Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Progressing Hacks
Reload this Page FireRed hack: Pokemon Battle Brown

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Closed Thread

Old October 19th, 2013 (06:44 AM).
Pancakes are a girl's BFF

Nature: Hasty
I think the new tiles look great. But I was wondering, how are you going to expand on the storyline? It seems as if its missing something... unique I guess.
Other wise you'll lose yourself."
- Megaman

My deviantArt
Old October 19th, 2013 (08:01 AM).

Quote originally posted by CayCay98:
I think the new tiles look great. But I was wondering, how are you going to expand on the storyline? It seems as if its missing something... unique I guess.
I am not entirly sure what I am going to do. I think I am going to focus more on gameplay rather than story. I find if your game runs smoothly, it will be much more popular than a game with a good story. (althought I know story is important, I am going to work on that as I go along)
Old October 19th, 2013 (08:11 AM).
PurpleCharizard here!!

Nature: Calm
Nice storyline, good luck!

Old October 20th, 2013 (02:40 PM).

Quote originally posted by PurpleCharizardZX:
Nice storyline, good luck!
Thanks! If anyone wants to see, I posted a picture of the starting town in the maps revirew thread!
Old October 20th, 2013 (02:45 PM).
Pancakes are a girl's BFF

Nature: Hasty
What font did you use for Battle Brown? And who else is working on the hack besides you and the beta testers? btw I know I've said this before but your titlescreen. Beautiful.
Other wise you'll lose yourself."
- Megaman

My deviantArt
Old October 20th, 2013 (02:56 PM).

Quote originally posted by CayCay98:
What font did you use for Battle Brown? And who else is working on the hack besides you and the beta testers? btw I know I've said this before but your titlescreen. Beautiful.
Well no one is currently working on my hack other then me!
The title screen was made by Karatekid552! I hired him to make it (so I also paid him to do it) but other then that (and beta testers) I have been making the whole thing!

The font as given to me by the same guy who is currently making pokemon cobalt. I would ask him!

However, even though I am making my game on my own, I need some help! I am trying to find a good spriter to work with! So if anyone who is reading this knows of a spriter who is willing to be a part of this ROM, let me know!
Old October 20th, 2013 (03:30 PM).

*GASP!* I saw the multiple options of starters, and I'm seriously in awe. I ADORE the screenshots! The storyline is just awesomeness. :3

Did you make multiple scripts for the starting Pokemon selection?

The Vocaloids battling with Pokemon? What could go wrong?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI8YOOHlEXQ
Po pi po! (Pokemon Gold music import)
Check out my channel for more!
Old October 20th, 2013 (06:57 PM).

Quote originally posted by Airikita:
*GASP!* I saw the multiple options of starters, and I'm seriously in awe. I ADORE the screenshots! The storyline is just awesomeness. :3

Did you make multiple scripts for the starting Pokemon selection?
Yeah I did! I really think getting to choose form any starter out of the three genertations is really cool, and not enough people do it!

Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it! I am planning on adding mroe screenshots when I have more of the game finished, but I am working on OWs and such right now so it's kind of a pain in the ass right now!
Old October 21st, 2013 (10:24 AM).
I killed Spiderman.

Nature: Bashful
Quote originally posted by Varion:
If this takes place 3 days after a giant war.

You may want to change tiles alot, because at the moment it doesn't look post-war times.
Also, the story seems pretty good, let's just hope it turns out good in gameplay.

Also, you've not used the [Red_FR] command in XSE to make the font red from talking to a female NPC.
Also the name WINNIPEG sounds strange and not very town-like?
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-482020-winnipeg_vacations-i

Looks good, I'll definitely try it out.

Do YOU want a spam section?
Vote for POKESpam2014.
Old October 21st, 2013 (10:26 AM).
Great Pokémon Reject

Nature: Quirky
uwaaa~ I've been following this for a while, looking at the awesome updates you bring. Keep up the work, and I can't wait to play the beta

DFTBA DFTBA DFTBA. (more banners soon to come... maybe) (hoping that Lilac comes back) DFTBA DFTBA DFTBA.
You joined for ROM Hacking, didn't you, PokeReject?
Pokemon is life. Life is Pokemon. Why yes, yes I did. Pokemon is life. Life is Pokemon.

Old October 25th, 2013 (04:35 PM).
Puts the fun in dysfunctional

Nature: Quirky
In-depth Review, courtesy of Winter!
The Story
Personally, I like the aspect of losing your father. It makes you question about the war and see what it’s like; maybe even find him. I’m assuming the central plot is to find your father, which ultimately ties in with Deoxys. I like that you didn’t mention anything of an evil team, as that seemed too typical. However, the war between the regions begs the question if you can travel to both of the involved regions.

Gameplay
My first issue is that the game is also a 386 patch. I feel like that is entirely too many Pokémon to put into a game. It leads to almost never running into the same Pokémon in a different route. I feel like the biggest a Pokedex should be is, maybe, 180. This carries on in the idea of every legendary being included. I feel like that makes it less about the Pokémon being a legendary instead of just something to collect. I feel like games should follow the example set forth by Nintendo. One of the small legendaries(Mew, Jirachi, Celebi, etc.), a set of roaming legendaries/trio(Birds, beasts, and Lati@s) and one major legendary, maybe two. But, to include every single legendary kind of feels excessive. I do like the idea of sidequests, although these have to be interesting enough to not be deemed a waste of time to do. I have confidence that you can make your sidestories worthy. I do enjoy the idea of the puzzles, and I look forward to messing with them.

Screenshots
I enjoy the titlescreen, and the world map looks lovely—thankfully not too many water routes. The tiles look magnificent, but I do take issue with the starters. Like I said with the 386 and legendaries, it feels excessive.
The question you asked

New tiles are never necessary. They’re nice to have, however, I find that it’s best to use the tiles you’re comfortable with. So, if you’re most comfortable using FRLG tiles, stick to those. Don’t sacrifice quality just for graphics.

All in all, I am definitely looking forward to playing this hack, Awipe. Best of luck! If you need any help, or just wanna mull ideas around, feel free to talk to me. :D

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
Robert Frost, Fire and Ice.

Play Me Casually | Project Leola

Old November 3rd, 2013 (10:39 AM).

Very interesting storyline I would definitely consider to make a let's play of this on my channel.
Old November 17th, 2013 (09:56 PM).

Quote originally posted by Nuclearpoypoy:
Very interesting storyline I would definitely consider to make a let's play of this on my channel.
Oh I would love that! It would be perfect! What's your youtube channel?
Old November 17th, 2013 (10:38 PM).

I'll be beta tester I'm 13 so have lots of time on my hands and this hack looks awesome so I would love to!

Old November 18th, 2013 (12:43 AM).
ふゆかい

Nature: Quiet
I like the tiles, it looks full of life. Very, very full of life.
I kinda hate the back sprite on the male hero, gives me weird shivers.
Well, the scripts are fine. But you need to fit every sentence in every
single text box you wrote on it. The title screen stands out at least.
Good luck on completing this!
Old November 18th, 2013 (04:45 PM).

It's nuclearpoypoy and it's profile image is a guitar.
Old November 19th, 2013 (10:14 AM). Edited November 19th, 2013 by mydrago.
Plastic Memories <3

Nature: Timid
The title screen looks awsome
And the tiles looks awsome
I can't wait for the first beta comes out

Old January 20th, 2014 (12:20 PM).

This hack looked so promissing!
HAve you given up on it?
Old January 23rd, 2015 (10:46 PM).

I wanna be a beta tester to your game, so if you wish to include me as a part of your rom feel free to message me!
Old January 24th, 2015 (02:23 PM).
The Psycho Pokemon

Nature: Jolly
Battle Brown? While the title is slightly different, I think it might be a good idea to change it since one might mistake this as the famous Red hack Pokemon Brown or as a remake, especially since this game is a Fire Red hack and thus one could make that mistake even more.

That aside due to this being a fire red hack, how will you manage EV training? I ask since the EV reducing berries technically didn't eist until Emerald and as such pomeg, kelpsy, ect will not reduce EVs in FR/LG. Having to breed to do any EV training on pokemon you already caught is a waste of time. However I have heard that the EV berries technically DO exist in FR even though they can't be obtained, but the coding is there. Regardless though you need to have a proper means of EV training to impliment for this due to the hard challenges will need exceptionally strong pokemon.

Also for berries in general you need to have berry patches or some means to grow berries in general as well. It would be nice if there was a way to impliment the Berry Crusher in a rom hack if at all possible since one can get free HP Ups or Proteins through that thing by making berry powder, and that can solve some issues with EVs to an extent without having to spend a fortune at a store (even if you can only use ten of each item on a given pokemon within the limited number of EVs a pokemon can pick up).

And since you will use some 4th gen pokemon, the phys/special split made by doesn'tknowhowtoplay from gen 4 on up is a must, especially since so many 3rd gen pokemon have typing that disagrees with their stats prior to the 4th gen. You might as well consider asking Mrdollsteak to use his rom base for Fire Red since it has pretty much all you need regarding moves and even abilities as well as Doesn'tknowhowtoplay's spec//phys split.
Old January 24th, 2015 (03:24 PM).

Quote originally posted by looneyman1:
Battle Brown? While the title is slightly different, I think it might be a good idea to change it since one might mistake this as the famous Red hack Pokemon Brown or as a remake, especially since this game is a Fire Red hack and thus one could make that mistake even more.

That aside due to this being a fire red hack, how will you manage EV training? I ask since the EV reducing berries technically didn't eist until Emerald and as such pomeg, kelpsy, ect will not reduce EVs in FR/LG. Having to breed to do any EV training on pokemon you already caught is a waste of time. However I have heard that the EV berries technically DO exist in FR even though they can't be obtained, but the coding is there. Regardless though you need to have a proper means of EV training to impliment for this due to the hard challenges will need exceptionally strong pokemon.

Also for berries in general you need to have berry patches or some means to grow berries in general as well. It would be nice if there was a way to impliment the Berry Crusher in a rom hack if at all possible since one can get free HP Ups or Proteins through that thing by making berry powder, and that can solve some issues with EVs to an extent without having to spend a fortune at a store (even if you can only use ten of each item on a given pokemon within the limited number of EVs a pokemon can pick up).

And since you will use some 4th gen pokemon, the phys/special split made by doesn'tknowhowtoplay from gen 4 on up is a must, especially since so many 3rd gen pokemon have typing that disagrees with their stats prior to the 4th gen. You might as well consider asking Mrdollsteak to use his rom base for Fire Red since it has pretty much all you need regarding moves and even abilities as well as Doesn'tknowhowtoplay's spec//phys split.
Well with the EV training thing it's actually going to be super simple. I'm going to use JPANs hack engine to read EVs and with that code I believe I can make it so you can just give the player EVs and they dont have to grind for it.

I have used the hack engine for all the moves and phys/special split. I have currently hit a wall right now trying to make the trainers work out but i'm still going strong
Old January 24th, 2015 (11:55 PM).
The Psycho Pokemon

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by awipe1:
Well with the EV training thing it's actually going to be super simple. I'm going to use JPANs hack engine to read EVs and with that code I believe I can make it so you can just give the player EVs and they dont have to grind for it.

I have used the hack engine for all the moves and phys/special split. I have currently hit a wall right now trying to make the trainers work out but i'm still going strong

Excellent, I got nothing else to say then! Good luck I'll be awaiting this when it's further along most definately. I normally don't play fan games/rom hacks if they're so early alpha that they only have like a few minutes playtime so I can handle waiting a while for the later beta releases.
Old 1 Week Ago (09:22 PM).

I wanna beta test your game!!
Old 1 Week Ago (02:20 AM).
CS

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Quote originally posted by Kise:
I wanna beta test your game!!
Please don't revive threads whose latest post is older than one month. awipe, if you want this thread re-opened, just send myself or Christos a PM or VM and we'll re-open it.

Sponsored Links