The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For non-Pokémon related game discussion. This area is for talking about computer and video gaming, from Nintendo to Sony, Microsoft to Sega, PC to Commodore.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 17th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Dragon
infinite

Nature: Modest
So, what video game do you think had the most appealing graphics?

I, myself really enjoy the graphics from Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, which I personally thought they did a good job with the cell shading. I also used to love the graphics in Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat, but, I didn't really play it too much, since it... wasn't really one of the funner games that I've played, but, oh well.
Old October 17th, 2013, 06:33 AM
Libra
I ain't insane, the world is just too serious...

Nature: Quirky
Far Cry 3, it looked so amazing, each time i climed up one of those radio towers i stood on there for a while looking at the island and it just has such amazing graphics

Paired to Supernova
Mod of Video Games
Sig by Aquacorde
StarCraft II record
VM/PM me
Old October 17th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Crysis when it came out was a visual orgaaaasm :D I really enjoyed the cel-shading and physics in Borderlands 2, they were fun. I really like Company of Heroes for their level of detail on an RTS game, which is rare.
Old October 17th, 2013, 04:14 PM
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Nature: Serious
Naruto Ninja Storm's graphics are amazing that during still frames I have a hard time differentiating between an anime screenshot or just a screen shot of the game.
Old October 17th, 2013, 11:20 PM
skyluigi2
L-let's-a go...!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to skyluigi2
I obviously haven't played it yet, but Super Mario 3D World looks incredible. For 3DS games, Etrian Odyssey IV just blew me away, and of course I think Luigi's Mansion 2 looks awesome.

☆ 3DS FC: 5069-3912-3062
☆ Let me know if you've added me!

☆ Next most anticipated game(s): Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, Bayonetta 2, Fantasy Life, Hyrule Warriors and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

☆ Currently playing: Pokémon Platinum and Animal Crossing: New Leaf

☆ I'm known on Twitter as skyluigi2 as well

skyluigi2
Old October 18th, 2013, 03:40 AM
Airhead
Banned

Easy, Fire Emblem: Awakening (cut-scene of course) and Eternal Sonata graphics. :3 I think realistic graphics get outdated waaaaay easier then something toon-y, like Skyward Sword. So Battlefield III will be outdated by tomorrow. xD
Old October 18th, 2013, 05:03 AM
Nauje
Hmm.
Community Supporter

Borderlands 2's style is just so good. I just love it so much. The Wolf Among Us also has a similar style and that looks great as well.

Realism-wise I think either TLoU or B:TS has some of the best realistic graphics I've ever seen, though I haven't seen Crysis 3 or Battlefield on it's full glory so I don't really know.
Old October 18th, 2013, 05:16 AM
Orifiel
Priestess

Nature: Lonely
Well, Silent Hill Revolution is on my list. I can't explain it though.
Old October 18th, 2013, 05:22 AM
Arma
Actually not mad at all
Community Supporter Tier 2

While I haven't played the games, Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 along with the Uncharted series looks really amazing to me. Still, the best looking game, in my opinion, is The Last of Us.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 03:53 PM
acatfrommars
PC fanatic!
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to acatfrommars
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
Crysis when it came out was a visual orgaaaasm :D I really enjoyed the cel-shading and physics in Borderlands 2, they were fun. I really like Company of Heroes for their level of detail on an RTS game, which is rare.
Oh yes, the last Crysis I played was Crysis 2. The graphics in that game were amazing!I'd also say that Bioshock Infinite, Skyward Sword, the new Splinter Cell Blackilist and the new Assassin's Creed IV had great graphics as well.

Sisters | Brother | Pairs
GOALS
Old November 3rd, 2013, 11:34 PM
Endless
& heading that way

Nature: Careful
Send a message via AIM to Endless
I loved the graphics quality of Rayman Legends. Its predecessor had great graphics, but the quality of this game was just... phenomenal. No other words can explain it. xD Every time I would play that game, it always felt as if the characters were going to pop right out of the television screen. I appreciate the guys over at Ubisoft for putting this much effort into it. Not only did this game have good graphics, but it was also able to take full advantage of the Wii U Gamepad, which I really liked! If you didn't want to play Rayman Legends on TV, you could've easily switched to the pad, and use it as some sort of a portable TV. I've finished this game twice already. Now, I'm playing it for the third time. Rayman Legends is, in my opinion, one of the greatest platformer games to be ever released.

I also liked the art style of Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. It was bright, colorful, and quite original. Due to this, Skyward Sword is on the list of my top three favorite Zelda games. (: If you're wondering what the others are, they're Ocarina of Time and Phantom Hourglass. Those two aren't my favorite because of their graphics, though; their graphics quality weren't bad or anything, but I like them more due to their storyline.
Old November 4th, 2013, 12:45 AM
Homura Akemi
time is f o r e v e r~

Nature: Quiet
I absolutely loved Crysis 3 and Battlefield 3's graphics..I always found myself mesmerised by the looks of both games. Cryengine 3/Frostbite 2 engines seem to be the very best for graphics at the moment, and I haven't really played the actual release of Battlefield 4, so I wouldn't know.

Grand Theft Auto V also got thumbs up for me, as the world looks like what you would see just outside your window. It captures the feel of the real world so beautifully, and gives quite the realistic experience (that said, the game itself isn't really realistic).

"2014 sometimes leads to even better April Fools' jokes."
VM | PM | Gensokyo | Previously | Theme | Fan Club | | | | | |
Old November 4th, 2013, 12:45 AM
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher

Trine 2: It is just so so pretty, The details in the backgrounds are just brilliant. The way the characters interact to elements is pretty nifty too.
Old November 4th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Spinosaurus
Your favorite Pokemon sucks.

I consider Rayman Origins to be the most visually appealing game of all time. The amount of detail and charming art style really sets it apart from other games. The fact this is hand-drawn makes it even more exceptional. Rayman Legends is very good looking as well, but I'm not a fan of the shading that makes the sprites looks pseudo 3D. This cartoony art style is the best.

Honorable mentions:
Spoiler:

Yeah I really love 2D, so I'll post some 3D screenies:
Spoiler:

Unless 3D games that go for a 2D/cartoony artstyle don't count either? :V
Old November 4th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter

I have to agree with ShadowE and say Far Cry 3. If you manged to get to a high point and view your surroundings, it's a beautiful view. Also, when you're pondering around the map, you can admire the detail that there is around you. Ubisoft do really like to spend time on graphics, and not just on Far Cry.
Old November 6th, 2013, 07:21 PM
awolffromspace
whatever happens, happens

Pure graphics? Games like the Crysis series, the Metro series, the Battlefield series, heavily modded Skyrim, etc. are some best games out there for the best graphical fidelity. Also, this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg8hDlolN3U) is really impressive.

But for appealing art styles, stuff like Wind Waker (or really any Zelda game), Okami, Journey, Bastion, The World Ends with You, and Professor Layton are all some favorites that come to mind. I'm also a sucker for the general appearance of SNES games like Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, etc.
Old November 6th, 2013, 07:38 PM
pompayyy
Forever and Ever

I'm in a two way tie between Okami (self explanatory) and Kirby's Return To Dreamland. I love the backgrounds (especially the space ones), it's the one of the most visually pleasing things ever to me. Also who cares about HD, it still kicks major butt.

Publius Enigma

Old November 7th, 2013, 03:26 AM
Thief Noctis
Thief of the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post

I consider Rayman Origins to be the most visually appealing game of all time. The amount of detail and charming art style really sets it apart from other games. The fact this is hand-drawn makes it even more exceptional. Rayman Legends is very good looking as well, but I'm not a fan of the shading that makes the sprites looks pseudo 3D. This cartoony art style is the best.

Honorable mentions:
Spoiler:

Yeah I really love 2D, so I'll post some 3D screenies:
Spoiler:

Unless 3D games that go for a 2D/cartoony artstyle don't count either? :V
Sly Cooper & LoZ <3

Anyway, I'd have to say Journey (PS3). That game was visually stunning no matter where you were in it.
Aside from that, Heavy Rain. Really loved the noir settings and the amount of detail in faces/movements etc. Brilliant game. Hope to play its successor (Beyond: Two Souls) soon.

http://winternoctis.webs.com/ (XY Hatchery & Safari)

(^ drawn by Sonatron)
Name: Laura — Age: 17
FC: 0920-0357-3706 — Shoot me a PM if you add me.
Old November 10th, 2013, 11:10 PM
Gigginold

I share some of the opinions here. I think graphics that go for great artistic direction as opposed to trying to be as realistic as possible have a much longer lasting appeal. That's why games like WoW don't look nearly as dated as other games from the era: it's the beauty of the design.

I especially love The Wind Waker, and I feel it's a great example of this. It's a game that didn't need a graphical update at all, but benefits so much from it. Wind Waker stands the test of time really well, and WWHD is all the better for it.

Yoshi's Island is another game that I feel holds up, probably the best out of any game on the SNES in terms of visual appeal. A lot of SNES games look like old 16-bit games at worst or weird retroesque indie games at best (which is almost weird to say).

A handful of games I haven't seen mentioned here yet are Okami and Viva Pinata! Despite how old they look, they still hold up really well!
Old November 11th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Homura Akemi
time is f o r e v e r~

Just extending on my last post or something:
Spoiler:

I just love Sonic Generations and its graphics - they look absolutely stunning, and never fail to make me smile.
Spoiler:

Need for Speed: Most Wanted's terrain and flooring (if that's what you can call it, haha) look beautiful, and the world around you flies by as you race along, sometimes I want to stop racing and take a look :]

"2014 sometimes leads to even better April Fools' jokes."
VM | PM | Gensokyo | Previously | Theme | Fan Club | | | | | |
Old November 11th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Arcturus.
Chews nails and spits napalm

I thought the graphics in Splinter Cell: Blacklist were very appealing, but a game with a more cartoon-y art style, I would have to say Dust: an Elysian Tail.
CSS|VM/PM|THEME
Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:48 AM
Libra
I ain't insane, the world is just too serious...

GTA V also has some quite impressive graphics compared to GTA IV.
And Borderlands 2 looks good too, even though people might disagree with the way it looks, still it looks pretty amazing.

Paired to Supernova
Mod of Video Games
Sig by Aquacorde
StarCraft II record
VM/PM me
Old November 22nd, 2013, 10:54 AM
Juno
daring, nerve & chivalry

These have all been mentioned already, but by far the best looking games I've played lately are The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls.

I play Skyrim vanilla, but I've seen some pretty impressive mods (that I can't run on my laptop).

Sponsored Links