The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central
Reload this Page Help Thread General Questions & Answers Thread

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.
Sort Threads: Spinoff Central

View Poll Results: Have you ever found a shiny?
Yes 19 73.08%
No 5 19.23%
Yes, but I lost it! 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 8th, 2013 (10:23 PM).
ModeratorCS

The price of this code would be the same as a physical copy (well, not exactly, but almost!). The code could be used for only one download—once it's been used up, you cannot use it again. You should be able to sell your code, but if you've used it already, then I'm afraid no one is going to buy it. :(

Relevant Advertising!

Old October 10th, 2013 (6:46 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
Alright, thanks!
I ask in case I get it on giveaway lol
Old October 15th, 2013 (6:52 PM).

Hello there! I'm having a troublesome time right now and would like some help.my new pokemon that i caught is a trapinch jolly nature and once i caught i said " let's do some super training right now!" Boom and im training it on 0evs. And i raised it ev to: atk 252,speed 252, and hp 4......yet it can still train for one more ev or so?! I'm confused since this is not my first timr ev training and finding my trapinch has an extra ev. When i try to add more ev on attack and speed it wont allow it as its a its maximum point of training. Thanks in advence! And if this helps it a shiny.
Old October 15th, 2013 (7:23 PM).
Scald Pokémon

Nature: Mild
Welcome to the forum!

After every 4 EVs invested in on a stat it changes. Every Pokemon can have up to 508 EVs so the last 2 EVs are effectively unused. So right now your Trapinch is all set!

You're quite lucky to have a shiny one, let alone one with a great nature.
Old October 19th, 2013 (6:02 AM).

Nature: Hardy
Guys, I need a little help to make a competitive party. I've been reading stuff about ev and am I right to say that I get an EV for every pokèmon I defeat (excluding RL players)?
Old October 19th, 2013 (6:40 AM).
ModeratorCS

I'm not exactly sure if all wild Pokémon make you gain effort values, but most do. :) Beware, though—not all Pokémon give you the same type of EVs. Some give you EVs that raise your Attack stat, some EVs boost your Speed, some give you an increase in Special Defense, etc. etc. If you're planning to raise a specific set of your effort values (your Defense EVs, for example), then make sure that you are battling against the right kind of Pokémon. When you're EV training, one thing that you should do is hold onto a Macho Brace. Macho Brace doubles the amount of EVs that you earn each time you defeat a Pokémon, making the process a whole lot easier. If you like, you may also use vitamin items, such as HP Up, Zinc, Protien, Calcium, etc. They raise your EVs instantly by ten points.
Old October 19th, 2013 (5:39 PM).

Nature: Hardy
Yeah, I've already researched which pokèmons I should fight to get the EV I want. Problem is I do not know if I should fight these pokèmons only and no one else to get the specific EV I need. This being the case...

Next question I have is, let's say I have a level 100 pokèmon and assuming it can still gain EV, can it still get an EV from a level 10 pokèmon?
Old October 22nd, 2013 (9:08 PM).

Hey guys! New to the forum.

Got a question -

I held Bulbasaur from evolving until about level 35.
It's finally a Venusaur and i just realized Venusaur was supposed to have learned Petal Dance at level 32; but since it was still a bulbasaur at the time,

would i be able to go to the move relearner in order to get it to learn Petal Dance?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old October 22nd, 2013 (9:40 PM).
never eat raspberries
Silver Tier

Yes, only the fact that it's Venasaur now matters.
Old October 23rd, 2013 (11:35 AM).
*Turns head* *Bui!"

Nature: Quiet
(Emerald <3)
I heard that the more you run away from wild Pokèmon, the less likely you are you to encounter shinys. Is what I heard correct? Also is it considered breaching copyrights if I was to publicly post a save file on this forum?

Feel free to check out my COMPUTING FORUM. If your interested in a message board general/computing then come give us a hand growing up!
Old October 24th, 2013 (5:59 PM).

I'd interested in getting my Pokémon better trained and also breeding, and I've heard stuff about EV's or IV's related to this. Can someone explain to me what they are what they do and how I can train my Pokémon to get better EV/IV?
Old October 24th, 2013 (8:59 PM).
ModeratorCS

EVs stand for "effort values." They give boost to your Pokémon's stats, helping them become stronger. The only way to gain EVs is by battling against other Pokémon. If you level-up yourself with the help of Rare Candies or other some other method, then you won't be able to receive any effort value at all. d: There are six different kind of effort values, one for each stat—HP, Attack, Defense, Speed, Special Attack, and Special Defense. If you want to gain a specific set of EVs, then you'll be required to beat a certain type of Pokémon. For example, if you want to gain HP EVs, then you'd have to defeat a Pokémon high in health, such as either Chansey or Blissey. And if you want to get your hands on some Speed EVs, then you would have to take down a Pokémon that's quick, like Aerodactyl. :)

IVs are "individual values." Personally, I don't know much things about them, but the only things I do know is that they help determine your Pokémon's shininess, gender, base stats, and type of Hidden Power.
Old October 26th, 2013 (10:54 PM).
weirdguybuizel

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to waveguidebuizel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxing Buizel View Post
(Emerald <3)
I heard that the more you run away from wild Pokèmon, the less likely you are you to encounter shinys. Is what I heard correct? Also is it considered breaching copyrights if I was to publicly post a save file on this forum?
I've never heard anything like this. I don't believe there's any way to reduce chances of encountering shinies. It's always 1/8,192 at least.

I'm not sure about the second question. I think it used to be okay if you did in the past (there was this thing called play, power, pass), though.
Old October 27th, 2013 (11:33 AM).

Hello people.

I just registered for the sole purpose of asking for your advice. Back in the day I played the very first pokemon games -- Yellow,Red,Blue,Etc. I LOVED Silver/Crystal/Gold. Those were my favorites. I loved the new Pokemon.

Then Ruby and the rest came out, and I stopped playing. Wayyyy too many new Pokemon to keep up with, some of the Pokemon designs were just outright lousy and ridiculous -- and I just grew out of it. Nostalgia recently kicked in, and I started playing Soul Silver. Had a blast. Still, game revolves around those first 250-300 first pokemon or so. I want to play one of the newer ones -- new story, new Pokemon, new everything. Gotta get rid of that oldschool attachment.

So this question goes to those with similar background/context. Which one would you guys recommend? I.E., which is the best (in general opinion) to get back into it?
Old October 29th, 2013 (8:04 AM). Edited October 29th, 2013 by molivious.
so much fail...

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1LL View Post
So this question goes to those with similar background/context. Which one would you guys recommend? I.E., which is the best (in general opinion) to get back into it?
Preferrably, the most recent one (X/Y). The benefits you have are as follows:
1) You're up to date with the current generation...
2) Which means you can trade, battle, and do your thing with everyone else in the world.
3) You will also be able to catch tons of pokemon in-game -- even those you probably never knew existed. Of course, that includes the newest pokemon.
4) The current-gen threads are the most active as well; so if you have any troubles understanding one thing or another, many people will be available to help you at a snap of a finger. Although i think it doesn't really matter since they're all still pretty active.
5) All Pokemon games are quite the same. The only difference is the story (and some other features like the World Tournament in Gen V), and you can always get the older ones later on.

The only cons for getting the latest-gen game is that you need both a 3DS and money to buy the game at full price (since buying older games cost less) and if that's a problem for you, you should probably go for Gen V (B/W & B2/W2) since the post-game is better than previous gens imo.

Don't worry about difficulty, either. It has been asked many times, but really, there is no main-series Pokemon game that isn't newbie-friendly. Sure you have to pick up some terms, names and whatnot here and there, but that doesn't really make the game any harder to play. Rest assured, eventually, as you play the game, you will catch on.

Squish, squish, squish. Goes the bug under your foot.
Squish, squish, squish. I'm telling you not to look.
Old October 30th, 2013 (9:28 AM).
Pokémon Breeder

Nature: Quirky
QUESTION

If I leveled up a shiny Nincada to the point where it evolves (lvl 20?) would the Ninjask and Shedinja both be shiny as well, or would just the Ninjask be shiny?

~---------------------------------------------------------------------------~
3DS Friend Code: 4399-0158-9260
(Note: Please PM me if you add me so I know it's a PC member and not a random)
Friend Safari: Ghost Type: Phantump, Lampent, and Golurk
Old October 31st, 2013 (6:24 AM).
Delphox used Mystical Fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiftyj View Post
And is Explorers of Sky better then Gates to Infinity?
Hi Jiftyj, since I own both games, I have to say that I really like the story of PMD Sky better than PMD Gates to Infinity. Sure, PMD Gates to Infinity is a very nice and well-made game with the graphics and sounds, it has everything but.. the story is indeed a bit on the short hand. Although PMD Gates to Infinity had a nice feature of making your own paradise with your partner, there isn't that much left to do in post-game. You can battle a very select group of legendary-boss Pokemon in post-game and obtaining them in your team is impossible unfortunately.. Also the battles (especially with bosses) are a lot easier (I remember thinking while battling as a Pikachu: Whut? Defeated Kyurem with barely any scratches at all O_o?!). A good thing what I also liked was that in PMD Gates to Infinity wild Pokemon suddenly could evolve in battle, but a downside of this feature is that when you are training to level up, a wild evolved Pokemon whipes you and your partner out within seconds O_o waaaayy to over powered, especially when you just started your game.

Like in PMD Sky and the previous series, there are a lot more Pokemon you can choose from and obtain. The story is a lot longer too and also has a large post-game in my opinion. I remember playing PMD Sky the most because of this :3 And I liked the fact that PMD Sky seems a bit "harder" to play than PMD Gates to Infinity.

So, if you prefer a very nice looking, somewhat simple gameplay, but fun game for a short period to kill time, PMD Gates to Infinity is your game. If you are looking for more challenge, longer and harder gameplay and still want to feel the thrill of obtaining almost every Pokemon, when "finally a specific Pokemon wants to join your team", I would say you should choose PMD Sky

Signature and Avatar made by:
© She_Delphox
Currently playing: Pokemon Red (Virtual Console)

Old October 31st, 2013 (6:29 AM). Edited October 31st, 2013 by molivious.
so much fail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilkie View Post
QUESTION

If I leveled up a shiny Nincada to the point where it evolves (lvl 20?) would the Ninjask and Shedinja both be shiny as well, or would just the Ninjask be shiny?
I'm not one who has experienced it personally, but i'm pretty sure both would be shiny. I mean Shedinja counts as Nincada's evolution and it inherits the Nature, and all IVs Nincada originally had -- so that should definitely include the shiny factor. It's basically like a "DNA" copy.

Old October 31st, 2013 (7:05 AM).
who is in control?
Super ModeratorCS

Nature: Timid
They should both be. Otherwise, idk how anyone would ever get a shiny Shedinja. Tempted to RNG a shiny Nincada just to try this now.

goddamn right you should be scared of me
super mod | paired to goku

Old October 31st, 2013 (2:46 PM).
Odin
Gold Tier

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilkie View Post
QUESTION

Yeah, the Shedinja would be shiny, too. I've done this evolution twice before and both times I received a shiny Shedinja. But yeah, like Syd said (huehue), how else would you get a shiny Shedinja?

Old November 2nd, 2013 (2:40 PM).

Whats the logic behind a Pokemon learning a certain move?

For example, i know Gardevoir can learn multiple types of moves because she looks and acts like a spellcaster.

But what i dont get is why Roselia/Roserade can learn Shadow Ball, i dont see any "logic" behind it like i do with Gardevoir for example.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CounterstrikerGS
Old November 2nd, 2013 (3:03 PM).
Nyeh?
Gold Tier

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhadaly View Post
Whats the logic behind a Pokemon learning a certain move?

For example, i know Gardevoir can learn multiple types of moves because she looks and acts like a spellcaster.

But what i dont get is why Roselia/Roserade can learn Shadow Ball, i dont see any "logic" behind it like i do with Gardevoir for example.
Some Pokemon learn moves based on their origins. Greninja, going along with its ninja motif, is able to learn moves such as Smokescreen, Mat Block, Night Slash, Shadow Sneak, Faint Attack, Water Shuriken, Substitute and Double Team by level-up. Before you ask why male Gogoat can learn Milk Drink, this is because male goats can lactate milk in real life.

For other Pokemon, we don't know for certain, like why Fennekin can learn Power-Up Punch despite being an obvious quadruped, Wooper and Gastly being able to use Ice Punch despite lacking arms or Zangoose unable to learn Cut despite obviously having claws to cut with.

Old November 3rd, 2013 (11:12 AM).

I know some people think I'm crazy for even asking. But I don't mean I expect to take people from Smogon on without first spending hours on breeding. But, for online battles and maybe ocassional battling of other members, how important is it if I spend a long time on EV's on movesets?

Pokémon Pearl (Ultimate Leader Challenge - Jasmine)
2/8 Badges
Old November 3rd, 2013 (12:46 PM).
so much fail...

To keep it simple, it's a direct multiplier (1.1x) for a stat. So the bigger number you have on a stat, the higher bonus you receive from the beneficial nature. Sure, you have a decrease (0.9x) on another stat, but usually, you'll aim for a Nature that decreases a stat that is insignificant.

The importance is just as nearly as valuable as IVs, if not more. It may seem like a small increase, but it does build up into a noticeable difference once EVs and IVs are already put into place. Plus, it's pretty easy to get -- which is more of the reason why people would encourage you to make that extra effort.

Old November 3rd, 2013 (12:59 PM).

I wanted to start Pokémon breeding soon but I have no idea what to do!

How can I get the best IV's? Can the offspring have good IV's even if the parent doesn't? What's the best way to get a shiny from breeding?

If anyone has any other helpful tips or information I should know before I start breeding pokemon, please let me know. Thanks!
• Pokémon in my Safari •

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links