Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central
Reload this Page Which Pokemon Ranger Games have you played?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

View Poll Results: Which of the Pokemon Ranger Games have you played?
Pokemon Ranger 4 17.39%
Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia 11 47.83%
Pokemon Ranger: Gaurdian Signs 7 30.43%
None 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 3rd, 2013 (03:21 PM).

Nature: Careful
  • Pokemon Ranger
  • Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia
  • Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs
  • None

Choose which of the Pokemon Ranger Games you have played before, I just decided to make this poll because I didn't see anything about the Ranger Games and they are REALLY underrated, so I wanted to see if any of the spin-off game fans liked them
Old November 4th, 2013 (05:17 AM).
the demons in our minds
CS

Nature: Naive
I have tried one actually, but I never got far. It was so different and I felt more like playing the main series games after a while into it. So I don't even remember much :( Are they okay games, generally?

moderator of
Roleplay Theatre

roleplayer in
Crossroads x Digimon
Titans x Legends

Old November 4th, 2013 (08:10 AM).

Well the first one is really difficult, but doesn't have much of a story......, the 2nd one though has a REALLY good plot if you pay attention to it and do a certain quest pertaining to it, and the 3rd one has a plot to do with ancient artifacts and the bad guys trying to become immortal by obtaining them.

Gameplay-wise, The 3rd one is the only Pokemon game that actually lets you skip the tutorials if you already know them.... only some that don't include new features though. The 2nd one you start out in a Ranger School and go through the life of a Pokemon Ranger, The Ranger School part is pretty boring but once you get past it, it gets way, way better, but you have to have the patience. For the 1st, I just say, skip it, because that was the time where Pokemon was just developing and testing things out for the DS, and keep in mind the game came out before Diamond and Pearl, so they weren't sure what to do with it.

I would recommend these games, but only if you have enough patience for a LOT of text (1st & 2nd), and Plot (2nd & 3rd).
Old November 4th, 2013 (08:30 AM).
Tsunderes forever

Nature: Naughty
I have only ever tried the first pokemon ranger. Only cause I do not like this series of spin off.
Old November 4th, 2013 (02:17 PM).

I've played through all of them, they're my favorite spinoff games. The poll won't let me choose more than one option though :c

3DS friend code: 5455-9960-5079
Tumblr
Old November 4th, 2013 (08:35 PM).
I am legend

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
Quote originally posted by Adventure:
I have tried one actually, but I never got far. It was so different and I felt more like playing the main series games after a while into it. So I don't even remember much :( Are they okay games, generally?
They're awesome, much more engaging (not as much free though) and the storyline is generally great. Shadows of Almia being the only one I've completed I can say the storyline was about six times better than any of the mainstream game's storyline. You should try it! The gameplay is totally underrated and like all other Spinoff Games it's more valuable than the mainstream ones.

I've played all three but I've only completed Shadows of Almia, I liked the story. I would play it again someday, but I feel I would be out of touch. I used to be quite the ranger those days, though.
Old November 4th, 2013 (11:19 PM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
I played all of them, finished Almia and Guardian Signs...
The first Ranger had weird mechanics... I just couldn't beat Charizard and Salamance somewhere so I never bothered to finish them.
But the other 2 rangers were really cool. I loved the story in Almia and signs calling legendary Pokemon in GS. Raiding on legendary beasts or flying on Eon due were fantastic.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old November 5th, 2013 (12:30 AM).
Banned for being awesome

Nature: Jolly
I played all of them and IT really love the Guardian sign feature in Pokemon ranger:Guardian signs :3
Old November 5th, 2013 (01:21 AM).
I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.

Nature: Bashful
I played the first one (only got it in the first place for the Manaphy event thing on it!) and Shadows of Almia. They're very text heavy though and don't really give you much of an option to skip them. Shadows of Almia was better than the first one, I liked how you didn't need to keep getting the same pokemon for field clears (is that what they're called?).

I think the only reason I stopped playing them was because Almia kept messing up my R4 card, creating a gazillion save files and stuff..
Old November 5th, 2013 (01:27 PM).

Quote originally posted by Dumerili:
I've played through all of them, they're my favorite spinoff games. The poll won't let me choose more than one option though :c

I'm sorry that the poll is not doing that, I'm new here so I didn't know how to make it so you could choose more than one option, heck, I didn't even know how to make a poll and had look it up in the FAQ on PC lol.

And I'm glad you like all of them, I do too!
Old November 10th, 2013 (10:20 AM).

I've played all three. I liked the first one, the story was okay and it was quite difficult in parts.

I loved Shadows of Almia. The characters, the plot, everything. I had really high hopes for Guardian Signs but was really disappointed with it... I felt it was far too easy (my styler didn't break once throughout the entire game and the plot wasn't great either in my opinion... But if Nintendo brought out another ranger game, I'd be all to excited to play it.
Old November 10th, 2013 (01:05 PM).

Quote originally posted by Sarcastasaurus:
I've played all three. I liked the first one, the story was okay and it was quite difficult in parts.

I loved Shadows of Almia. The characters, the plot, everything. I had really high hopes for Guardian Signs but was really disappointed with it... I felt it was far too easy (my styler didn't break once throughout the entire game and the plot wasn't great either in my opinion... But if Nintendo brought out another ranger game, I'd be all to excited to play it.
Glad you liked them! By the way, I felt the same way with Guardian Signs (but I did sort of like the plot, with the whole becoming immortal with ancient armor and stuff.....) Its way too easy to get "S" Ranks too, huh?
Old November 14th, 2013 (07:01 PM).
doesn't work well with others...

Nature: Quirky
Why will it only let me pick one? I've played two!
First one
Guardian signs

I'm Reading...
Just finished a volume of Soul Eater, volume 14. At this point, it has become very different compared to the anime, and I kind of like it. Some of the characters have gotten a lot more fleshed out (specifically the meister team of Ox, Kilik, and Kim), and things are happening quite differently. An exciting read.

I'm Playing...
The iPod music game, Cytus. While I may not know very many of the songs, I really like its music, and the gameplay is easy to pick up yet takes quite a while to master. A friend has seen me play it and he says I make it look easy, but I am still having a fun and challenging time. Definitely worth the price.
Old November 22nd, 2013 (04:27 AM).
Dark Ranger

I've played all 3 but I think I've yet to complete Guardian Signs. Shadows of Almia was by far the best and I'm gonna restart it today just so I can play it again, but the original Ranger was good too.

Rare Ball Trade Shop || Trade Reviews || Trade Spreadsheet
IGN: Dactyl || FC: 0920-0357-3706 || OR TSV: 2718 || Y TSV: 0205
Old November 23rd, 2013 (05:38 PM).
no ordinary buizel

Nature: Timid
I've played all three, and I love them! It's great to see they made vast improvements between the first two games; I probably wouldn't recommend the first to many people, but the sequels, definitely. I remember enjoying Shadows of Almia the most for some reason, but I think the mechanics of Guardian Signs are better (especially the assists during a "battle"). Hmm, I've yet to finish the past missions in Guardian Signs...

while keeping perfect time
you’ll bag up these hearts of mine
with your rhythmic shaking motion
let’s mix up more of our love potion

Water Safari: Octillery, Gyarados, Poliwhirl
Searching for Minccino, Gastrodon, Liepard, and Braixen safaris
Old November 23rd, 2013 (05:44 PM).
HAIL HYDRA!
Platinum Tier

Just the first one. I bought it the day it came out. I was starved for more Pokemon content and I didn't like it too much. I didn't get too far into it, and quickly abandoned/traded it in. I'm not really too fond of the spin-off games.
Old November 24th, 2013 (11:35 AM).

Nature: Quiet
I've played all three, but at the moment I only have Shadows of Almia. I really want to get back into Guardian Signs though.

Currently breeding: Custom starters (PM me if interested).
Old November 30th, 2013 (05:27 AM).
誰か

Nature: Hasty
I've played all three. Upon playing the latter two, I've seen that the first ranger wasn't really all that fun and the thing with the numbers and catching Pokemon was just...weird. The bar thing is far better, and it just makes things a bit easier. Plot-wise, I prefer Almia a little bit, since I love both plots. I like the fact that you start off in a school. It's been a long time since I've played these games so I don't really remember much but it was pretty cool that in Guardian Signs you were able to summon some legendary and ride on them. Also I loved flying around the region, but it felt limited. :( So game wise, GS. Plot wise, SOA.
Old November 30th, 2013 (06:28 PM).
I promise
Crystal Tier

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Skype™ to Jupiter
I've only played the original one and Shadows of Almia. I haven't played Guardian Signs and I have no intention to.
Shadows of Almia was by far my favorite, though. I loved the storyline much more than the original.
Old November 30th, 2013 (09:47 PM).
Remember NovEnder
Super Moderator

I played the first two. I liked the first one enough to get rather far in it, but stopped playing when I just couldn't beat one of the three dragons. It was the same deal with the second Ranger game. There was a part that I was stuck on, no matter how many times I attempted to get through. Now both games are just sitting in a box with a whole mess of DS games I stopped playing and I decided not to get the third one.

I like the concept of the Ranger games. Not only the play style of "capturing" Pokemon by using the touch screen but also the idea behind Pokemon Rangers. It wasn't enough to keep me playing through the games though.
Old December 1st, 2013 (05:07 AM).
Nintendo is for awesome people

I've played all Ranger games, and in my opinion, they've gotten better with every new game.

I liked the first Pokemon Ranger, but I've never finished it, because Charizard gave me so much trouble that I just gave up on it.

Shadows of Almia is way better than the first Ranger game. The plot is great, the music is great, the bar system is a vast improvement over the number system of the first Ranger, I love that you can take your Pokemon everywhere, and I really like that you can change your partner.

Guardian Signs is my favourite Ranger game. My favourite mechanic of the game is the new Poke Assist mechanic. I also love the music, the plot, and the ability to actually see yourself flying in the sky. Also, the past missions are pretty enjoyable.

Credit for this sig goes to Ash`, credit for my avatar goes to The Epic Pikachu from Tumblr
Old December 4th, 2013 (09:25 PM).
All your base are belong to us

Send a message via Skype™ to Mara
I played both Shadows of Almia and Guardian Signs. Of the two, I prefer Almia. I loved the story more. Along with that, It's the only one of the two that I've beat xD I only recently got Guardian Signs. It's a great game but I won't be able to tell whether or not I like it more. I hope Guardian Signs is just as great or even better than Almia.
Old December 6th, 2013 (12:19 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by Mara:
I hope Guardian Signs is just as great or even better than Almia.
It's hard to say.
I believe Almia is absolutely best in terms of storyline.
Guardian Signs is best in overall gameplay so it depends on your point of view

We still should get more choices poll xD

Old December 6th, 2013 (12:39 AM).
All your base are belong to us

Send a message via Skype™ to Mara
Quote originally posted by Satoshi Ookami:
It's hard to say.
I believe Almia is absolutely best in terms of storyline.
Guardian Signs is best in overall gameplay so it depends on your point of view

We still should get more choices poll xD
Yeah. It's looking to be that way. I'm not into Guardian Signs like I was with Almia. But I do love the gameplay in Signs. Both are great games though.
Old December 6th, 2013 (01:08 AM).
Memento Mori
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by Mara:
Yeah. It's looking to be that way. I'm not into Guardian Signs like I was with Almia. But I do love the gameplay in Signs. Both are great games though.
Have you reached the point where you can summon legendary beasts and ride on them?
That's a really great selling point of GS =D

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links