• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] Pokémon Essentials, version 13 - 2nd December 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Pokémon Essentials, version 13
2nd December 2013

Download

Lucky number 13. I suppose one or two of you might be interested in what's new.

So what's new?

Talkin' 'Bout My Generation 6
  • Yes, let's get this one out of the way first. There is now support for Mega Evolution! That's the actual Mega Evolution, by the way, not some knock-off "I'll just use the same sprites and stats and call it good enough". Do note, though, that this is just support - there are no sprites or items that would be required. You'll have to provide those yourself. A couple of examples have been scripted for you to copy. Another Gen 6 feature that's been added is the wardrobe, i.e. multiple outfits per player character. How you implement outfit changing is up to you.
Get Packing
  • Did you know that if you took just the Pokémon sprites, icons and cries, they'd be around 14MB? They rarely ever change, so why should you download them with each new version of Essentials? Now you'll only need to download them when necessary, because they've all been moved into the creatively-named "Pokémon Pack". This also serves as a template if anyone wants to make their own pack with different sprites.
What did you say?
  • They're taking the Hobbits to Eisengard! If you've done any translating of the Essentials text before, you'll know that there's some things you can't easily translate, because they're not extracted with the rest of the text into the language file. Well, now they are. Bear in mind that the text sections have been rearranged, so old translation files will need to be updated (just renumber the sections accordingly) or replaced.
Animation Revolution
  • The battle animation system has received a huge update. Cels now have individual focus points rather than just one for the whole animation, you can now put backgrounds and foregrounds into animations (both graphics and coloured tints), and you can play the user's cry which can be useful. The Animation Editor's interface has been improved and new features and options added. Old imported animations will be upgraded automatically to the new format. There's a bundle of new animations too, courtesy of the All Animations Project. Oh, and Poké Balls now hang around after they've successfully captured a Pokémon. Which is nice.
Where will you go today?
  • Moving around the world has always been a bit strange in places. The camera goes all jittery while sliding around on ice, swimmers can't swim unless you're swimming (and they can swim onto land!), you can cycle into and run in really tall grass. Well, not any more! These are all problems that have been fixed. And while we're talking about moving around the world, you'll notice that if you try using Surf or Cut, the animation now looks much better. And in fact, so does the Continue/New Game screen, which is now based on its appearance from the BW games.

I'm really cherry-picking what to mention above. There's plenty of other additions and changes too, as well as the usual bug fixes. As always, the full change log is on the wiki.

Have fun!

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
Years
I think I'm going to wait a good few days before I actually begin the lengthy process of updating. Mostly because I'd rather wait and download something with as minimal bugs as possible, then to jump right in and download it, then find out that 3 mini versions came out full of bug fixes, and I'll need to re-update everything.
That being said, though, I will give Version 13 a download and see if I can spot any bugs that were overlooked. Likely will find nothing, but a second pair of eyes can't hurt.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Well this explains why you wouldn't give up any info to me a couple days ago ;)

However, 2 things:

1) You say there is a new outfit thing, what map is this on or where do I find this?

2) For some reason, the new start screen has a problem:

46nt.png

If the problem isn't obvious enough, the Start Screen has my name as female, my character as male but my character is female in-game.

Maruno

Years
1) It's a number called $Trainer.outfit. Default is 0. It's basically alternate forms for the player. The functionality exists, but there are no examples of how to use it because I couldn't be bothered making new sets of charsets and sprites - I said that it's up to you to implement the wardrobe. There's a debug option for changing this value.

2) Save your game and look at it again. This temporary visual discrepancy happens because the player's character ID (PlayerA/PlayerB/etc.) is now also saved in the $Trainer class (so that the load screen can access it to get the correct charset), but you need to save in v13 in order to put that value in there in the first place.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Great job with the update Maruno, it is my favorite release ever as it is a good mix of fun/pleasure and business :D.

Thanks again for the amazing release man.

I think I'm going to wait a good few days before I actually begin the lengthy process of updating. Mostly because I'd rather wait and download something with as minimal bugs as possible, then to jump right in and download it, then find out that 3 mini versions came out full of bug fixes, and I'll need to re-update everything.
That being said, though, I will give Version 13 a download and see if I can spot any bugs that were overlooked. Likely will find nothing, but a second pair of eyes can't hurt.

Historically sub-releases are not a normal thing for Essentials, regardless of bugs.

G-Master

Lead of Pokémon Roll
Years
  • Age 29
  • AZ
  • Seen May 10, 2022
Congrats on including Mega Evolutions! I'm sure it's a load off of your back.

Downloading now. I'll let you know if I find anything unusual.

Years
One question, Who work the mega evolution in essentials?
add in pokemon.txt, Name sprite Ex:mewtwo : 150M1(mega Y) 150M2(mega X)
and all the procediments!
Response plis, and Tanks

Maruno

Years
What's everyone's favourite new (or changed) feature? What's the most overlooked change? I think my favourite is the improvements to moving around (particularly on ice and events in water). The new load screen is cool too - very nice use of space in the Continue panel.

Historically sub-releases are not a normal thing for Essentials, regardless of bugs.
Whether I put out a v13.1 depends on what bugs are found. Doing patches like that is a new idea, so it can't be said to be uncommon or not yet.

Congrats on including Mega Evolutions! I'm sure it's a load off of your back.

Downloading now. I'll let you know if I find anything unusual.
It was just amusing to see people discuss how to implement Mega Evolution when I'd done it a month ago.

All feedback is appreciated.

Response plis, and Tanks
Mega Evolutions are just a kind of alternate form. Example code for the Kanto starters already exists, so reference that. If you want to know more, you can wait until I've had a chance to update the entire wiki by myself.

Years
  • Seen Dec 5, 2013
can you help me please?
when i run the game appears a message:
script 'SpriteWindows' line 218: Runtime error occurred
file name is nil.
what can i do to make the game work?

Years
  • Seen May 18, 2017
I really like how improved sliding ice animation is. Probably my favorite part of this release. I'll run it through the ringer later on.

Years
  • Seen May 4, 2018
This is awesome! I wasn't expecting ver.13 so soon.

I'm trying to use Mega Evolution but I can't trigger it. I added Venusaurite to items.txt and gave it to Venusaur. Also made alternate sprites. What else do I need?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Aug 31, 2023
Response plis, and Tanks

well ive managed to get it working all i done was added the megastone got the pokemon to hold it, changed megaring ownership (debug menu) and entered battle and it was all there (never made sprite so dunno if that worked as it was a quick test but dont see why it wouldnt)

Maruno

Years
This is awesome! I wasn't expecting ver.13 so soon.

I'm trying to use Mega Evolution but I can't trigger it. I added Venusaurite to items.txt and gave it to Venusaur. Also made alternate sprites. What else do I need?
Give yourself the Mega Ring. There's a debug option for it. Can't Mega Evolve without a Mega Ring!

Years
Who named the sprite for mega evolution in Battlers ?
for female XXXF.png,shiny xxxs.png, the mega evolution is xxxM.png or xxxMF1.png??
need add any information in pokemon.txt?

edit: I give Gyradorite to gyrados, active mega ring in Debug , sprite name is my problem.

nad for any charge in Type, Status and Ability who add its?

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
I told you they're alternate forms. If you don't want to see how alternate forms work and figure anything out yourself, that's up to you.

Years
Who swich sprite?
the script work perfect, only the sprite is same original back
named whit same forms (xxx_1,xxx_2) dont work
or xxxm too dont work :/

EDIT: work normaly, sorry for imcomode
For All peoples, for the mega evolution work
1- use the debug and active the mega ring
2- create a mega item Ex: 526,VENUSAURITE,Venusaurite,1,100,Mega evolution for venusaur!,0,0,0,
3- give the item to venusaur
ps: Add front and back sprite for the pokemon front ex:003_1 backsprite 003b_1
go to battle and Enjoy '-'

for add more mega evolution only for advanced user (ruby code)
add in PokemonMultipleForms after line 775
use the kanto mega evolution whith example!

tanks for maruno for the 13 version and pacience XP

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Aug 31, 2023
if you want to add megaring as an event just add this script line to the event

$PokemonGlobal.megaRing=true

just like adding running shoes and that

Years
  • Seen May 4, 2018
Give yourself the Mega Ring. There's a debug option for it. Can't Mega Evolve without a Mega Ring!

Ohhh, Ok Thanks. I thought a Mega Ring would be an optional item.

Something funny just happened, a wild Pidgey used Gust and the game began to lag, so it saved itself in the middle of battle. After resetting, it was still Mega Venusaur out of battle. It went back to normal after battling again though.

if you want to add megaring as an event just add this script line to the event

$PokemonGlobal.megaRing=true

just like adding running shoes and that

Oh xD

I copied the script ($PokemonGlobal.megaRing=!$PokemonGlobal.megaRing) to a Conditional Branch. I guess that would toggle it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Aug 31, 2023
probably dnt really see a need to remove the megaring so not really tried

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back