• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Delta Species Challenge δ

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Delta Species Challenge

You may not know this, but some years ago the Pokemon TCG took a major twist by introducing a new kind of Pokemon, known as Delta Species. The Pokemon in question were normal by all means, but had types assigned to them that conflicted with their video game counter parts. For example, Bellossom was Water type. Some were even dual type, like Kingdra with Fire and Steel type. The idea was not hugely popular in the TCG world, but it is an interesting concept none the less! Now, thanks to ROM hacking and randomizers, we can recreate an experience where Pokemon change from their typical natures! The raw end of this is that there is still no way to replicate wholly this change with cartridge games. I will be making a challenge to go with the ROM version though, so no one has to miss out on the fun! So keep an eye out. Welcome, to the Delta Species Challenge!

Delta Species Evolution
(ROM Emulation Based Challenge)

To play this challenge, you will need 3 things:
-A main Pokemon Game ROM
-An emulator that can play your ROM
-The Universal Pokemon Game Randomizer

DO NOT RANDOMIZE THE POKEMON AVAILABLE! This is not a random Pokemon challenge.

If you need help finding a ROM or emulator, this is not the place to ask, nor should you PM me. There is an entire emulation forum on Pokecommunity you should look at if you need help. Sydian will kill me if you ask around General Pokemon Gaming, so don't!

Before you start playing your challenge, you will have to run it through the Randomizer. All settings that I do not specify should be left alone.

Required settings
Remove Trade Evolutions - On (You can't trade using hacked ROMs, so you'll need this)
No Game-Breaking Moves - On (You're going to randomize moves, so this is a must)
Pokemon Types - Random (follow evolutions)
Pokemon Movesets - Random (preferring same type)
TM/HM Compatibility - Random (prefer same type)
Move Tutor Compatibility - Random (prefer same type)

Optional settings
Update Moves
Lower Case Pokemon Names
B/W Exp Patch (Not recommended for Gameboy/Color games, buggy)
Pokemon Abilities - Either with Wonder Guard disabled
Pokemon Base Statistics - Unchanged or Shuffle only

Trainers Pokemon - Unchanged or Type Themed W/ Rival carries starter through game, Try to use Pokemon with similar strength, Don't use legendaries on only

Rules
1. Do not hack Pokemon or items into your possession
2. No Legendary Pokemon on your team
3. Challenge ends when you defeat the Champion (N is a Champion, he beat Alder so he's a Champion, end of story, but you should probably beat Ghetsis too. Ya know, it would be a real bad move to just let him do his thing).

Delta Species Generation
(Cartridge Based Challenge)

This challenge only requires a main series game and an appropriate game system. It can be played on emulators if you desire, though.

The basic idea for this challenge is simple, and has a bit more choice to it than the Evolution version of the challenge. In this challenge, you play using only a single type of move that does not match up with your Pokemon's type, the type is chosen by you, so choose wisely.

Rules
1. Do not hack Pokemon or items into your possession
2. No Legendary Pokemon on your team
3. Challenge ends when you defeat the Champion (N is a Champion, he beat Alder so he's a Champion, end of story, but you should probably beat Ghetsis too. Ya know, it would be a real bad move to just let him do his thing).
4. When you catch a Pokemon you wish to use, you must specify a type of move it can learn that does not match the Pokemon's type, or type it will evolve into. It must only use that type of move offensively after it learns a move of that type.
5. Pokemon may use any Support moves regardless of type.

Username: (I mean your actual username on Pokecommunity!)
Game: (Any main series Pokemon game)
Challenge type: (Evolution or Generation)

My sign up
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Oct 8, 2013
Username: Goomy
Game: Gold
Optionals: Pretty much all of'em
Nuzlocke: No thanks

Wish me luck!
Also, the NatDex option is only for FrLg where not having it makes impossible to evolve non Kanto Pokemon, not RSE

EDIT:
- The starters were Gastly (Fire/Ghost), Gyarados (Steel/???) and something else I don't quite remember
- I picked Gastly, named it Specter (F)
- After the intro part and where I got pokeballs I caught a Macargo (Dragon/Psychic) and theorized Blastoise's type to be Elec/Fly
- I'm currently Slowking/Tyranitar grinding for Falkner

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I have revamped the challenge for ROM play so that it is more appropriate to the name Delta Species Challenge! A Cartridge version is on the way as soon as I can work out the details. Since the rules have drastically changed, anyone who signed up before will need to do so again, and restart their challenge.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
Username: [supporter]†Dementia†[/supporter]
Game: Emerald
Challenge type: ROM
Optionals Selected: All
Oh and you should add the Give National Dex at start option for games lik FR/LG else they won't be able to evolve Pokémon not in their regional Dex.

Last edited:

AngelicPikachu

"We're Ready"
Years
  • Seen Oct 20, 2016
Hmm..I will try this too :)

Username: AngelicPikachu
Game: Pokemon Soul Silver
Challenge Type: Rom
Options:
Base Stats (Shuffled)
Trainers Pokemon Type Themed
Updated Moves

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Username: [supporter]†Dementia†[/supporter]
Game: LeafGreen
Optionals Selected: All
Oh and you should add the Give National Dex at start option for games lik FR/LG else they won't be able to evolve Pokémon not in their regional Dex.
Pokemon aren't randomized so it's unnecessary. Only types are shuffled.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
Pokemon aren't randomized so it's unnecessary. Only types are shuffled.

>.>
<.<
>.>
<.<

*randomizes another ROM because she totally randomized straters and wild Pokémon too*
And I had a Fire/Ice Beautifly as a starter Q.Q that only knew Eruption despite me ticking the game breaking option :|
but... Fire/Ice Beautifly Q~Q

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Added ability randomizations to the optional list. Forgot about it since I was building along with a Crystal ROM.

Changed the end of Johto region games to Champion instead of Red.

Last edited:

TrollShammy80

Loved all Pokemon Since 98'
Years
Username: AngelicPikachu
Game: Pokemon Complex Crystal
Challenge Type: Rom
Options:
Base Stats (Shuffled)
Updated Moves

For the extra challenge with Complex Crystal ^^ wish me luck

Starters *talk about lol;
Chikorita (Dragon/Flying)
Cyndaquil (Fire/Ghost)
Totodile (Grass)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 1, 2016
Username: Green_Okido
Game: Pokemon White
Challenge type: Well I guess cartridge? Since i'm gonna use my r4
Optional Rules: All :D

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I'll give this a try.

Username: Imperator161
Game: Gold
Optional rules: Shuffle base stats, type themed trainer Pokémon

Progress so far:
-Just picked up my starter, Totodile. It's a Fighting/Water type and knows Rolling Kick and Crabhammer.
-Did the beginning stuff, visited Mr. Pokémon, got my Pokedex, etc. The main problem so far is that Hoothoot apparently knows Dragon Rage, which can currently OHKO me. That shouldn't be a problem for too much longer, but it's certainly annoying (though I guess it doesn't fall under game-breaking moves, since I disabled that option--it is a little broken for the very beginning of the game, though). Otherwise, so far, Hoothoot seems like it might be part-dragon, Rattata is weak to fighting, and Spinarak might be part Psychic? Interesting change of pace. Should catch my first Pokémon momentarily.
-Caught my first Pokémon, Rattata. It's Dark, though it only knows normal-type moves right now (Hyper Fang and Scratch).
-Caught Hoothoot. Pure Dragon. Knows Sing and Dragon Rage.
-Beat the first gym.
-Hatched Togepi. It's a fire type with Flame Wheel and Giga Drain.
-Caught Zubat. It's Psychic-type, and knows Confusion and Dream Eater.
-Caught Sandshrew. Poison-type, knows Crabhammer and Poisonpowder.
-Caught Mareep. Bug/Ice with Pursuit and Twinneedle.
-Totodile evolved into Croconaw.
-Beat second gym.
-Beat third gym.
-Hoothoot evolved into Noctowl.
-Caught Nidoran M.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2021
Username: Samurott01
Game: Crystal
Challenge: ROM
Optional rules: All the ones that you mentioned

I'm also doing this as a Nuzlocke. Lord help me.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I continued my quest, defeating several more gym leaders along the way. After collecting my fourth, fifth, and sixth badges in the Johto region, I traveled to Mahogany Town, where I soon learned something was amiss. I traversed rugged terrain to reach the Lake of Rage, home of an irate red Gyarados. After calming the electrifying creature with sleep-inducing spores, I captured it with a Great Ball.

Lance, a powerful trainer (who may or may not use dragon types), accompanied me back to Mahogany Town. Together, we infiltrated Team Rocket's hideout, driving the leaderless band back across the region. After that adventure, my team and I swept the Mahogany Gym.

Upon exiting the gym, I received a disconcerting phone call. Team Rocket had relocated from Mahogany to the Goldenrod City Radio Tower, and appeared to have locked down the city. Dispatching them would require expert assistance, help which I was willing to provide. Checking my team one last time, I headed for Goldenrod, ready to do whatever was necessary to drive the menacing gang from Johto once and for all...

The team (it isn't too stable, but this is who I have in my party as of the end of this session):

Gyarados L31 - Electric
-Thunderpunch
-Thunderbolt
-Heal Bell
-Cross Chop

Noctowl L25 - Dragon
-Dragon Rage
-Twister
-Ice Punch
-Heal Bell

Feraligatr L34 - Fighting/Water
-Headbutt
-Surf
-Karate Chop
-Guillotine

Growlithe L23 - Rock/Flying
-Ancientpower
-Rock Slide
-Razor Leaf
-Fly

Nidorino L16 - Bug/Fighting
-Megahorn
-Steel Wing
-Slash
-Strength

Togetic L31 - Fire
-Flame Wheel
-Giga Drain
-Spore
-Thunderpunch

kingofeds

The Ed-olution is here!
Years
  • Seen Nov 24, 2022
I like seeing randomized challenges like this. I'll hop on board.

Name: kingofeds
Game: FireRed
Optionals: Randomized Abilities (No Wonder Guard)

EDIT: SCRATCH WHAT WAS POSTED HERE... Comp crash made some of my games go missing... Gonna try again.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I arrived in Goldenrod City and headed straight for the Radio Tower. Prof. Elm wasn't kidding about the takeover--there were Team Rocket members everywhere. Fortunately, the ones outdoors seemed oblivious to my presence, so I walked right by a pair of them and in the front door of the looming building.

Unlike the tower's outdoor guards, the gang members inside the building itself refused to let me through without a fight. Still, they posed little challenge, and I quickly disposed of them and climbed the skyscraper. Before long, I reached the top floor, where I found the building's director.

Or so I thought. Actually, the man I encountered was little more than an imposter, prepared to defeat unsuspecting children like myself.

Like the others, though, the Rocket executive was no match for my team. After his defeat, he pointed me towards Goldenrod's underground tunnels, where I found my rival and a new collection of gang members and door-controlling switches. With my powerful Pokémon and my keen intellect, I crushed my opponents, opened the correct doorways, and eventually rescued the Radio Tower's real director.

Although I had saved the director, my work was not yet done. I returned to the Radio Tower and defeated the rest of Team Rocket's troops, freeing the tower from tyranny.

Hailed the savior of the Radio Tower and of Goldenrod City, my work in Johto's largest metropolis was done. I returned to Mahogany Town and headed east, passing through a scenic route until I reached Ice Path. I traversed its treacherous, icy roads, eventually emerging from the labyrinth in Blackthorn City, home to Johto's eighth and final gym leader.

After an exhausting day, my Pokémon and I headed to the Pokémon Center to rest up before our next challenge. Our next stop: Blackthorn Gym. Then, on to the Pokémon League!

The team at the end of this segment:

Feraligatr L37 - Fighting/Water
-Headbutt
-Surf
-Karate Chop
-Guillotine

Gyarados L35 - Electric
-Fire Punch
-Thunderbolt
-Heal Bell
-Cross Chop

Noctowl L29 - Dragon