Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio
Reload this Page Gold hack: [JOHTO LEGACY] Pokémon Christmas - 2014 Version Released!

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Hacks Studio Hacks Studio is the go-to destination for browsing our curated collection of ROM hacks, all made by PokéCommunity members! Patch, play and enjoy!
(Made a bit of progress on a ROM hack already? Post your projects in the Progressing Hacks forum!)
ROM Hacks are to subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Old November 22nd, 2013 (09:46 AM).

Nature: Quiet
Liking the new teasers And I see what you did there with those unowns :p

Spoiler:
brony much? lol

Anyway, can't wait for the new release! Any chance we can get some color screenshots soon though?
Old November 26th, 2013 (08:21 PM).

Nature: Hardy
Would it be possible to post this as a rom my emulator doesn't support ips patching
Old November 26th, 2013 (09:10 PM).
Johto Region Champion

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by jacobk11:
Would it be possible to post this as a rom my emulator doesn't support ips patching
Nope, sorry but its against the rules to upload roms here. Only patches. You can download the patch on your computer or a friend's computer, patch it, and then copy the rom to your phone or whatever though.

"Haha! The fun has been doubled!" - Princess Luna
Old November 29th, 2013 (09:23 AM).
RS Hacker and Pokemon Fan

Great Christmas hack. I am going to play this this coming December. Nice job, Mateo!
Ask me questions about Pokémon if you would like, on my posts.
Old December 2nd, 2013 (11:27 PM).
Eeveelution Breeder

Nature: Bashful
I've been reading comments for hours. Man, it's so late already...

Mateo, first of all, great job you're doing. Yeah, I haven't played the hack, but for what I've seen AND read, it has to be awesome. I can't believe I didn't know of this earlier. Oh, and thanks A LOT for adding Leafeon and Glaceon. I love the eeveelutions, you just made my day (I suck at hacking, so I can't add them myself).

It's funny that I just found about this hack and this is the first time I comment on a forum (no, really, it's the very first time), and I started playing pokemon games like seven months ago. Hope nothing delays the christmas release, even though I just started waiting for it.

Oh, and as a little suggestion, a pokemon you might add... In Mystery Dungeon Red Rescue Team, Absol appears in a snowy area. I guess it fits the theme well and since it doesn't evolve, it shouldn't give much trouble. Besides, that's my favorite pokemon
Old December 3rd, 2013 (12:35 AM).
Johto Region Champion

Quote originally posted by Manuske:
I've been reading comments for hours. Man, it's so late already...

Mateo, first of all, great job you're doing. Yeah, I haven't played the hack, but for what I've seen AND read, it has to be awesome. I can't believe I didn't know of this earlier. Oh, and thanks A LOT for adding Leafeon and Glaceon. I love the eeveelutions, you just made my day (I suck at hacking, so I can't add them myself).

It's funny that I just found about this hack and this is the first time I comment on a forum (no, really, it's the very first time), and I started playing pokemon games like seven months ago. Hope nothing delays the christmas release, even though I just started waiting for it.

Oh, and as a little suggestion, a pokemon you might add... In Mystery Dungeon Red Rescue Team, Absol appears in a snowy area. I guess it fits the theme well and since it doesn't evolve, it shouldn't give much trouble. Besides, that's my favorite pokemon
Thanks, I'm honored that your first post was to comment on my hack! I'm still aiming for a Christmas release, and hopefully nothing will delay it. But I've decided that just in case something does come up, I'm focusing on getting Johto done first before I do Kanto. That way if something does come up, I can release it on Christmas with Johto ready and then update it whenever I get Kanto finished if need be. I hope that won't happen, but then again I did get really ambitious with this update. In all honesty it feels more and more like a reboot than just a "new update" since I've been changing things throughout and (as you've seen) completely overhauling the graphics. But yeah, I plan to still be ready to get a release out around Christmas, even if it isn't the full update yet.

Absol is a neat idea. I think I still have devamped sprites of him lying around that either me or Pyro made for Sterling Silver back in the day. He might be fun to add. I was also kicking around the idea of (if I have time) replacing Chansey with Audino, but that left me with Blissey's spot unused. So if I did that, Absol could fill that extra slot nicely. Just have to see what I decide on and how time goes.

Old December 3rd, 2013 (08:25 AM).
Eeveelution Breeder

Nature: Bashful
Cool, I'd really like to catch and battle against Absol, so it would be great if some npc trainers have one (I see boarders owning it). And about posting here, after reading the comments, I knew I had to give the hack a try and say at least "good job".

By the way, I just started giving the hack a try and I like everything so far. Sadly, I won't have time to play for the next two weeks (teachers and their ridiculous homeworks!), but my vacations start just before christmas, so this is what I'll be playing for the rest of the year. Oh, and when I go visit my cousins, I'll show them this hack. I bet they will like it (they like everything I like). And I really hope Spirits and Legends gets done someday.
Old December 3rd, 2013 (06:21 PM).
Sage Ghetsis
ModeratorCS

Nature: Adamant
Been a while since I poked my head in here. Glad to see you're still working on this hack. It was always my favorite! Can't wait to see it's new release. I lost all my games recently, so I'll probably give this another whirl soon so I can play a new challenge.

Staff Antagonist Collab 2015
Old December 5th, 2013 (12:02 PM).
Johto Region Champion

I don't have enough of it set up to show much more than this right now, but have one of the first in-game screenshots of the new update instead of just mockups from TLP:

Old December 8th, 2013 (10:47 AM).

I have been playing your hack since July and I have to say it's a really good hack I had a lot of fun playing it so much so I did a mono Fire Type run of Pokemon Gold which I wouldn't of done if wasn't for your hack right now I am doing a nuzlocke of Pokemon Christmas on you tube If you can help my out by getting word out I can show the world what a good hack this is maybe you could give some in sites in to your hack and if you need a let's player in the future let me know. thank you for making this hack.
Old December 9th, 2013 (08:46 PM).
But nothing happened.

Nature: Hasty
I hope this hack gets updated, Its really addicting and I hope it wins some type of award. Ive already voted this on one category and I hope that it pulls through. I appreciate gen II hacks and I hope they get noticed more by people playing gen 3.
Old December 9th, 2013 (09:32 PM). Edited December 9th, 2013 by Mateo.
Johto Region Champion

Hey guys, I've made a bit of progress and I have some new screenshots to show off.

The player in her room.

The player talking to his gran.

Inside the non-chosen player's house.

In New Bark Town. I can't make up my mind on what to do with that door.
I may set it to use the roof pallets and then tweak them to look better (it looks lousy with the default roof pallets, tried that first :p )

Cherrygrove City at night.

Cherrygrove City at night.

That's all the screenshots for right now. It's kinda slow going because its so tedious remaking all the tilesets from scratch and then remapping things.

progress report:

Old tileset data removed: 100%
Tileset graphics inserted: 100%
Pallet assignments moved to new bank and individually repointed: 100%
Pallet assignments set up on tilesets: 100%
Block/Collision Data repointed: 100%
Block/Collision Data set up: ??%

I still have a ton of mapping to do, although the indoor maps are quick going. There are a ton of houses, but they all point to the same map data. Same goes for Marts, Centers, Route Gates, and that sort of thing... so once I remap one Mart, I've remapped all of them. So the bulk of the mapping is the outdoor areas, caves, and the random indoor areas like the Pokemon League Gate and Lobby, the labs, and stuff. Which is still a lot. But I'm trying to set up my tilesets so that some of the basic stuff is in the same place so I can make my mapping life easier. I'm afraid I may have bitten off more than I can chew (so to speak) and really don't know if I can have this ready for Christmas or not. But if not, I'll just keep working on it and get it released as soon as it's ready. After all, I do always say "this isn't just a holiday gimmick".

Old December 10th, 2013 (06:07 AM).
But nothing happened.

Good Luck Mateo! Take your time and I know it'll be worth the wait
|Pokemon FlareRed: Total Reboot!
|
Rom Hacking Beginners Click Here
!
Old December 12th, 2013 (09:46 PM).

Nature: Quiet
This is looking great! Nice to see actual screenies now and not just the black and white "teaser" pics I don't mind if it ends up being released after Christmas, either. I'd rather play something nice than for you to rush and it be all buggy and stuff. Keep up the good work! :3
Old December 13th, 2013 (03:09 PM).
Johto Region Champion

Thanks guys

Also, more new screenshots to prove I'm working on this haha:

Speaks for itself.

A route.

Inside Mr. Pokémon's house.

Berry Blender. Thinking about including a way to use this to turn Berries into Berry Juice. But I'll probably end up not using it, since its a bit pointless. (And no, it would not be in every Pokémon Center if it ended up being included.)

What's this? Oh! It's an incense burner!

Fossil Time

Old December 16th, 2013 (09:22 PM).

Enjoying your lastest hack and waiting for your update. Is it possible to ask where are some moon stones....I would like Nidoking and weavile in my team
Old December 17th, 2013 (12:29 AM).
Johto Region Champion

In the 2012 version there are a few around randomly (I think there is one in the cave at Cianwood, and I think there was one in the National Park, but that might have been a Sun Stone.) In the update version you'll be able to buy them for 500 coins outside the Battle Tower. I don't actually have a list of where all they were though, but I know there are some around.

Old December 17th, 2013 (02:48 AM).
But nothing happened.

Im pretty sure your mom buys that for you dude..
|Pokemon FlareRed: Total Reboot!
|
Rom Hacking Beginners Click Here
!
Old December 17th, 2013 (06:32 AM).
The Storm of Friendship

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to Astraea
Good Game to play in this Season in my country!
Its Winter in India!
Anyway , can i get more than one eevee in this game? I want both Glaceon and Flareoon!

'There is no age for evolution, when it comes to evolving yourself into a better person'
Old December 17th, 2013 (08:17 AM).
Johto Region Champion

In the 2012 version you just receive the one as a gift, same as Gold. But you can always breed to get as many Eevees as you want and get all the evolutions. Eevee was probably male, but just grab a ditto on Route 34 and breed him with Eevee or Glaceon or whatever he has evolved into and he will have eggs that hatch into Eevees.

Old December 18th, 2013 (12:02 PM).
LOSING ALL MY FRIENDS

Nature: Modest
I'm really excited to play this, Mateo! Whenever I play vanilla GSC I always think of Christmastime. Everything looks great by the way. I can't wait
MAL
RYM
Formerly "Someday"
Old December 21st, 2013 (05:00 PM).

Ok, I'd like to preface this by apologizing if this is wasting someone's time because the fix is simple, but I really want to play some of this hack in the next few days.

I downloaded the file here and a gold rom, but when I first tried to patch them for whatever reason it wasn't working. I deleted all the stuff, downloaded the rom from another site, and the patch worked successfully. However, when I try to launch the game it crashes like a second after opening VBA every time.

I've tried to play my other rom hacks and they all work fine, so the problem is only happening with this one. How do I fix this so I can play Christmas?
Old December 21st, 2013 (07:40 PM).
Johto Region Champion

Quote originally posted by evasivemaneuver:
Ok, I'd like to preface this by apologizing if this is wasting someone's time because the fix is simple, but I really want to play some of this hack in the next few days.

I downloaded the file here and a gold rom, but when I first tried to patch them for whatever reason it wasn't working. I deleted all the stuff, downloaded the rom from another site, and the patch worked successfully. However, when I try to launch the game it crashes like a second after opening VBA every time.

I've tried to play my other rom hacks and they all work fine, so the problem is only happening with this one. How do I fix this so I can play Christmas?
Not sure what the problem would be exactly, I've never had trouble playing the 2012 version and obviously a lot of people have been able to play it as well. One thing you could try doing is opening it in the BGB emulator, and using it to fix the rom checksums. Last time I checked VBA didn't care if the checksums are valid or not though, so I doubt that is the issue. I've known checksum issues to cause it to not run on other emulators though so I'll make sure that those work when I release the new version.

Old December 22nd, 2013 (08:43 PM).

Ok sorry if this is annoying but I felt the need to provide an update on my situation. First of all, I should have noted that I have a mac (and multipatch) and not a pc. In any case, I deleted everything once again, and after downloading it anew (and a clean gold rom separately) the patch again is no longer working. It says, "Unable to open original file or write to output file."

Now, I had this same problem and message when I tried to patch pokemon sienna, and looking around it does seem to be some sort of minor problem for the mac, at least. It's weird though, because I know the basics of how to patch, and other than this and sienna, I've successfully patched half a dozen other rom hacks with no trouble. If you or anyone you know who plays rom hacks on a mac, any help would be much appreciated.
Old December 22nd, 2013 (09:15 PM).
Johto Region Champion

I don't know anyone personally that plays on a Mac, but hopefully someone around here will be able to help you figure it out. Maybe they can get you straightened out soon!

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)