The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Technology & Internet

Notices

Technology & Internet The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 10th, 2013, 04:54 AM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
Welp, I mad the silly mistake of ignoring windows updated and now I am left with a computer that won't start up!

Old October 10th, 2013, 05:18 AM
Zach
Sniiiii~

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicune™ View Post
Welp, I mad the silly mistake of ignoring windows updated and now I am left with a computer that won't start up!
If you can, before you get to the Windows loading screen, try hitting F8 on your keyboard and you should see a list of options come up. See if "Boot into last good known configuration" works. If not, then try a system restore and see if that work.
Fairy
Old October 10th, 2013, 05:28 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachLMedia View Post
If you can, before you get to the Windows loading screen, try hitting F8 on your keyboard and you should see a list of options come up. See if "Boot into last good known configuration" works. If not, then try a system restore and see if that work.
That will work.

Windows 8 and RT will also figure it out if it sees three unsuccessful boot attempts in a row.
Old October 10th, 2013, 05:34 AM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
I tried that but it just did the same thing as going into "Start Windows Normally". I managed to start it up and get into the System Recovery software by pressing F2, basically I've done a system restore and it's working again! n_n

Old October 10th, 2013, 05:51 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicune™ View Post
I tried that but it just did the same thing as going into "Start Windows Normally". I managed to start it up and get into the System Recovery software by pressing F2, basically I've done a system restore and it's working again! n_n
Cool.

Have you tried reinstalling updates yet? (Try installing all updates that are checked by default - not all updates. Some updates have a higher chance of installation success if installed after some updates.)
Old October 10th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Zach
Sniiiii~

The last time I had a corrupt Windows Update was when I tried like 4 times to install Windows 7 SP1 on my laptop last year.. however what the culprit was is that I had a bad boot record, so after fixing that SP1 was able to install fine onto my laptop (and any other subsequent updates as well).
Fairy
Old October 19th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Zach
Sniiiii~

*gives this topic more activity*

Ah, so I booted my laptop for the first time in ages today and so far it seems to be running okay, except for all the updates I had on it :p I also booted up Skype as well and that didn't take long thank gosh
Fairy
Old October 19th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote:
*gives this topic more activity*

Ah, so I booted my laptop for the first time in ages today and so far it seems to be running okay, except for all the updates I had on it :p I also booted up Skype as well and that didn't take long thank gosh
Well, that's good news, at least

And good to see you back online, too.

Anyway... uh, well, tried reinstalling the updates?
Old October 20th, 2013, 04:44 AM
Starry Windy
Keep smiling yo~
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Starry Windy
When I checked my Windows Updates last time, I installed most of them already except for Office 2007 SP3 and 2010 support (and 2 certain drivers updates), that I consider my laptop is fully up-to-date, and it was in a few days before my laptop's BIOS goes haywire...

I want to ask you guys (after I'm experiencing the problem that I just mentioned), if you guys have ever changing using laptops or even PC at some point.
Pairs | PC Family | My PC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr
Old October 21st, 2013, 04:40 AM
Zach
Sniiiii~

Well, I do consider changing computers all the time based on what has the better specs.. in the most recent case, I began using my desktop way more than my laptop once I managed to get a newer (but not new) desktop and put Windows 7 on it. Before then, the desktop I used only had 2 GB RAM and Windows XP.
Fairy
Old October 21st, 2013, 06:02 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Sometimes I wonder whether I'll manage to stay with this laptop for more than a year... It's almost 10 months.
Old October 21st, 2013, 07:49 AM
Starry Windy
Keep smiling yo~
Community Supporter

It's the first time for me to changing laptop, because of the old laptop's issue that I need to buy a new one. I need to be used to newer OS of Windows 8 in my new laptop after using Windows 7 for years, because using this new OS means a totally different league for me.

However, I never change my PC because I was upgrading my PC little-by-little in terms of RAMs. But the out-of-date nature of my PC (well, the hardware which is in there is already old-fashioned) is what makes me consider to change one someday.
Old October 21st, 2013, 10:35 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Heart View Post
It's the first time for me to changing laptop, because of the old laptop's issue that I need to buy a new one. I need to be used to newer OS of Windows 8 in my new laptop after using Windows 7 for years, because using this new OS means a totally different league for me.

However, I never change my PC because I was upgrading my PC little-by-little in terms of RAMs. But the out-of-date nature of my PC (well, the hardware which is in there is already old-fashioned) is what makes me consider to change one someday.
So what are you planning to get/did you get this time?
Old October 21st, 2013, 06:52 PM
Starry Windy
Keep smiling yo~
Community Supporter

I managed to buy a new laptop yesterday which have Windows 8 in it, and for me, Windows 8 is quite odd if I'm not getting used to it, because the Start button does different thing now.
Old October 21st, 2013, 09:21 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Windows 8 is quite nice, not gonna lie. The only thing I really hate about my laptop I have is that the graphics card is integrated, which means I can't change it easily. I'd like to have more than 128 MB of graphics ram, but I don't think that's going to happen. My laptop has gaming potential, but the lack of graphics ram really bottlenecks that.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old October 21st, 2013, 09:36 PM
Starry Windy
Keep smiling yo~
Community Supporter

I think I agree with you, that Windows 8 starts to grow up in me, and my new laptop is more nicer if it comes to gaming right now (which have 1 GB dedicated memory), compared to my old one (which have about 128 MB's).
Old October 22nd, 2013, 05:45 PM
Zach
Sniiiii~

It never really takes long for an operating system to grow on me at all. The next problem is: trying to get the fact that when I'm using older operating systems that some features aren't available.

For example, my server runs Server 2003, and when I was doing some work with it about a month ago, I tried to drag down a window up to the top of the screen to maximize it.
Fairy
Old October 22nd, 2013, 08:28 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
It never really takes long for an operating system to grow on me at all. The next problem is: trying to get the fact that when I'm using older operating systems that some features aren't available.

For example, my server runs Server 2003, and when I was doing some work with it about a month ago, I tried to drag down a window up to the top of the screen to maximize it.
I felt the same when I use any other computer in general. I'm used to a touchscreen, so when I'm on a desktop I go to reach for the screen, then realize it's not a touchscreen.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old October 22nd, 2013, 10:30 PM
Starry Windy
Keep smiling yo~
Community Supporter

lol yeah, I'm like that too, because after I'm using my current phone (which have touchscreen), when I'm touching my old phone's screen, I realized that my old phone is not using touchscreen, so I'm like between getting used to new technology or old ones now.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 08:52 AM
Terabyte

Quote:

That's exactly how I am! And it's strange for me since I use Windows Vista alongside Windows 7, both of which use Aero.

Speaking of which, I really wish Windows 7 had the option like Windows Vista to where windows weren't transparent when they're maximized, because I don't like the idea of seeing my desktop background through my taskbar whenever I have programs maximized :\
Old October 23rd, 2013, 11:18 AM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terabyte View Post
That's exactly how I am! And it's strange for me since I use Windows Vista alongside Windows 7, both of which use Aero.

Speaking of which, I really wish Windows 7 had the option like Windows Vista to where windows weren't transparent when they're maximized, because I don't like the idea of seeing my desktop background through my taskbar whenever I have programs maximized :\
Try Windows 7 Basic or go into your themes and adjust the color intensity of your window colors in your Aero theme settings. Won't completely hide the windows behind your current one, but you won't notice they're there unless you're specifically seeking them out.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 04:12 PM
Zach
Sniiiii~

If I ever actually switch to Windows 8, the one thing I'd probably miss the most is Aero Glass.
Fairy
Old October 23rd, 2013, 05:24 PM
Buoysel
net start w3svc

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
If I ever actually switch to Windows 8, the one thing I'd probably miss the most is Aero Glass.
Areo Glass, and Areo Peak are what I miss most. Simple things are the most missed, strange.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 09:29 PM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terabyte View Post
I know your feeling, right? Try cranking up the colour intensity of the window colour in Windows 7 - it's actually just another word for "how opaque the windows should be". It won't be completely opaque, but it's close when you have it at maximum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
Try Windows 7 Basic or go into your themes and adjust the color intensity of your window colors in your Aero theme settings. Won't completely hide the windows behind your current one, but you won't notice they're there unless you're specifically seeking them out.
This is also arguably the fastest way to see your desktop responsiveness and smoothness plummet. Windows' DWM uses your graphics card to draw all these nice-looking windows and handle a lot of work, reducing the load on CPU by a lot and also preventing redrawing glitches for the most part. Not allowing that means everything has to be done on the CPU, and, well...

You'll also be penalizing the graphical performance of web browsers, for example.

Leave Aero on in Windows 7 if your graphics card isn't some integrated junk in 2006 (emphasis on integrated in 2006 - today's Intel integrated is faster than your CPU at drawing your desktop).

Quote:
Originally Posted by quilzel View Post
Areo Glass, and Areo Peak are what I miss most. Simple things are the most missed, strange.
Aero Peek actually still exists in Windows 8.x. It's just disabled by default. Open the taskbar properties and check the last checkbox.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 10:22 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Windows Aero is just as dependent on the processor as the Windows classic theme in Windows 7, if not moreso. Maybe it is technically supposed to work the way you describe, but that's not been what I've been experiencing when experimenting with this and looking at raw performance numbers on various PCs running W7.

Sponsored Links