Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Fan Clubs & Groups
Notices

Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old August 21st, 2013, 11:42 AM
Catalyst.
Nothing of significance

A language club? So joining! :D

What languages do you speak, and how well do you speak them?
I'm fluent in English and Quebecois French, with French as my first language. Can read, write, and speak both fluently, living pretty much right on the Ontario-Quebec border in Canada. I'm currently learning Spanish, for work and Russian, as I have somewhat of an obsession with Russian/Soviet history. Spanish is coming along quite nicely, though I,m nowhere near conversational. Russian is harder but fun to learn. I'd also like to learn Mandarin someday, but that's kind of wishful thinking.

Also, what are some online tools that you use to help learn?
For Spanish (and presumably the other languages they offer) I love Duolingo. For Russian, I've been reading Russian newspapers and websites. Rosetta Stone when I have time. For Mac users, I've also found it quite useful for any language to set OS X (Can be done on Windows too if you have Ultimate version) to whatever you happen to be learning - I use my computer enough that I know where all the menus are by heart, so I can do the translations seeing them in target language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirno
About time I join this wonderful club!

I am fluent in English and Russian (having been born in Russia and lived there up until I was 7). Can read, write, and speak English fluently. I speak Russian fluently as well but my writing level is very poor and I'm pretty slow with reading it. I'd like to learn German and Japanese in the future, if possible, though those are more or less wishful thinking goals. Not sure how much inspiration I have to keep up with studies long-term.. especially since immersion isn't an option. I don't do well with learning through reading.
I didn't know you spoke Russian! We should practice together sometime
Old August 21st, 2013, 04:01 PM
SinfulGuroRose
Ignore me, I'm socially inept.

Nature: Bashful
Omg, Russian is such an amazing language, from a listener's pov. ; v; I want to learn it really bad, but I still need to learn more about the languages currently on my plate, so to speak.
I'm curious, what influences you guys' choices on learning the languages you know? I know a lot of the influence on my end is just because I love the sound of them.
-shape.memory.music-

Old August 22nd, 2013, 03:57 PM
이큐리
#nofilter
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulGuroRose View Post
Omg, Russian is such an amazing language, from a listener's pov. ; v; I want to learn it really bad, but I still need to learn more about the languages currently on my plate, so to speak.
I'm curious, what influences you guys' choices on learning the languages you know? I know a lot of the influence on my end is just because I love the sound of them.
There were a lot of things that got me into learning the languages that I'm currently studying. Anime is an easy example for Japanese. xD But I mean other than that I love the culture for all the languages I'm learning and I also love they way look when written.

Off Topic:
I started using wanikani and omg....I love it!!! Really helping me. I had a lot of trouble memorizing Kanji on my own.
Old August 25th, 2013, 01:39 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulGuroRose View Post
For me, that's Scots/Scottish English :p it makes me feel comfortable when I listen to it.
did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
o i forgot 5
uraqt

Old August 25th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Vin_Prismriver
Hoping to be noticed by Senpai

Hi, new member here **

Italian is my first language, and I speak it almost flawlessly. I think I'm pretty good with English, but I constantly try to improve my grammar and pronunciation.
I'm currently try to learn some basic Japanese by myself. It is simply awesome, I love kanji and the way it sounds~

I also used to study German at school but now that I'm in High School, I'm studying Latin and Ancient Greek. (Since almost the entire Italian vocabulary comes from these languages, in Italy it's pretty common to study them)

I don't really know, I usually rely on books and dictionaries rather than web supports.

Hope everything's ok
. . .

The advent of a sacred emissary brings an unexpected twist in the Sehot Region... Pokemon Divine Bond

. . .
Old September 1st, 2013, 03:58 PM
이큐리
#nofilter
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin_Prismriver View Post
Hi, new member here **

Italian is my first language, and I speak it almost flawlessly. I think I'm pretty good with English, but I constantly try to improve my grammar and pronunciation.
I'm currently try to learn some basic Japanese by myself. It is simply awesome, I love kanji and the way it sounds~

I also used to study German at school but now that I'm in High School, I'm studying Latin and Ancient Greek. (Since almost the entire Italian vocabulary comes from these languages, in Italy it's pretty common to study them)

I don't really know, I usually rely on books and dictionaries rather than web supports.

Hope everything's ok
Welcome to the club! :D I really like listening to people speak Italian. How difficult is it in terms of learning the language?
Old September 1st, 2013, 05:06 PM
Somniac
Probably sleeping.
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Shwmae. [Hello]

I thought i'd post regarding my native language.

I have a sneaky feeling I'm one of a select few, if not the only person on this website who speaks Welsh.

It's a beautiful language, if you don't suffocate trying to pronounce certain sounds.

Unfortunately it's going to die out, currently under 25% of the country actually speak it.

Wyt ti'n siarad Cymraeg?
Old September 1st, 2013, 06:21 PM
SinfulGuroRose
Ignore me, I'm socially inept.

Nature: Bashful
Unfortunately, I don't speak Welsh, but goodness, it is a lovely language. <3 It reminds me a lot of Old English, in the way it sounds. Do those two have any connection? I haven't had the time to research the progression of the English language into different branches.
-shape.memory.music-

Old September 1st, 2013, 06:58 PM
Omicron
Prince of Heart

Nature: Modest
Hello everybody! I'd like to join this awesome club.

Spanish is my first language and I speak it flawlessly. I also speak English, obviously . I'm currently at Cambridge level C2 and consider myself fully bilingual.

I'm learning Portuguese right now, I can speak, read and write but I still need to learn a lot.

I use busuu.com. I recommend it greatly.

HOMESTUCK

Alpha Kids Collab: Dirk

mod of Trade Corner

mod of the Battle Server

Homestuck Fanclub

Old September 7th, 2013, 04:08 AM
Vin_Prismriver
Hoping to be noticed by Senpai

Quote:
Originally Posted by miakalina View Post
Welcome to the club! :D I really like listening to people speak Italian. How difficult is it in terms of learning the language?
Well, it's not THAT difficult, there isn't much irregular stuff. Singulars and Plurals are always the same, for example (but they're based on the gender name they accompany).

However, in english, for example, the verb "love" can be used for all the subjects (except that you have to add an s to the third person), while in italian there is a specific desinence for every person:

Spoiler:
English:

I love
You love
He/She/It loves
We love
You love
They love

Italian:

Io amo
Tu ami
Egli/Ella/Esso ama
Noi amiamo
Voi amate
Essi amano

And there are so many verbal tenses:

Spoiler:

Name (Ensligh counterpart) - Active Form / Passive Form

Indicativo Presente (Simple Present) - Io amo / Io sono amato
Indicativo Imperfetto - Io amavo / Io ero amato
Indicativo Passato Remoto (Simple Past) - Io amai / Io fui amato
Indicativo Futuro Semplice (Simple Future) - Io amerò / Io sarò amato
Indicativo Passato Remoto (Present Perfect) - Io ho amato / Io sono stato amato
Indicativo Trapassato Prossimo - Io avevo amato / Io ero stato amato
Indicativo Trapassato Remoto (Past Perfect) - Io ebbi amato / Io fui stato amato
Indicativo Futuro Anteriore - Io avrò amato / Io sarò stato amato

Congiuntivo Presente (Simple Present) - Io ami / Io sia amato
Congiuntivo Imperfetto (Simple Past) - Io amassi / Io fossi amato
Congiuntivo Passato (Present Perfect) - Io abbia amato / Io sia stato amato
Congiuntivo Trapassato (Past Perfect) - Io avessi amato / Io fossi stato amato

Condizionale Presente (would+infinite) - Io amerei / Io sarei amato
Condizionale Passato (would+ past participle) - Io avrei amato / Io sarei stato amato

Infinito Presente (Infinite) - Amare / Essere amato
Infinito Passo (be+past participle) - Avere Amato / Essere stato amato

Participio Presente (-er form i suppose, like lover) - Amante
Participio Passato (Past Participle) - Amato

Gerundio Presente (Present Continous) - Amando / Essendo amato
Gerundio Passato (having+Past participle I think) - Avendo amato / Essendo stato amato

Imperativo Presente - (infinite without to) - Ama! / Sii amato!

Yeah, 12 forms for each tense (except for Infinito, Participio and Gerundio)

Like I said, apart from that, it's not really difficult, and it sounds pleasant in my opinion. Hope I explained (I won't deny I wasn't trying to impress you, I'm proud of my language)
Little translation:

Spoiler:
English:
Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries, but also the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged. It was popularised in the 1960s with the release of Letraset sheets containing Lorem Ipsum passages, and more recently with desktop publishing software like Aldus PageMaker including versions of Lorem Ipsum.

Italian:
Lorem Ipsum è un testo segnaposto utilizzato nel settore della tipografia e della stampa. Lorem Ipsum è considerato il testo segnaposto standard sin dal sedicesimo secolo, quando un anonimo tipografo prese una cassetta di caratteri e li assemblò per preparare un testo campione. È sopravvissuto non solo a più di cinque secoli, ma anche al passaggio alla videoimpaginazione, pervenendoci sostanzialmente inalterato. Fu reso popolare, negli anni ’60, con la diffusione dei fogli di caratteri trasferibili “Letraset”, che contenevano passaggi del Lorem Ipsum, e più recentemente da software di impaginazione come Aldus PageMaker, che includeva versioni del Lorem Ipsum.
Old September 8th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Catalyst.
Nothing of significance

Hmm, maybe this club needs an IRC. Like Trade Corner has and Pokemon Clubs had has. So we can practice conversation in real time, but with writing instead of Skype. Thoughts?

I may have a small obsession with IRC
Old September 11th, 2013, 07:44 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst. View Post
Hmm, maybe this club needs an IRC. Like Trade Corner has and Pokemon Clubs had has. So we can practice conversation in real time, but with writing instead of Skype. Thoughts?

I may have a small obsession with IRC
I'll look into it.

But I personally think Skype is better because you can speak and speaking is about 50% of all language :p
o i forgot 5
uraqt

Old September 12th, 2013, 04:27 AM
Catalyst.
Nothing of significance

Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
I'll look into it.

But I personally think Skype is better because you can speak and speaking is about 50% of all language :p
Some people won't have microphones.

I can set an IRC room up myself if you want. I've managed a few before.
Old September 14th, 2013, 11:18 PM
이큐리
#nofilter
Community Supporter

I'm up for both Skype and IRC.
Some people might be too shy to speak over Skype. x] (sounds like me)
But either works for me.
Old September 29th, 2013, 02:43 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

so anyone up to any of this?
o i forgot 5
uraqt

Old October 4th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Catalyst.
Nothing of significance

I can register a channel if you like, not sure the club is really active enough though ):
Old October 4th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Andrew
멘붕

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
I can register a channel if you like, not sure the club is really active enough though ):
Which is a shame because this is one of the best clubs on PC ;P

Does anyone have any tips for learning vocabulary? I'm having trouble remembering words by just going over a list of them and their meanings. Any help would be awesome :D

Pokémon Y:
FC: 2165-6285-6760
Name: Sapphire
Safari: Dark (Pawniard, Cacturne, Sableye)
Old October 4th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Try going over them in real life. So whenever you encounter a certain word, just say it and think about it and try to say that thought in the language you're learning, so you'll learn how to put it in context better.
Denny Hamlin. ugh so late
Old October 6th, 2013, 04:02 PM
이큐리
#nofilter
Community Supporter

So what happened with the IRC channel/Skype group?
It's been a while since I posted here. xD

Anyone else on wanikani?
Old October 6th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Andrew
멘붕

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
Try going over them in real life. So whenever you encounter a certain word, just say it and think about it and try to say that thought in the language you're learning, so you'll learn how to put it in context better.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

Pokémon Y:
FC: 2165-6285-6760
Name: Sapphire
Safari: Dark (Pawniard, Cacturne, Sableye)
Old October 7th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Seawheels

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Seawheels

As far as fluency is concerned, the only language I speak is English. However, I have been studying Mandarin Chinese for the past few years and know it decently enough to muster up conversations. Aside from that, I know bits and pieces of Cantonese and a decent bit of Spanish as well.

Hmm...I haven't really found any yet. Most of my learning has been either in the classroom or overseas. I'm struggling with finding online materials that work for my level but if you know of any good Mandarin Chinese learning sites feel free to send them my way.
Old October 7th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Catalyst.
Nothing of significance

Quote:
So what happened with the IRC channel/Skype group?
It's been a while since I posted here. xD

Anyone else on wanikani?
I did it:

irc.systemnet.info #languageclub

Feel free to come and practice or just chat. As for a Skype group, I'm all for it, but I'll have to figure out how to set it up. I'd be great for me, actually, since Ottawa is sadly pretty homogenous, so I have nobody irl to practice with

I've set myself a limit of two languages at a time currently (it seems to work pretty well) so I can't take up anything new atm, but after Spanish is done (Russian is looking to take a lot longer) I'm looking at either Japanese or Dutch - in the event that I choose Japanese, would you recommend WaniKani?
Old October 7th, 2013, 02:17 PM
MKGirlism
3DS and Wii U Game Developer

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to MKGirlism
My native languages are Dutch and Polish, and I speak UK/AU English fluently.
I can understand German a bit, and I can surprisingly understand a lot of Afrikaans and Czech, without learning them at all.
I'm also into knowing Japanese, although Kanji is my only issue with that language.
If the Japanese only didn't use the Kanji script, it'd be the easiest language to learn, ever made.

I'm also fluent with PHP and C++, and I know some C# Scripting in Unity3D.

For human languages, I use LiveMocha, which provides free, community-based courses, and it's quite good.
And if you want to be taught by professionals, you can pay a fee.
For Programming languages, I use official Online resources, though I keep avoiding the C# Documentations by Microsoft, as they're terrible to follow.

Simple phrases in my native languages.
Ik ben Yami, een 21 jarige meid, die 3DS en Wii U games programmeert.
Ja jestem Yami, mam 21 lat i jestem kobietą. Ja programuję gierki dla 3DS i Wii U.
~Yami
Old October 9th, 2013, 12:22 PM
이큐리
#nofilter
Community Supporter

Quote:
I did it:

irc.systemnet.info #languageclub

Feel free to come and practice or just chat. As for a Skype group, I'm all for it, but I'll have to figure out how to set it up. I'd be great for me, actually, since Ottawa is sadly pretty homogenous, so I have nobody irl to practice with :(

I've set myself a limit of two languages at a time currently (it seems to work pretty well) so I can't take up anything new atm, but after Spanish is done (Russian is looking to take a lot longer) I'm looking at either Japanese or Dutch - in the event that I choose Japanese, would you recommend WaniKani?
No one is in there. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawheels View Post

As far as fluency is concerned, the only language I speak is English. However, I have been studying Mandarin Chinese for the past few years and know it decently enough to muster up conversations. Aside from that, I know bits and pieces of Cantonese and a decent bit of Spanish as well.

Hmm...I haven't really found any yet. Most of my learning has been either in the classroom or overseas. I'm struggling with finding online materials that work for my level but if you know of any good Mandarin Chinese learning sites feel free to send them my way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKGirlism View Post
My native languages are Dutch and Polish, and I speak UK/AU English fluently.
I can understand German a bit, and I can surprisingly understand a lot of Afrikaans and Czech, without learning them at all.
I'm also into knowing Japanese, although Kanji is my only issue with that language.
If the Japanese only didn't use the Kanji script, it'd be the easiest language to learn, ever made.

I'm also fluent with PHP and C++, and I know some C# Scripting in Unity3D.

For human languages, I use LiveMocha, which provides free, community-based courses, and it's quite good.
And if you want to be taught by professionals, you can pay a fee.
For Programming languages, I use official Online resources, though I keep avoiding the C# Documentations by Microsoft, as they're terrible to follow.

Simple phrases in my native languages.
Ik ben Yami, een 21 jarige meid, die 3DS en Wii U games programmeert.
Ja jestem Yami, mam 21 lat i jestem kobietą. Ja programuję gierki dla 3DS i Wii U.
Welcome to the club guys! :D
Old October 9th, 2013, 07:32 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Quote:
No one is in there. :(
Lol I'll try to get in there when I get my **** together :p I do look forward to that fateful day though.

Also, as for something to discuss, how do you use SAT words (meaning "smart-sounding") in everyday speech, writing, etc., or do you just reserve them for formal occasions?
o i forgot 5
uraqt

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links