Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology
Notices

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 11th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
It's time for... talking about storage media in general! Chances are, whatever computer or device you're using right now, there's probably some kind of secondary, more permanent storage, like a hard disk drive (HDD), solid state drive (SSD), NAND flash-based memory (such as those found on phones, tablets, and some Windows 8 and RT PCs, and older netbooks), and hybrid disk drives (SSHDs).

What's inside the devices you have? What do you think of them?

What do you think of the storage device type(s) in general?

---

As you can see from the thread's title, well... I think I have a love of old-school spinning hard disk drives. Yeah, they might be rather slow, especially from a random access standpoint, and I am somewhat irked by the rather slow boot times of my laptop, but... man, 750 GB of perfectly portable, reliable storage is a very nice thing to have.

(You might be shocked to hear this, but modern hard disk drives are actually quite reliable when it comes to being subject to shocks, vibrations, and impacts, especially laptop disk drives, and especially when they come equipped with detection sensors and circuitry.)

I'm thinking of getting a SSHD anyway. Apparently they do work. I'm thinking of upgrading the disk drive anyway since the laptop's 5400 RPM disk drive isn't just a bog-standard 5400 RPM disk drive, it's also one of these slower ones on the market.
Hey, it's Twiggy here. Or Twiggy, if you prefer. I like Servine and Noivern a lot. I'm paired with Kip. I like Katy Perry. I want a Chespin plushie. Also, I'm a total PC geek.
Links
Old October 11th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Tsutarja
Happy Halloween!

Nature: Jolly
In my desktops, there's just HDDs.. I would love to get an SSD for my desktop though to boost OS loading time and to specifically install my programs to it, while I continue to use my HDD for storage of files.

Happy Halloween!
mod pairs family tumblr twitter pc social sites
Old October 11th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Cassino
no

Wait, how is permanent storage secondary? Would 'primary' be referring to volatile storage?

Until SSDs reach reasonable prices for TB sizes I'm stuck with HDDs to which I owe no sentimental loyalty. I've always thought cartridges better than discs, originally upon basis of durability but now for expedience.
DA | YT | In the navy, yes, you can put your mind at ease.
Old October 11th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
I have HDDs in both my notebooks... I do consider SSD drive for OS sometimes but... it seems redundant now for me.
ROM hacking FAQ - Read before asking how to play a hack. | Previous Sign 2 | Previous Sign

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old October 12th, 2013, 01:42 AM
Lilikoi Juice
I'm on Youtube!

SSD's are great but they're so expensive... I love my 3 TB HDD. I have a 500GB SSD but it's not enough. I've already hit my 3 TB limit at least 5 times... I think it's time I get another 3 TB, haha.
A bonafide Pocky lover... Personal favorite so far: Panda Pocky
http://www.youtube.com/TheLilikoiJuice
Old October 27th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Chaos Dragon

I have quite a few drives.

1. 1x120GB Intel 330 SSD
2. 1x3TB Toshiba 7200RPM HDD
3. 1x2TB Seagate Barracuda 5600RPM HDD
4. 1x1TB Samsung F3 7200RPM HDD (have 2, only using 1)

Also a few removable/portable drives too, but not worth counting. I'll be getting a 1TB Solid-State Drive next year, though, and expect to get a few more 3TB hard drives for my next computer project as well.
My 'About Me' Page, on my Wordpress Blog
3DS FC: 4398-9960-0872, Dragon with Gabite & Dragonair; PM if you add me so I can add you back.
PSN: GRX3000
Old November 5th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Starry Windy
I'm bzzy like a Combee.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
I have a 40+80 GB HDD in my old PC, 320 GB on my old laptop and 500 GB on my new laptop. I'm usually using HDD because of the massive capacity, and even though I heard SSD is much faster, I don't mind with HDD's speed that I stick to using it.
Starry Windy
PC Supporter since January 4th, 2014
“And remember I do hope you keep shining bright!” - Hikamaru
Pairs | PC Family | My PC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr
On semi-hiatus due to business, but I'll be fully back soon!
Old November 5th, 2013, 08:47 PM
xseed
Reality? Or a dream?

using a 279GB Hard Drive disk. lol. as for whats inside them? heheee. oh the usual. anime, music,vidieos, some games,ect. as for what I think of my hard drive. keeps running out of space thats what. I only have 85.8 gb free in it currently. that can add up mighty fast lol. also its super slow sometimes......
Looking toward a brighter future
Old November 18th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Alex
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
Yeah, I'm really not a fan of SSD or flash. Always been a fan of HDDs, and probably always will be. Maybe it's because I feel that they hold seniority over all other forms of storage. And frankly I don't care how much faster SSDs are compared to HDDs… plus I'll probably never have the money to waste on SSDs anyway.

Right now I'm stuck with two ancient USB 2.0 flash drives that contain my life and soul ATM. However, in two weeks, mum says she'll be able to get me a 1.5 TB USB 3.0 Western Digital MyBook, which will be the bee's knees. :D
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links