The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.

Old November 6th, 2013, 07:38 AM
colecates97

I was playing on Pokemon Y and realized the move/tm Sweet Scent activated Horde battles, which have 5 Pokemon in the battle, wouldn't this up your chances of finding a shiny?

you can use the move over and over to keep activating the hordes

Last edited by colecates97; November 6th, 2013 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old November 6th, 2013, 07:40 AM
She_Delphox
Delphox used Mystical Fire!

Nature: Modest
In fact, i guess it kinda does, since you can encounter 5 Pokemon at a time. That would speed up the process a little bit more compared to encounter only one Pokemon at a time. I even read on several forums that some people using Sweet Scent to encounter horde battles to "increase" the encounter of getting a wild Shiny Pokemon to appear (and that worked for quite a lot of people, but you still need some luck though)
Currently playing: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire

Old November 6th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Pilkie
Pokémon Breeder

Nature: Quirky
Yes this does. People have also been using hoard battles for EV training, I think.

As far as I can tell (and according to other posts on this topic from other forums) the chances of a shiny pokémon appearing in a hoard encounter are the the same as a single pokémon encounter. But since you are battle 5 pokémon at once, you have its like single battling/encounter with that same pokémon 5 times, so your chances should go up.

~---------------------------------------------------------------------------~
3DS Friend Code: 4399-0158-9260
(Note: Please PM me if you add me so I know it's a PC member and not a random)
Friend Safari: Ghost Type: Phantump, Lampent, and Golurk

Last edited by Pilkie; November 6th, 2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old November 6th, 2013, 07:43 AM
colecates97

ok, finally someone clears some stuff up for me, and I had no idea people were already doing this.
Old November 6th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Broncos
Jesus take the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by She_Delphox View Post
In fact, i guess it kinda does, since you can encounter 5 Pokemon at a time. That would speed up the process a little bit more compared to encounter only one Pokemon at a time. I even read on several forums that some people using Sweet Scent to encounter horde battles to "increase" the encounter of getting a wild Shiny Pokemon to appear (and that worked for quite a lot of people, but you still need some luck though)
So, basically Sweet Scenting it increases the overall percentage of encountering shiny Pokes?

Did I get that right?

I actually rarely encounter hordes. How do you boost the likely hood of hordes poppin' up?

If I drown it'll be in the fountain of youth.
Old November 6th, 2013, 08:00 AM
She_Delphox
Delphox used Mystical Fire!

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos View Post
So, basically Sweet Scenting it increases the overall percentage of encountering shiny Pokes?

Did I get that right?

I actually rarely encounter hordes. How do you boost the likely hood of hordes poppin' up?
With Sweet Scent, it does increase the chance of encountering horde battles.
As far as encountering shinies, it is STILL the rate of 1/8192 per Pokemon, but since you are encountering 5 Pokemon at once instead of 1 wild Pokemon per battle, the chance of encountering a shiny Pokemon in a horde battle slightly increases, as stated earlier, because encountering 5 Pokemon in a battle instead of 1 makes the shiny hunting process speed up a little Hope I helped!
Currently playing: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire

Old November 6th, 2013, 10:42 AM
bizebest

Nature: Jolly
When you think about it, it is as likely as the Masuda method wich makes it 5 times more likely to get a shiny pokemon.
Oh, the wonderful world of probabilities...

Heart Gold FC: 1850 8090 9305 Trainer: Manji
White FC: 1249 7820 8373
3DS FC: 3539 9060 2109

Kanto - Johto - Hoenn - Sinnoh - Unova
Old November 6th, 2013, 08:18 PM
AuroraBeam
Audino~
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
I can attest it helps you get shinies, as I got two shinies within two days and this is the first game I've gotten shinies ever. The first was a wingull, but I was I trying for a mareep, so I started over and did eventually get my mareep. I can say, I did still have to go through many, many, many hordes, but was still quicker for me and worth it as I've never gotten a shiny before this game. I just used sweet scent to keep encounting hordes over and over.

~*~*~*~*~

Old November 6th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Iceman3317
Kalos Explorer!

Nature: Quiet
It does not increase the actual rate, it just lets you encounter the number of pokemon 5 times faster. So let's say 8000. Instead of 8000 single encounters and might get a shiny,you only have to do 1600 hoard battles. However, once you complete the National Dex you do, most likely, get the Shiny charm. Because you get the Oval Charm for completing the Kalos Dex. Which will make it easier to encounter shinies even more. Though it is still like a 1 in 2370 chance.

Honey and Sweet Scent have the same effect, once you use, you will encounter a hoard battle. However, there are a few routes where there is no hoard battles. Namely Route 22.
Old November 6th, 2013, 09:55 PM
PokéLoco

Is it possible to encounter Hordes in the Friend Safari?
[Lord Summerisle:] "Now, those children out there, they're jumping through the flames in the hope that the god of the fire will make them fruitful. Really, you can't blame them. After all, what girl would not prefer the child of a god to that of some acne-scarred artisan?"

[Sergeant Howie:] "And you encourage them in this?"

[Lord Summerisle:]"Actively! It's most important to teach new generation born of Summerisle be made aware that here the old gods aren't dead."

[Sergeant Howie:]"And what of the true God? To whose glory churches and monasteries have been built on these islands for generations past? Now what of Him?"

[Lord Summerisle:]"Oh, He's dead. He can't complain. He had his chance and in modern parlance. Blew it."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Lord Summerisle:]“And the ministers fled the island never to return. What my grandfather started out of expediency, my father continued out of love. He brought me up the same way: to reverence the music, and the drama, and the rituals of the old gods; to love nature and to fear it, and to rely on it and to appease it when necessary. He brought me up —”

[Sergeant Howie:]“He brought you up to be a pagan!”

[Lord Summerisle:]“A heathen, conceivably, but not, I hope, an unenlightened one.”
Old November 6th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Batty

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman3317 View Post
It does not increase the actual rate, it just lets you encounter the number of pokemon 5 times faster. So let's say 8000. Instead of 8000 single encounters and might get a shiny,you only have to do 1600 hoard battles. However, once you complete the National Dex you do, most likely, get the Shiny charm. Because you get the Oval Charm for completing the Kalos Dex. Which will make it easier to encounter shinies even more. Though it is still like a 1 in 2370 chance.

Honey and Sweet Scent have the same effect, once you use, you will encounter a hoard battle. However, there are a few routes where there is no hoard battles. Namely Route 22.
I didn't know about this charm. If you were using the shiny charm, 1 in 2370 chance, and then using sweet scent for hordes, wouldn't that mean.. 1 in 474 battles might have a shiny?
Old November 6th, 2013, 10:20 PM
BunnyRice
Busy with breed requests! ♥

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokéLoco View Post
Is it possible to encounter Hordes in the Friend Safari?
Unfortunately no. I tried using Honey/Sweet Scent in the Safari and as far as I know there is no Horde. One of my Safaris have 3 Pokemon but I only keep encountering 2 of the 3 for 2 hours straight and no 3rd yet appeared. I figured the 3rd might have been a horde so I tested it and it got the message "There's a time and place for everything, but now's not the time."
Pokemon X Name: Bunny
Old November 7th, 2013, 12:39 AM
NestorPrida

I will try this, i want a shiny so bad
Old November 7th, 2013, 07:07 AM
indiana2solo

Nature: Lonely
While EV training I cam across a shinny Gulpin, it didn't take me very long to get it but like I said I wasn't trying to get a shinny I was EV training.

Still though I keep holding out for another one, maybe Vanilite? Or a Bellsprout? Those would be cool EV training hordes to get a shinny in.

Why did it have to be Gulpin?
Old November 7th, 2013, 08:22 AM
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

Nature: Lonely
I saw a Twitter Pic of 3 shiny mareeps in one horde battle
Old November 7th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Gogoat Rocks!
The Mount Pokémon

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NestorPrida View Post
I will try this, i want a shiny so bad
I want a shiny so bad too. i'm so trying this method out.
Alpha Sapphire(Game + Delta Episode Complete):
Old November 7th, 2013, 11:08 AM
The Shadow
Ace Trainer

Send a message via Yahoo to The Shadow
I see a lot of shiny Pokemon on the GTS that you can encounter in a horde battle.
Old November 7th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Earthbound93

interesting. i'm really wanting a shiny slowpoke and ik those are found in hordes. guess ill give this a try see if i have any better luck than chaining

My safari is electric: Luxio, Stunfisk, and Pachirisu. pm if you add me
I give away pokerus If you need it, ask :3
Old November 7th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Plumpyfoof

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Plumpyfoof
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizebest View Post
When you think about it, it is as likely as the Masuda method wich makes it 5 times more likely to get a shiny pokemon.
Oh, the wonderful world of probabilities...
Well, yes. But it's not quite as big a jump as you would expect. Instead of the regular 1/8192 chance, it becomes 5/8192. So still <.001%
Old November 7th, 2013, 01:53 PM
NestorPrida

Im trying, no luck so far
Old November 8th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Fieryy

I been doing this before and had a shiny spinda in a horde of spindas..... wish it was a shiny swablu :/.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links