The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Battling & Team Building

Notices

Battling & Team Building The forum designed for all of your Pokémon battling needs! Here you can battle, discuss, participate in events, receive help on your team, and much more!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 8th, 2013, 01:48 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTheKing View Post
Shouldnt M.Absol take advantage of its massive Atk?Or is it wise to go for a mix spread in Atk and Sp.Atk?
You're missing the point. Mega Absol is now played as a (physically based) mixed attacker. The Naive nature is in here to give more power to Fire Blast as opposed to Jolly:
-Swords Dance
-Sucker Punch/Night Slash
-Play Rough
-Fire Blast
Nature: Naive
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Absolite
Ability: Super Luck (in case you've forgotten, any ability the original Absol has will be replaced by its Mega Evo's ability, Magic Bounce. This is in here because Super Luck is more useful than Pressure on something as frail as Absol)

or
-Sucker Punch
-Pursuit/Night Slash
-Play Rough
-Fire Blast
Nature: Naive
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Absolite
Ability: Super Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
Since I can't get Giga Drain on my Offensive Quiver Dance Volcarona (Timid) and I'm not cheating to get the correct Hidden Power, what are other good options for that last move slot?
Psychic is your best bet for now.

Old November 8th, 2013, 04:05 PM
SnowpointQuincy
Seeker of FRIEND CODES

Nature: Lonely
Look at this Hawlucha Set - To use untill Flying Gem is Availible

Hawlucha @ Power Herb
252 attk/252 speed
Ability - Unburden

Sky Attack - To Activate Unburden ASAP
Acrobatics - reliable stab
Hi Jump Kick
Hone Claws.

The Flying Gem isn't Available apparently, So this Is a set to use until then. Are there other attacks or EV spreads I should consider?
Old November 8th, 2013, 04:13 PM
wolf
on reduced activity

Swords Dance is much better than Hone Claws. Sure, Hone Claws improves High Jump Kick's accuracy, but the extra +1 boost that SD provides is more useful. Also, consider using Leichi Berry + Substitute instead of Sky Attack + Power Herb.

pc battle server • skype: awolffromspace • avatar source
Old November 9th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Helios93

Nature: Careful
What is the best way or pokemon to counter Mega Kangaskhan?

Pokemon Black 2
Gray:3440-4075-3353

3DS FC:4871-3854-5091
Old November 9th, 2013, 09:56 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios93 View Post
What is the best way or pokemon to counter Mega Kangaskhan?
Mega Kangaskhan can be countered more easily if it hasn't racked up any Power-Up Punch boosts. Also, Ghosts like Gourgeist and Trevenant can switch in and burn Mega Kangaskhan with Will-o-Wisp. Skarmory can phaze Mega Kangaskhan out with Whirlwind. Mega Aggron takes Mega Kangaskhan's attacks easily thanks to its Shuckle-level Defense and Filter. Those are some examples.

Old November 9th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Wizardplum

Bisharp - (Adamant) : 23 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31

Only if that 31 was in HP instead of SPA will that 23 make much of a difference from a 31?
Took me 200 eggs for this shiny ><
Old November 9th, 2013, 06:10 PM
wolf
on reduced activity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardplum View Post
Bisharp - (Adamant) : 23 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31

Only if that 31 was in HP instead of SPA will that 23 make much of a difference from a 31?
Took me 200 eggs for this shiny ><
That should be good enough. I doubt it'll make a significant difference. The Atk and Spd IVs are most important for Bisharp, and those are perfect.

pc battle server • skype: awolffromspace • avatar source
Old November 11th, 2013, 10:00 AM
ozzyboy

As title says, I'm planning to start playing more competitively, and I need some advice because I've never actually played any of the games competitively so realise it's a lot difference than regular playthroughs.

First off I'd like to say I used to play quite a bit of Gen 4 on simulators, so I don't need battling explained to me much.
Also I understand how IVs, natures and EVs affect pokemon, so that should be fine.

I guess my main problems are:
1a. How important are IVs? I mean how many IVs should I be trying to get perfect, seeing as I've heard it can be a real pain getting any more than 3 perfect.
1b. Also, which gen do you think is the best for breeding for IVs? From what I've seen, x and y look the best due to introduction of destiny knot and availability of pokemon with naturally high IVs because of friend safari, but I'd still like to check with you guys.

2. How far back should I start from? Like are there any pokemon which can only learn moves in an earlier gen than X and Y? I'd hate to breed a great pokemon only to find out it can only learn it's best moveset if it was imported from Platinum or whatever.

Other than those main questions, any advice you think is of importance to a new player would be greatly appreciated!
Old November 12th, 2013, 03:19 AM
hellman039

OK why is a Tyranitar quicker than my wash rotom. Why is a Lucario quicker than my Zapdos. Its happened a lot. My Garchomp is outspeed by other Garchomps, but mine has jolly nature. And all three of my pokemon mentioned have perfect ivs in speed. Do people use cheats online? what else could it possibly be? They were not Mega as well and its happened in quite a few different games. And it is know move like trick room. l just played again and there lapras was quciker than my mega mawille(who had been in for 3 turns already). l just don't get this. PLease explain.
Old November 12th, 2013, 04:22 AM
Batty

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellman039 View Post
OK why is a Tyranitar quicker than my wash rotom. Why is a Lucario quicker than my Zapdos. Its happened a lot. My Garchomp is outspeed by other Garchomps, but mine has jolly nature. And all three of my pokemon mentioned have perfect ivs in speed. Do people use cheats online? what else could it possibly be? They were not Mega as well and its happened in quite a few different games. And it is know move like trick room. l just played again and there lapras was quciker than my mega mawille(who had been in for 3 turns already). l just don't get this. PLease explain.
If your Pokemon has maximized speed and a Pokemon with less base speed, even if maximized through natures and IVs/EVs is still outspeeding your Pokemon, they are probably using an item or priority moves to make them faster/go first. Be sure to check your EVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyboy View Post
As title says, I'm planning to start playing more competitively, and I need some advice because I've never actually played any of the games competitively so realise it's a lot difference than regular playthroughs.

First off I'd like to say I used to play quite a bit of Gen 4 on simulators, so I don't need battling explained to me much.
Also I understand how IVs, natures and EVs affect pokemon, so that should be fine.

I guess my main problems are:
1a. How important are IVs? I mean how many IVs should I be trying to get perfect, seeing as I've heard it can be a real pain getting any more than 3 perfect.
1b. Also, which gen do you think is the best for breeding for IVs? From what I've seen, x and y look the best due to introduction of destiny knot and availability of pokemon with naturally high IVs because of friend safari, but I'd still like to check with you guys.

2. How far back should I start from? Like are there any pokemon which can only learn moves in an earlier gen than X and Y? I'd hate to breed a great pokemon only to find out it can only learn it's best moveset if it was imported from Platinum or whatever.

Other than those main questions, any advice you think is of importance to a new player would be greatly appreciated!
1- IVs are very important. Under no circumstance should you use a Pokemon with subpar IVs. But that doesn't mean perfect IVs. For example, a trick room Pokemon would not want high Speed IVs.
1b- X and Y would indeed be the best game to breed because of the Destiny Knot.

2. There are indeed Pokemon who can only learn moves in Gen V or even Gen IV. But you can't transfer these Pokemon to X/Y yet anyhow. Look through Pokemon movesets, if there is a Pokemon you think needs a move that can only be learned in a previous generation, go ahead and invest in an older game later on. But for now I think it would be efficient to stick with X and Y.

I'd also like to mention that even if you have your Pokemon with the right IVs, EVs, nature and a good moveset, you can still lose even to people who don't breed and EV train. This is because luck plays a big part in Pokemon- a move with good accuracy can still fail and they often do in the most inconvenient moments.

Last edited by Batty; November 12th, 2013 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old November 12th, 2013, 04:54 AM
Griffinbane
I hate Smeargle.
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellman039 View Post
Base speeds, friend. Base speeds. Every Pokemon has a different base speed value. Combine it with natures and EV training and you'll see exactly why all sorts of stuff is outspeeding you. You can get a look at these values Right Here.

White: 1463 5558 5309
X: 2208 5685 5454
- - - -
Old November 12th, 2013, 10:03 AM
brenndan

I was EV training my Talonflame for high speed to capitalize on its already fast base stats but I realized that there was no need to do this because of Gale Wing. Would it be smart to invest my EVs on defense/hp or defense/spD? I'm really new to trying to make competitive pokemon so any help is appreciated.

Add my FC:5429-7984-3217
My friend safari is Gloom, Whirlepede, and Ariados.
Pm me if you add me, I accept all
Old November 12th, 2013, 12:24 PM
xblazex91

Hey all, I never really got into competitive battling but I'm trying to now and would appreciate any advice from others who do so. I'm having trouble deciding on non team and a moveset/EV spread for my eventual dragonite. I currently have an adamant dratini with perfect IV's except Sp. Atk obviously. I'm not sure what moveset to use for it and how many EV's for each stat. The only other Pokemon I have so far in my team is a careful Skarmory with perfect IV's in everything except Sp. Atk. The EV spread I chose to use was 224 HP, 32 Def, and 252 Sp. Def. I wanted him to be well rounded with HP, def, and sp def. His moveset will likely be spikes, toxic, roost, and a physical flying attack. Please help if you can, any advise is appreciated.
Old November 12th, 2013, 12:31 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xblazex91 View Post
Hey all, I never really got into competitive battling but I'm trying to now and would appreciate any advice from others who do so. I'm having trouble deciding on non team and a moveset/EV spread for my eventual dragonite. I currently have an adamant dratini with perfect IV's except Sp. Atk obviously. I'm not sure what moveset to use for it and how many EV's for each stat. The only other Pokemon I have so far in my team is a careful Skarmory with perfect IV's in everything except Sp. Atk. The EV spread I chose to use was 224 HP, 32 Def, and 252 Sp. Def. I wanted him to be well rounded with HP, def, and sp def. His moveset will likely be spikes, toxic, roost, and a physical flying attack. Please help if you can, any advise is appreciated.
You're on the right track with Skarmory's EVs. However, Skarmory's other job besides walling physical attackers and checking special attackers who can't do much to it is phazing with Whirlwind after laying down your hazards. Without Whirlwind, Skarmory is setup bait for sweepers like Lucario.

Old November 12th, 2013, 12:34 PM
xblazex91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
You're on the right track with Skarmory's EVs. However, Skarmory's other job besides walling physical attackers and checking special attackers who can't do much to it is phazing with Whirlwind after laying down your hazards. Without Whirlwind, Skarmory is setup bait for sweepers like Lucario.
Thanks so what do you suggest his final moveset should be and how do I get whirlwind?
Old November 12th, 2013, 12:45 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xblazex91 View Post
Thanks so what do you suggest his final moveset should be and how do I get whirlwind?
-Spikes/Stealth Rock
-Whirlwind
-Roost
-Brave Bird/Steel Wing/Taunt
Nature: Impish/Careful
EVs: 224 HP/252 Def/32 SDef or 224 HP/32 Def/252 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy

Also, Whirlwind is one of Skarmory's egg moves; the father has to be Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot, Starly/Staravia/Staraptor, Sigilyph, Rufflet/Braviary or Noibat/Noivern.

Old November 13th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Fayble

Nature: Quirky
Given the new type changeups (and inclusion of Fairy) in Gen 6, what are some opinions on Monotype teams. These have always interested me, and I'm curious how viable some of them can be. Also, is there any consensus or opinions on how Mega Evolutions that change types can be used? For example, could you use Mega Charizard X on a Dragon monotype team to have access to Fire STAB, even though he's normally Fire/Flying?
Old November 13th, 2013, 11:39 AM
JayTheKing
~~King Of Plegia~~

Best nature for Aurorus?
And Aurorus HA is snow warning right?Should i use it over Aboma?

White 2:4814-8483-7594
3DS:4871 4138 8216
Friend Safari:Bug with Combee,Illumise and Heracross!
Old November 13th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Dragonkid0207

Hey guys im kinda new to the website so first of all i'd like to say hi!
Second of all im kinda having trouble with a team member. Shuckle right now is giving me trouble in a way that he has so many good moves i dont know what to teach him. I want him to most definitely have Sticky Web as his entry hazard. Hes going to be my lead so what are your thoughts?
And if you could also provide an EV spread, Nature, and Ability.
Thanks in Advanced!
Old November 13th, 2013, 11:53 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTheKing View Post
Best nature for Aurorus?
And Aurorus HA is snow warning right?Should i use it over Aboma?
Modest. Stick with Abomasnow for now because Snow Warning Amaura/Aurorus isn't even available yet.

Old November 13th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Redingard
The Rider Breeds Pokemon

Nature: Relaxed
Would an Adamant Electivire be a Attack Sweeper? With a brutal 123 Base Attack stat and above-average 95-Speed stat, with the proper walls to support it, it could be quite devastating. It can also be a pretty decent Sp. Def wall when it has Light Screen. IVs and EVs are important of course, but let's say they're perfect for now. What then? And, what moves should it have?

http://www.pokecommunity.com/signaturepics/sigpic434003_2.gif

Last edited by Redingard; November 13th, 2013 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Forgot sum stuffles
Old November 13th, 2013, 03:39 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redingard View Post
Would an Adamant Electivire be a Attack Sweeper? With a brutal 123 Base Attack stat and above-average 95-Speed stat, with the proper walls to support it, it could be quite devastating. IVs and EVs are important of course, but let's say they're perfect for now. What then?
Yes, Electivire is viewed as a physical sweeper. While its move pool is good, the low power behind its coverage moves unless they're super effective let it down, so it's best played as a mixed attacker:
-Wild Charge
-Flamethrower
-Earthquake
-Ice Punch
Nature: Hasty/Naive
EVs: 248 Atk/36 SAtk/224 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt
Ability: Motor Drive

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenndan View Post
I was EV training my Talonflame for high speed to capitalize on its already fast base stats but I realized that there was no need to do this because of Gale Wing. Would it be smart to invest my EVs on defense/hp or defense/spD? I'm really new to trying to make competitive pokemon so any help is appreciated.
Talonflame only needs enough Speed to outspeed Jolly Excadrill, as everything that Flare Blitz should hit is slower than Talonflame. As such, the EV spread should be 192 HP/252 Atk/4 Def/60 Spe.

Last edited by PlatinumDude; November 13th, 2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old November 13th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Mumzy
Pokemon Raiser

Nature: Calm
Can you count Super-Training as EVs and if so, how do I tally them up?

I love to battle! Feel free to add or message me!

Old November 13th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Griffinbane
I hate Smeargle.
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenndan View Post
You can try but given Talonflame's defenses, I'm not sure if it is worth it. Then again, mine has survived hits I thought should have KO'd it. You have to be aware that if you're dealing with opposing Talonflame trained in Speed, they may very well outspeed YOURS and KO it with Brave Bird/Acrobatics. Cuz when two sides both have same priority, the higher speed goes first. Just like regular attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumzy View Post
Can you count Super-Training as EVs and if so, how do I tally them up?
Super-training trains in EVs, yes. The punching bags give 1 (small), 4 (medium), 12 (large) EVs. The games give 4 (level 1), 8 (level 2) and 12 (level 3) EVs.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Super_training

White: 1463 5558 5309
X: 2208 5685 5454
- - - -
Old November 13th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Xairmo
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
What's a good set for Goodra?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here