Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > The Round Table
Reload this Page Sex education

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

The Round Table Have a seat at the Round Table for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Old October 29th, 2013 (09:19 AM).
Team Unova
Silver Tier

Seems like a lot of people have had some kind of sex ed when they were pretty young, and I remember having some kind of assembly in grade school about where babies come from or something (I was tuned out), but maybe there probably should be a second round of sex ed for kids right before they leave high school. That's the last chance you typically have someone as a captive audience and they're theoretically more mature then than they'd be at the start of high school or earlier. It could help to ingrain somethings more and include more questions and less nervous giggling.
Old October 29th, 2013 (08:24 PM).
Team Sinnoh

Nature: Lax
Honestly, I think the purpose of sex education should be to encourage free and open discussion about sex. Of course, it is very important that the possible consequences of unsafe sex are made clear. I don't really understand why abstinence should be promoted as long as students are taught how to not get pregnant ect. Above all it should be taught that to have sex is a choice, and that we always have the option of saying no.
Old October 29th, 2013 (08:52 PM).
Team Hoenn
Platinum Tier

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by Scarf:
Seems like a lot of people have had some kind of sex ed when they were pretty young, and I remember having some kind of assembly in grade school about where babies come from or something (I was tuned out), but maybe there probably should be a second round of sex ed for kids right before they leave high school. That's the last chance you typically have someone as a captive audience and they're theoretically more mature then than they'd be at the start of high school or earlier. It could help to ingrain somethings more and include more questions and less nervous giggling.
We do that in Australia, a program called Pathways, i'm in my final year and there was a mandatory course on safe sex, smart overseas travel and drug use. I think yes kids are too immature the information being comprehended in younger high school (middle school) years, because I know for a fact some of my peers tried drugs and had sex starting at about age 13-14. So sex ed isn't particularly effective at stopping these things in early years, in early teen years it's probably more effective if parents actually talk to their kids about risks and actively stop them going to risky activities rather than being clueless and gullible.
Old October 30th, 2013 (10:33 AM).
Team Unova
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by O07_eleven:
We do that in Australia, a program called Pathways, i'm in my final year and there was a mandatory course on safe sex, smart overseas travel and drug use. I think yes kids are too immature the information being comprehended in younger high school (middle school) years, because I know for a fact some of my peers tried drugs and had sex starting at about age 13-14. So sex ed isn't particularly effective at stopping these things in early years, in early teen years it's probably more effective if parents actually talk to their kids about risks and actively stop them going to risky activities rather than being clueless and gullible.
Well, I wasn't trying to say I think it's not very effective in earlier years, just that it's probably better to have as much of it as possible so have it at the start and end of high school seems preferable.

Sounds like you have a pretty good system in place if they're willing to talk about lots of "controversial" topics like drug use as well as sex.
Old November 1st, 2013 (04:34 PM).
Banned
Team Kalos

Nature: Sassy
Sex education is important. It's better to teach it. If you don't teach it, then plenty of dopey 13-year-old girls will end up knocked up.
Old November 1st, 2013 (06:38 PM).
Team Kalos
Super ModeratorBSCS

Nature: Adamant
Sex education, namely abstinence, by and large won't stop teenagers/young people from having sex, much in the same way that alcohol awareness programs and anti-teen drinking programs at most colleges don't stop most kids from partying. It's a fact of life. So since you can't stop it, the least you can do is educate kids about the risks involved, and teach them to at least try to be safe in an informative, realistic and mature way.
Old November 1st, 2013 (09:56 PM).
I'M AN ANGRY SCIENTIST!!
Team Johto
Super ModeratorEO

Nature: Jolly
Hum, wasn't the case for my school. Maybe it's only in some schools or a recent thing given I was in high school four years ago now.
Old November 3rd, 2013 (05:13 AM).
Magic Manic
Team Sinnoh

Nature: Quirky
It's really telling that America, one of the last places to use abstinence only education, has the highest teen pregnancy rate of all developed nations IIRC. It's already a fact that abstinence only ed doesn't work and does nothing beyond attach a negative stigma to an important part of life. When kids find out that their programs lie to them, such as the DARE program or by instilling an illusory negative quality in sexuality, it causes a backlash that makes people take more risks, with people assuming that the entire spiel was overblown and worth discarding entirely.
Old November 9th, 2013 (07:09 PM). Edited November 9th, 2013 by zakisrage.
In the trunk on Highway 10
Team Kanto

Nature: Impish
They had something like that at my school.

No matter how much you educate kids about sex, the sad truth is that there will always be some teens who will end up having kids. One of my friends actually got a female classmate pregnant last year and now he has a baby girl to take care of. He admitted that he was too afraid to tell his parents that he and this girl were sexually active. (And at least he tries to care for the baby and even visits her frequently.) That is why I think you should ask your parents about sex - my friend wished that he could have asked his parents.

Unlike some people, I don't think it's right to drag teen parents (gotta include both sexes) through the mud and shame them. (Ironically, I am guilty of dragging teen stoners through the mud. A kid at my school died of an OD a few months ago and I felt no sympathy at all. Then again, the kid was a stuck-up bully.)

I don't see why teaching students about overseas travel is important. Half of my friends have never been outside of Australia.

The problem is a lot of conservative Christians and Muslims don't teach their kids about sex at all. It's ridiculous considering kids will have to know how babies are made. My parents told me when I was 13 because I asked them after hearing guys at my school talking about sex. They told me the truth. Parents who don't teach their kids about sex are ignorant. The Victorian era is over and we can't just explain everything the G-rated way.
Helga: Look Phoebe, you gotta snap out of this. I mean, criminy, it's not like it's the first time you ever farted. Heck, when you sleep over you do it all the time. You rip 'em all night long, they stink to high heaven. It's all I can do to keep from passing out.
Phoebe: Just get out.
- Hey Arnold
Old November 19th, 2013 (05:27 PM).
Wild Duck Pokémon
Team Kalos
Gold TierCS

Nature: Impish
I honestly believe that sex education should be taught to everyone because there will be those among us that make foolish decisions regardless of the knowledge we know, but at least they will be able to make an educated decision as opposed to just doing something based on their gut. I wish I knew the things that the internet provided me back a few years ago, even though I'm still a virgin. Some of it is icky but I feel more comfortable with myself, and I know what's normal and what isn't.
Old November 20th, 2013 (10:44 AM).
more like uncommon sense
Team Johto

My viewpoint is probably going to be pretty unpopular, but here it goes.

I think society's concept of sex is convoluted and destructive. In its essence, sex is a biological function that results in children. That is all it is "meant" for; pleasure is a side-effect that encourages the instinct to procreate. We've instead reversed things and defined sex as a fun act instead, one where physical enjoyment is the endgame and a resulting child is the undesirable "side-effect" to be circumvented. This concept of sex and sexuality has allowed it to become a commodity to be advertised, sold, and exploited on a grand scale.

Now imagine that you have a child on the cusp of puberty, hormones already difficult to manage on their own, being bombarded with imagery of this fun social act that everyone is taking part in that would satisfy the very desires their coming of age has awoken. Sex sells and our youth buy into it with a fervor, because what else can they do when it's always shoved in their faces? It becomes the goal of many relationships and interactions in the public sphere, even going as far as defining social standing (he's a "player", she's a "gardening tool" [you know what I mean haha], etc. etc.).

The rampant resultant promiscuity of this hypersexualised society has lead to all sorts of problems that would not be an issue if sex were viewed in its initial sense: an act that fulfills a biological role. Sexual disease, teen pregnancy, child support issues, etc...these are plaguing youth that have no idea how to handle any of it and our solution? Let's just teach them how to be safe and how to deal with problems as they happen.

It boggles me how backwards this approach is. You've cut someone and then offer them a band-aid, why cut them in the first place? It's like putting a can of gasoline right next to fire and praying it doesn't spontaneously combust.

Sex should not be trivialised to a popular pastime. It should not be a commodity. Sex is an act for people ready and willing to deal with the ultimate result should they choose to want it. We don't trust children with alcohol until a certain age, they should not be trusted with sex either. If that seems like an unfair stance, it's only because we've made sex into something fun and cool that someone can be deprived of rather than a process that fulfills an instinct most teens are not ready to think about.

If any "sex education" needs to take place, it's simply defining it as one of our bodily functions. This in conjunction with de-sexualising our society would render all of the problems surrounding youth and sex a non-issue.
Old November 20th, 2013 (02:35 PM).
Team Unova
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by LoudSilence:
The rampant resultant promiscuity of this hypersexualised society has lead to all sorts of problems that would not be an issue if sex were viewed in its initial sense: an act that fulfills a biological role. Sexual disease, teen pregnancy, child support issues, etc...these are plaguing youth that have no idea how to handle any of it and our solution? Let's just teach them how to be safe and how to deal with problems as they happen.
Do you think that sub-Saharan Africa is hypersexualized? That area has some of the highest percentages of teen pregnancy and herpes in the world. Herpes is pretty low in Europe as far as I'm aware. I think there are a lot more factors that go into the "problems" that come with young people having sex.
Old November 20th, 2013 (02:41 PM).
naughty biscotti
Team Johto
Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
I think it's clear from the context of his post and the thread as a whole that he's referring to, if not American society, Western society.
Old November 20th, 2013 (03:12 PM).
Turn the tables
Team Kanto

I fell asleep during the "field trip" we had for this stuff. So I never knew anything about it. Yet I'm still pretty certain I'm going to be abstinent forever. You don't need to know about it to know its wrong (by wrong I mean at a young age), as long as you have some form of morals and self control.
Old November 20th, 2013 (03:42 PM).
Team Unova
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by BlahISuck:
I think it's clear from the context of his post and the thread as a whole that he's referring to, if not American society, Western society.
I know. I was just saying that the problems (e.g., teen pregnancy) that come from a "hypersexualized" culture (i.e., Western society) don't necessarily come just from being hypersexualized and that there may be other factors at work and that "hypersexualizing" (i.e., allowing for sex without the intent of having children) may be unfairly blamed as a cause of the problems.
Old November 20th, 2013 (03:48 PM).
naughty biscotti
Team Johto
Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
That being said, the teen pregnancy rate in the United States, when compared to other Western countries, is incredibly high.
Old November 20th, 2013 (05:00 PM). Edited November 20th, 2013 by LoudSilence.
more like uncommon sense
Team Johto

I know. I was just saying that the problems (e.g., teen pregnancy) that come from a "hypersexualized" culture (i.e., Western society) don't necessarily come just from being hypersexualized and that there may be other factors at work and that "hypersexualizing" (i.e., allowing for sex without the intent of having children) may be unfairly blamed as a cause of the problems.
It's not so much that I think sex for the sake of is the issue. I think having sex pervade almost every form of media and pop culture our youth hungrily consumes is the issue.

That is what I mean by hypersexualisation. Sex is everywhere, you couldn't avoid it even if you wanted to. We've glorified the act so much to the point where people celebrate sexual "conquests" or are embarrassed about being virgins at a certain age...I think we can agree that such mentalities are damaging to the society.
Old November 20th, 2013 (10:27 PM).
Furude
Team Sinnoh
ModeratorEO

Nature: Mild
Kinda have to agree with BIS and LoudSilence... although I think better education could partially remedy that problem.

My main issue with Sex Education in general, is that it doesn't matter where you get it from there is always some sort of bias or manipulation that is trying to force a specific view on you. People need to be educated about every aspect of sexuality equally, they need to be made aware that social stigmas are indeed social stigmas - whether they come from peers of from authority figures (to help them create their own beliefs).

Sex education needs to be completely free from social beliefs, societal beliefs, taboos, religious persecution and personal bias. It needs to just be about the information, all of it.

Useful information encompassing all factors> abstinence-based and safety-based sex education.

Anyway, there's my two cents.

"All right. I'll play a game with this endless June."

Roleplay Theatre | The Underground |
Pairs
Lokiepie, Chalifoux & Crunch Punch
|
Blog
The Pie Bakery

Old November 21st, 2013 (08:25 AM).
Team Unova
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by BlahISuck:
That being said, the teen pregnancy rate in the United States, when compared to other Western countries, is incredibly high.
No doubt. Personally I chalk that up to lack of education about sex and lack of services mixed with a large Puritanical streak that runs through the country, a.k.a., young girl doesn't know how to use protection properly, gets pregnant, gets shamed for it, feels obligated to raise a child, etc.

Quote originally posted by LoudSilence:
It's not so much that I think sex for the sake of is the issue. I think having sex pervade almost every form of media and pop culture our youth hungrily consumes is the issue.

That is what I mean by hypersexualisation. Sex is everywhere, you couldn't avoid it even if you wanted to. We've glorified the act so much to the point where people celebrate sexual "conquests" or are embarrassed about being virgins at a certain age...I think we can agree that such mentalities are damaging to the society.
I'd agree with you in part. I think there are some bad messages about sex in the media, particularly ones to do with body issues and attention - in other words the message that you have to be skinny and reveal a lot of skin to be worth something. I think there can be positive messages about sex just that we don't have as many of them.
Old November 21st, 2013 (10:53 AM).
I Am No One Else
Team Kalos

Nature: Calm
No doubt. Personally I chalk that up to lack of education about sex and lack of services mixed with a large Puritanical streak that runs through the country, a.k.a., young girl doesn't know how to use protection properly, gets pregnant, gets shamed for it, feels obligated to raise a child, etc.

I'd agree with you in part. I think there are some bad messages about sex in the media, particularly ones to do with body issues and attention - in other words the message that you have to be skinny and reveal a lot of skin to be worth something. I think there can be positive messages about sex just that we don't have as many of them.
Fun fact: The highest rates of teen pregnancy in the US are in the school districts with "abstinence only" education, or no sex education at all.

Funny, huh?

Join me on IRC, synirc.net #PokemonTactics, for friendly discussions on tactics and strategies.
Old November 22nd, 2013 (08:19 AM).
more like uncommon sense
Team Johto

I think there are some bad messages about sex in the media, particularly ones to do with body issues and attention - in other words the message that you have to be skinny and reveal a lot of skin to be worth something. I think there can be positive messages about sex just that we don't have as many of them.
Body image is a big deal, yeah. Pressures to attain a certain societal standard are stupid and are unfortunately perpetuated by the idea I was referring to before: that sex is just the thing to do. You are weird if you don't have sex or have not had it by a certain age. Abstinence without religious connotations is equated to deprivation or being "prudish".

Bit of an anecdote here, but there was a poll held in one of my college classes about sexual activity and what motivated one to engage in that. A vast majority of the class (specifically the girls) were only mildly interested or flat out not interested in sex in itself but assumed that it was what everyone did and would have felt weird not having taken part in it. A huge chunk of these people also did it because their boyfriends wanted to and thought it would be "special" to share that.

I think this cultural expectation is a problem. Sex shouldn't be "special" like that or something that we are judged by. Why should not knowing about sex before you are ready to have kids make someone "sheltered"? Why should movies like 40 Year Old Virgin even exist (funny movie btw)? I'm sure many people would consider what I'm saying and be incredulous, and that incredulity is what I think is wrong.

Education is just patchwork IMO and doesn't address the root cause.

Quote originally posted by KittenKoder:
Fun fact: The highest rates of teen pregnancy in the US are in the school districts with "abstinence only" education, or no sex education at all.

Funny, huh?
Put a roast turkey (thanksgiving hnggg) on the high shelf that everyone is gorging on and tell your child they can't touch it for years...can't expect any other outcome, honestly.

That's the deprivation I'm getting at. That roast turkey should not be put on the shelf. It should instead be in front of me on my table because I'm really hungry.

...umm I was going somewhere with this. I, uh, just really want turkey right now
Old November 22nd, 2013 (10:57 AM).
Fursuiter
Team Kalos

Nature: Timid
<Jay finishes his turkey sandwich.>

That hit the spot!

The thing with trying to keep knowledge of sex away from children is that it's almost impossible. We are exposed to it from the very earliest days of our lives. We know watching our parents that the kiss they give each other is a whole lot different from the kiss they give us. It sets in a curiosity in children's minds. Why do our parents do that? And then, invariably when children play "house" as all children do at one time or another, they will do their best to emulate their parents.

The sole reason I think educating children in age appropriate ways about sex and sexuality, is that by giving children answers to these questions, we give them the knowledge they need to make the right decisions for themselves when they feel they are ready. The purpose of sex education is not to create sexual creatures (we're already sexual creatures from birth) but to hopefully encourage children to make responsible choices for themselves. And we're seeing this happening. Studies are showing that teens are engaging in sex a lot later in their lives than in those places that either do not have sex education, or teach abstinence only.

If I were to have a child, I would want my child to have all the best information possible for him or her. And I would also want them to feel comfortable enough coming to me with any questions and concerns that they might have.

1693-4093-6753

"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
Old November 23rd, 2013 (08:12 AM).
more like uncommon sense
Team Johto

Quote originally posted by Jay_37040:
<Jay finishes his turkey sandwich.>

That hit the spot!

Arghhhhh dude I hate you ;_;
Old November 23rd, 2013 (04:51 PM).
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Team Kanto
Gold Tier

Nature: Lax
Education is about educating, not about pushing an agenda. If anything, the conflict you describe should be part of the education. Let kids know that there is an ongoing debate about the role of sex education and engage them in discussion about it.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H. L. Mencken, unsourced

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links