Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 27th, 2013 (11:10 PM).
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Dells not that bad you guys. Most laptops I've run across are pretty durable. HP's and Fujitsu's are the ones you avoid, with Toshiba's and Vaio's having a bit of a premium price.

#328 Trapinch
Supporter Collab January 2015
Doctor Who Fan Club

Old November 27th, 2013 (11:14 PM). Edited November 27th, 2013 by Twiggy.
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Quote originally posted by Elendil:
Dells not that bad you guys. Most laptops I've run across are pretty durable. HP's and Fujitsu's are the ones you avoid, with Toshiba's and Vaio's having a bit of a premium price.
Hehe.

Either way, you guys might want to take a look at this article while thinking about your next laptop.

My laptop actually had a broken lid within the first year. Got it fixed easily, though. It feels weird knowing that the base of the laptop is older than the lid!
Old November 28th, 2013 (01:46 AM).
Sora
The Idealist Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
HP Laptop - 2 years
Dell Laptop - 3.5 years and still running... fairly smoothly. Biggest problem is the fan and the battery (which I really just need to replace) but overall? Not bad!

That said I prefer Dell to HP anyday. Not saying Dell is great since I know people who have had a bad experience with one but I have also known a person or two who still has a Dell after several years so hit or miss? Though that goes for most laptops anyways.

your emotion will always be
my companion
Old November 28th, 2013 (05:37 AM).
Alinthea
James Sunderland
Community Supporter

In my eyes, you get what you pay for. If you spend £300 on a laptop it isn't going to last that long, because it will normally have been build with cheap parts.

From experience, Dell have been awful for me, service and build wise on laptops. HP have been decent for me, but I haven't had one in a long time, as my laptops will always be Macbooks from now on; I pay more but get more in the long run. I have had my current Macbook Pro for 4 years now and it is still running smoothly and never had problems with it.
Old November 28th, 2013 (06:17 AM).
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Sometimes it does make me wonder whether paying the equivalent price of a MacBook (Air/Pro) for a Windows laptop gives you something really good.
Old November 28th, 2013 (07:29 PM).
Kanzler
naughty biscotti
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
How are Lenovo Thinkpads in terms of the price then? It's a Windows laptop

I'm looking to buy a new laptop this December, under $1000. If there's something I learned, I need a laptop with durability and long battery life. I don't feel like spending on a Macbook, but what are the competitors other than Lenovo? It's the only one I know because a friend of mine has one, and it works for her. I've only had one laptop all my life so far, so I don't really know the market.
#363 Spheal
mod of nothing
paired to Axeliira
Old November 29th, 2013 (05:40 AM).
quilzel
net start w3svc

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by BlahISuck:

I'm looking to buy a new laptop this December, under $1000. If there's something I learned, I need a laptop with durability and long battery life. I don't feel like spending on a Macbook, but what are the competitors other than Lenovo? It's the only one I know because a friend of mine has one, and it works for her. I've only had one laptop all my life so far, so I don't really know the market.
It really depends on what you want. Apple's low end laptops are actually not too overly priced. If you are going for that slim sleek look, then I would suggest you search around for an ultra book. Acer and Asus makes some really nice ultra books.

As for me, I think I am going to look around at laptops locally and got with a sub $500 laptop. I tend to be rough on mobile technology, so if I don't get something made of plastic, I'm probably going to break it.
Old November 29th, 2013 (05:42 AM).
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Try looking in the price range of $800 to $999. Last thing you want is a plastic horror laptop that doesn't do what you want it to do.

Anyway, besides durability and long battery life, what else do you look for in the laptop? Being able to play games (at respectable settings instead of minimal settings)? Fast boot times? A nicer display than the standard 1366x768 TN panel? Hybrid? Optical drives?
Old November 29th, 2013 (06:57 AM).
Kanzler
naughty biscotti
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by quilzel:
Apple's low end laptops are actually not too overly priced.
How did you manage to put Apple and low end in the same sentence without blowing your brain up in the process?

Boot time is pretty good. Other features don't do much for me though, you can't really fit a higher resolution than 1366x768 on a sub-15 inch display without the dpi getting too high and the gui not making sense (unless windows 8 addresses this). I'm not a fan of touch myself, since I get around fine with keyboard and mouse (also because I mostly type on my laptop).
#363 Spheal
mod of nothing
paired to Axeliira
Old November 29th, 2013 (07:13 AM).
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

It might be a better idea if you listed what models you want. I will be able to work from there.
Old November 29th, 2013 (07:14 AM).
Kanzler
naughty biscotti
Community Supporter

Ohhh XD I already bought it XP A Lenovo Thinkpad t440p with a i5-4200 CPU (only upgrade I made) for $843, after taxes and environmental fees it came to $955
#363 Spheal
mod of nothing
paired to Axeliira
Old November 29th, 2013 (07:25 AM).
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Okay need help. Updated Firefox, now won't let pages redirect or open new windows(ex photos on gsm arena are pop up windows), what do I do?

#328 Trapinch
Doctor Who Fan Club

Old November 29th, 2013 (07:33 AM). Edited November 29th, 2013 by Twiggy.
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Elendil:
Okay need help. Updated Firefox, now won't let pages redirect or open new windows(ex photos on gsm arena are pop up windows), what do I do?
You might want to try reinstalling Firefox.

Strangely, I can't find anything that specifies that kind of behaviour in the user-friendly Options dialogue box.
Old November 29th, 2013 (09:30 AM).
Buoysel
Will work for Bandwidth
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
How did you manage to put Apple and low end in the same sentence without blowing your brain up in the process?
Alt Account:
Macbook Air is ~$1000 USD Comes with a Haswell i5 and the battery lasts longer than 10 hours, there is not another laptop out there that is quite that good for that price.

Quote originally posted by Twiggy:
Try looking in the price range of $800 to $999. Last thing you want is a plastic horror laptop that doesn't do what you want it to do.
Price isn't necessarily everything. Look for a laptop that at least has an 'i' series processor (i5, i3, or i7),. It will offer the best performance, Also don't get anything with less than 4GB of RAM, Anything else is brand/style preference.

Twitter

My Website

Pear

Blog

Megan

Inspired by Windows
Old November 29th, 2013 (09:42 AM).
Kanzler
naughty biscotti
Community Supporter

Mine was $843 before taxes, Lenovo durability and build quality, i5-4200M (standard power mobile processor vs low power @ up to 3.1 Ghz), 4 GB Ram but upgradeable, 500 GB of HDD running at 7200 RPM (which is soo hard to find on laptops nowadays), and will probably give me the advertised 7 hours of battery life. Maybe 8 or 9 given that I usually turn brightness on minimum and the screen isn't bad either. Its weight is 4 pounds, which is better than 5 pounds as I have it right now, but either weight is lower than the weight of an M4 carbine (~6 lbs) so it's honestly okay for laptops to be heavy.
#363 Spheal
mod of nothing
paired to Axeliira
Old November 29th, 2013 (09:57 PM).
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Quote originally posted by quilzel:
Alt Account:
Macbook Air is ~$1000 USD Comes with a Haswell i5 and the battery lasts longer than 10 hours, there is not another laptop out there that is quite that good for that price.

Price isn't necessarily everything. Look for a laptop that at least has an 'i' series processor (i5, i3, or i7),. It will offer the best performance, Also don't get anything with less than 4GB of RAM, Anything else is brand/style preference.
Almost every laptop has an "i" series processor if it's got an Intel chip these days, since the "i" series has been around for the mainstream for just over 4 years (I remember the i5 processors debuting shortly after I started my first year of college - and Wikipedia's dates indicate that they were first released commercially in September 2009).

In other news, I just bought myself a WD My Book 3 TB drive at the price point of $109.99. Anyone think I'll end up regretting this?
Old November 29th, 2013 (09:58 PM).
Kanzler
naughty biscotti
Community Supporter

How much pr0ns do you have to require 3TB? I don't have the warez to justify such a purpose myself.
#363 Spheal
mod of nothing
paired to Axeliira
Old November 29th, 2013 (10:15 PM).
Team Fail
Find your way
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote originally posted by donavannj:
Almost every laptop has an "i" series processor if it's got an Intel chip these days, since the "i" series has been around for the mainstream for just over 4 years (I remember the i5 processors debuting shortly after I started my first year of college - and Wikipedia's dates indicate that they were first released commercially in September 2009).

In other news, I just bought myself a WD My Book 3 TB drive at the price point of $109.99. Anyone think I'll end up regretting this?
I think I have the same model you have, although I paid around $10 more after my employee discounts and stuff. It's pretty nice, haven't had any major issues with it.

@BiS: I use mine for Wii ISOs so I can use my USB backup loader with an external drive. Kinda nice because I can put a ton of ISOs on my external drive, rather than hotswapping a ton of USB keys that have various games on them.

Do the best with whatever you can today.
Then tomorrow, you will have surely progressed.
Old November 29th, 2013 (10:22 PM). Edited November 29th, 2013 by donavannj.
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

I just have a lot of physical media that I've made backups of and I'm too lazy to organize it on my existing drives. That and I need to clear things off of my desktop's C:\ drive so I can make a backup copy of it that isn't nearly 1 TB in size, and I have no idea where in my mess of things my cables for my existing hard drives went.

Also because I've made a few recordings of me playing Minecraft for several hours in the past for a YouTube series a friend was uploading and the raw files of those sat at about 30 GB apiece.

And because having several GB of addons for a game is normal for me (Sim City 4 takes up 1.7 GB of space on my hard drive for the base game, while my addons alone take up about 5 GB).

EDIT: Also, I apparently have 90 GB of installed 32-bit programs.
Old November 30th, 2013 (12:26 AM).
Nolafus
Here to stay

Nature: Calm
I remember when I was cleaning out my old computer and I came across a game that I probably spent well over 1,000 hours playing. It was Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, and that had just about 67 GB. The game itself isn't that large, but I guess if you pump enough time and energy into one, it can become pretty big.
Old November 30th, 2013 (01:12 AM).
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Slayr231:
I remember when I was cleaning out my old computer and I came across a game that I probably spent well over 1,000 hours playing. It was Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, and that had just about 67 GB. The game itself isn't that large, but I guess if you pump enough time and energy into one, it can become pretty big.
Over hundreds of save files? I know some games whose save file sizes can get out of hand...
Old November 30th, 2013 (08:01 AM).
Axeliira
Buoysel is best 🍐

Nature: Brave
hnnng dat game. Takes me back, man. I still have Roller Coaster Tycoon 1, which I can actually play it on this computer now because I no longer have problems with the graphics driver unlike my other old computer. >_>

PC games nowadays do require large save files I think. It's outrageous.
that lights up the dark.
leave of absence 2/22 - 2/27
Old November 30th, 2013 (08:49 AM).
Tsutarja
Snivy used Attract~ ♥

Nature: Jolly
I've never really understood why a lot of computer games had save files that saved individually instead of overwriting to the same file over and over again. It just saves space IMO to have a computer game to save its file to one file instead of writing to a new file every time.
Old November 30th, 2013 (08:53 AM).
SS01
#PoC Collab

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SS01
Quote originally posted by Zach:
I've never really understood why a lot of computer games had save files that saved individually instead of overwriting to the same file over and over again. It just saves space IMO to have a computer game to save its file to one file instead of writing to a new file every time.
It's so you could save before every boss, and replay the fights again and again. I may or may not have spent hours doing this on KOTOR 2.
Old November 30th, 2013 (09:19 AM).
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Sometimes what works best for one particular game won't work on another game. How the saves should be handled should be dependent on the game itself.

For most role-playing and simulation games, I'm perfectly OK with separate, distinct save files.

Other games, like racing games, would work better with only one save data.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links