Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index



Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation
Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

View Poll Results: Which starter in Pokemon F\L
Bulbasaur 27 26.21%
Charmander 51 49.51%
Squirtle 25 24.27%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #26    
Old November 6th, 2013, 06:15 AM
Bakuhatsu!'s Avatar
Bakuhatsu!
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Squirtle! I just think its design is awesome. It also does pretty well in game! I can never wait for it to turn into Blastoise!
  #27    
Old November 7th, 2013, 12:03 AM
Brendino's Avatar
Brendino
#fpt2014
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colombie-Britannique
Age: 22
Nature: Quiet
From my main playthroughs of FireRed I would always use either Bulbasaur or Charmander, just because it wasn't too hard to pick up a Water type Pokemon later down the road, whereas there were a few less options for the other ones (depending on your version).

Of the three though, my favorite has to be Squirtle. I like its design and would put it on par with Charizard's, but having access to Bite and a bunch of the Ice type moves always was a bonus for me, even if it doesn't have the best stats of the 3.


Favorite Pokémon Tournament 2014: GHOST // GRASS
  #28    
Old November 7th, 2013, 01:48 AM
Peitharchia's Avatar
Peitharchia
& got to keep looking
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New York, USA
Squirtle is my favorite, based on looks. It's cute, small, and chubby; what's not to like? xD Plus, when it finally evolves into Blastoise, it grows two, huge cannons on its back, which is quite awesome! These cannons are made out of metal entirely, so they're quite hard to break. Blastoise can take this pair of cannons in and out of its shell as it pleases—pretty efficient!

In terms of competitive battling, though, my favorite would have to be Charmander. Charizard, Charmandar's final evolutionary form, has got a decent Speed stat—allowing it to outrun a handful of Pokémon and strike the first hit. Not only that, but it's also got an above-average Special Attack. Charizard has a variety of special-based moves in its arsenal, such as Air Slash, Fire Blast, Flamethrower, and Hidden Power. Thanks to its major SP Att stat, it can take quite an advantage of them.
for all distractions.
  #29    
Old November 7th, 2013, 02:39 AM
Yoshi119's Avatar
Yoshi119
Abbeon
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Ireland
Gender: Female
Nature: Calm
I don't know which one is the best, they are all special in their own way, but my favourite is Charmander, since at the time I was first getting into Pokémon, I was obsessed with dragons so I loved Charizard straight away.
3DS Friendcode: 0688-5345-6202

#trenchcoatswag
Friend Safari: Ledyba, Masquerain, Venomoth
  #30    
Old November 7th, 2013, 04:36 AM
LusoTrainer's Avatar
LusoTrainer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Gender: Male
There is no "best" starter. The right question would be "what's your favourite".
  #31    
Old November 9th, 2013, 12:13 AM
jazzykurl's Avatar
jazzykurl
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Gender: Female
Nature: Quirky
My absol-lute favourite starter would have to be squirtle. I will always have a sport in my heart for the blue turtle and it's evolutions.
You look... Fletchling today
  #32    
Old November 9th, 2013, 03:19 AM
RimasLT's Avatar
RimasLT
My beautiful - Mazda 323F <333
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Lithuania, Moletai
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Docile
Send a message via Skype™ to RimasLT
Bulbasaur - 1. My first pokemon ever in games. 2.Adorable design. 3. Powerful partner. 4. Do not like Charmander ( never liked him ( biggest enemy for my Venusaur ) 5. Squirtle I just do not like this turtle either.
Hacks I support :









Last edited by RimasLT; November 16th, 2013 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Needed
  #33    
Old November 9th, 2013, 03:30 AM
Flower's Avatar
Flower
ワイルドフラワー
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Void
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Flower
Don't ask, It's charmander
Because it evolves to Charizard. (I know charmeleon first lol)
PM | Flower | VM
  #34    
Old November 9th, 2013, 08:52 PM
RoboMan2010
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Gender: Male
Charmander, no idea why. I just always seemed to pick him.
  #35    
Old December 3rd, 2013, 05:37 AM
Varus's Avatar
Varus
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Gender: Male
Bulbasaur, because it evolves into Venusaur!

When I was younger I would have said Charmander hands down. But now that I'm older I realize looks aren't everything (except when concerning newer gen pokemon) I don't think there's any other grass pokemon that can much up to venusaur. At least not in Gen 1, while for fire and water you have ninetails and gyarados
  #36    
Old December 3rd, 2013, 10:14 PM
Mara's Avatar
Mara
All your base are belong to us
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: America
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Nature: Rash
I love Bulbasaur. It's really cute. And it's final evo Venusaur is really awesome. One of the strongest grass starters imo.
  #37    
Old December 4th, 2013, 08:09 AM
ryemck's Avatar
ryemck
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Gender: Male
Although I always choose Charmander, it's because he's the most useful to me.

They're all my favourites, by far the best starters created!
  #38    
Old December 5th, 2013, 02:30 AM
TheAmazingSpiderMan's Avatar
TheAmazingSpiderMan
Aka Ansirent
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: India
Gender: Male
Nature: Gentle
Well too much review from peoples. Charmander and Bulbasaur got too much comments as of now.

Quote:
Squirtle is my favorite, based on looks. It's cute, small, and chubby; what's not to like? xD Plus, when it finally evolves into Blastoise, it grows two, huge cannons on its back, which is quite awesome! These cannons are made out of metal entirely, so they're quite hard to break. Blastoise can take this pair of cannons in and out of its shell as it pleases—pretty efficient!

In terms of competitive battling, though, my favorite would have to be Charmander. Charizard, Charmandar's final evolutionary form, has got a decent Speed stat—allowing it to outrun a handful of Pokémon and strike the first hit. Not only that, but it's also got an above-average Special Attack. Charizard has a variety of special-based moves in its arsenal, such as Air Slash, Fire Blast, Flamethrower, and Hidden Power. Thanks to its major SP Att stat, it can take quite an advantage of them.
__________________
Well Squirtle is Pokemon with cuteness. And it looks great when in becomes Blastiose.

Quote:
From my main playthroughs of FireRed I would always use either Bulbasaur or Charmander, just because it wasn't too hard to pick up a Water type Pokemon later down the road, whereas there were a few less options for the other ones (depending on your version).

Of the three though, my favorite has to be Squirtle. I like its design and would put it on par with Charizard's, but having access to Bite and a bunch of the Ice type moves always was a bonus for me, even if it doesn't have the best stats of the 3.
Yeah many people choose Charizard and Bulbasaur. Well Squirtle can beat other in cuteness maybe. well all are cute though.

Quote:
Bulbasaur, because it evolves into Venusaur!

When I was younger I would have said Charmander hands down. But now that I'm older I realize looks aren't everything (except when concerning newer gen pokemon) I don't think there's any other grass pokemon that can much up to venusaur. At least not in Gen 1, while for fire and water you have ninetails and gyarados
Well Venusaur & Blastoise has really great design as 3rd evolved form.

Quote:
I don't know which one is the best, they are all special in their own way, but my favourite is Charmander, since at the time I was first getting into Pokémon, I was obsessed with dragons so I loved Charizard straight away.
Yeah Charizard is a great strong & Enough Powerful to be handy in League but, I really don't like the design of Charizard much.

Quote:
Although I always choose Charmander, it's because he's the most useful to me.

They're all my favourites, by far the best starters created!
amhm...

Quote:
Don't ask, It's charmander
Because it evolves to Charizard. (I know charmeleon first lol)
Yeah, strong and powerful.
  #39    
Old December 5th, 2013, 02:59 AM
TheRestlessSoul's Avatar
TheRestlessSoul
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Melbourne
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
To me, these 3 starters are the best of any starters in the game in terms of how much i like them It's hard to pick a favourite but i;d probably say Squirtle as Blastoise is my favourite pokemon and i love water types, however it's a tough choice
Currently Playing: Pokemon Y

3DS Friend Code: 0619-4568-7335

Friend Safari:


National Dex Completion: 51%

Shiny Pokemon:
  #40    
Old December 5th, 2013, 03:22 AM
TheAmazingSpiderMan's Avatar
TheAmazingSpiderMan
Aka Ansirent
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: India
Gender: Male
Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRestlessSoul View Post
To me, these 3 starters are the best of any starters in the game in terms of how much i like them It's hard to pick a favourite but i;d probably say Squirtle as Blastoise is my favourite pokemon and i love water types, however it's a tough choice
Yeah you are right its a hard choice. Though there isn't any best. all are same actually. all are great.
  #41    
Old December 5th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Crabbit's Avatar
Crabbit
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Gender: Male
Charmander. #1 in my team, #1 in my heart.
Have a soft spot for squirtle though because he was my first starter EVER.

Bulbasaur I just feel sorry for because I've always neglected him.
  #42    
Old December 6th, 2013, 05:44 PM
mew2424
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
1 Bulbasaur

2 Squirtle

3 Charmander


Bulb is so is to train !
  #43    
Old December 6th, 2013, 10:51 PM
Thief's Avatar
Thief
Thief of the Night
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Britain
Age: 18
Gender:
I love all three for their basic forms. And their second forms. But when it comes right down to it, it's only the final form that matters, because that's what you end up with after everything. So I voted Charmander. Charizard is the only one that looks good. Blastoise is... tolerable. Venusaur is just... I have no words. They made it hideous. I love Bulbasaur either as much or more than Charmander, and Ivysaur is pretty decent even though I prefer Charmeleon and Wartortle. But overall, Charizard > Blastoise >>>>>>>> Venusaur. & It's sad.

Rare Ball Trade Shop || Trade Reviews
Real Name: Nate || IGN: Laura || FC: 0920-0357-3706 || TSV: 0205
  #44    
Old December 8th, 2013, 09:47 AM
arctofire16's Avatar
arctofire16
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Gender: Male
Well it really depends on what you want to do. I wouldn't pick Blastoise or any of the Water type starters because there are a ton of good, better Water types out there. So its really between Charizard and Venasaur. Now it is very important to have a balanced team at all times to fend off all your weaknesses and I always build that out of a Fire type, a Water type, a Grass or Electric type, a Flying type,a Phychic type, and personally a Ground type. So lets look at those 2 Pokemons Stats and Movepools.

Venasaur

Stats

HP - 80
Attack - 82
Defence - 83
Special Attack - 100
Special Defence - 100
Speed - 80

Movepool
Start - Tackle
4 - Growl
7 - Leech Seed
10 - Vine Whip
15 - Sleep Powder
15 - Poison Powder
Evolves Into Ivysaur
22 - Razor Leaf
29 - Sweet Scent
Evolves Into Venusaur
38 - Growth
47 - Synthesis
56 - Solar Beam

Ability - Overgrow - If this Pokemon is bellow 1/3 of its Hp, the Power of Grass type moves will increase by 1.5x

My Venasaurs moveset is going to have
Synthisis
Solar Beam
Sleep Powder
Razor Leaf

Now lets look at Charizard

Stats
HP - 78
Attack - 84
Defence - 78
Special Attack - 109
Special Defence - 85
Speed - 100

Movepool
Start - Scratch
Start - Growl
7 - Ember
13 - Metal Claw
Evolves Into Chameleon
20 - Smokescreen
27 - Flamethrower
Evolves into Charizard
36 - Wing Attack
44 - Slash
54 - Dragon Rage
64 - Fire Spin

Ability
Blaze - If this Pokemon is bellow 1/3 of its Hp, the Power of Fire type moves will increase by 1.5x

Recomended Moveset
Flamethrower
Sunny Day or Fire Blast
Wing Attack
Steel Wing


Venusaur is the best in the fact that it can get through alot of the early Gyms easily. I think Charizard is the best of the two. It was a close call because Venasaur is very good. But I think why Venasaur lost was because it has kind of a shallow movepool.

Dont be discouraged on using Blastoise, Its just I think there are better Water types out there. Namely Gyrados, Lapras, and Vaporeon.

Last edited by arctofire16; December 10th, 2013 at 09:36 AM.
  #45    
Old December 8th, 2013, 10:01 AM
isthatyoudan's Avatar
isthatyoudan
doesn't work well with others...
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: At my desk on the computer
Gender: Female
Nature: Quirky
Bulbasaur for no reason whatsoever. Always my choice.
I would have picked him in X, too, but chose Charmander to make up for my froakie's grass weakness.
All About Dan! (at the moment, at least)
Deep Thoughts...
The people of the Pokémon world aren't too creative. They named Pokémon after what sound they make. If we were like them, a cow would be called a "moo".

I'm Reading...
Just finished a volume of Soul Eater, volume 14. At this point, it has become very different compared to the anime, and I kind of like it. Some of the characters have gotten a lot more fleshed out (specifically the meister team of Ox, Kilik, and Kim), and things are happening quite differently. An exciting read.

I'm Playing...
The iPod music game, Cytus. While I may not know very many of the songs, I really like its music, and the gameplay is easy to pick up yet takes quite a while to master. A friend has seen me play it and he says I make it look easy, but I am still having a fun and challenging time. Definitely worth the price.
  #46    
Old December 8th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Penta Penguin's Avatar
Penta Penguin
Penta is here to stay
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North England
Age: 24
Gender:
Nature: Relaxed
I do have a liking for Grass types over the others, so Bulbasaur it is. It's very effective against Brock in the first gym.

Arkanoid
: The lost levels compact - 40% done
~Twitter~ ~Youtube~
  #47    
Old December 8th, 2013, 11:58 PM
TheAmazingSpiderMan's Avatar
TheAmazingSpiderMan
Aka Ansirent
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: India
Gender: Male
Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSabin Bubblun View Post
I do have a liking for Grass types over the others, so Bulbasaur it is. It's very effective against Brock in the first gym.
yeah but get useless after 3rd gym and some others. Not comfortable for league though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isthatyoudan View Post
Bulbasaur for no reason whatsoever. Always my choice.
I would have picked him in X, too, but chose Charmander to make up for my froakie's grass weakness.
What X ? You better talk about it in X & Y forum And yeah bulbasaur looks cute. And when it goes to Venusaur it goes more cooler then before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctofire16 View Post
Well it really depends on what you want to do. I wouldn't pick Blastoise or any of the Water type starters because there are a ton of good, better Water types out there. So its really between Charizard and Venasaur. Now it is very important to have a balanced team at all times to fend of all your weaknesses and I always build that out of a Fire type, a Water type, a Grass or Electric type, a Flying type,a Phychic type, and personally a Ground type. So lets look at those 2 Pokemons Stats and Movepools.

Venasaur

Stats

HP - 80
Attack - 82
Defence - 83
Special Attack - 100
Special Defence - 100
Speed - 80

Movepool
Start - Tackle
4 - Growl
7 - Leech Seed
10 - Vine Whip
15 - Sleep Powder
15 - Poison Powder
Evolves Into Ivysaur
22 - Razor Leaf
29 - Sweet Scent
Evolves Into Venusaur
38 - Growth
47 - Synthesis
56 - Solar Beam

Ability - Overgrow - If this Pokemon is bellow 1/3 of its Hp, the Power of Grass type moves will increase by 1.5x

My Venasaurs moveset is going to have
Synthisis
Solar Beam
Sleep Powder
Razor Leaf

Now lets look at Charizard

Stats
HP - 78
Attack - 84
Defence - 78
Special Attack - 109
Special Defence - 85
Speed - 100

Movepool
Start - Scratch
Start - Growl
7 - Ember
13 - Metal Claw
Evolves Into Chameleon
20 - Smokescreen
27 - Flamethrower
Evolves into Charizard
36 - Wing Attack
44 - Slash
54 - Dragon Rage
64 - Fire Spin

Ability
Blaze - If this Pokemon is bellow 1/3 of its Hp, the Power of Fire type moves will increase by 1.5x

Recomended Moveset
Flamethrower
Sunny Day or Fire Blast
Wing Attack
Steel Wing


Venusaur is the best in the fact that it can get through alot of the early Gyms easily. I think Charizard is the best of the two. It was a close call because Venasaur is very good. But I think why Venasaur lost was because it has kind of a shallow movepool.

Dont be discouraged on using Blastoise, Its just I think there are better Water types out there. Namely Gyrados, Lapras, and Vaporeon.
You listed great things. And look like you had a great Knowledge about GEN 3 and Charizard is best in my way. Venusar doesn't show a great performance in League. And Blastoise is a little comfortable but gives sometime lose to you. Charizard is great strong but hard to raise Pokemon.
  #48    
Old December 9th, 2013, 12:14 AM
Xebelleon's Avatar
Xebelleon
Soft Fairy. Warm Fairy.
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
Squirtle suits my style but I know Sunny Day Zard to be boss
2DS -X- 0404.7525.1925 -- SLUGMA.MAGMAR.BRAIXEN, also has New Leaf, getting Smash Bros later, 3ds has Dark safari with Vullaby/Sandile
  #49    
Old December 10th, 2013, 08:40 PM
TheAmazingSpiderMan's Avatar
TheAmazingSpiderMan
Aka Ansirent
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: India
Gender: Male
Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xebelleon View Post
Squirtle suits my style but I know Sunny Day Zard to be boss
Really ? but what is sunny day zard ? What are you trying to say ? Do you meant by Charmander is best ?
  #50    
Old December 18th, 2013, 02:36 PM
BartCiao's Avatar
BartCiao
It has always been Pokemon :)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Adamant
I always look at the fully evolved forms, because that's what you'll be playing with the longest time. I like Charmander and Charmeleon, but I just don't like that Fire Dragon that ain't even a dragon I just don't like it, don't really know why. When I picked Charmander once, I leveled it unto level 36, then I put it in Box 13 and never looked at it again. And you can pick up Moltres later, which has the same typing and is more powerful (and better looking too). Venusaur and Blastoise are both awesome, but I think I like Blastoise better.
"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best."

Karen, Johto Elite Four member
Post Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 02:56 AM.

About Us
© 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com. Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.

Copyright
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com. PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator. Header artwork by Jordanice of deviantART.

Social Media
If you would like to stay up-to-date with us on the go, when we're down, or other such things, follow us on social media sites--most notibly Twitter, Facebook, and Google Plus--by clicking on the links provided.

Design presented by Peitharchia. Special thanks to Hiroshi Sotomura and Ausaudriel.