM). Edited September 25th, 2013 by T!M.
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Silver Tier

Nature: Serious

"Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., or simply Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., is an American television series created for ABC by Joss Whedon, Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen, based on the Marvel Comics organization S.H.I.E.L.D. (Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division). The series is produced by ABC Studios, Marvel Television, and Mutant Enemyand is set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, sharing continuity with the films in that franchise. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. revolves around the character of Phil Coulson, with Clark Gregg reprising the role."

| Premise |
"Agent Phil Coulson puts together a small team of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents to handle strange new cases. Each case will test the team in cooperation and ingenuity as they try to work together figuring out newly emerging superhuman individuals in the world."
~Wikipedia.org

So lemme ask you?

Have you seen it? If so did you like it? What didn't you like about it and what would you change?
Old September 25th, 2013 (09:47 AM).
Platinum Tier

Nature: Brave
I don't really know what to say. I loved the show, but not in the way I usually love shows. I mean, it's a super hero show, by Marvel, so it couldn't possibly get any cheesier. But it was the best kind of cheesy, haha.

I loved the character, loved the episodes, and overall am very looking forward to next week!

Old September 25th, 2013 (10:16 AM).
CS

I'm happy to see more Coulson, certainly, and the other characters seem to have potential.

The pilot as a whole... I dunno. It's very Joss Whedon. I have a love-hate relationship with the stuff he does and this show, which is saturated with Whedon humor, seems to be more of a Buffy kind of show than, say, Firefly. At least in tone. It seems to have a really big budget and the freedom to do a lot with the Marvel universe, and I like that, but I don't know if I'll be able to enjoy it as much as I was hoping I would.

deviantart blog pair
Old September 25th, 2013 (10:24 AM).
Silver Tier

How close do you think the show will stick to the current Marvel Movie continuity and do you think the events in the show will be used in future movies in current timeline of the movies.

(Captain America, Thor and Iron Man is the current cross-over continuity. Raimi's Spider-Man and movies pre Iron Man movies are not included in this timeline.)
Old September 25th, 2013 (11:16 AM).
CS

Since Whedon did Avergers and is going to do the sequel it would only make sense for him not only to keep continuity, but to do a little background and setup for the second movie with this show.

I imagine it's going to be continuous with only the Avergers movies though, otherwise things could get really out of hand.

deviantart blog pair
Old September 25th, 2013 (11:35 AM).
Platinum Tier

Quote originally posted by Trainer Timothy:
How close do you think the show will stick to the current Marvel Movie continuity and do you think the events in the show will be used in future movies in current timeline of the movies.

(Captain America, Thor and Iron Man is the current cross-over continuity. Raimi's Spider-Man and movies pre Iron Man movies are not included in this timeline.)
According to recent interviews, yes it will preserve continuity within the MCU. Samuel Jackson said that he'd be dropping by to appear on the show at some point, and Whedon confirmed that he has ideas on bringing in some of the Avengers in limited quantities throughout the show, as to not overdo it. A few of them have even expressed interest in showing up.

Old September 25th, 2013 (11:38 AM).
Silver Tier

Lol. Ha. For some reason I thought this was a low budget show, you know? But if the director (or whatever) of Marvel's The Avenger is running it. Then it can't be too terrible.
Old September 25th, 2013 (03:27 PM). Edited September 25th, 2013 by Guy.
just a guy
CS

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. had Joss Whedon's fingerprint all over the pilot episode. The witty dialogue, the "Scooby gang" factor, and even some cheese, albeit good cheese. Needless to say, I loved every bit of it. What I love about Joss Whedon and his work is that no matter the setting and no matter the story, it all comes down to the characters. Which he so clearly pointed out when Coulson said, "Nobody's nobody." Already, I want to spend more time getting to know these characters, learning their backgrounds, and seeing them get fleshed out some more. Coulson, Skye, Fitz, Simmons, and Agent May are so far my favorites. So basically everyone except Agent Ward, who will need to grow on me some more. Especially Fitz and Simmons though; these two are like the Xander and Willow of Buffy, they bounce right off one another so well.

This was probably the most hyped up show of the summer, and for me, it lived up to it. It did everything a pilot needed to do and then some. I also appreciate the fact that they didn't blatantly explain how Coulson lived after his death in The Avengers. It would have felt too cheap if it had been so easily explained, and Joss Whedon is anything but. It does seem there's a bit of mystery behind his resurrection though that not even Coulson is aware of, and that's something I'm interested in finding out.

I do wonder if Emily VanCamp (currently the lead of ABC's Revenge) will make a guest appearance on the show some time. Since she'll be playing the role of Sharon Carter, an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the upcoming Captain America: The Winter Soldier, it would be pretty cool if she made an appearance in a future episode . That's if she can find the time in between filming Revenge of course.

Also, I'd just like to point out, Chloe Bennet has beautiful hair and if I were a girl I'd be totally jealous. Can't wait to see the rest of this show. I can easily see it climbing its way up to becoming one of my favorites this season.

Quote originally posted by Trainer Timothy:
Lol. Ha. For some reason I thought this was a low budget show, you know? But if the director (or whatever) of Marvel's The Avenger is running it. Then it can't be too terrible.
Have you even seen the episode yet? The effects were pretty stellar. Not to mention, this is probably the most expensive show currently in production of any broadcast network show, plus the amount of money ABC is spending just promoting it.
Old September 25th, 2013 (07:17 PM).
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by PEDRO12:
I don't really know what to say. I loved the show, but not in the way I usually love shows. I mean, it's a super hero show, by Marvel, so it couldn't possibly get any cheesier. But it was the best kind of cheesy, haha.
It seems more science fiction-secret agent than anything superhero related. I think that's the only way you can make a show revolving around the Marvel universe and have it be cost effective. Though if the ratings keep up, I would imagine some budget busting episodes once in a while.
Old September 25th, 2013 (07:32 PM).
Also known as Sandwich

Nature: Careful
I saw the first episode, and I really liked it.
Also, Leo Fitz=awesome. If you don't like him, I will eat you.
Old September 27th, 2013 (08:07 AM).

Nature: Adamant
COULSON LIVES!!

Yeah, I watched it. It was fantastic! It's good to see a decent live action show in a super hero universe. Also, so glad Cobie Smulders made an appearance in the pilot as well. There's was some Joss Whedon signature in it for sure, but the tone seems different than anything else he's ever done. It's not too Buffy, not too Angel, hell, not even too Firefly like. Besides, there's only so much Joss Whedon you can put in an already clearly defined universe.
Old October 1st, 2013 (08:46 PM).
Platinum Tier

Hey, who saw tonight's episode? Amazing, really.
Spoiler:
I felt that Ward's interaction with the rest of the team, on different occasions, kinda gave him a new dimension. He was pretty a shallow and weak character at first, but this episode gave him that extra layer he deserves. <3
ALSO SAMUEL L JACKSON WOOHOO

Old October 2nd, 2013 (08:32 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
I've only seen the first episode (airs Fridays in UK and I can't be bothered watching it illegally just for the sake of a couple of days) and it was okay. I don't think a pilot has ever been good to me really so the show still has a lot of potential, but I'm not going to hail it immediately off of that episode.

What do we think about Coulson being alive by the way? There has to be some huge plot around the reason for it nearing the end of the season I imagine.
Old October 2nd, 2013 (01:15 PM).
just a guy
CS

I enjoyed the second episode even more than the Pilot, and I liked the pilot episode a lot. I hope the show can keep up this kind of momentum as the season goes by. What really stood out to me though was the development between the team, and I feel like we haven't even begun to scratch the surface of just how much depth and story can be put into these characters yet. Which again, is the beautiful thing about Joss Whedon, he centers in on his characters, will make you expect one thing, spin it around, and take it to a whole other level. I'm slowly warming up to Ward, but the eventual romance between him and Skye that they're building up to will definitely have to sell it as the show goes on, which I'm not too worried about.

Side note: May, Fitz, and Simmons are like the BEST. Seriously, you can't say otherwise. Also, more nods to the Avengers movie. I love it!

Spoiler:
Samuel L Jackson cameo!!!
Old October 2nd, 2013 (01:50 PM).
CS

I agree that the second episode was a lot better than the pilot. (And, incidentally, I read that the pilot had a $14 million budget!) There's a lot better interaction among the characters and I'm looking forward to new episodes a lot more now.

Spoiler:
Samuel L. Jackson! :o I'd heard he was going to show up at some point but, dang, I thought it was going to be somewhere in the middle or the end.

And about Coulson being alive again. There's this phrase: "It's a magical place." More than once he's said it when Tahiti gets brought it. I don't think we're talking about the real Tahiti here. It's like a programmed response to keep him from thinking about what actually happened to him. There's not really enough to go on so all we can do is guess wildly. Is Coulson a clone? A robot? From an alternate dimension? An alien in disguise? Will is be connected to the next Avengers movie, like with the Scarlet Witch and her weird reality-warping powers? Or is it something a little more "mundane" like they're using some kind of artificial heart a la Iron Man to keep him going.

deviantart blog pair
Old October 9th, 2013 (06:45 AM).

I've just got round to watching the second episode and it was pretty good, all the characters seem good except the typical tough guy one (can't even remember his name, took a bullet in the episode). Fitz & Simmons in particular are pretty cool.

Loved the Nick Fury cameo.

Spoiler:
My dad picked up on the 'magical place' line and his theory is that he could've been sent to Asgard rather than Tahiti. Obviously there's considerable magic in Asgard so he could have been saved via magic.
Old October 9th, 2013 (11:11 AM).
CS

Something in the third episode makes me wonder.

Spoiler:
If Coulson was healed in Asgard - which is actually a rather obvious explanation and I don't know why that never occurred to me - it doesn't explain the muscle memory problem he seems to have. He can't handle a gun like he used to, almost as if he doesn't have the muscle memory at all.

May's reluctance to go into the field, I suspect, is somehow related to what happened to Coulson. Like, she knows that if something were to happen to her that SHIELD might do some kind of weird magic/technological voodoo on her to get her back like (I suspect) they did with Coulson.

I'm liking all the characters a little more now. The nerdy duo of course need more development, but I expect that'll come eventually. Really impressed with all that they've done with their budget again. This is the kind of thing I like to see in television. The attention to detail this show has is great.

deviantart blog pair
Old October 9th, 2013 (03:26 PM).
just a guy
CS

It's very telling when each episode seems to improve upon the one before it. The visuals were especially great this episode. I also agree Fitz-Simmons needs some character development, and I'm sure it'll come soon enough, but I can't help but love them. I could listen to them talk back and forth about science all day.

Spoiler:
Re: Coulson

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noted Coulson's lack of muscle memory when it came to handling his gun. It seems that was this episodes nod to something being off about Coulson since his revival after him calling Tahiti a "Magical Place" numerous times in the Pilot and Episode Two. If I were to go off Joss' past work, I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of him being an animated android/bot of Coulson and it could explain the lack of muscle memory, but I think that's another obvious route to go that I think may be avoided.
Old October 11th, 2013 (09:59 AM).

Spoiler:
The muscle memory does seem to suggest more of the original robot theories, but I guess we'll probably change our theories as more hints are dropped throughout the series.

The third episode continues the trend of improvement, I think as we get to the latter stages of this season we'll be watching a really great show.
Old October 11th, 2013 (10:15 AM).
CS

Is it too early to start speculating who's going to get killed off? It is a Whedon show after all.

My money is on Skye since she is the only non-S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and if she dies the team can keep going without her. Or if they don't want to get rid of her, if she's killed then we can learn what happened to Coulson when he was brought back because they can do the same thing with Skye and we'll see it firsthand.

deviantart blog pair
Old October 12th, 2013 (06:01 AM).

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Coulson himself, it feels like he is in the show to attract people who watched Avengers and so at some point I could see him written out and May or Ward become the 'team leader'.
Old October 14th, 2013 (01:30 AM).

So far I've only seen the first episode, tv here isn't even airing it so I still have to catch up with the internet. (Only stupid grandma series are aired here)

But so far I've loved it Totally amazing
Finally something to watch for a bit more mature people loving superheroes from marvel.
Something else then watching child cartoons on Disney or Fox channels. Well I must say I also love the new 'Avengers Assemble' animated series :D

But I'm glad Marvel is finally putting more to the story than just Avengers, I got so many questions from people after they watched the movie, finally they can figure somethings out their selfs if only they would watch this xP
Old November 6th, 2013 (04:11 AM).
just a guy
CS

So we finally got a Fitz-Simmons central episode last night, and it was better than I could have hoped for. I enjoyed how the first half of the episode built up to the second half and made the problem bigger and more emotionally gripping that it started out involving Simmons. I love this dynamic duo of babbling scientists and the last scene between Simmons and Fitz, that moment of silence when it was just Fitz sitting alone spoke volumes.

Spoiler:
When Simmons jumped off the plane, I was frantic. I didn't know how to console myself in such a moment.

More subtle nods to something being wrong with Coulson that led to some really good development in the end. I'm growing impatient though, I want to know what S.H.I.E.L.D. did to him during the time he was dead.

Next week, it looks like a Fitz episode. YAY!
Old November 6th, 2013 (01:40 PM).
CS

I rather liked this latest episode because we got to see more development of Simmons, Fitz, May (well, not that much), and of course Coulson. I really like how Coulson works for a secretive global organization, but still approaches everyone as a person and believes in doing whatever he can to save everyone.

I wonder if he's going to show up at all in the new Thor movie. The sneak peak they showed might just be because they're related Marvel media, but it would be a lot of fun if S.H.I.E.L.D. has some more plot-related tie-in.

deviantart blog pair
Old November 7th, 2013 (01:46 PM).
just a guy
CS

Quote originally posted by Scarf:
I wonder if he's going to show up at all in the new Thor movie. The sneak peak they showed might just be because they're related Marvel media, but it would be a lot of fun if S.H.I.E.L.D. has some more plot-related tie-in.
There's a crossover episode coming up that deals with the aftermath of the new Thor movie!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links