Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Old October 27th, 2013 (12:02 PM).
matt0044

You know what I mean. That voice in the back of your head that makes you doubt yourself and your writing because "nobody will like it" making you afraid of being torn apart for it. Have you ever had that? And how do/can you over come it?

I ask this because I write to entertain people and knowing that I'm not entertaining then but rather displeasing them isn't a comforting thought. No matter how much I tell myself to not worry, I still feel scared deep down for not writing anything "amaing" or "groundbreaking" even if that shouldn't matter (not that I'm accusing anyone of that here, just my own irrational fears). When I write, it feels like that voice is holding me back.

Thoughts?
Pokemon: The Black & White Adventure: 14 year old Hilda is a Pokemon Trainer with a secret: she can talk to Pokemon. After setting off into Unova with her starter, she gets involved in the affairs of Team Plasma and becomes acquainted with N, a mysterious guy her age with the exact same abilities as her. While enjoying her life, a tangled web of mystery is weaved around her and the reveal may shock her beyond belief.

Join the adventure by clicking the link above. Read & Review.
Old October 27th, 2013 (12:48 PM).
Nolafus
The Sentinel's Sorrow

Nature: Calm
I started having this when I first started writing. After my first fanfiction was posted, I had to step away from the computer and go do something else for the rest of the day because I was so nervous about other people reading it. I actually didn't check if I got any replies until the next morning. I think my main concern was that someone was going to say that it sucked.

Now, I don't really have that voice anymore. I know that if people dodn't find it interesting, they won't be bothered to comment and I shouldn't even worry about it. After my first couple positive reviews, I realized that this might be something I could actually do, and the voice gradually started to go away. Now, I post chapters almost without a second thought. I still worry whether or not people will find it entertaining, but it's more of a curious "I have to find out" worry instead of a petrifying fear.

I imagine the only thing that would make me worry would be starting a new story altogether and me worrying over whether it's a good idea. But, that's still a long way off.
Old October 27th, 2013 (01:53 PM).
Cutlerine
Gone. May or may not return.

Hm. Interesting question: I'm not sure I get that when posting my work online. I used to get quite nervous about showing my work to people in person, but I never felt nervous about posting it online; maybe it's because I can't see the other person's face when they're reading it. Now I don't get nervous in either situation unless I'm giving my work to the judge of a writing contest or something like that - someone who I know has excellent critical abilities and who, therefore, I desperately want to make a good impression on.

For information about A Grand Day Out, a bizarre short story in video game form, click here.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links