The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Battling & Team Building

Notices

Battling & Team Building The forum designed for all of your Pokémon battling needs! Here you can battle, discuss, participate in events, receive help on your team, and much more!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 23rd, 2013, 08:15 PM
halcyonic
hates bulk up talonflame
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahISuck View Post
Username: BlahISuck

What's your inspiration and motivation to battle competitively?

Not much, just to have fun, really. I don't even have teams nowadays since I'm tired of cookies wiping them out and I'm too lazy to make backups. Mostly I watch other people battle, provide input, and do randbats.

Experience in competitive battling: 4-5 months methinks.

Favourite Pokemon(s): Charizard, Arcanine, Houndoom, Blaziken

Preferred playstyle/core: I'm more comfortable playing stall than offensive. One thing I need to lose on is keeping momentum and pressure on my opponent. However, I'm more than willing to make sacrifices and go for deathstrokes if needs require it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redingard View Post
- Username: Redingard

- Answer to current topic: I've seen quitew a few Tyranitars sweeping my team just after one Dragon Dance. Sure, it's weakness to fighting is pretty big, but it can outspeed most OU after just one Dragon Dance. Mega Evolutions don't seem to be big on him, though. I've never fought against one and survived, so its place in OU seems pretty well deserved and won't be knocked down any time soon.

- Experience in competitive battling: I started about two weeks ago, around when I started breeding. I'm pretty bad right now and probably have invalid opinions, but that's what PC is for, amirite?

- Favourite Pokemon(s): Electivire, Barbaracle, Garchomp, Mega Charizard X, Gliscor

- Preferred playstyle/core: Full-out physical sweeping. Hoping to incorporate some Def/Sp. Def walls.
hey blahisuck and redingard, welcome to the club :D its always fun to see more people joining ;] have fun discussing whatever the topic is rn :p

also im leaving for hongkong tomorrow :[ ill most likely be able to come during the plane flight, but other than that, chances are pretty low for me to come again. so yea, just have fun with each other guys :]

oh, ill most probably post the tourney next week, just in case any of you were wondering. the tourney shouldnt be in pokebank ubers too, maybe pokebank ou or any other tier :p

sword art online II
phantom bullet

• vm . pm - feel free to contact me
  • server - chat and battle
  • blog - random thoughts and stuff
  • #aerilate- mega pinsir team

Old November 23rd, 2013, 09:09 PM
Ársa
k.

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolflare View Post
I think it'll be interesting to see if Ninetales will remain OU after the metagame has matured a bit. It's pretty much outclassed by Mega Charizard Y aside from being able to use Hypnosis and Nasty Plot as well as not being 4x weak to Stealth Rock. Drought in UU with Victini, Chandelure, and the like sounds pretty nasty, so even if it does drop to UU, it'll probably get banned.
The issue is that Charizard Y takes up a MegaEvo slot that Ninetails doesn't. Considering the weather nerf, I wouldn't be half-surprised if teams started running both Ninetails/Charizard Y to ensure the sun was maintained. Especially because in and of itself, Charizard is one of the bigger beneficiaries of it.

Anyway,

Username: Tortured_Soul

Experience: Mainly around DP era - had a number of teams peak on the Shoddy ladder in that time, and considered myself a rather decent battler. I was a regular S&M rater at the time as well. Stuck around for a little while in Platinum, then lost interest until recently. Now I'm pretty much back to square-one; not a clue about the metagame.

Inspiration: Funny concept. Basically just enjoyment, or something to help pass the time while I'm on Uni break. I'll never be as interested as I was back in high school, but right now I'm just interested in getting back into the game and catching up with those still around from the 'good 'ol days'.

Fave Pokemon: Absol, Milotic, Mawile Latias

Playstyle: Bulky offense mainly, built around a solid FWG core (Heatran + Gyara + Celebi was a staple on quite a few of my teams in DP)

Topic: Everything has been pretty much covered. I haven't actually spent much time playing Gen 6 yet, that will come in the next few weeks. As far as new pokes are concerned, the playability of Greninja and its ability to threaten almost anything with SE STAB makes a great case for an OU staple. Talonflame's potency depends on how common defog users (and by association uncommon SR users) become as the metagame evolves. Goodra, Gourgeist and Klefki are a few of my personal faves that I think will find great use in their respective roles. I've fallen in love with Klefki's niche, and there are so many slight-variants to its set that it can play a number of roles effectively, with a great typing to boot.

The Bank Vault - An XY Trade Thread

"Oh, I’ve got it! Why of course! The Heartless need a heart!" ~Jack Skellington

Last edited by Ársa; November 23rd, 2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 09:17 PM
halcyonic
hates bulk up talonflame
Community Supporter

welcome to the club, t_s. i guess you probably know what dirt happens around here already, so yeah, go enjoy yourself :]

sword art online II
phantom bullet

Old November 23rd, 2013, 09:42 PM
dreyko
Isolated System.

Nature: Careful
I feel that Goodra will stick around as a special tank, that can fight back, in OU due to Assault Vest.

I kinda feel that Hawlucha might see some play in OU, but it being in the OU tier in not o sure of. It movepool is decent and its stats are not terrible. I can see being more of a supportish role though.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 10:08 PM
halcyonic
hates bulk up talonflame
Community Supporter

ive been trying hawlucha on showdown and i must say, its a pretty decent pokemon. here are speed calculations.

Quote:
hawlucha sports an impressive base 118 speed stat:

+2 252 speed adamant hawlucha = 670 speed
+2 252 speed jolly hawlucha = 736 speed
although it has a mere 97 base attack stat, it can further boost its attack with swords dance/hone claws. it has powerful moves such as acrobatics and high jump kick to use and it can easily pass to its teammates the swords dance and unburden boost with baton pass. it also gets encore :>

id say hawlucha is uu at best but we may find usage of hawlucha in ou tho. btw people flying press is bad, horrible, HORRIBAD ;< what a stupid signature move

sword art online II
phantom bullet

Last edited by halcyonic; November 23rd, 2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 10:17 PM
dreyko
Isolated System.

Yeah, i was looking through X/Y pokemon and saw hawlucha's stats + moves and was all like hey this is better than i thought. =)

Looking at it more and reading your post, i feel that it can easily play the aggressive role or the support role equally as well.

I actually got wrecked by a support hawlucha in a double battle last week.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 11:48 PM
Nolafus
Aspiring Writer, or something...

I used Hawlucha as a physical sweeper before Pokebank kicked in for Smogon. It was really good with the combination of flying gem + acrobatics + unburden. Not to mention swords dance. In other words, I think it's pretty good. Will it make it to OU? I don't think so, but it's a threat for sure. If you play it right that is.

Once Pokebank opens and the flying gem is introduced again, I'll be testing Hawlucha out again and seeing if it can still kick butt when the hype is over.

PC SisterPair
Previously, Slayr231
Old November 24th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Zaroas
Dragon's Might

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayr231 View Post
I used Hawlucha as a physical sweeper before Pokebank kicked in for Smogon. It was really good with the combination of flying gem + acrobatics + unburden. Not to mention swords dance. In other words, I think it's pretty good. Will it make it to OU? I don't think so, but it's a threat for sure. If you play it right that is.

Once Pokebank opens and the flying gem is introduced again, I'll be testing Hawlucha out again and seeing if it can still kick butt when the hype is over.
I'm fairly sure that's impossible due to Pokebank being unable to transfer items, though I suppose we'll see if the Flying Gem is introduced in the future. Power Herb + Sky Attack may be a much more gimmicky approach to Unburden abuse but it may be too gimmicky. In regards to Hawlucha itself, it certainly has potential, though I'm not sure if it'll be good enough to make it to OU - One reason being one of the most common threats this generation, Aegislash, resists both of its STABs and can use it to setup.

Y Team: Volcarona - Garchomp - Tyranitar - Starmie - Alakazam - Lucario
Old November 24th, 2013, 06:44 AM
halcyonic
hates bulk up talonflame
Community Supporter

ahh the gimmicky skyherb set :p it would be forced to rely on high jump kick for a (kinda) reliable stab move unless it decides to run acrobatics on the fourth slot.

also, i never knew pokebank was unable to transfer items :o that sucks a lot :<

sword art online II
phantom bullet

Last edited by halcyonic; November 24th, 2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old November 25th, 2013, 12:59 PM
zygardian harbinger
The One and Only

Nature: Adamant
Hawlucha's good, granted, but I don't think that it will make OU... I haven't seen it used yet.

Old November 25th, 2013, 03:14 PM
.Gamer
»»───knee─►
Community Supporter Tier 2

Nature: Jolly
- Username: .gamer

- Answer to current topic: (I guess Hawlucha?) It's a mediocre pokemon for OU imo. Cool typing, decent moves, great speed. 97 Attack is very low for OU when you have MegaScizor/Heracross running around. Even without megamons if you play regular OU, you are outclassed by a long list of Pokemon and beat by many.

- Experience in competitive battling: Started in DPP, played lots of DPP, Adv and Gen 1. Used to come 'round these parts religiously a few years ago, then I lost interest in Gen 5 because of non-dedicated leads and team preview. Also I took a pretty extensive break after Mence was banned. Gen 6 seems interesting and is fun so I'm back for now. I'll probably be gone again in January once the new semester starts.

- Favourite Pokemon(s): Ampharos, Absol, Heracross

- Preferred playstyle/core: Generally some type of stall-ish team. I like bulky mons and prediction. In DPP I used stall almost exclusively. Now I guess I'm doing more of a bulky offense until I learn the metagame more, and I'll probably go back to stall. HO teams are dumb.

- Extra: I'm in university right now so I get really busy and forget about mons. :(
Old November 25th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Hikamaru
the hamster
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I think Hawlucha is a very interesting Pokemon, but I believe the reason it may not make the cut for OU is primarily due to not being able to make full use of Acrobatics due to the current non-existence of the elemental gems (and items can't be transferred by Pokemon Bank) and the presence of Aegislash, which resists both of its STAB moves.

However, to make up for the lack of gems, it can still use a consumable item to take advantage of Unburden not to mention Acrobatics still has a solid 110 BP when no item is held. Still don't think it'll be OU material though, because it has a few common weaknesses as well.

paired with awolfsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | profile | credit | supporter

Old November 26th, 2013, 01:52 AM
Exile
blvck haze 2001
Community Supporter

- Username: Karpman
- Answer to current topic: Aegislash
- Experience in competitive battling: I started in Early 2011, sort of on and off though, i don't think i've played for more than 6 months without quitting
- Favourite Pokemon(s): Bayleef, Garchomp, Aurorus, Shuckle
- Preferred playstyle/core: Defense
- Extra:

seems kind of silly to have a group for competitive battling in a COMPETITIVE BATTLING FORUM but i digress lol

paired to kaori & vrai

Last edited by Exile; November 26th, 2013 at 02:08 AM.
Old November 26th, 2013, 03:17 AM
Ársa
k.

How about changing the topic to promote discussion? Like proposing out-of-the-ordinary or gimmicky sets?

Victreebel @ Salac Berry
Modest
8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Gluttony

Substitute
Belch
Solarbeam
Sleep Powder / Weather Ball / Giga Drain

Obviously needs to be run under sun. 8 HP EV's with 31 HP IV's lets Salac activate after a single substitute. In doing that, you also active Belch. A 120 BP STAB move coming off 100 base SpA can't be scoffed at. This set has 4MSS in that it needs Sleep Powder to somewhat guarantee a set-up, yet you then lose coverage. Can also try with Chlorophyll + Petaya (more powerful) however you would need to sub further down without Gluttony.

What about some possible weakness policy sets? (See: solid rock Carracosta / Aggron / Camerupt) Or even ability capsule - is that ever useful? Can we find something that.. may have at least gimmicky use?

Old November 26th, 2013, 03:20 AM
Exile
blvck haze 2001
Community Supporter

weakness policy aegislash is a pretty badass set

paired to kaori & vrai
Old November 30th, 2013, 06:21 AM
halcyonic
hates bulk up talonflame
Community Supporter

ahh sorry for inactivity guys, so yea, welcome to the club, gamer and karpman! btw tourney is still undecided, so, would you guys like pokebank ou or some other tier? all battles will be conducted on our server on pokemon showdown fyi ;3

sword art online II
phantom bullet

Old November 30th, 2013, 06:32 AM
Ársa
k.

Pokebank OU is a little bland. Spice things up a bit. Either UU, or something like that 'bingo' tourney that I saw going around somewhere. Use something like this to give people a word / 6 letters to make a team from.

THAT would be fun.

Old November 30th, 2013, 06:51 AM
.Gamer
»»───knee─►
Community Supporter Tier 2

Nature: Jolly
Gen 6 UU doesn't really exist yet. The game is fairly new so the usage stats and metagame as a whole are still kind of ambiguous. I don't predict we'll have UU as a serious tier until about January / February, once OU settles and Pokemon are shuffled around to their respective tiers.
Old November 30th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Exile
blvck haze 2001
Community Supporter

im all for pokebank ou, might be cool to get some wifi stuff going if everyone has the games

paired to kaori & vrai
Old December 2nd, 2013, 02:50 PM
wolf
on reduced activity

Mind if I change or add another topic?

How well did XY succeed in balancing the metagame? Do you think it halted the power creep to some degree? Was the Fairy-type necessary? What do you think XY could have done better in regard to this?

Oh, and I'm making a major official tournament in a week or so for what it's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ársa View Post
The issue is that Charizard Y takes up a MegaEvo slot that Ninetails doesn't. Considering the weather nerf, I wouldn't be half-surprised if teams started running both Ninetails/Charizard Y to ensure the sun was maintained. Especially because in and of itself, Charizard is one of the bigger beneficiaries of it.
Ahhh yeah, I forgot about Mega Charizard Y taking up a MEvo slot. That's a very major distinction. Even more so considering Mega Houndoom seems very threatening in sun.

pc battle server • skype: awolffromspace • avatar source
Old December 2nd, 2013, 02:57 PM
Nolafus
Aspiring Writer, or something...

How well did XY succeed in balancing the metagame?

I think it balanced out the game a little bit, but not a whole lot. I mean, they really could have done a better job powering up the fairies. There's only a select few worth using, which means it's going to be easier for teams to counter because there's less variation on what to counter. I think X&Y did their jobs well, but not as well as they could have.

PC SisterPair
Previously, Slayr231
Old December 2nd, 2013, 03:03 PM
dreyko
Isolated System.

I'm not sure X/Y balanced the meta game all too much, even with the nerfs to weather, moves base power, etc. I still feel the meta is shifted towards aggressive strategies as of now, especially with some of the new megas that are excellent wall breakers.

Faerie was a weird inclusion in my opinion. I can't really pinpoint why, but i dont think it had much to do with the dragon type. While i enjoy new pokemon and types of pokemon, i agree they could have done a better job with the faeries.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 04:10 PM
Ooka
<3
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Ooka
Pretty hard question to answer I think, at least at this point. While weather is gone, which definitely over-centralized everything, we got Mega Evolution. Personally though, the metagame is a lot more balanced now, there seems to be counters to pretty much everything, nothing except a couple Megas (That will probably have their items banned soon) run through teams, so I do feel like once Pokebank is out and everything settles down it'll be a much better generation than 5.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 06:17 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Joining:

Username: PlatinumDude
Topic question answer: I'd say that Greninja, Talonflame and Aegislash will become OU staples because Greninja essentially gains STAB on (most of) its moves with Protean, Aegislash runs a multitude of sets to take advantage of Stance Change and Talonflame compensates for its middling Attack with Swords Dance/Choice Band-boosted Flare Blitzes and (priority-induced from Gale Wings) Brave Birds.
Experience: I got into competitive battling since Platinum. I can provide good advice for teams; though I don't battle often, I'm not that bad at it.
Favorite Pokemon: Gallade, Greninja, Excadrill, Lucario
Preferred playstyle: offensive in some way or another.

And as an announcement, Gengarite is banned in OU. How does anyone here feel about this?

Old December 2nd, 2013, 10:38 PM
halcyonic
hates bulk up talonflame
Community Supporter

was wondering when you would join welcome aboard i know, sounds crappy platinum.

and xy did balance out the meta imo. pfft, all the others above already covered the reasons why :p and the ban of the gengarite? meh :/

btw wolf looking forward to the tourney :]

sword art online II
phantom bullet

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here