• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lorem Ipsum - The Language Club!

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
As I said before, I'm a native Dutch and Polish speaker.
Seeing how people coming from other languages try to learn one of those, makes me proud I speak both natively.
I mean, Dutch is extremely hard to learn for foreigners, and Polish is impossible to learn for foreigners.

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
Years
That info is plenty useful. Thank you .
Japanes, mandarin, and Korean are the ones I'll be using once they are out. :D
Thinking about learning Russian as well. I have nieces and nephews who are half Russian, so I'd like to be able to speak to them in Russian.
How hard is it in your opinion?

It's not that hard once you get Cyrillic down, but you have to get used to rolling Rs in, like, every single word. Also the grammar is death, especially compared to Korean or Japanese. ;;

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
As I said before, I'm a native Dutch and Polish speaker.
Seeing how people coming from other languages try to learn one of those, makes me proud I speak both natively.
I mean, Dutch is extremely hard to learn for foreigners, and Polish is impossible to learn for foreigners.

I think all European languages are difficult. xD
Especially for me.

It's not that hard once you get Cyrillic down, but you have to get used to rolling Rs in, like, every single word. Also the grammar is death, especially compared to Korean or Japanese. ;;

Now I'm scared. Might have to rethink Russian.
/runsaway

MKGirlism

Years
I think all European languages are difficult. xD
Especially for me.
Non-sense, you're speaking English, which is originally a European language.

Als je Engels kent, is Nederlands toch niet zo moeilijk te verstaan?

Język polski jest wiele trudniejszy, ale jest bardziej podobny do ruskiego.

Years
^I understood the Dutch part, yay :D

I'd love to join. I've always had a passion for languages.

English and German are my native languages. I grew up in Germany and was raised bilingual. I prefer English most of the time and I use it as often as I can.

I've been learning French for over 4 years and took Spanish classes 3 years. One of my dreams is to become a translator someday.

I also understand a few words in Dutch and Japanese and I'd love to learn those languages thoroughly sometime. They've always fascinated me. Especially Dutch which (in my opinion) sounds like a mix of German-English-French etc. xD

MKGirlism

Years
That's because Dutch, German, and English belong to the Germanic Language Groups, and many Dutch words were taken from French too.

This Map is ugly like hell, but it shows the Language Groups quite accurately:
Indo-Hittite.gif

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
Non-sense, you're speaking English, which is originally a European language.

Als je Engels kent, is Nederlands toch niet zo moeilijk te verstaan?

Język polski jest wiele trudniejszy, ale jest bardziej podobny do ruskiego.

Only because I grew up with it. D:
Anything else I'd fail miserably.

^I understood the Dutch part, yay :D

I'd love to join. I've always had a passion for languages.

English and German are my native languages. I grew up in Germany and was raised bilingual. I prefer English most of the time and I use it as often as I can.

I've been learning French for over 4 years and took Spanish classes 3 years. One of my dreams is to become a translator someday.

I also understand a few words in Dutch and Japanese and I'd love to learn those languages thoroughly sometime. They've always fascinated me. Especially Dutch which (in my opinion) sounds like a mix of German-English-French etc. xD

Welcome to the club! Always nice to get more members!
We have the same dream.
May all our dreams come true. <3

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
The languages that I have said previously that I am learning (French, Spanish, Greek, Japanese and Croatian) I am deciding to take up 3 more. Icelandic, German and Mandarin. I have to take learning these very slowly, as I can't seem to remember most of the stuff I was taught. So, it's something like a word every day or so. If we could get a group going for this, I'd join it.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
O_o that's a lot of languages to learn! :O

Anyways, I could've sworn I've joined this group already, but guess I didn't! I've been teaching myself Italian for the past three years and I've become a bit better by it. I have two native languages: English and Spanish. I spoke English first, but as I got older my parents began to teach me Spanish. I can't say my Spanish is perfecto, but if you hear my voice, sometimes the accent does come out xD

French would be another language I would love to take on, but I have zero room on my schedule to take a class on my recreational time. Thank goodness for online tools though. I hate Google Translate. Google Translate is the worst out there and I do not rely on their translations at all. I learned Italian on my own time, buying software, reading Italian-written stories, and listening to audio tapes. I'm at the level where I find myself comfortable writing, but speaking is what I need to practice.

I think that kinda covers the two introductory questions on the OP. xD

SS01

#PoC Collab
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
O_o that's a lot of languages to learn! :O

Anyways, I could've sworn I've joined this group already, but guess I didn't! I've been teaching myself Italian for the past three years and I've become a bit better by it. I have two native languages: English and Spanish. I spoke English first, but as I got older my parents began to teach me Spanish. I can't say my Spanish is perfecto, but if you hear my voice, sometimes the accent does come out xD

French would be another language I would love to take on, but I have zero room on my schedule to take a class on my recreational time. Thank goodness for online tools though. I hate Google Translate. Google Translate is the worst out there and I do not rely on their translations at all. I learned Italian on my own time, buying software, reading Italian-written stories, and listening to audio tapes. I'm at the level where I find myself comfortable writing, but speaking is what I need to practice.

I think that kinda covers the two introductory questions on the OP. xD
Let me know if you need any help with French. I'm a native speaker, born in Québec :)

MKGirlism

Years
Bump, because I found something helpful for the people wanting to learn more languages.
http://speakfromday1.com/

This site seems like a Scam in the first place, but reading Reviews on the Internet, it actually seems to help.
I have the guide, it's basically not learning you a specific language, it's learning you how to learn a language efficiently (planning, mentality, other tips, etc.).
The English Version is 115 pages long, and printed, the pages are squares (so no full A4's).

Edit:
I just found a Printable Version, which is just 55 pages long, and contains the same text.

droomph

weeb
Years
Ai amu eraifu

That sounds cool, though I wish that was free or demo though so I could see what's up with it and see if it's a scam or not. Though there needs to be more stuff like that in general so I can't really complain. But why is it $100? Seems weird but I guess it's worth it.

Oh and I found a cool book online for Nuxalmc (some Native American language known for its long consonant clusters) so if anyone wants it I can point them in the general direction. As for its legality it's from the Canadian ethnologue or something so I don't think they would object to getting a little more attention. Besides they're Canadian so they're gonna kill you quickly and silently if they want so you don't have to worry about lawsuits #uncommonstereotypes

And speaking of my absence, I was at SAT Prep camp for the whole winter break (life wasted tbh). I've become much more aware of grammar and it's starting to become debilitating. Hah

MKGirlism

Years
From what I've seen in this Guide, it doesn't teach you any specific language, it teaches you how to learn a language.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
MKGirlism said:
Bump, because I found something helpful for the people wanting to learn more languages.
http://speakfromday1.com/

I cracked up when he literally spoke Spanglish. I thought he was just joking. xD

About most of the languages he presented, I was able to comprehend a little, especially Portuguese and Italian. Because of my ability to speak Spanish very well, it makes it easier for me to understand other similar languages.

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
Years
I don't think I actually stated before but;
I'd love to join the club!

Duh! I did join before! Never-mind I guess .

If anyone wants to know some Welsh, I'd be happy to help if I can!
I also speak a little [alright, very little] Dutch.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 30, 2014
What languages do you speak, and how well do you speak them?
German and bavarian are my native tongues. in addition I've learned spanish in vocational school. (very well. i got "1" = "A" in the exams)
And also business english - i hated to learn it, because our exams are very difficult.

Also, what are some online tools that you use to help learn?
Skype and Forums. Thats the best u can do!

If u have any questions about the german oder bavarian language, do not hesitate to ask me.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Business English? I know Tech English. xD But they both sound moderately the same but instead they use different lingo. lol

Surprisingly when I took Spanish class in college (this was a year and a half ago), I got more B's and C's than A's in that class even though I understood the material. But this was a Spanish Literature class, which was equivalent to an AP Spanish course. There were some words I didn't understand, and I wasn't allowed to get help from a spanish dictionary or translator ;;

I only know a teeny bit of German. "Goodbye" and that's it xD

Omicron

the day was mine
Years
Watching Frozen's Let it Go's multi-language version makes me want to learn languages even more!

I think I'll take French next.
And Kitty, I'd love to learn Welsh. :3. A teacher of mine spoke a little and I find it mystifying. It's sad it is dying, though.

Back