The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 20th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Sacrament
burn that mother down.

Nature: Lax
I was going to answer that I'm indifferent towards my Pokemon's genders, but now that I think about it, it seems like that's not the case at all. I faintly remember trying to get a female Ralts in the 3rd gen games, despite its low appearance rate (it was something like five percent if memory serves). I went through two Ralts that were both male before I got a female. I think I spent a couple of hours hunting for a Gardevoir that didn't make me feel awkward, lol.

Then again, I might not be as sensitive to genders as most of you seems to be. I don't recall ever doing the same thing to another Pokemon, though I don't exactly remember having a female Machamp or Mr. Mime either.
Old October 20th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Goatie

Nature: Modest
Both are fine, only if they differ in appearance or evolutions.. I prefer one over another.

But thats it!

But then I realized that one picture would take more space then most of the posts I'll make..
Old October 20th, 2013, 09:21 AM
pokemon-hack

for me if the pokemon looks male it has to be a male and if it looks like a girl it has to be a girl.

otherwise it's weird to have pokemon that looks male to be female.
they should put in the ability to put a ribbon or something on the female pokemon, to make it girly.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 04:00 PM
Penta Penguin
Sorting out my mental problems.

A gender of a pokemon really doesn't matter to me. Unless, it was specific for getting certain pokemon when you evolve them. Battle wise, I would say that Males and Females perform equally as well.

Looking for a scripter desperately for Pokemon Dark Nebula. If you
would like to help, drop me a PM or VM.
It's a Romhack btw.
~Twitter~ ~Youtube RH~ ~Youtube Music~
Old October 27th, 2013, 05:27 PM
PumpJack
Gentleman Thug

As with many, it doesn't much matter to me unless I deem them to be more apt as one gender or another.

Machamp, Graveler, Alakazam, Steelix, Crawdaunt are some that- to my mind- are just male. Inextricably.

Whilst
Ninetales, Gardevoir, Dragonair, Mismagius, Espeon, Lopunny are a few that I have great difficulty seeing as male.

It's stupid, but it often does take priority over anything else whether I choose to catch it or not. I remember spending a few days kicking around Hoenn trying to find a damned female Ralts.
Old October 27th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Death
The Pale Horseman
Community Supporter

Nature: Hardy
The sex of the Pokemon for me doesn't matter anymore. I got over the 'all my 'mons need to be male' phase of my life during my time playing generation five.

There are select few Pokemon I like being male (or female). Such as if I ever got a Sylveon, it needs to be male and my Milotic must be female.

art @ smellyoak
Old October 27th, 2013, 09:33 PM
CoffeeDrink
Koffi~

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qlu View Post
. . .there are select few Pokemon I like being male (or female). Such as if I ever got a Sylveon, it needs to be male. . .
Do you want him to be treated as a fairy, koff~

All jokes (a crude one at that) aside, it brings me hope that you just don't care about the genders. There are some that I prefer that are female for breeding purposes. In Pokemon X and Y there are male and female Mr. Mime. . . wut, koffi~
FROM FAITH, COMETH HONOUR.
FROM HONOUR, COMETH IRON.
THIS IS THE UNBREAKABLE LITANY;
AND MAY IT FOREVER BE SO.

Last edited by CoffeeDrink; October 27th, 2013 at 09:34 PM. Reason: quote fix
Old October 30th, 2013, 05:14 PM
shizy

Nature: Impish
I don't really have a huge preference for the gender of my Pokemon. I used to, back in Gen 2 days, because female Pokemon were weaker what with DVs determining gender, but nowadays it doesn't really matter to me unless there's a gender appearance difference and I don't like it. (Ew, female Wobbufett.)

Funnily enough, though, I actually like having Pokemon whose gender conflicts with its appearance. (Male Gothita/Ralts/Buneary, female Machop/Timburr etc.) And I'm always really thrilled when my starter is female because it's quite uncommon.
Old October 30th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Ewery1
Buizels FTW!

Nature: Jolly
I do not care at all about gender. I even ignore it so much, that I don't check the gender before I nickname it, and many times I have gotten something along the line of a female Pokemon named Steve... Or a male Pokemon named Sally. Obviously with better nicknames though.

Get your own one here http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=307712
Old October 30th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Pilkie
Pokémon Breeder

Nature: Quirky
I don't really care about the gender unless I am searching for a specific Pokémon to breed. I used to care in G/S/C, but that was only because female Pokémon were weaker for some reason. Like Shizy, I also get excited when my starter is female. I was lucky enough to grab a female Turtwig for my current Diamond playthrough.

~---------------------------------------------------------------------------~
3DS Friend Code: 4399-0158-9260
(Note: Please PM me if you add me so I know it's a PC member and not a random)
Friend Safari: Ghost Type: Phantump, Lampent, and Golurk
Old October 30th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Shimokane

My starter, Shimokane(Froakie), was a female. Not sure if this is common or not because all of my past gen starters were all males.
EDIT: Okay, I see it is quite uncommon. :p

Please click these dragons to help them grow :3
Old November 2nd, 2013, 09:57 AM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
I generally really do prefer male Pokemon over female. But in the long run it doesn't matter that much. After all, they battle in the same way learning the same moves etc etc. The only times where I really do care about gender is when I go to nickname the Pokemon, since I like to give male related names such as 'Rocky'.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 06:45 AM
~Tentacruel~

Huh.. I never really cared about the gender. Really the only time in my life where I cared about the gender of a Pokémon was, when I got a male Luvdisc in Sapphire because that was somewhat special since Luvdisc has a 75% change of being female.

I really don't care if my Pokémon is male or female. Of course it's weird to find a male Lopunny or a female Machoke but who gives.. If anything it's even better because it's funny.

-- Matt
Old November 3rd, 2013, 03:29 PM
NRG

I don't pay attention to gender unless I am breeding.

female if I want something of that species, male if I'm using it to breed anything from it's egg group.
Old November 25th, 2013, 10:53 PM
Juno
daring, nerve & chivalry

If I'm just catching a Pokemon to fill the dex and I know I won't really use them, then I don't take their gender into account.

However, if I'm looking for a specific Pokemon to be part of my team and they're more aesthetically male or female to me (if that makes sense) then I will spend as long as it takes to find one of the "right" gender.

Like when I wanted a Salamence, I had to find a male Bagon, and when I wanted a Sylveon I spent ages looking for a female Eevee. Which took me a loong time since Eevees are 87.5% male, but I just wasn't having a male Sylveon.

I'm not necrobumping, am I? Hasn't quite been a month yet.
Old November 26th, 2013, 01:42 AM
Slaying Moon

Nature: Quiet
Personally, unless there's no other option, I only use female Pokemon. The only times I ever use male Pokemon are for breeding and for filling up the Pokedex (which I have never done).

Currently breeding: Illusions.
Old November 26th, 2013, 02:01 AM
Antebellum
One Word Extinguisher
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Yeah I got a female Chespin twice and reset until I got a male, personally I just associate my starter with being a male pokemon unless it looks girly; aside from that I don't really care.

paired to kaori & vrai
Old November 26th, 2013, 03:05 AM
DanteSolablood
Internet Celebrity

I far prefer having female pokémon myself, but I don't think it's for any other reason that they're usually rarer than males. The only exception to the rule is for Alakazam... if I had a female Alakazam I DEFINITELY would have made it wax it's upper lip, so the sprite is just all wrong for me. :D

I'm also a big fan of kewt things, so a male Sylveon with those big blue eyes & ribbons just feels wrong. I know that's just gender-role-stereotyping at it's worst... but I want my kewt stuff kewt!

http://www.youtube.com/user/KamenDev
Old November 27th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Pixelrushe
Da Man

Nature: Naive
Same as Nerakil above, I never give a second thought on the gender of the Pokemon unless if I'm going to have it on my team or use it for some other specific purpose. Then I always try to catch what I feel is the "appropriate" gender for its design.

As a side note, I always try to have a gender equal team, three of them male, the rest female. I've always played like that for as long as I remember. Don't know why that is. ^^
Old November 27th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Zekrom
Teravolt

Most of the time I don't care about the genders of my Pokemon. There are a few exceptions though, like Gardevoir, certain Eeveelutions, and stuff.
Old November 27th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Powerstars

Nah, it doesn't really matter unless they're overly masculine or feminine.

Pokémon Pearl (Ultimate Leader Challenge - Jasmine)
2/8 Badges
Old November 27th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Orpheus
Burn my Dread

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castform View Post
Gender doesn't really matter to me unless it looks gender specific, then it must be for me to catch it, or if I have a nickname planned, then I must match the correct gender. Otherwise, idc.
Same here I don't care about my Pokemon's gender.

Pair

Theme

CSS by Sheep

Old November 27th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Pumpkaboo
Peek-a-boo

Nature: Quirky
I prefer to have certain pokemon as certain genders, then I bond with them better. Though all of my shinies bar one have been female so far so that's a little frustrating.
Old November 27th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Introvert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerakil View Post
If I'm just catching a Pokemon to fill the dex and I know I won't really use them, then I don't take their gender into account.

However, if I'm looking for a specific Pokemon to be part of my team and they're more aesthetically male or female to me (if that makes sense) then I will spend as long as it takes to find one of the "right" gender.

Like when I wanted a Salamence, I had to find a male Bagon, and when I wanted a Sylveon I spent ages looking for a female Eevee. Which took me a loong time since Eevees are 87.5% male, but I just wasn't having a male Sylveon.

I'm not necrobumping, am I? Hasn't quite been a month yet.
I'm in the same boat as her. I use to be so OCD about genders that I ONLY caught males, but now it depends on what I think the pokemon looks like more.
Old November 28th, 2013, 08:34 AM
psychomew2
Rank 1: Otsdarva

Nature: Rash
If anything, I prefer to have a ballance of male and female pokemon on my team. I tend to try to go for an equal opportunity approach XD. When it comes to competitive battling though, I tend to just take what I can get. After breeding for natures, ivs and egg moves, I tend to not want to keep going for the sole purpose of getting one specific gender over another.

On the matter of my argument with Idankingo I admit to being too fast to anger and assuming the worst too quickly, and apologize for any unpleasentness caused because of it.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links