Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation
Reload this Page 4th Generation: Who is the toughest Gym leader you ever battled?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Old September 30th, 2013 (07:25 AM).

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Negix
Byron was THE hardest Gym trainer I've ever faced in Gen 4. His pokemon were so annoying; because he had higher leveled pokemon, better movesets, and insanely high defense. I had to grind my pokemon one at a time and lose purposely against his last one, just so I could even the odds and be around his level.
Old October 3rd, 2013 (12:36 PM).

Nature: Quiet
Candice isnt the HARDEST but i would say the most ANNOYING HARD kind. First getting to her takes a while if you cant find the right path and her abomasnow can be deadly if it gets you in a grass whistle then uses wood hammer like 2 times you are going to get hurt unless you got a fire pokemon THAT LATE in the game then its going to take a while to defeat her. plus why does she have a medicham... its only ice move is the ice punch and its a fight/psychic... at LEAST she isnt that random with her team like Volkner in Diamond/Pearl...
Old October 10th, 2013 (06:30 PM).
Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!

Nature: Calm
I don't remember much from Gen IV, but I am doing a HG Nuzlocke right now. Honestly, not one gym leader has given me any problem (Most of them I didn't even lose hit points). All of them but one.

That's right. Whitney.

She gave me such a freight. I had to sacrifice my random Rattata so no one else had to take the full-power Rollout... I still feel guilty...

"Hope is like a piece of string when you're drowning. It just isn't enough to get you out by itself." -Perrin Aybara
Old October 19th, 2013 (04:34 AM).

Probably: Clair in HG/SS, as well as Candace in Platinum because of her Frosslass.

To take this test, click here.

To take the old test, click here.
Old October 19th, 2013 (01:47 PM).
Friend of the People

Send a message via Skype™ to KawaiiFutureFriend
I have no clue why I'm about to say what I'm about to say, but my god, I just always had trouble with Maylene. To this very day, I still have large issues with fighting Maylene. She doesn't seem like she should be such a difficult challenge, especially because I've seen others take her out easy. I just always lose to her. She's my Air Man, I swear.
Old October 20th, 2013 (05:27 PM).
Akame Marukawa of Iyotono

Nature: Gentle
The toughest gym leader I've battled in Pokemon Pearl was Volkner, only because he almost defeated me (but he didn't). My lead was an Empoleon (Poseidon) and my others that I remember were Palkia (Legend), Staraptor (Raptor) and Luxray (Tiger). Tiger ended up saving the day, because Legend wasn't very strong as I'd only just caught him. Raptor and Poseidon were both weak to electric type moves. I found it pretty easy overall, it was just more difficult compared to the other leaders.
"The human sacrificed himself, to save the Pokemon. I pitted them against each other, but not until they set aside their differences did I see the true power they all share deep inside. I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." -Mewtwo
Old October 20th, 2013 (06:25 PM).
ℱ a e r i e . ℚ u e e n

Nature: Hardy
Fantina and her blasted Mismagius always got me. Always. The rest of the Region was a pretty good challenge, but nothing more; Fantina, however, always required a lot of panicked training before I even got close to her Gym.

thank you for waiting!
we've restored your pokémon to full health.

dark monotypeart credit
Old October 20th, 2013 (06:47 PM).
Rank 1: Otsdarva

Nature: Rash
Quote originally posted by Crystalanachrony:
Fantina and her blasted Mismagius always got me. Always. The rest of the Region was a pretty good challenge, but nothing more; Fantina, however, always required a lot of panicked training before I even got close to her Gym.
Yeah, pretty much this. Didn't help matters that she was the third gym leader in platinum, and Mismagius is a bit op for that point in the game. At least in diamond/pearl you had a chance to have a few fully evolved pokemon of your own before you faced Fantina seeing as she was fifth, but chances are you won't have many (if any) fully evolved pokemon by the time you faced here in platinum. At least Gardinia (who also had a final stage pokemon) was weak to one of the starters, and the easily obtainable flying type.
Old October 20th, 2013 (06:54 PM).
All hail Raticate

Nature: Serious
Watson.
His Magneton has about 13 resistances.
Only thing stopping it is Marshtomp and Combusken.
I took a Grovyle, knew I was dead meat.

Fantina was not hard, Candice wasn't, and even Whitney. Whitney's Miltank was beat by a below average Growlithe, I might add.

Claire... Kingdra was hard. Meganium and Lickillicky pretty much nailed Kingdra.
Sinnoh sucked in terms of Gym Leaders and Elite Four... Cynthia doesn't even deserve to be Champion. Good thing they made Platinum harder, Diamond and Pearl were child's play.

Come at me bro.
Old October 20th, 2013 (07:03 PM).
ℱ a e r i e . ℚ u e e n

Nature: Hardy
Whitney was reasonably simple to beat if you had a Pokémon that could withstand a few hits and you were ready for the long haul. I once took her out using only an underlevelled Murkrow.

As for Wattson... well, I only ever used Marshtomp or Combusken, so he never struck me as that big of a deal?

thank you for waiting!
we've restored your pokémon to full health.

dark monotypeart credit
Old October 24th, 2013 (03:13 PM).

Nature: Quirky
I would say Volkner from pokėmon platinum. In Heart Gold, Morty gave me a tough time.
Old October 24th, 2013 (05:21 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by PokemonTrainerRedBlueYellow:
In Heart Gold, Morty gave me a tough time.
This. I stupidly went in first with no awakenings. Learnt my lesson but it still took me 3 times to beat him. Hypnosis is just the worst.

'Zubat used confuse ray'. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Old October 24th, 2013 (06:20 PM).
The Mighty Scizor

Nature: Serious
The hardest i fought i was no joke the first gym leader Roark his cranidos always whopped my ass every time.
Old October 25th, 2013 (09:11 AM).

this sounds stupid but i had a little trouble with Bugsy. i chose Totodile as my starter that might have been the problem.
Old October 25th, 2013 (02:01 PM).
Reality? Or a dream?

heart gold and soulsilver are in gen 4 so WHITNEY. That blasted normal gym leader and her infamous Miltank. ugh. Thats all I need to say as I bet a bunch of you all feel the same way lol
Old October 31st, 2013 (05:13 AM).
Delphox used Mystical Fire!

Nature: Modest
Well, I got knocked out the most times by Whitney I guess :3 I even may have held my Gameboy system tighter for preparation when she says the phrase before you battle her: "I'm warning you, I'm goooood!" xD

Signature and Avatar made by: © She_Delphox
Currently playing: Pokemon Omega Ruby

Old October 31st, 2013 (06:04 PM).
You seem rather drunk
Gold Tier

Fantina. Her Mismagius really caused me problems whichever Pokemon I used. If I recall correctly, the last time I battled Fantina I won on my 6th try. Never easy against her.
Old November 12th, 2013 (05:55 PM).
TheOneAndOnlyPokemon

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to MarcEddy
I can't even remember my battles.. XD

2/3ds Friend code:0104-1468-6275 IGN:Marc | My 3ds games, Pokemon Y, Luigi's Mansion:DM, Mario Kart 7
Old November 15th, 2013 (06:02 PM).

Definitely Clair. I had to try multiple times to try and beat her. I guess my team wasn't good enough.
Old November 16th, 2013 (01:30 AM).
turn up the engine
Crystal Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to s0nido
I would have to say Chuck. He was a pain in the ass to defeat. His Pokemon were so bulky, and then there was that stupid Poliwrath which resisted everything you threw at it. It also didn't help that all your Pokemon were severely underleveled compared to his at that stage, bar your starters and a few other Pokemon, all of which are basically useless against his Pokemon anyway. T.T
Old November 16th, 2013 (02:35 PM).
You're Indestructible
Gold Tier

Nature: Lonely
I think Clair was the hardest in Gen 4 for me. I can't even remember why it was so hard, I just remember losing so many times I ran out of money. Then when she still refused to give me my badge, I wanted to cry.
Old November 23rd, 2013 (02:30 PM).

I always despised Bugsy really, His scyther was a pain! Seriously I tried billions of times until one of my pokemon got up to level 23 then I aced Scyther.

^Me
Old November 25th, 2013 (01:46 PM).
helloiamuncreativewithusernames helloiamuncreativewithusernames is offline

Whitney - MILTANK I WANT TO KILLLL YOUUUU

Chuck - Forgot about his Poliwrath's Water Absorb every time and my water Pokemon was the only one left every time....

Fantina - Oops. Next time, remind me that even if you blow through the trainers with a Kadabra, that doesn't mean you will blow through HER with a Kadabra.

Clair - JKHLJCEHKDFSJGHNKJHTDRUKHGUKSERTHJ KINGDRA

On the other side of the spectrum (easy gym leaders):
Volkner: *stands by and laughs at his Pokemon as my Garchomp uses Earthquake*

First gym leader in Johto: "Mareep/Flaafy, use ThunderShock!"

Candice: "Magmar, use Flamethrower! Staraptor, us Close Combat but not on Froslass!"

Roark: #bubble #razorleaf #machpunch

Byron: Gym leader, or first trainer?
Old December 4th, 2013 (10:08 PM).
All your base are belong to us

Send a message via Skype™ to Mara
The hardest one for me to beat was Clair. She had such powerful dragons. xD I really hated going to that gym because it was so hard. I had to get so many items for it.
Old December 5th, 2013 (05:21 AM).
A Newbie in the Community

I'm currently playing Pokemon SoulSilver (yes, while others out there are busy playing X/Y) and I would say the toughest gym leader I've ever battled in Generation IV was Clair of Blackthorn City. I'm still training my Jynx and my Electrode just to get the Rising Badge from her. My team is not that good when it comes to her.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links