The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Technology & Internet

Notices

Technology & Internet The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 25th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Even though there's no such thing as a Black Friday over here, I'm thinking of upgrading both my internal and external storage.

Not enough space is annoying. SSDs were never an option, so I'm thinking of going with a 1 TB laptop drive and some kind of external drive that's roomy enough - perhaps 4 TB? (Though, going above 2 TB would probably mean going 3.5" and powered...)
Old November 25th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Zach
Sniiiii~

Nature: Jolly
Hnnnnng I forgot what it was like to be on DSL internet.. I'm on a DSL connection at a relatives' house now and I forgot how it felt to see images wipe and appear on screen compared to just instantly appearing with my fiber connection. :p
Fairy
Old November 26th, 2013, 12:23 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachLMedia View Post
Hnnnnng I forgot what it was like to be on DSL internet.. I'm on a DSL connection at a relatives' house now and I forgot how it felt to see images wipe and appear on screen compared to just instantly appearing with my fiber connection. :p
Still quite a lot better than 56K-like which I sometimes relieve (to my dismay) when the 3G networks fizzle out.
Old November 26th, 2013, 05:38 AM
Buoysel
net start w3svc

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganium90 View Post
*bump*

So black friday is coming, you guys! (well, for the US that is), and obviously the most "hot" things this year (and every year) are tech gadgets. I'm looking at some leaked black friday ads and I saw that Best Buy's going to sell a few laptops under $200, 55 inch televisions under $500 (compared to the $700 my dad went and bought under a couple years ago), and much more. Although Walmart has it a bit cheaper I think, I better go review that leaked ad sometime later.

Anyone planning on daring themselves to go for these cheaper tech awesomeness? Or are you guys waiting for cyber monday?
Microcenter is going to be selling the Surface RT for $179 with touch cover. I am so tempted, but I want the Nokia Lumia 2520. That's $499, I'm having a real hard time not going with the Surface.
Old November 26th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quilzel View Post
Microcenter is going to be selling the Surface RT for $179 with touch cover. I am so tempted, but I want the Nokia Lumia 2520. That's $499, I'm having a real hard time not going with the Surface.
It all depends on these two things: Can you live with the Surface being "last year's model" (even though it's perfectly good), and with no mobile data? Or must you have the kickstand?

That said, there's practically nothing that the Surface can't do that the 2520 can, though it'll be slower.
Old November 26th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Buoysel
net start w3svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪Twiggy♪ View Post
It all depends on these two things: Can you live with the Surface being "last year's model" (even though it's perfectly good), and with no mobile data? Or must you have the kickstand?

That said, there's practically nothing that the Surface can't do that the 2520 can, though it'll be slower.
I went to the Microsoft Store and played with the Sruface, Surface 2, and the Lumia, The lumia is very light, and the mobile data would be nice, but I can hotspot my phone, The Surface 2, probably has the nicest, screen, and that kickstand is nice. The speakers on the Lumia where better (because the speaker grill was on the front of the tablet, and not the side (Surface)).

The problem is, I am not 100% sold on RT just yet. I think it will work for me, but until I have the device I don't know for sure.

Microcenter is no longer offering the tablet pre-order online. I have to work Blackfriday morning, and I doubt they will be left when I get off at 3pm. The Microsoft store will be selling the same tablet for $199, I might have to stop by there Thursday evening.
Old November 26th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote:
I went to the Microsoft Store and played with the Sruface, Surface 2, and the Lumia, The lumia is very light, and the mobile data would be nice, but I can hotspot my phone, The Surface 2, probably has the nicest, screen, and that kickstand is nice. The speakers on the Lumia where better (because the speaker grill was on the front of the tablet, and not the side (Surface)).

The problem is, I am not 100% sold on RT just yet. I think it will work for me, but until I have the device I don't know for sure.

Microcenter is no longer offering the tablet pre-order online. I have to work Blackfriday morning, and I doubt they will be left when I get off at 3pm. The Microsoft store will be selling the same tablet for $199, I might have to stop by there Thursday evening.
One of the things about mobile devices is that if you're able to afford to do so, get the nicest possible device. In case of Surface 2 vs. Lumia 2520, it depends on whether you prefer mobile data or the kickstand. The Lumia 2520 can go really bright outdoors, by the way.
Old November 26th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Buoysel
net start w3svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪Twiggy♪ View Post
One of the things about mobile devices is that if you're able to afford to do so, get the nicest possible device. In case of Surface 2 vs. Lumia 2520, it depends on whether you prefer mobile data or the kickstand. The Lumia 2520 can go really bright outdoors, by the way.
The Surface 2 has a USB 3.0 port. The Lumia has no USB port. The Lumia's stand adds 5 hours of battery, two usb ports, a keyboard, and it props it up. But is more expensive.

Too many decisions.
Old November 26th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote:
The Surface 2 has a USB 3.0 port. The Lumia has no USB port. The Lumia's stand adds 5 hours of battery, two usb ports, a keyboard, and it props it up. But is more expensive.

Too many decisions.
Decisions, huh? Think about it. Are you going to use the tablet more as a tablet, or are you going to use the tablet more as an improvised laptop?

If you care only about mobility, skip the Surfaces.

If you want to be able to use as many things as you can, get the Surface(s).
Old November 26th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Zach
Sniiiii~

I'm still in a decision dilemma right now: get a new laptop or a new and larger-than-19" television set? One is less valuable to me (TV set) while the other is more expensive as well (laptop)..
Fairy
Old November 26th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Aeroblast
Cutting inside like a boss
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
How much is the new laptop? specs?

Old November 26th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Zach
Sniiiii~

No idea, I haven't specifically started looking at laptops yet because I'm still undecided :p
Fairy
Old November 27th, 2013, 12:15 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
No idea, I haven't specifically started looking at laptops yet because I'm still undecided :p
At least we might be able to guide you.

What do you want from your next laptop?
Old November 27th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Cadance
& Shining Armour

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to Cadance
What I'm currently looking for is a new monitor. I'm ready to do some organization and move the TV (in which I use it as a monitor) away (and not use it as both methods anymore haha).

& quilly, I would think about portability and travel when it comes to choosing between the surface and the Lumia 2025. I would personally prefer the surface because you can do anything, either as a laptop and/or as a tablet. plus...come on, it's a deal you can't beat! /shot But alas, as Twiggy mentioned, it depends on HOW you want to use it as.

& zach, any preferences in a laptop? Maybe I can help. :3

DARRELL WALLACE JR.
mudsummer classic 2014 winner | eldora speedway, ohio | july 23, 2014
moderator of fan clubs & groups | battle server moderator

[22:39] ★srinator: ur sig would become so much more better with my name on it
Shining Armour
leave of absence ~ july 26 to aug 3
Old November 27th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Zach
Sniiiii~

Hmm, maybe something with 4+ GB of RAM, at least an i3 or i5 processor, and something with damn good integrated graphics that isn't HP, and can come in at $500-$700 dollars, and of course runs Windows 8 :3

and 1600x900 resolution at least.. 1366x768 is a little small for my liking :/
Fairy
Old November 27th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Cadance
& Shining Armour

Here's two Dell's I found. I was gonna link you to a Toshiba one but none of them fit your resolution requirements lol (or your price range).

This and this.

Both of them are non-touch laptops though, not certain on how you feel about that. One has an i3 while the other has an i5. If you're planning on doing some gaming on your laptop, I would go for the i5.

I'll find others later on~

DARRELL WALLACE JR.

Shining Armour

Last edited by Cadance; November 27th, 2013 at 01:23 PM. Reason: because grammatical errors suck ya know
Old November 27th, 2013, 01:59 PM
リザードン
I'm not listening to you

I can kinda vouch for having a touchscreen on Windows 8. It's awfully annoying using a mouse to operate a touch interface.
Old November 27th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Zach
Sniiiii~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeliira View Post
Here's two Dell's I found. I was gonna link you to a Toshiba one but none of them fit your resolution requirements lol (or your price range).

This and this.

Both of them are non-touch laptops though, not certain on how you feel about that. One has an i3 while the other has an i5. If you're planning on doing some gaming on your laptop, I would go for the i5.

I'll find others later on~
Actually, maybe the Toshiba isn't a bad idea :) do you have a link to that one?
Fairy
Old November 27th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Cadance
& Shining Armour

I found a better one for Toshiba. Worth digging a little deeper.

It's slightly better in terms of storage and memory, but not sure about resolution/graphics.

DARRELL WALLACE JR.

Shining Armour
Old November 27th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Actually, maybe the Toshiba isn't a bad idea :) do you have a link to that one?
I'm on my fourth toshiba laptop. I love them.
Old November 27th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Just remember that resolution isn't everything. Sometimes you might want to keep it low if only because Windows PPI scaling isn't the best thing around, especially if you don't use either IE or Firefox on the desktop. Same thing goes for games - obviously, things run better at a lower resolution, and they look nicer at the native resolution. This is pretty important with mobile chipsets, as they tend to be either fill rate-limited or shader-limited.

Your best bet, though, is to look at the laptops in person, as spec sheets won't tell you anything about the displays themselves aside from size and resolution. Some laptops have incredibly dim LED-backlit displays even though they're not supposed to be. (Most LED-backlit displays I've seen can torch the eyes, but there are still some outliers.)

Open up Notepad and type, too. Get a feel of the keyboard. Is it mushy or bouncy? Does it has good travel? Travel and bounce are relative words with modern keyboard technology, though, and it's pretty easy to make short-travel scissor-switch keyboards which feels more tactile than cheap desktop keyboards.

Try to use the trackpad, too. If the system has a metallic body, keep one hand on the body, while the other hand is using the trackpad to eliminate erratic behaviour. Does it have good acceleration? Try multi-touch gestures, too. The most basic you should try to do is the two-finger scroll and the two-finger click. (If you can't click, tap.)

If the display looks tinted, don't worry - that can be easily fixed with some tweaks with either the GPU's control panel or Windows' own display calibration tools. I wouldn't be too worried with displays with low colour gamut - it's excess colour gamut that's more annoying, and thankfully, it usually affects only AMOLED displays, which you can't find in a laptop.

Some people might prefer matte displays because of their glare resistance, but any glossy display can be converted back and forth with a screen protector of the right size.

Last edited by Twiggy; November 27th, 2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old November 27th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Buoysel
net start w3svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeliira View Post
I would personally prefer the surface because you can do anything, either as a laptop and/or as a tablet. plus...come on, it's a deal you can't beat! /shot But alas, as Twiggy mentioned, it depends on HOW you want to use it as.
It's the Surface RT, and the Lumia runs Windows RT, so they are both Windows RT, I would still be pretty limited.

My problem is that if I have a laptop, I want to use it more, and then my computer at home gets like no use. It is a decently specked machine too. (i7, 8GB RAM, GTX 570, SSD and HDDs)

I don't want to waste the resources of my desktop and limit myself to a laptop. I was thinking of going with a tablet so I would be forced to use my desktop for and then hopefully I will not fill that I have wasted my money on the i7.

Ironically as I sit here at my dad's house on my old Chromebook, I now remember back to when I thought this thing would be all I need, boy was I wrong. You see, for the most part, as long as the only thing I want to do is browse the web, then yes, this thing is awesome. Killer battery life, and it charges fast too, but when I really needed it to do something, I found that I could not print from it by plugging it into a printer. I also would have a hard time using this thing for a presnetion or something. I think that I am going to go ahead and get a decent laptop. I will use that for the most part, and I will just host a Minecraft server and or Fold@Home with my desktop.

tl;dr
I just convinced myself to get a laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC View Post
I'm on my fourth toshiba laptop. I love them.
I'm a fan of Acer, they have absolutely terrible customer service, but you probably won't need them, as their laptops are tanks. I have had my old Acer Aspire 5315 for nearly 5 years now, the orignal battery still lasts nearly an hour, the only thing I have ever had go wrong with it is the WD HDD. I have had two of them fail. I don't trust WD anymore.
Old November 27th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote:
It's the Surface RT, and the Lumia runs Windows RT, so they are both Windows RT, I would still be pretty limited.

My problem is that if I have a laptop, I want to use it more, and then my computer at home gets like no use. It is a decently specked machine too. (i7, 8GB RAM, GTX 570, SSD and HDDs)

I don't want to waste the resources of my desktop and limit myself to a laptop. I was thinking of going with a tablet so I would be forced to use my desktop for and then hopefully I will not fill that I have wasted my money on the i7.

Ironically as I sit here at my dad's house on my old Chromebook, I now remember back to when I thought this thing would be all I need, boy was I wrong. You see, for the most part, as long as the only thing I want to do is browse the web, then yes, this thing is awesome. Killer battery life, and it charges fast too, but when I really needed it to do something, I found that I could not print from it by plugging it into a printer. I also would have a hard time using this thing for a presnetion or something. I think that I am going to go ahead and get a decent laptop. I will use that for the most part, and I will just host a Minecraft server and or Fold@Home with my desktop.

tl;dr
I just convinced myself to get a laptop.
At least, all things considered, even a Windows RT device can still do more things than a Chromebook. (Mostly because it can truly run apps offline.)

I think x86 hybrids might be the future, but I'm not ready to give up my HDDs, optical drives, and keyboards yet. Not when mobile data is still expensive.

Either way, have you ever thought of eventually giving up the desktop to someone who needs it more and get a *gasp* gaming Ultrabook?

Quote:
I'm a fan of Acer, they have absolutely terrible customer service, but you probably won't need them, as their laptops are tanks. I have had my old Acer Aspire 5315 for nearly 5 years now, the orignal battery still lasts nearly an hour, the only thing I have ever had go wrong with it is the WD HDD. I have had two of them fail. I don't trust WD anymore.
I'm very afraid of the Acer brand these days. To me, they scream "cut corners", especially with their poor showing of the first 8" Windows tablet. Bad first impressions don't make a lot of new customers. I used to have an Acer laptop back in the Vista days, too, and the less said about it, the better.

I never had a preference for HDD brands seeing as HDDs tend to have a higher failure rate than usual compared to other PC hardware, aside from SSDs.
Old November 27th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Buoysel
net start w3svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Either way, have you ever thought of eventually giving up the desktop to someone who needs it more and get a *gasp* gaming Ultrabook?
Never Never Never! They are expensive, and you can't upgrade them, plus they cost more than my desktop.

When one thing gets outdated on my desktop, I can upgrade it. Every few years I can upgrade the whole thing. I think I will go with a cheaper laptop, that way if it gets lost/stolen/broken I am not out 2k. Not to mention, laptops don't have nearly the life of a desktop. Laptops are being moved around tend to just get treated rougher than desktops. This is not really a laptop design problem, but more of a life problem.

Quote:
I'm very afraid of the Acer brand these days. To me, they scream "cut corners", especially with their poor showing of the first 8" Windows tablet. Bad first impressions don't make a lot of new customers. I used to have an Acer laptop back in the Vista days, too, and the less said about it, the better..
I am the same way with Dell. I had one, and it was a POS. but I am considering a Dell this go, simply because they are actually pretty cheap. I don't like HP, and I want customer service this go around, so I am going to try Dell.
Old November 27th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote:
Never Never Never! They are expensive, and you can't upgrade them, plus they cost more than my desktop.
Hehe. Nothing beats the customizability of a built desktop, but then again, there's the "in a single unit" advantage of a laptop. Any hardware problems go to the exact same place.

Quote:
When one thing gets outdated on my desktop, I can upgrade it. Every few years I can upgrade the whole thing. I think I will go with a cheaper laptop, that way if it gets lost/stolen/broken I am not out 2k. Not to mention, laptops don't have nearly the life of a desktop. Laptops are being moved around tend to just get treated rougher than desktops. This is not really a laptop design problem, but more of a life problem.
I know it pretty well. I tend to treat my portable devices pretty rough. Even with the right bags and cases, if you're rough, you might be looking at a repair bill pretty soon.

Quote:
I am the same way with Dell. I had one, and it was a POS. but I am considering a Dell this go, simply because they are actually pretty cheap. I don't like HP, and I want customer service this go around, so I am going to try Dell.
Just do remember that you do get what you pay for. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to pay a bit more upfront to have nicer things. (The most important thing is still to actually use the laptop in person.)
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links