Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 24th, 2013 (12:40 AM). Edited October 24th, 2013 by pokemasta92.
pokemasta92
3rd Gen. Enthusiast

Nature: Naughty
Quote originally posted by BlahISuck:
Laws don't enforce people drinking in moderation though.
I know they don't and that's why I said in my post that "I've read some posts talking about how you can just drink in moderation, but there is no way to enforce that." Then I said that laws are designed to prevent such things, meaning that is the intention of laws, but it doesn't mean it works all of the time. It is a deterrent to underage drinking.

Quote originally posted by countryemo:
Honestly I stand firm with the 21 age, just because it does seem right. Smoking should be up there too. And weed shouldn't be legal at all.

But I think if someone is 18, I think they should be allowed to drink light alcoholic drinks, well more heavier stuff you have to be 21 to get/buy. But theres no way to properly enforce anything.
The younger the people are, they make worse decisions and don't know their limits, they could say only 1 drink then it ends up 20. I though it was legal for young people to drink if they were with their parents and they allowed it? Just get nice with your parents. I've been offered many times, but I don't drink.
I'm not sure about other places, but here in Wisconsin, minors can be served alcohol at the discretion of the bartender if they are accompanied by at least one legal guardian that is at least 21 years old.
I don't use "uber" Pokémon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Old October 24th, 2013 (08:42 AM).
goldengyarados

Nature: Lax
Where I live pretty much everyone drank by the time they were 16, although not really frequently or anything, we just could because alcohol was easy to come by even though the legal age is 18 here. A lot of my friends went pretty nuts with the alcohol at the time, you know, passing out and vomiting ect (although not me because I was somewhat more sensible) but honestly, now that we're all 18 we've been through that all and we drink pretty damn responsibly I think. My point is that most people do not remain as irresponsible drinkers for a great deal of time, which is why I think the drinking age should in fact be 16/17. How can people learn to have responsibility without the freedom?
Old October 28th, 2013 (05:53 PM).
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Between those two, 21.

Where I am, the age is 19... but I didn't drink until I was 21 anyway
Old October 29th, 2013 (03:37 AM).
Hackbird64

I'm not convinced it entirely matters. Kids will always want to drink it, if they're not allowed, and when you let them drink it, well, they'll drink it! In some countries, the law is very lax. We went to Germany on a school trip, and saw a group of kids just go into a pub and buy a beer. The pub didn't ask questions, or for ID, just gave them the beer. The legal drinking age in Germany is meant to be 16, and they were about 13. In some countries, the legal drinking age is just useless.

Old October 29th, 2013 (04:24 AM).
MKGirlism
3DS and Wii U Game Developer

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to MKGirlism
Germany actually has a minimum drinking age, depending on amount of Alcohol there is in specific kind of drink.
In my opinion, it's useless, because a glass of Beer, which has 4% Alcohol, is much bigger than a glass of Ouzo, which has 40% Alcohol.
Old November 14th, 2013 (12:36 PM).
Karinmo
☜(ˆ▽ˆ)
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
I say lower it-
Because teens now a days, including myself have been peer pressured into smoking, drinking and other things of that matter.
I regret my decision drinking, but I learned from it, and do regret it. (Believe me, i got punished.)
Lowering it would lower illegal teen drinking and overall stop some teens from making other bad decisions.
Lowering the age would of course higher the consequences, but in good reason.
Lower it i say.
Old November 14th, 2013 (02:58 PM).
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I don't think there should be a flat age where it's suddenly allowed. I think there are better systems than simply saying "it's disallowed until some arbitrary date, then it's suddenly fine" (and that doesn't just apply to alcohol laws). I like the graded approach described in some of the previous posts, personally.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H. L. Mencken, unsourced

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]
Old November 14th, 2013 (03:23 PM).
Iceman3317
Kalos Explorer!

My idea is 18 if they have graduated High School. 21 if they haven't. If you lower the drinking age more people will drink, even though they already do in High School or younger.

I don't like any type of drinking, and I never plan to drink. I am completely against under age smoking and drinking even though I am still friends with people who are underage. I don't let peer pressure get to me and people know when I say know, I mean it.
Old November 14th, 2013 (04:05 PM).
Kanzler
naughty biscotti
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Iceman3317:
My idea is 18 if they have graduated High School. 21 if they haven't. If you lower the drinking age more people will drink, even though they already do in High School or younger.
Ehh people will scream elitism and inequality. Something as "small" as this can be surprisingly political.
#363 Spheal
Supporter Collab January 2015
mod of nothing
paired to Axeliira
Old November 14th, 2013 (11:44 PM).
Limerent
Community Supporter

I think having a legal age of 21 in the U.S is absolutely useless. I don't know much about brain development, but to me the age of 18 really seems like the most accurate time one would be considered part of adulthood. Finished secondary education, usually past puberty (for girls, some guys continue until 21), you should have a mental maturity level to function independently and correctly in society. Basically by then you're big and smart enough to make life decisions for yourself. Of course some young people do not wise up until age 25 and learn through trial and error but we can't stop what I'd consider adults doing stupid things, it's not practical or right to shelter people forever. Our responsibility is mainly to children, to give them a fair chance at life in this world until they're old enough to think rationally about performing risky activities.

21 for me is a little overkill, it's mollycoddling adults past the necessary years, and just irks a lot of people in the 18-21 year bracket who essentially have their rights withheld from them for three years more than what's needed.

Basically this comes down to at what age you'd consider a human being to be an adult, I'm biased because the society I was raised in says 18 but it does seem like a nice median age as to peoples development, up for debate though. If anyone has more information on brain development in regards to alcohol use feel free to share that too

As to under-age drinking, of course it happens. I think nowadays that a few children as young as 13-14 are beginning to experiment with alcohol, drugs and sex, and I know that a very, very high percentage of people around me were getting wasted at parties around age 16, if not younger. We're not as sheltered and society isn't as strict as it used to be. That said, I don't feel it's necessary to push the drinking age down any lower than it is at 18. I think that would just create more problems than it would solve, and push the illegal experimentation age down lower, where more harm is caused.

My opinion:
Driving- start supervised learning at 16.
Gambling- 18 or 21, it's not a big deal for me, I don't want to gamble.
Sex- Legally allowed to have sex with any other adult at 18, minors have stages for consent between themselves, depending on the age gap.
Alcohol- 18. Perfect age for me. Anything older is just too conservative and restrictive, anything younger is irresponsible.
Old December 8th, 2013 (12:55 AM).
RimasLT
My beautiful - Mazda 323F <333

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Skype™ to RimasLT
Ok, Lithuania - adulthood starts at 18
USA - adulthood starts at 21 (!?!)

It's nonsense people still drinks alcohol ( stupidies like me or someone of my friends ) . Teenagers too.
I started drinking at the parties when I was 14-15 ( I do not remember exactly) and look now at me - I'm not a dumbass, stupid cowboy from village far away. - I'm just I you know? ( sorry for grammar mistakes) People if they have a limit, they drink responsibly, if not - very very bad memories ( like sex with friend wife - she agreed). Still I want to say - drinking is for 18 year - because you became an adult. That's it. Thanks for reading this

Old December 13th, 2013 (02:28 PM).
Talon
The Pridestalker

Nature: Rash
I'm 15 so I don't have much to add to this, but I'll say what I have.

I think that it should be more around 23 or 24. The brain doesn't stop developing until age 21, but some people are different. I think that this age would cover everyone. There should also be more strict laws on consumption. Not to say that I wouldn't drink a shot or two if I could, but I wouldn't drink a lot. Not at all. I wan't my body to be in shipshape. There needs to be more consequences for DUI, DWI, and MIPs. Not just a fine and loss of license, but more jail time, too.
Just my thoughts.

"Eventually, my blades will find their way into your heart."

Old December 14th, 2013 (12:01 PM).
Alli
kong

Nature: Timid
I think the voting age and drinking age should be swapped, personally. 18 to drink, and 21 to vote. I've never understood why we have to wait for the fun thing, but we can do the responsible adult thing at 18. And besides, being 18 and voting means you can't legally drink to celebrate or drown out your sorrows, depending on how the election went for you.

Or just have them both as 18 or both as 21. It takes responsibility to do both, and to put voting at 18 and drinking at 21 speaks some volumes to me.

I know this topic is about the drinking age, not voting age or swapping them, but when I think of legality ages, I think of these two because they mystify me for reasons already stated.
paired to diddy

Old December 14th, 2013 (01:36 PM).
Negix

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Negix
Personally I'm not one who enjoys drinking that much. But not being able to drink until the age of 21 is fine with me. There's already enough teenagers who are alcoholics by the age of 17-23. If minors were allowed to drink, I guess drinks that contains small amounts of alcohol would be alright. Some may disagree with me but that's the perspective of someone who doesn't enjoy drinking that much.
Old December 27th, 2013 (07:54 AM).
CHARIZ_1995

Where I llive (Belgium) We can drink beer from 16 and drinks with more alcohol (like Whisky) from 18. Altough almost nobody checks your age when buying whisky or something like that. And I think that those age are good. Things that are prohibited are almost always considered as more fun. When it prohibited more teenagers whil try to drink it, then when it is legalAnd as far as it goes with the brain damage thing, I dont tink ore children are dumber then other children in the world So I think the age should be lowered to 18. I mean at 18 you are an adult and you can choose to drink or not.
Old December 27th, 2013 (08:24 AM).
Creme

Nature: Mild
The problem isn't really age, but that most people (young or old) just drink irresponsibly. I've seen plenty of teens who can handle alcohol without doing stupid things, but I can't say the same for a lot of young adults/adults.

It's a lot like the problem with sexual education - people seem to act like it has to be one extreme or the other; either we teach everything, or nothing. They don't realize that you can still teach people to be safe and responsible while also allowing them to indulge. It doesn't just have to be one or the other.

And yes, some people will still screw up no matter how thoroughly you teach them. But letting a few bad apples ruin the bunch isn't fair either.

All in all, I think 18 is a decent age, so long as you actually teach them all about alcohol and everything involved with it beforehand. Having a legal age of any kind doesn't do much if you don't actually make an effort to prepare them for it before they turn that age.

You're not magically going to learn how to be a responsible adult just because of a three year difference. Age does not guarantee wisdom; it just means you're slightly more likely to learn something over a longer period of time.
Old December 27th, 2013 (09:27 AM).
PknTrainerKevo

While I do believe in States' Rights (and the fact that they can stump Federal laws), I also believe in individual Rights. While alcohol CAN be dangerous, it only is if you ALLOW it to be. Use you head for other something then a hat rack. Know your limitations and the consequences of not only intaking too much, but also of your actions. If you plan on drinking, do it somewhere safe. As far as underage (in my case, if you're under 18), it should be allowed, BUT under the watchful eye of a responsible adult and to keep it to a minimum (such as 2 beers max a night, but no more then 6 in a week's period). The reason for prohibition of drugs and alcohol is nothing more then CONTROL over the People. Who's the government to say what you can and connot put into your body? They have no authority over such a claim.
Old December 27th, 2013 (11:53 AM).
LoudSilence
more like uncommon sense

Legality based on some arbitrary number won't really solve any problems. Age doesn't determine maturity, and people set on drinking will find their way to do so.

On a societal level, I think we should stop making alcohol seem like the crux of parties and having fun -- it's not necessary to one's social life but we certainly make it out to be that way. Like sex, you push this enough in the faces of our youth, they're going to want to do it. We need to stop glorifying it.

On a governmental level, I actually think there should be some exam you'd have to pass before you should be allowed to drink. It might sound a little silly, but think about it: alcohol has the same potential of danger as driving or wielding a gun, and we have licenses for those. There ought to be some way to determine responsibility considering how dangerous its effects can be.
Old December 27th, 2013 (12:51 PM).
PknTrainerKevo

Quote originally posted by LoudSilence:
Legality based on some arbitrary number won't really solve any problems. Age doesn't determine maturity, and people set on drinking will find their way to do so.

On a societal level, I think we should stop making alcohol seem like the crux of parties and having fun -- it's not necessary to one's social life but we certainly make it out to be that way. Like sex, you push this enough in the faces of our youth, they're going to want to do it. We need to stop glorifying it.

On a governmental level, I actually think there should be some exam you'd have to pass before you should be allowed to drink. It might sound a little silly, but think about it: alcohol has the same potential of danger as driving or wielding a gun, and we have licenses for those. There ought to be some way to determine responsibility considering how dangerous its effects can be.
While I do agree with you on age not determining maturity, I do believe there should be some limitations if such product can be harmful to a growing brain. With that said, maturity and common sense go hand-in-hand and one should be educated in the things they're involved in whether its alcohol, guns, vehicles or any other machinery. You don't just hop on a bike and start pedaling without knowing how to balance first, do you? No law, no license, no statute, no policy, etc should infringe one the Individual's Rights. Just because there's one idiot doesn't mean the responsible should suffer. (for the record, not calling you an idiot, just making a general statement.)
Old December 28th, 2013 (11:01 AM).
Subsonic
Safe in My Hands

Honestly, I find the debate a bit pointless. We got to live with what we have and it is unlikely the states will change the drinking age. All the states reached consensus with the drinking age to be at 21 is because of FEDERAL GRANTS.

The national government gives money to the states if they meet certain cross-cutting requirements, and having a drinking age of 21 is just one of the many requirements. Sure, the states can change the drinking age to whatever age they wish, however it is unlikely they will change it. States need money and that money has to come from somewhere doesn't it?

Credit: Allstate + Eli Lieb
Old December 28th, 2013 (11:21 AM).
T The Manager
RealTalkRealFlow

Nature: Relaxed
18. If your old enough to serve the military and die overseas then you should be old enough to drink.

My ReverbNation
Old January 14th, 2014 (06:52 PM).
DowntownDumpling

I don't think there should be a minimum age. If young children try it due to the lack of a "forbidden" appeal, they'll generally get sick and never be interested further. (This is more or less what happened to Shaquille O'Neal.)
Old January 15th, 2014 (10:39 AM).
Magikarp From Hell

My country (Belgium, West Europe) is one of the few countries where smoking tobaco and drinking alcohol is allowed at the age of 16. Statistics don't show any specific bad signs. The only difference is that teens in my country will probably have been wasted earlier in their life.

One pro is that we can drive a car at 18, which means you're assumed to know the consequenses of alcohol a bit by then. So you won't get drunk the first time when you're driving.

Alcohol addictions are mostly linked with emotional issues. Allthough I think that most kids/teens drink too much these days, it's mostly a (stupid) phase.

Looking for: Non-Us Tentacool

Old January 15th, 2014 (11:28 AM).
jollyninetails
Emperor of Scandinavia

If you are old enough to drive a car AND Join the army, You are old enough for a propper beer.
In Norway that is 18.

Is eating grass pokemon having a salad?
Old January 15th, 2014 (01:00 PM).
Controversial?
should probably stop now

I've noticed that most of the people who say 18 drink in moderation or have drunk in the past before, whereas those who say 21 have not.

Coincidence?

Sponsored Links