Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games
Reload this Page Which 3ds is best for me?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Video Games For all of your gaming needs! From console gaming to Let's Plays, this area encompasses all things relevant to gaming and gamers.

Old October 10th, 2013 (01:22 AM).

Hey guys, with only 2 days left, I really need to make a decision on which console to get, all I really want it for is X & Y, although, im not willing to spend $250 (Australian) on a console, the 2ds is a good alternative, how has the response been? is it an effective machine? I know the resolution on all the 3ds family is the same, so is a large screen really worth it. Also I can get a classic 3ds for the same price as the 2ds, what do you guys think?
Old October 10th, 2013 (03:36 AM).
Author

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakotah
Quote originally posted by Megatallica:
Hey guys, with only 2 days left, I really need to make a decision on which console to get, all I really want it for is X & Y, although, im not willing to spend $250 (Australian) on a console, the 2ds is a good alternative, how has the response been? is it an effective machine? I know the resolution on all the 3ds family is the same, so is a large screen really worth it. Also I can get a classic 3ds for the same price as the 2ds, what do you guys think?
If it were me, I would go with the original 3DS instead of the 2DS. But only because of the ability of the 3DS to fold down. This does two things, makes carrying the system around much easier and also protects the screen better. Yes, the larger sized screen is a plus, but if you've been used to playing on a smaller screen, going with the 3DS won't make a difference.

Personally, I picked up the 3DS XL Pokemon X and Y special edition. Well worth the money, in my opinion. The huge screen really does make a difference when playing the games. Since playing on the 3DS XL, I would never go back to a smaller screen. Now if they could only come up with a connection device to allow me to play my games on my 42" TV....

Dark-Type Safari

Personal Website
Canadaquaria Forum nScale.net
"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
Old October 10th, 2013 (04:06 AM).
I Am No One Else

Nature: Calm
Ask a million people this question ... and you will get a million opinions, also a few smart people telling you this one simple truth:

You really have to try them before you can decide which is "best" for you.

Want a bigger screen? Pick the 2DS or the 3DS XL.
Want clamshell design? Pick the 3DS or 3DS XL.
Don't care about 3D? Pick the 2DS if you are low on money.
Battery life important to you? The 3DS XL is still the longest lasting for most people.
Want durable? The 2DS is the answer for that one.
Have small hands? The 3DS classic is probably the best answer.
Portability? The 3DS Classic is the smallest, the 3DS XL is the second smallest when folded, the 2DS is a bit more bulky.

If you have a chance, try them all in your hand, see how they feel. Pick which one feels most comfortable because after a few hours of gaming, even a little discomfort can start to wear you down.

Join me on IRC, synirc.net #PokemonTactics, for friendly discussions on tactics and strategies.
Old October 10th, 2013 (06:15 AM).
I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.

Nature: Bashful
Quote originally posted by KittenKoder:
Ask a million people this question ... and you will get a million opinions, also a few smart people telling you this one simple truth:

You really have to try them before you can decide which is "best" for you.

Want a bigger screen? Pick the 2DS or the 3DS XL.
Want clamshell design? Pick the 3DS or 3DS XL.
Don't care about 3D? Pick the 2DS if you are low on money.
Battery life important to you? The 3DS XL is still the longest lasting for most people.
Want durable? The 2DS is the answer for that one.
Have small hands? The 3DS classic is probably the best answer.
Portability? The 3DS Classic is the smallest, the 3DS XL is the second smallest when folded, the 2DS is a bit more bulky.

If you have a chance, try them all in your hand, see how they feel. Pick which one feels most comfortable because after a few hours of gaming, even a little discomfort can start to wear you down.
Being Perfectly honest that's the best answer I've ever read; sums everything up perfectly!

I can say though you shouldn't get the console just for XY; It isn't worth it at all then. Try some other games in the catalogue too - Ocarina of Time 3DS is amazing, for example!!

and one more thing to add: My roommate has the XL and he says that the design is awkward, it's just that bit too heavy to play comfortably for long periods of time. He props it up on a pillow because it does wear you down after a while, as KittenKoder said
Old October 10th, 2013 (06:22 AM).
Author

Quote originally posted by CliCliW:
Being Perfectly honest that's the best answer I've ever read; sums everything up perfectly!

I can say though you shouldn't get the console just for XY; It isn't worth it at all then. Try some other games in the catalogue too - Ocarina of Time 3DS is amazing, for example!!

and one more thing to add: My roommate has the XL and he says that the design is awkward, it's just that bit too heavy to play comfortably for long periods of time. He props it up on a pillow because it does wear you down after a while, as KittenKoder said
I never play any console "in the air". I always have it supported on something, be it my lap or on a desk. If you hold a piece of paper up in the air for an extended period of time, even that will tire your wrist or arm out, as you're forcing your joints to resist gravity. It's not the weight of an object that's actually causing the discomfort, it's how you are holding the object. If you hold the system closer to your chest you reduce the center of gravity which actually reduces the strain on your muscles. Holding something further away from you increases the stress put on your muscles.

Dark-Type Safari

Personal Website
"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
Old October 10th, 2013 (12:34 PM).
I Am No One Else

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by Jay_37040:
I never play any console "in the air". I always have it supported on something, be it my lap or on a desk. If you hold a piece of paper up in the air for an extended period of time, even that will tire your wrist or arm out, as you're forcing your joints to resist gravity. It's not the weight of an object that's actually causing the discomfort, it's how you are holding the object. If you hold the system closer to your chest you reduce the center of gravity which actually reduces the strain on your muscles. Holding something further away from you increases the stress put on your muscles.
Well, to access the buttons comfortably you do have to hold it in your hand for most games, though I prop mine up on the desk or lap most often when I do this, if the system was any larger I would be unable to play for more than 30 minutes before discomfort set in, due to the stretching in weird ways to gain access too the buttons. I have an XL, but the regular one felt too cramped for me so I went with the XL. Thus size is the primary concern with how comfortable it is, not just because of the weight, which can impact comfort, but also the reaching for the buttons. The system is, essentially, an elaborated gamepad.

Join me on IRC, synirc.net #PokemonTactics, for friendly discussions on tactics and strategies.
Old October 10th, 2013 (01:22 PM).
Author

Quote originally posted by KittenKoder:
Well, to access the buttons comfortably you do have to hold it in your hand for most games, though I prop mine up on the desk or lap most often when I do this, if the system was any larger I would be unable to play for more than 30 minutes before discomfort set in, due to the stretching in weird ways to gain access too the buttons. I have an XL, but the regular one felt too cramped for me so I went with the XL. Thus size is the primary concern with how comfortable it is, not just because of the weight, which can impact comfort, but also the reaching for the buttons. The system is, essentially, an elaborated gamepad.
Of course, you are holding the system in your hands (though as a professional couch potato oh how I wish for voice command interfaces), but even so, if you hold the system closer to your chest, the strain on your muscles will be greatly reduced, whether the console is propped up on something or not.

Also, I agree with your assessment of the placement of all the buttons on the system. If the buttons are too cramped together, that could also cause further discomfort. The placement of the buttons on the XL are such that whether you have a small hand or a larger hand, you shouldn't have difficulties using them.

The success of their larger portable consoles probably directly influenced their design for the controller of the Wii U (a system which I wasn't too impressed with and didn't get).

Dark-Type Safari

Personal Website
Old October 12th, 2013 (01:56 AM).
I'm on Youtube!

Nature: Jolly
I have a 3DS and so far have been playing all my games in 2D. It hurts my eyes too much. If you don't mind not having the 3D capabilities, I don't think you need to get the 3DS. ALTHOUGH!!! If you are going to get a DS, definitely get the XL. The bigger screen is much more worth it.
Seeing that you are on a budget, you might have to just get the regular screen DS.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links