Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Video Games For all of your gaming needs! From console gaming to Let's Plays, this area encompasses all things relevant to gaming and gamers.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 27th, 2013 (10:08 PM).
Decimosoma
Free to dream, free to smile

Does anyone else feel like Nintendo's relationship towards their European fans is getting rather awful?
European fans nowadays gets the short end of the stick when it comes down to newly released games. I remember how it's usually approximately between one and four months before new games are in stock in your nearby stores, if we're lucky nowadays we've to wait six months to get new games on the consoles, worse case senario it even takes YEARS before we can get to enjoy a game we've been waiting for patiently while mostly the USA are laughing at us. If it was region-free that would change the whole matter, but sadly it's not.

(Quite ironic, though. 3DS: Region locked - Awesome ton of games.
PS Vita: Region Free - Only a few good titles worth mentioning for.)

Your thoughts?
Old September 27th, 2013 (11:57 PM).
MKGirlism
3DS and Wii U Game Developer

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to MKGirlism
I think you've been living under a rock for a while, Nintendo games in Europe actually improved in release schemes.
Most major 3DS and Wii U games get released on the same date, 2 days before America, or a week after America.
We even got games like Mario & Luigi first.

The only problem is the price.
Something what costs $ 40 USD in America, costs € 40,- in Europe.
Same digits, different currency.
$ 40 USD = € 29,58.
€ 40,- = $ 54,08 USD.
Old September 28th, 2013 (12:45 AM).
Decimosoma
Free to dream, free to smile

Sorry but I don't really care about the major games at all. To be accurate it's mostly the niche games that's getting the short end of the stick for european fans each year and most people are already aware of that. And Nintendo bringing their major games earlier to Europe isn't really a big surprise at all, it wasn't really that different from years ago.
Old September 28th, 2013 (01:13 AM).
bobandbill
Wahahahaha!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill
Australia is often treated as part of Europe (PAL I suppose), but also gets the short end of the stick, if not worse. Going on the price thing, we get 3DS games up to $70 here for instance, and that was even when our dollar was better than the US's (and it's not much worse rn either). And we seem to be getting less stuff that Europe too, overall.
ORAS Staff Collab 2014
Old September 28th, 2013 (01:44 AM).
Tombo

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tombo Send a message via Yahoo to Tombo Send a message via Skype™ to Tombo
Some are on the same day now like X and Y and other people in the thread have commented points I agree with.

3DS friend code: 1478-4001-3509

I would love to link up with people so PM me today!

It's a whole new way to see,
It's a whole new place,
With a brand new attitude
But you still gotta catch 'em all
And be the best that you can be!
Old September 28th, 2013 (04:57 AM).
MKGirlism

Decimosoma, you mean the Independent (Indie) games?
In that case, I can answer it even better.

Smaller games have more to struggle than the bigger ones.
In the American Region, we have to deal 1 Age Rating System (ESRB) and up to 4 languages (English, Spanish, French, and Portuguese).
Here in Europe, we have to deal with 3 Age Rating Systems (PEGI, USK, and ACB) and up to 8 languages (English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese, and Russian).
Which languages you want to use is up to the Developers, all Age Rating Systems are required, and they cost between € 250,- and € 2000,- per rating, per System.
If you want to use a language you don't speak, you'll need to get a professional Translator, which costs a lot too.
Beside that, Nintendo sends you many Contracts over per game you want to release, it doesn't cost anything, but it still delays a bit.
Other than these costs, think of rental of the office/building, one time costs like DevKits and PCs, electricity, other bills, these simple stuff can horribly delay releases too.

Indie Developers are simply low on budget, we just can't effort to release a game everywhere on the globe.
The reason why I can is, because I've been saving money before I even started anything.
It really isn't Nintendo who screws it up, as the Developer decides when to release anything per Region, and there are up to 6 Regions Nintendo supports: Japan, America, Europe/Australia (seriously, that's how it's called), Korea, Taiwan, and China.

Edit:
I forgot to talk about one more thing: Lot Check.
If you screw it up on at least one thing, you need to re-check it, causing delay again.
Old September 28th, 2013 (05:33 AM).
reshilegend

Quote originally posted by MKGirlism:
$ 40 USD = € 29,58.
€ 40,- = $ 54,08 USD.
So true. Games are really expensive here and they don't seem to want to adjust the prices so that it would be fair for us Europeans. That's why I only buy major 3DS titles at release when I really want them, otherwise I buy games at a reduced price when there are special offers or something. The eShop prices are ridiculous with a few exceptions.
One aspect that Nintendo does well in Europe are the game promotions like "buy 3 games get 1 for free". I like that.

^This game needs a scripter. Message me if interested!
Old September 28th, 2013 (05:58 AM).
Pinkie-Dawn
Clever Girl

Nature: Quirky
The only problem I'm seeing between Nintendo and Europe is the struggle to sell the Wii U over there. I've read that the popular UK supermarket, Tesco, was severely decreasing Nintendo shelves, making sales really limited: http://mynintendonews.com/2013/09/25/nintendo-shelf-space-severely-reduced-in-tesco-the-uks-largest-supermarket/

Part of this could be blamed on Europe's economy.
Old September 28th, 2013 (06:06 AM).
reshilegend

Quote originally posted by Pinkie-Dawn:
The only problem I'm seeing between Nintendo and Europe is the struggle to sell the Wii U over there. I've read that the popular UK supermarket, Tesco, was severely decreasing Nintendo shelves, making sales really limited: http://mynintendonews.com/2013/09/25/nintendo-shelf-space-severely-reduced-in-tesco-the-uks-largest-supermarket/

Part of this could be blamed on Europe's economy.
They are starting to advertise the Wii U more.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/09/nintendo_uk_looking_to_raise_awareness_of_wii_u_with_tesco_campaign
Imo this problem isn't really something limited to Europe, it's basically a global problem. MK 8 and SSB4 will probably give the console a boost in sales, and there's also the price drop soon.

^This game needs a scripter. Message me if interested!
Old September 28th, 2013 (11:36 AM).
Darkwing Ducklett
Let's get dangerous

Getting that way? It's been that way for years and years now. Several Gamecube games never made it to EU shores, and the hassle involved in getting the original Animal Crossing to come to the UK...well. Nintendo are frequently forgetting that there is, actually, a world outside of the US and Japan, and on the whole, I don't see a huge improvement in Nintendo in terms of release date gaps. Unless it's something major, the gap between the US and EU release date will be at least a month most of the time, if not longer.

I will give Nintendo their due, though: they have improved in bringing games to EU shores, if not necessarily doing so quickly. At least, it makes a nice change for America to have to campaign for something - the games of Operation Rainfall, to name the most prominent - and have them released over here with barely any fuss whatsoever.

Region locking has affected all English speaking territories I think, as a lot of good 3DS games haven't even made it out of Japan, never mind the US. Nintendo have really shot themselves in the foot with that one, especially since Sony and Microsoft both have abandoned it...
Old September 28th, 2013 (01:59 PM).
Incinermyn
I ain't no Robin Hood, boys! :P

Nature: Timid
Quote originally posted by Decimosoma:
Sorry but I don't really care about the major games at all. To be accurate it's mostly the niche games that's getting the short end of the stick for european fans each year and most people are already aware of that. And Nintendo bringing their major games earlier to Europe isn't really a big surprise at all, it wasn't really that different from years ago.
Niche games aren't what bring in the big bucks that Nintendo wants. This is why they're typically promoted in Japan and the US, if at all. I mean, I only found out about some interesting 3DS niche games very recently and I'm from the States. So, it's not just Europe getting the short end of the stick.
Old September 28th, 2013 (07:18 PM).
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
I think you've been living under a rock for a while, Nintendo games in Europe actually improved in release schemes.
Most major 3DS and Wii U games get released on the same date, 2 days before America, or a week after America.
We even got games like Mario & Luigi first.

$ 40 USD = € 29,58.
€ 40,- = $ 54,08 USD.
Yeah but the people in Europe also earn money in euro so this is not a fair comparison. The adequate comparison would be between the cost of life, which is much higher in Europe from what I know.

Other than solidarizing with the lack of games I'm not supposed to care about the European market, though, as we in Brazil (luckily) don't have an own standard so we are included in the American region by default, which is a big advantage. With the advent of Blu-Ray all the major media releases are being translated to Portuguese as standard which is a huge improvement since before we only had the option of English and Spanish. The problem is that in Brazil the minimum wage is something like $300 in US currency and a game costs around $70, so it's impracticable to buy too many games. I'm still waiting to buy MK7 and OoT 3D because of this, and there are more 3DS games I want, but I can't go on a spree because it would break me.

So in a nutshell, every place apart from USA and Japan have their problems. We get the games but we can't buy them, you can buy the games but you don't get them. And region locks are a *****.

I'm flattered that you mentioned Portuguese language, though. Never thought we Portuguese speakers were too relevant.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

Please give Boomburst to Pidgeot, GF!!!
Old September 29th, 2013 (04:44 AM).
MKGirlism

Actually, when submitting a game to Nintendo of America, we must set the price in the USA, Canada, Mexico, and Brazil only, so you're not really an 'own standard' Region, in terms of Nintendo.
Old September 29th, 2013 (11:35 PM).
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

I'm glad they acknowledge our market. But our prices are too expensive!

Old October 24th, 2013 (03:10 PM).
Zoro
hi
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Zoro
The only thing that sucks about buying games in Europe and Australia is that the price for games is extremely overpriced. I feel sorry for you guys.
Old October 25th, 2013 (01:05 AM).
MKGirlism

That's what I already explained.
However, if you think games in West-Europe are overpriced, then you never were in East-Europe.
Although they're still in a cheaper position than Australia, or even New-Zealand.
Old October 25th, 2013 (06:14 AM).
Went
Team Magma Grunt

Send a message via Skype™ to Went
We also have to understand that European prices include VAT, something American ones don't (because there isn't a federal equivalent), meaning actual prices can be higher in some States. Although well, the average VAT in Europe is close to 20-something % while the average US sales tax is about 7%. But if you take the taxes out of European prices, the difference is much smaller than it seems at a first glance.
Old October 25th, 2013 (08:26 AM).
MKGirlism

Not really.
Ireland has 15% VAT, Germany has 19% VAT, and Netherlands has 21% VAT.
Game prices in all 3 countries are equally € 40,- for, let's say, Pokémon X.
Old October 25th, 2013 (11:24 AM).
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher

Nature: Modest
I mean, not that I can counter the high price issue, but doesn't Europe get more exclusive consoles and a wayyy better Club Nintendo selection?
Old October 25th, 2013 (12:00 PM).
Spinosaurus

Quote originally posted by DavidtheDeadPhilosopher:
I mean, not that I can counter the high price issue, but doesn't Europe get more exclusive consoles and a wayyy better Club Nintendo selection?
This I can confirm to not be the case.
Old October 25th, 2013 (01:44 PM).
MKGirlism

Quote originally posted by DavidtheDeadPhilosopher:
Wait, we have Consoles that don't exist in any other Regions?
Wow, I didn't know that...Good to know...
Old October 25th, 2013 (02:12 PM).
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Quote originally posted by Bruce Banner:
The only thing that sucks about buying games in Europe and Australia is that the price for games is extremely overpriced. I feel sorry for you guys.
Europe, overpriced? Europe is chip change compared to Brazil. Here the games are simply unobtainable to a lot of people.

Old October 25th, 2013 (03:47 PM).
Went
Team Magma Grunt

Send a message via Skype™ to Went
Not really.
Ireland has 15% VAT, Germany has 19% VAT, and Netherlands has 21% VAT.
Game prices in all 3 countries are equally € 40,- for, let's say, Pokémon X.
So Nintendo gets more money from Irish games and less from Hungarian ones (27%). The thing is, 21 European countries can be found in a VAT bracket of 20-23%, and the European custom is including it in the prices, so that's what they do, so that's why European prices seem higher. Average US sales tax is much lower and the custom is not including it in the prices, so that's why they seem cheaper (and, indeed, are- but not in such a large proportion). In the end, we are comparing after-taxes prices (EU) to tax-free ones (US), so the comparison is not strictly fair.

It's true that some European countries have smaller VAT rates, as you mentioned (and some have fairly larger ones too, such as Sweden, Norway or Iceland -25%- or the aforementioned Hungary), but, talking averages, the difference in before-taxes prices across the pond is not that different.
Old October 26th, 2013 (08:14 AM).
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher

Nature: Modest
Wait, we have Consoles that don't exist in any other Regions?
Wow, I didn't know that...Good to know...

Sorry, I meant to say console designs, for example

For 3DS XL alone Europe has received 3 additional base color models (Pink, White, and Silver/Gray)

For Special Editions you had the Fire Emblem XL, and have plans to see The Year of Luigi XL and The Link Between Worlds XL which (as far as I know so, and may yet still change) have not been announced for American release.

As for Club Nintendo, Europe has both a larger selection of choices and (imo) cooler choices compared to what America gets. Of course, I have no idea how the star system works in comparison to the coins system, so maybe it's just not worth accumulating the points?
Old October 26th, 2013 (11:43 AM).
MKGirlism

Well, Club Nintendo only works in a few countries in Europe, and sometimes, they differ in every country.
Here in The Netherlands, we have a pretty decent Club Nintendo thingy, but only since recently (in fact, we only had Wallpapers, Screen Savers, and Keychains nobody cared about, until recently).
Meanwhile, in East-Europe, North-Europe, and parts of South-Europe, Club Nintendo doesn't exist at all, and their distributors even throw away all Club Nintendo Cards, before they ship them to stores.

Also, 100 Stars = € 1,-, unless you buy Nintendo Points (for DSi Shop and Wii Shopping Channel only), you'll get 100 Points for every 400 Stars, which was pretty much ********, especially because you only get 250 Stars for every Retail game you buy.
So basically, you buy a game for € 50,-, get € 2,50 in return, and you still can't get any Nintendo Points.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links