Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime > Episode Discussion

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Episode Discussion Whether you want to speculate about the upcoming episodes or reminisce about the episodes you watched years ago, Episode Discussion is your place for discussing, speculating, and reviewing all the Pokémon anime episodes.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 5th, 2013 (07:17 PM).
Ryanna Jameson
(( and whisper my name as you do it ))
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
BWS2 Da! 017/BW Season 2 055/BW 139

Summary
After a variety of misunderstandings and feeling victimised, Emonga hooks up with the TRio to recreate a good relationship between her and the kids.

Airdate
5 September 2013 [Japan]

Spoiler:
- love how alexa just ditches them
- omfg chaobuu and and miju still vitrioloc best buds
- aaand chaos
- zuruggu bby
- welp
- aww emonga getting the blame ;;
- tsutarga....
- i mean she's usually BSing but rlly
- aw cutie crashing TR party
- sassy lil girl aint she
- desumasu bby
- scheme faces
- scheme voices
- scheme bgm
- SCHEMES
- tsutarja bby
- why does this feel like the climactic point of an episode we're only like 8 minutes in
- aaah misunderstandings
- EXPLOUD
- SCREAM FOR HOENN
- y'all don't wanna be in the middle of these girls
- frick
- FLAMETHOWER FOR HOENN
- satoshi's duck was the cutest thing i've seen aaa
- ...imagine if i typed that wrong lmfao
- kibago's hand over mouth lmao
- IMITATION COMMUNICATION
- YES GOOD
- you know charizard and dragonite could have an interesting relationship
- not like that but whatever if that floats your boat
- has meowth been wearing eyeliner this whole saga or just recently cause is2g i only noticed like three eps ago
- SNORE FOR HOENN
- i'm going to do this every time a hoenn 'mon appears
- magic telepathy????
- ????
- ?????
- THUNDERPUNCH FOR HOENN
- FIGHT FOR HOENN
- BITE FOR HOENN
- i don't even care; i love exploud
- ahahaha exploud <3
- hello again alexa
- i feel like they introduced you too early
- exuse my language fluctuations
- yall know who i mean so idgaf

FUN EPISODE
READ MY COMMENTARY BECAUSE I DONT FEEL LIKE MAKING A BLURB
Pairs +
Family +
Nakama +
Signature +
Old September 6th, 2013 (03:48 PM).
TheFuturePokemon
Natural.....

Soo does Iris have some special powers or something lol? Cause that was a little weird how she put out her hand was able to see what happened at the tree.
Old September 6th, 2013 (05:59 PM).
Ryanna Jameson
Community Supporter

Right? Psychic connection for no reason like wtf. I mean I might have understood if Kibago was desperately trying to tell her that Emonga was not at fault and the emotions came through, but a distinct memory? Nah man.
Pairs +
Family +
Nakama +
Signature +
Old September 6th, 2013 (07:39 PM). Edited September 6th, 2013 by ZeroX5.
ZeroX5

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by EternallyAnna:
Right? Psychic connection for no reason like wtf. I mean I might have understood if Kibago was desperately trying to tell her that Emonga was not at fault and the emotions came through, but a distinct memory? Nah man.
It's suppose to be a reference to her title in the game "The girl who can read the hearts of Dragons" or something. It's like Ash' Aura ability to read the Riolu/Lucario's species thoughts (except with Dragons in her case), and N's ability to read the hearts of...well every Pokemon. She did it in the episode where she caught Dragonite, and how she found out it was innocent.
Old September 6th, 2013 (07:52 PM).
Ryanna Jameson
Community Supporter

I guess, but I still think that should be understanding on a real-time emotional level rather than a memory-reading level. That's what N's deal was. Which is all similar to Aura afaik, though Aura is more distinct in that it can be channelled and preserved in objects (ie Time Flower) and I think the mind reading is limited to extremely strong/projected surface thoughts and emotions? In both of Iris' cases she apparently just picked up memories out of the blue. I feel like that's less "reading the hearts of dragons" and more "weird psychic link". Reading the hearts just really seems like it's more of a deep understanding of Dragon 'mon and their characteristics and behaviours rather than supernatural mindlink.
Pairs +
Family +
Nakama +
Signature +
Old September 6th, 2013 (08:07 PM).
ZeroX5

*shrugs*

I guess they just want to make the dragon heart reading stand out more, since it's pretty vague in the games. All we really know about her in the games, IIRC, is that she was "raised by Dragons", then eventually became Champion in-between games. So I guess the anime wants to make her out to be "special", just like they do with Ash idk.
Old September 6th, 2013 (08:16 PM).
Ryanna Jameson
Community Supporter

They could have, idk, spent more than eight episodes focusing on her abilities and bonding with her Pokémon. SORRY IM JUST IRRITATED because they're choosing now to develop characters?! This and the next ep are major focal episodes for Iris and Cilan... I don't know if they're developing them so people will have an interest for them staying? Or because they know they did a **** job so they want to make amends at the last minute?
Pairs +
Family +
Nakama +
Signature +
Old September 6th, 2013 (08:40 PM). Edited September 6th, 2013 by ZeroX5.
ZeroX5

They could have, idk, spent more than eight episodes focusing on her abilities and bonding with her Pokémon. SORRY IM JUST IRRITATED because they're choosing now to develop characters?! This and the next ep are major focal episodes for Iris and Cilan... I don't know if they're developing them so people will have an interest for them staying? Or because they know they did a **** job so they want to make amends at the last minute?
Well, people have varying opinions on Iris' development, like some people were/are fine with her winning the club battle tournament over Ash in the finals, her getting a Dragonite as her first Dragon capture right before the Junior Cup tournament, and Axew's development. I'll admit, that I was one of the more vocal people with negative opinions on Iris' development.

As for Cilan, I think most people can agree that he didn't really develop at all, and he was there purely for entertainment. At this point I don't think the older male will ever really develop that much. I mean Brock did have a few instances of his Doctor stuff coming into play, but it was never really focused on. So I guess the writers feel that the care-taker of the group, (and sometimes Ash depending on the group setup) will always kinda play the role of the fool, so they don't really have to really put effort into fleshing them out.
Old September 6th, 2013 (08:59 PM).
Ryanna Jameson
Community Supporter

I didn't mind what we got of Iris' development, but there certainly should have been more. If the anime had shown her working towards her goals and expanding upon her relationships and even more of the background noise of training and working hard with her 'mon, I really don't think there would have been so many objections to her win or Dragonite's capture. The anime seems to have gone in for the telling rather than showing- they tell us Iris is a competent trainer by her first partner being evolved and strong. They tell us she is good at what she does by having her win the tournament. They tell us that she has grown- but do we see it? Excadrill just reverted to its past self overnight and their relationship was repaired? Her feisty 'mon just start obeying her one day? They don't show us her progression; it happens off-screen. And so it's very hard to bond with the character when we've seen minimal effort or struggle. This particular episode just barely falls into the "show" category rather than the "tell", because it's Emolga-centric rather than Emolga-and-Iris'-relationship-centric. So much "tell" is involved in the conclusion it's kind of anti-climactic. Suddenly Iris understands and that completely resolves the issue like... no.

Cilan is problematic because he had so much potential. Like, Brock had gotten stale by the time they actually gave him a proper career path that he could focus on. Nobody wanted Brock-focus at that point really. But Cilan was fresh and new with a new weird career and interests in all sorts of things and some major frickin star power and Mamoru Miyano. He could have had it aaaaaall. Somewhere along the line, though, his dramaticism got chopped down and he was reduced to the standard bland cook/guide/exposition-giver with the occasional quirk-as-a-joke. It's heartbreaking.
Pairs +
Family +
Nakama +
Signature +
Old September 6th, 2013 (09:15 PM). Edited September 6th, 2013 by ZeroX5.
ZeroX5

I didn't mind what we got of Iris' development, but there certainly should have been more.
Lol, seeing all what you posted regarding your issue with Iris does bring back memories of my own. Mainly because, in my frequent arguments against people that supported Iris' development you and myself brought/bring up the same points. I got labeled a hater, given my distaste with her development. XDDD

Anyway though, I guess that's what you're kinda going to get with a female-sidekick that doesn't have a trinket collection quest, alot of compensation or short-cuts/cut-corners, at least that's how I see it.

Cilan is problematic because he had so much potential. Like, Brock had gotten stale by the time they actually gave him a proper career path that he could focus on.
Well at this point, I'm not seeing alot of hope for the older male sidekick. I mean, they'll make him semi-competent in battle and knowledgable...but I don't think the writers ever have an interest in developing them. I mean when he wasn't explaining things about battle he's complimenting Ash, saying things like "As usual you show me new taste!", or "This is a new exciting taste from Ash!!" or something to that effect. I guess in the writers logic, they feel that given Cilan followed Ash to learn more "taste" from him and expanding his knowledge through that...just saying passing statements about Ash's off-the-wall nature is good enough to bring across the point that he's learning. :/

All the other times, they're just like **** it, let Miyano have fun!
Old September 6th, 2013 (09:48 PM).
Ryanna Jameson
Community Supporter

The cry of "hater" will never cease to amuse me in a mirthless way, given the fact that those who are most properly critical are those that really like the thing in question and would like to see it grow positively.

You bring up Cilan's pretend development and I remember in the episode where Chili ran away- Cilan said he'd learned so much from travelling with Ash. And I remember thinking, "did he? oh. huh." I wish I could have thought "yeah, he's come a long way." It's awful, but I'm alos pretty sure that Chili got more development in that one episode than Cilan did in the run of BW. We still don't even know why he's afraid of Purrloin!

I feel like BW cut corners in all respects tbh. Even Ash barely trained his Pokémon on-screen. There was so little conflict; next to no creative problem-solving. It makes me very upset. But this all is stuff for another thread probably hahaha.

Back to the episode- do you think they brought Alexa in too early? She seems to be ditching the kids a lot recently; have they not quite figured out what to do with her when she's not actively promo'ing Kalos?
Pairs +
Family +
Nakama +
Signature +
Old September 6th, 2013 (09:58 PM).
ZeroX5

Back to the episode- do you think they brought Alexa in too early? She seems to be ditching the kids a lot recently; have they not quite figured out what to do with her when she's not actively promo'ing Kalos?
I don't know. If they really plan on having her stick around in Kalos...then maybe? Though, if she does end up with him in Kalos, I guess they figured that introducing her character back in that Sumo episode was so they don't have to spend an episode or two doing it in the Kalos region? I mean they're kinda killed two birds with one stone, introducing the idea of Kalos Pokemon, while at the same time a potential future companion of Ash. That way, if Kalos does end up being a 4 person group, that's one less person they have to worry about introducing. So I guess, now that she's served her role until X/Y has started...they don't really need her around.
Old September 6th, 2013 (10:17 PM).
Ryanna Jameson
Community Supporter

That's very true. Especially considering the two other companions are rumored to be Clemont and Bonnie; that's two intros at once right there, probably. Good thinking to stagger them. But this far in advance? They could have concentrated their efforts on the BWtrio's separation an introduced Alexa in the few transition episodes. Or just closer to the mark idk.
Pairs +
Family +
Nakama +
Signature +
Old October 16th, 2013 (07:21 AM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Pansy is ditching the party too often xD
Aaaww... Poor Kibago...
Lol xD Kojiro and Musashi referencing X&Y + Z xD (Hey... seriously... they have plan X and Y not to mention Z?)
And now they change it to jariGAARU?! Use the ONE word, plz =D
Yeah... use flying type against electric type =D It's pretty obvious why Rocket-dan cannot catch anything =D
Still... that brings us to fact that Musashi has 2 Pokemon... and... both are weak to Pikachu =D
Lol, Koromori & Desumasu confirmed male.
Lizardon boss stance xDDD
Female... are... kowaii...
Hat... the best friend of every Pokemon trainer. Must not be damaged at any cost :D
Pikachu's legendary pantomime detttaaaaaa!!!
Dat master plan :D Just according to keikaku.
Well... cool power... seems like Satoshi's aura.
Very... calm commentary Rocket-dan... may you rest in peace.
Tsutaaja no tsundere! Kawaii :D :D

I liked this episode :D

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links