The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 28th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed

Advertise here
What do you think of internet forums or message boards as media of communication? How does it compare to social networking sites like Facebook or Twitter? What are the pitfalls of using this format to communicate? How do you guys get around it, or play with it?

Talk about anything you find relevant to how we roll here. Let's see if we can analyze our own interactions and understand why we talk/act/interact the way we do here. This topic isn't nearly as controversial as its fellows, but it's probably the one thing that unites us all and is therefore valuable for discussion-worthy introspection.

This could be a pretty meta conversation, as we're talking about how we're talking as we're talking: self-reference.

As for me, one thing I've noticed is how posting doesn't occur in real time. As a result you'd imagine that chatting wouldn't be able to take shape here - except for the fact that it does. I think it's fascinating that we frequently refer to how chatting on a forum /isn't/ in real time by phenomenon like 'ninja'ing' and post editing.
Old October 28th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Rezilia

Nature: Sassy
Forums are more lax than chats. They are also more anonymous than social networking - or as I like to call it, social netwerking. >:D

Forums have less consequences. Your identity, being more secret, does not linger onto other sites, for the most part. In Social Networking, your actions affect you IRL - which, they shouldn't. But they do. Sucks, amirite?

Forums also allow for more in-depth conversations and interactions, which help build a person. People grow throughout their time on forums and THROUGH forums. This often isn't the case on chats, and esp. not the case in social networking, which deems to have more criminal repercussions.

Old October 29th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Esper

Social networking seems to focus more on the short and quick responses whereas a forum like this gives more space for a long-winded detailed response. It also feels a little more guided in a forum since most of them have some overall theme or identity even if the discussions that happen aren't all pertinent to that. I guess I'd say forums are more topical and social media is more personal, like a diary or journal that just happens to be seen by other people.

I don't see any inherent pitfalls to one form or other other, just that there has been a lot more time and effort put into making Twitter and Facebook accessible from anything while each forum is still mostly dependent on normal internet access.

deviantart blog pair
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here