Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology
Reload this Page [Reaction]Microsoft stops supports on XP

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Old November 20th, 2013 (07:55 AM).
Kakarot1212
Awesome as always...

Nature: Naughty
Quote originally posted by perthskies:
Windows XP, so nostalgic. When it was first released I was sad it moved away from MS-DOS underneath yet escatic that it was so much more stable and didn't BSOD anywhere near as much as Windows 95/98.

It was also the bane of many web developers because the first version had Internet Explorer 6 bundled. xD

To answer your question Nutsy, my response is... it's about time! :D
Haha! Yeah, i really think its about time

楓 弘詩
“ Programs must be written for people
to read, and only incidentally for
machines to execute. ”

Pair | Pair| Facebook | Showdown | PHO | Twitter
| Text Hex Convert v2.1.1 |
Old November 20th, 2013 (11:01 AM).
Axeliira
Buoysel is best 🍐

Nature: Brave
Quote originally posted by ZachLMedia:
Maybe I'm just being really picky here, but I would really like to see some reasoning behind why you say that, even if it means comparisons. Because I find Windows Vista, 7 and even 8 to be just as user friendly, if not, more user friendly than XP.
I guess he meant because XP had so much simplicity in terms of access. There was a start button, the buttons were easier to read, as well as text. With 8, it took a long while for people like my computer-illiterate parents to get used to the new GUI. They're used to the start button at the corner and they keep asking if I got rid of it. -___-

7 serves as a better alternative to upgrade (Vista too, buuuuuut I would stay away if I were you lol).

Old November 20th, 2013 (11:26 AM).
MKGirlism
3DS and Wii U Game Developer

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to MKGirlism
Actually, I liked Vista better than XP.
I mean, at least it was easier to configure everything on Vista.
Old November 20th, 2013 (11:30 AM). Edited November 20th, 2013 by Cassino.
Cassino
The Old Gang

Nature: Serious
I'm of the opinion that for as long as intellectual property rights are held to a product, it should continue to be supported or those rights should be relinquished. A decent start would be for every one of Microsoft's operating systems to see a support life about as long as XP's. I'm not convinced that they need to release a new system every 2–3 years.
Old November 20th, 2013 (11:36 AM).
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Quote originally posted by Cassino:
I'm of the opinion that for as long as intellectual property rights are held to a product, it should continue to be supported or those rights should be relinquished.
Rights should be relinquished to who? This one is actually a pretty good question when you think about it, but in the end, someone will have to put up the support burden. Remember that resources aren't infinite.

A good start would be for every one of Microsoft's operating systems to see a support life as long as XP's. I'm not convinced that they need to make a new OS every 2–3 years.
...um, they are? (Windows 8.0 does not count as 8.1 is effectively a Service Pack.)
Old November 20th, 2013 (11:42 AM).
MKGirlism

And yet Windows 8.1 is widely considered as Windows 8's successor.
Also, there was no Windows 8.0, just Windows 8.
Old November 20th, 2013 (11:54 AM).
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by MKGirlism:
I think I'm going to have a hard time trying to decide between 8 and 8.x for Windows 8 in general.
Old November 20th, 2013 (05:47 PM).
Kakarot1212
Awesome as always...

Nature: Naughty
BTW what's the difference between 8 or 8.1??
Is there any system change??

楓 弘詩
“ Programs must be written for people
to read, and only incidentally for
machines to execute. ”

Pair | Pair| Facebook | Showdown | PHO | Twitter
| Text Hex Convert v2.1.1 |
Old November 20th, 2013 (06:14 PM).
Tsutarja
not so smug

Nature: Jolly
Guys, please try not to derail the conversation from the original topic please. Thanks.
Old November 20th, 2013 (06:48 PM).
Leuram
Fox says what I say it says

Nature: Modest
I work in manufacturing and from experience I understand that providing support for outdated technology is a giant pain and does not end up netting a worthwhile profit. Providing updates and support for the three most recent operating systems seems fair to me, however unfortunate it may be for India.

From the industry side, security is a major factor and the older the operating system the easier it is to hack. Not even necessarily because of the operating system itself, but also because many users get comfortable with older versions of applications/software or (IE for example) cannot access updates, which in turn creates additional security risks. In a wireless world, I personally would prefer my bank have current technology to keep my money safe from unauthorized remote access.

I'm down with it!
Old November 21st, 2013 (01:45 AM). Edited November 21st, 2013 by Twiggy.
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

I just realized that Microsoft is practically supporting 5 client operating systems (XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1) and 5 server operating systems (2003, 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2) at the same time right now (4/4 if you consolidate 8.x and 2012 R2 releases). That's commitment to ya!

Too bad nobody can really hold all that weight by themselves. Something's gonna give.
Old November 25th, 2013 (01:18 PM). Edited November 25th, 2013 by Cassino.
Cassino
The Old Gang

Nature: Serious
Quote originally posted by ♪Twiggy♪:
Rights should be relinquished to who? This one is actually a pretty good question when you think about it, but in the end, someone will have to put up the support burden. Remember that resources aren't infinite.
The public domain, I would like to think. If there is any particular reason not to do this, I would be interested to know.

Quote originally posted by ♪Twiggy♪:
...um, they are? (Windows 8.0 does not count as 8.1 is effectively a Service Pack.)
Well, even if we only look at the apparently major versions, listed below, their release years are less spread out than I care for. I don't feel computer technology has progressed enough between them that every single version would necessarily introduce meaningful novelty to the end-user.

1.0: 1985
2.0: 1987
3.0: 1990
4.0/95: 1995
5.0/2000: 2000
[significant gap only here]
6.0/Vista: 2007
7.0: 2009
8.0: 2012
Old November 25th, 2013 (01:29 PM).
Vincent
It's not a bad thing ;D

Nature: Bashful
You will be missed XP... Still gonna use you tho.. Crappy PC can't support 7... But seriously though I never used the automatic updates because I usually turn them off. Its really a pain to do so...

Leave your LOVE at the door.
Leave your heart on the
floor.
And if you leave your heart on the floor.
Leave your tears let em' pour.

Old November 25th, 2013 (02:30 PM).
MKGirlism

1.0: 1985
2.0: 1987
3.0: 1990
4.0/95: 1995
5.0/2000: 2000
[significant gap only here]
6.0/Vista: 2007
7.0: 2009
8.0: 2012
Let me correct you.

Windows 1.0 to Windows Me were based on Windows 9x, which was based on MS-DOS.
Windows NT used to be a Business Class Windows Kernel, but since Windows XP, it's been used by everyone.

Let's explain it a bit more clear.
Left = Home users.
Right = Business users.

Windows 1.0 <-> Windows NT 1
Windows 2.0 <-> Windows NT 2
Windows 3.x <-> Windows NT 3
Windows 95 <-> Windows NT 4
Windows 98(SE) <-> Windows NT 4
Windows Me <-> Windows 2000 (Windows NT 5.0)
Windows XP Home <-> Windows Professional (Windows NT 5.1)
Windows Vista HB/HP/Ulti <-> Windows Vista Pro/Ent/Ulti (Windows NT 6.0)
Windows 7 HP/Ulti <-> Windows 7 Pro/Ulti (Windows NT 6.1)
Windows 8/RT <-> Windows 8 Pro (Windows NT 6.2)
Windows 8.1/RT <-> Windows 8 Pro (Windows NT 6.3)

The Windows NT Kernel still hasn't got passed 6.x yet.
Eventually, since Windows XP was NT 5, while Windows Vista was NT 6, it caused a lot of Driver issues to the end users, and since anything after Vista is still NT 6, most Vista Drivers also work on 7, 8, and 8.1.

Also, aside from Windows NT and Windows 9x, there's a third Kernel: Windows CE.
Windows CE is for Smartphones.
Old November 25th, 2013 (02:54 PM).
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
XP EOL has been a long time coming. The biggest problem is that people are saving up their zero-day exploits and waiting to release them once it hits EOL. Since XP still has more than 30% marketshare in the consumer market, this is going to affect a significant number of consumers.

Then again, it's software that's over a decade old at this point. My only complaint is that Microsoft hasn't issued an update that simply displays a message that XP will be EOL in April and that consumers should upgrade, perhaps with links to a newer version of Windows compatible with their current computer.

As for me, I'm migrating off Windows where possible. Any new setups I do are going to be either GNU/Linux or hackintosh with, at most, a Windows virtual machine or dual boot. I will not be using Windows as my primary OS in the future.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H. L. Mencken, unsourced

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]
Old November 28th, 2013 (04:05 PM).
Otter Mii-kun
Molly, you're cute ;)

XP's pending end of support has been a long time coming. I, for one, am actually looking forward to its support demise. In a rapidly evolving technology world, it makes little to no sense to run the same desktop operating system for more than 11 years. Similarly, Microsoft has since already ended support for versions of Windows prior to XP (including 3.x, 95, 98, 2000, and ME) years ago, and support for Vista will end in April 2017, and 7 in January 2020.

On a side note, only Windows 1.x and 2.x have been supported longer than XP, those versions having ended support (along with 3.x, NT 3.x and 95) on December 31, 2001. Of course, things were way different in the technology sector back in the 1980s and 1990s. Another sidebar: on EGC's desktop thread, I post screenshots of my desktop, which have Microsoft's XP End of Support countdown gadget, and occasionally make reminders of the time remaining in those posts.
Let's explain it a bit more clear.
Left = Home users.
Right = Business users.

Windows 1.0 <-> Windows NT 1
Windows 2.0 <-> Windows NT 2
Windows 3.x <-> Windows NT 3
Windows 95 <-> Windows NT 4
Actually, the first Windows NT release was version 3.1, in July 1993, having been numbered at 3.1 to match the contemporary regular (DOS-based) Windows version out at that time. Between NT 3.1 and 4.0, there were also versions 3.5 and 3.51. All of the NT 3.x versions had pretty much the same look and feel (user interface) as regular Windows 3.x.
(Side note: Windows NT actually began its development life as a rewrite of OS/2, initially developed jointly by Microsoft and IBM. After the Microsoft/IBM partnership ended in 1991, IBM did their own rewrite of OS/2, releasing it as version 2.0 in 1992, while Microsoft turned what they had written of OS/2 into a offshoot of their existing Windows product.)
Old November 28th, 2013 (04:18 PM).
Corvus of the Black Night
Wild Duck Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
I honestly don't understand why people insist on using XP. Blindies are using incredibly outdated technology such as it and it really holds back the possibilities for improvements on their software. As a developer it is irksome to have to develop for XP because some people won't just jump and upgrade, because there's a lot of benefits to upgrading, such as better system capabilities and more security. Not every update to Windows is great but hell, 7 is a great option and will be maintained for several more years to come.
Old November 28th, 2013 (06:15 PM).
Tsutarja
not so smug

Nature: Jolly
Honestly, the only good thing that XP is left for aside from the legacy look and style is that you can use the same XP serial key on multiple installs, unlike Windows 7 and Vista, in which it's one key per Windows install, but maybe that's just my opinion.
Old November 29th, 2013 (08:22 AM).
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Zach:
Honestly, the only good thing that XP is left for aside from the legacy look and style is that you can use the same XP serial key on multiple installs, unlike Windows 7 and Vista, in which it's one key per Windows install, but maybe that's just my opinion.
Volume licensing keys has always worked that way.

XP keys actually have a disadvantage when it comes to certain things - you can't use an OEM key on retail media, and you can't use a retail key on OEM media. Nasty when it comes to bloatware clearing.
Old November 29th, 2013 (08:31 AM).
MKGirlism

I've worked with Volume License Keys, even Windows 7 was unlimited in its usage, using VLK Licenses.
We needed to have these kind of Keys, as we had to (re-)install about 600 Laptops per month.
Old November 29th, 2013 (08:55 AM).
Buoysel
I have no idea what I'm doing
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by Zach:
Actually you can activate Windows with the same key twice every 90 days. I believe there is a limit up to 5 times.

Twitter

My Website

Pear

Blog

Megan

Inspired by Windows
Old November 29th, 2013 (10:19 AM).
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Buoysel:
Actually you can activate Windows with the same key twice every 90 days. I believe there is a limit up to 5 times.
Actually, things are a bit complicated. As long as it's the same or similar machine, it'll pass. Always.

Even if it doesn't, an automated phone call will fix it fast.

Sometimes, when you upgrade to a better edition (but not a newer version), activation might spontaneously fail, too. If it happens, just retype your product key. Then it'll get itself fixed up, too.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links