• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Song Meaning Game!! :) :) :)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
I always have fun dissecting messages in song lyrics, so I thought it would be fun to make a game out of it.

Here's how it'll work. I'll be choosing one song every other day for anyone who wants to dissect the lyrics to dissect them. When you're done, just reply to this thread. I'll be posting song lyrics (with a link or video to the song) from a wide variety of genres. For every song you dissect, you gain a single point. You'll also gain an additional point for being metaphoric, and descriptive in your dissection. Describing what the lyrics mean is very important!

Remember!!! The game is to dissect the entire song, not just give an overview of what the song is supposed to mean. If you're confused what I mean, take a look at Rap Genius.

You can format your posts in whatever way you'd like. Whether it be line for line, or verse for verse.

If you want to be part of the game, just dissect the message in the lyrics at the very bottom of this post, hidden in the spoiler tag, and I'll add you to the list of participants.

Participants (and points):
none :(

The opening song for the song meaning game will be simple. It'll be Katy Perry - Roar.
Spoiler:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CevxZvSJLk8‎

Years
I think Roar is a boring song. Just gonna get that out there before I start. My comments and interpretation are in red.

--------

I used to bite my tongue and hold my breath
Scared to rock the boat and make a mess
Bite my tongue, hold my breath, and (not) rocking the boat are all common phrases describing a person not engaging in any activity that would change the status quo of a situation. The implication is that there are thoughts that the singer has which she is keeping quiet about because she thinks they would upset the status quo.

So I sat quietly, agreed politely
I guess that I forgot I had a choice
The implication here is that keeping quiet too long about your opinions may somehow make you forget you have them or that you might get into the habit of never voicing them.

I let you push me past the breaking point
But that no one can keep quiet if they are faced with a situation that seems to be too extreme to keep quiet about. In this case it seems that the singer is keeping quiet in relation to another person, presumably someone who doesn't value her opinions or that she feels would be upset if she "rocked the boat" by voicing those opinions.

I stood for nothing, so I fell for everything
This line seems a little out of place. It would make more sense before the previous line since it's in the previous line that the singer went "past the breaking point" which usually means their actions change once they've passed that point. But someone at this point the singer is still not standing up for herself and has no confidence.

The above lyrics seem to be painting an unequal relationship between the singer and "you".

You held me down, but I got up
Already brushing off the dust
I don't think this is meant to be taken literally, but if it is then "you" is restraining the singer physically. That might imply a physical (sexual) relationship where the "you" is physically abusive on top of the implicit verbal abuse that one would expect to see in a relationship where one party is afraid to speak their mind.

You hear my voice, you hear that sound
Like thunder gonna shake the ground
She has found her voice at this point. She is able to speak and her words, views, etc. are powerful enough to shake the ground. Since the ground is what you build your foundation on, it seems that this is meant to say that what the singer is saying is seriously disturbing the foundation of her relationship with "you" - all the more indication that their relationship was built on her not having an opinion.

If we continue to view this in terms of a physical relationship, her shaking the ground could indicate that she is no longer lying flatly when they are intimate, that she is moving, perhaps struggling against attempts to hold her down. That points more toward physical abuse.

Get ready cause I've had enough
I see it all, I see it now
The singer is indicating that things are going to change from this point forward. She has shaken the foundation of their relationship and sees that some change is possible.

The singer seems to have found some new way forward that she did not see as possible before she was pushed too far and forced into speaking her mind.

I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire
She feels she has some strength and confidence now so that even fire doesn't scare her.

Cause I am a champion and you're gonna hear me roar
Louder, louder than a lion
Cause I am a champion and you're gonna hear me roar
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
You're gonna hear me roar
She's going to say things and have anyone and everyone hear them. All the thoughts she kept to herself she is now going to speak.

Now I'm floating like a butterfly
Stinging like a bee I earned my stripes
Animal imagery implies that she is wild or uncivilized, not sticking to convention or civility, and that it gives her a kind of strength since she can now also float and sting.

I went from zero, to my own hero
She likes what has happened to her and feels it is a positive thing for her.

Already brushing off the dust
You hear my voice, you hear that sound
Like thunder gonna shake the ground
Get ready 'cause I've had enough
I see it all, I see it now

'Cause I am a champion and you're gonna hear me roar
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
You'll hear me roar
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
You're gonna hear me roar...

Ro-oar, ro-oar, ro-oar, ro-oar, ro-oar

Oh oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
You'll hear me roar
Oh oh oh oh oh oh
You're gonna hear me roar...

The lyrics repeat so there's no indication of what happens next. So it would seem that her relationship with the unnamed other party is changed, but we don't know if the relationship continues in some changed way or just ends. I think it's implied it ends because its foundation was broken. And all of that would sound like a positive development if we're following the interpretation that the singer is someone who was verbally and/or physically abused, but the lyrics could also be telling the story of a person who is emotionally dead and shutting someone out (never feeling like speaking their thoughts) in a relationship with someone who is desperate enough to get them to feel something that they resort to physical means to get a response. Her lack of fear at fire (which is irrational) and believing that she is a wild animal may indicate that she's had some mental break with reality.

Back