Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation
Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

View Poll Results: Which starter in Pokemon F\L
Bulbasaur 27 26.21%
Charmander 51 49.51%
Squirtle 25 24.27%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 6th, 2013, 06:15 AM
Bakuhatsu!

Nature: Calm
Squirtle! I just think its design is awesome. It also does pretty well in game! I can never wait for it to turn into Blastoise!
Old November 7th, 2013, 12:03 AM
Brendino
#fpt2014

Nature: Quiet
From my main playthroughs of FireRed I would always use either Bulbasaur or Charmander, just because it wasn't too hard to pick up a Water type Pokemon later down the road, whereas there were a few less options for the other ones (depending on your version).

Of the three though, my favorite has to be Squirtle. I like its design and would put it on par with Charizard's, but having access to Bite and a bunch of the Ice type moves always was a bonus for me, even if it doesn't have the best stats of the 3.

Favorite Pokémon Tournament 2014: GHOST // GRASS
Old November 7th, 2013, 01:48 AM
Peitharchia
& got to keep looking

Squirtle is my favorite, based on looks. It's cute, small, and chubby; what's not to like? xD Plus, when it finally evolves into Blastoise, it grows two, huge cannons on its back, which is quite awesome! These cannons are made out of metal entirely, so they're quite hard to break. Blastoise can take this pair of cannons in and out of its shell as it pleases—pretty efficient!

In terms of competitive battling, though, my favorite would have to be Charmander. Charizard, Charmandar's final evolutionary form, has got a decent Speed stat—allowing it to outrun a handful of Pokémon and strike the first hit. Not only that, but it's also got an above-average Special Attack. Charizard has a variety of special-based moves in its arsenal, such as Air Slash, Fire Blast, Flamethrower, and Hidden Power. Thanks to its major SP Att stat, it can take quite an advantage of them.
for all distractions.
Old November 7th, 2013, 02:39 AM
Yoshi119
Abbeon

Nature: Calm
I don't know which one is the best, they are all special in their own way, but my favourite is Charmander, since at the time I was first getting into Pokémon, I was obsessed with dragons so I loved Charizard straight away.
3DS Friendcode: 0688-5345-6202

#trenchcoatswag
Friend Safari: Ledyba, Masquerain, Venomoth
Old November 7th, 2013, 04:36 AM
LusoTrainer

There is no "best" starter. The right question would be "what's your favourite".
Old November 9th, 2013, 12:13 AM
jazzykurl

Nature: Quirky
My absol-lute favourite starter would have to be squirtle. I will always have a sport in my heart for the blue turtle and it's evolutions.
You look... Fletchling today
Old November 9th, 2013, 03:19 AM
RimasLT
My beautiful - Mazda 323F <333

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Skype™ to RimasLT
Bulbasaur - 1. My first pokemon ever in games. 2.Adorable design. 3. Powerful partner. 4. Do not like Charmander ( never liked him ( biggest enemy for my Venusaur ) 5. Squirtle I just do not like this turtle either.
Hacks I support :

Last edited by RimasLT; November 16th, 2013 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Needed
Old November 9th, 2013, 03:30 AM
Flower
ワイルドフラワー

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Flower
Don't ask, It's charmander
Because it evolves to Charizard. (I know charmeleon first lol)
PM | Flower | VM
Old November 9th, 2013, 08:52 PM
RoboMan2010
Banned

Charmander, no idea why. I just always seemed to pick him.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 05:37 AM
Varus

Bulbasaur, because it evolves into Venusaur!

When I was younger I would have said Charmander hands down. But now that I'm older I realize looks aren't everything (except when concerning newer gen pokemon) I don't think there's any other grass pokemon that can much up to venusaur. At least not in Gen 1, while for fire and water you have ninetails and gyarados
Old December 3rd, 2013, 10:14 PM
Mara
All your base are belong to us

Nature: Rash
I love Bulbasaur. It's really cute. And it's final evo Venusaur is really awesome. One of the strongest grass starters imo.
Old December 4th, 2013, 08:09 AM
ryemck

Although I always choose Charmander, it's because he's the most useful to me.

They're all my favourites, by far the best starters created!
Old December 5th, 2013, 02:30 AM
TheAmazingSpiderMan
Aka Ansirent

Nature: Gentle
Well too much review from peoples. Charmander and Bulbasaur got too much comments as of now.

Quote:
Squirtle is my favorite, based on looks. It's cute, small, and chubby; what's not to like? xD Plus, when it finally evolves into Blastoise, it grows two, huge cannons on its back, which is quite awesome! These cannons are made out of metal entirely, so they're quite hard to break. Blastoise can take this pair of cannons in and out of its shell as it pleases—pretty efficient!

In terms of competitive battling, though, my favorite would have to be Charmander. Charizard, Charmandar's final evolutionary form, has got a decent Speed stat—allowing it to outrun a handful of Pokémon and strike the first hit. Not only that, but it's also got an above-average Special Attack. Charizard has a variety of special-based moves in its arsenal, such as Air Slash, Fire Blast, Flamethrower, and Hidden Power. Thanks to its major SP Att stat, it can take quite an advantage of them.

Quote:
From my main playthroughs of FireRed I would always use either Bulbasaur or Charmander, just because it wasn't too hard to pick up a Water type Pokemon later down the road, whereas there were a few less options for the other ones (depending on your version).

Of the three though, my favorite has to be Squirtle. I like its design and would put it on par with Charizard's, but having access to Bite and a bunch of the Ice type moves always was a bonus for me, even if it doesn't have the best stats of the 3.
Yeah many people choose Charizard and Bulbasaur. Well Squirtle can beat other in cuteness maybe. well all are cute though.

Quote:
Bulbasaur, because it evolves into Venusaur!

When I was younger I would have said Charmander hands down. But now that I'm older I realize looks aren't everything (except when concerning newer gen pokemon) I don't think there's any other grass pokemon that can much up to venusaur. At least not in Gen 1, while for fire and water you have ninetails and gyarados
Well Venusaur & Blastoise has really great design as 3rd evolved form.

Quote:
I don't know which one is the best, they are all special in their own way, but my favourite is Charmander, since at the time I was first getting into Pokémon, I was obsessed with dragons so I loved Charizard straight away.
Yeah Charizard is a great strong & Enough Powerful to be handy in League but, I really don't like the design of Charizard much.

Quote:
Although I always choose Charmander, it's because he's the most useful to me.

They're all my favourites, by far the best starters created!
amhm...

Quote:
Don't ask, It's charmander
Because it evolves to Charizard. (I know charmeleon first lol)
Yeah, strong and powerful.
Old December 5th, 2013, 02:59 AM
TheRestlessSoul

Nature: Relaxed
To me, these 3 starters are the best of any starters in the game in terms of how much i like them It's hard to pick a favourite but i;d probably say Squirtle as Blastoise is my favourite pokemon and i love water types, however it's a tough choice
Currently Playing: Pokemon Y

3DS Friend Code: 0619-4568-7335

Friend Safari:

National Dex Completion: 51%

Shiny Pokemon:
Old December 5th, 2013, 03:22 AM
TheAmazingSpiderMan
Aka Ansirent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRestlessSoul View Post
To me, these 3 starters are the best of any starters in the game in terms of how much i like them It's hard to pick a favourite but i;d probably say Squirtle as Blastoise is my favourite pokemon and i love water types, however it's a tough choice
Yeah you are right its a hard choice. Though there isn't any best. all are same actually. all are great.
Old December 5th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Crabbit

Charmander. #1 in my team, #1 in my heart.
Have a soft spot for squirtle though because he was my first starter EVER.

Bulbasaur I just feel sorry for because I've always neglected him.
Old December 6th, 2013, 05:44 PM
mew2424

Nature: Brave
1 Bulbasaur

2 Squirtle

3 Charmander

Bulb is so is to train !
Old December 6th, 2013, 10:51 PM
Thief
Thief of the Night

I love all three for their basic forms. And their second forms. But when it comes right down to it, it's only the final form that matters, because that's what you end up with after everything. So I voted Charmander. Charizard is the only one that looks good. Blastoise is... tolerable. Venusaur is just... I have no words. They made it hideous. I love Bulbasaur either as much or more than Charmander, and Ivysaur is pretty decent even though I prefer Charmeleon and Wartortle. But overall, Charizard > Blastoise >>>>>>>> Venusaur. & It's sad.

Rare Ball Trade Shop || Trade Reviews
Real Name: Nate || IGN: Laura || FC: 0920-0357-3706 || TSV: 0205
Old December 8th, 2013, 09:47 AM
arctofire16

Well it really depends on what you want to do. I wouldn't pick Blastoise or any of the Water type starters because there are a ton of good, better Water types out there. So its really between Charizard and Venasaur. Now it is very important to have a balanced team at all times to fend off all your weaknesses and I always build that out of a Fire type, a Water type, a Grass or Electric type, a Flying type,a Phychic type, and personally a Ground type. So lets look at those 2 Pokemons Stats and Movepools.

Venasaur

Stats

HP - 80
Attack - 82
Defence - 83
Special Attack - 100
Special Defence - 100
Speed - 80

Movepool
Start - Tackle
4 - Growl
7 - Leech Seed
10 - Vine Whip
15 - Sleep Powder
15 - Poison Powder
Evolves Into Ivysaur
22 - Razor Leaf
29 - Sweet Scent
Evolves Into Venusaur
38 - Growth
47 - Synthesis
56 - Solar Beam

Ability - Overgrow - If this Pokemon is bellow 1/3 of its Hp, the Power of Grass type moves will increase by 1.5x

My Venasaurs moveset is going to have
Synthisis
Solar Beam
Sleep Powder
Razor Leaf

Now lets look at Charizard

Stats
HP - 78
Attack - 84
Defence - 78
Special Attack - 109
Special Defence - 85
Speed - 100

Movepool
Start - Scratch
Start - Growl
7 - Ember
13 - Metal Claw
Evolves Into Chameleon
20 - Smokescreen
27 - Flamethrower
Evolves into Charizard
36 - Wing Attack
44 - Slash
54 - Dragon Rage
64 - Fire Spin

Ability
Blaze - If this Pokemon is bellow 1/3 of its Hp, the Power of Fire type moves will increase by 1.5x

Recomended Moveset
Flamethrower
Sunny Day or Fire Blast
Wing Attack
Steel Wing

Venusaur is the best in the fact that it can get through alot of the early Gyms easily. I think Charizard is the best of the two. It was a close call because Venasaur is very good. But I think why Venasaur lost was because it has kind of a shallow movepool.

Dont be discouraged on using Blastoise, Its just I think there are better Water types out there. Namely Gyrados, Lapras, and Vaporeon.

Last edited by arctofire16; December 10th, 2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old December 8th, 2013, 10:01 AM
isthatyoudan
doesn't work well with others...

Bulbasaur for no reason whatsoever. Always my choice.
I would have picked him in X, too, but chose Charmander to make up for my froakie's grass weakness.
All About Dan! (at the moment, at least)
Deep Thoughts...
The people of the Pokémon world aren't too creative. They named Pokémon after what sound they make. If we were like them, a cow would be called a "moo".

I'm Reading...
Just finished a volume of Soul Eater, volume 14. At this point, it has become very different compared to the anime, and I kind of like it. Some of the characters have gotten a lot more fleshed out (specifically the meister team of Ox, Kilik, and Kim), and things are happening quite differently. An exciting read.

I'm Playing...
The iPod music game, Cytus. While I may not know very many of the songs, I really like its music, and the gameplay is easy to pick up yet takes quite a while to master. A friend has seen me play it and he says I make it look easy, but I am still having a fun and challenging time. Definitely worth the price.
Old December 8th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Penta Penguin
Penta is here to stay

I do have a liking for Grass types over the others, so Bulbasaur it is. It's very effective against Brock in the first gym.

Arkanoid
: The lost levels compact - 40% done
~Twitter~ ~Youtube~
Old December 8th, 2013, 11:58 PM
TheAmazingSpiderMan
Aka Ansirent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSabin Bubblun View Post
I do have a liking for Grass types over the others, so Bulbasaur it is. It's very effective against Brock in the first gym.
yeah but get useless after 3rd gym and some others. Not comfortable for league though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isthatyoudan View Post
Bulbasaur for no reason whatsoever. Always my choice.
I would have picked him in X, too, but chose Charmander to make up for my froakie's grass weakness.
What X ? You better talk about it in X & Y forum And yeah bulbasaur looks cute. And when it goes to Venusaur it goes more cooler then before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctofire16 View Post
Well it really depends on what you want to do. I wouldn't pick Blastoise or any of the Water type starters because there are a ton of good, better Water types out there. So its really between Charizard and Venasaur. Now it is very important to have a balanced team at all times to fend of all your weaknesses and I always build that out of a Fire type, a Water type, a Grass or Electric type, a Flying type,a Phychic type, and personally a Ground type. So lets look at those 2 Pokemons Stats and Movepools.

Venasaur

Stats

HP - 80
Attack - 82
Defence - 83
Special Attack - 100
Special Defence - 100
Speed - 80

Movepool
Start - Tackle
4 - Growl
7 - Leech Seed
10 - Vine Whip
15 - Sleep Powder
15 - Poison Powder
Evolves Into Ivysaur
22 - Razor Leaf
29 - Sweet Scent
Evolves Into Venusaur
38 - Growth
47 - Synthesis
56 - Solar Beam

Ability - Overgrow - If this Pokemon is bellow 1/3 of its Hp, the Power of Grass type moves will increase by 1.5x

My Venasaurs moveset is going to have
Synthisis
Solar Beam
Sleep Powder
Razor Leaf

Now lets look at Charizard

Stats
HP - 78
Attack - 84
Defence - 78
Special Attack - 109
Special Defence - 85
Speed - 100

Movepool
Start - Scratch
Start - Growl
7 - Ember
13 - Metal Claw
Evolves Into Chameleon
20 - Smokescreen
27 - Flamethrower
Evolves into Charizard
36 - Wing Attack
44 - Slash
54 - Dragon Rage
64 - Fire Spin

Ability
Blaze - If this Pokemon is bellow 1/3 of its Hp, the Power of Fire type moves will increase by 1.5x

Recomended Moveset
Flamethrower
Sunny Day or Fire Blast
Wing Attack
Steel Wing

Venusaur is the best in the fact that it can get through alot of the early Gyms easily. I think Charizard is the best of the two. It was a close call because Venasaur is very good. But I think why Venasaur lost was because it has kind of a shallow movepool.

Dont be discouraged on using Blastoise, Its just I think there are better Water types out there. Namely Gyrados, Lapras, and Vaporeon.
You listed great things. And look like you had a great Knowledge about GEN 3 and Charizard is best in my way. Venusar doesn't show a great performance in League. And Blastoise is a little comfortable but gives sometime lose to you. Charizard is great strong but hard to raise Pokemon.
Old December 9th, 2013, 12:14 AM
Xebelleon
Soft Fairy. Warm Fairy.

Squirtle suits my style but I know Sunny Day Zard to be boss
2DS -X- 0404.7525.1925 -- SLUGMA.MAGMAR.BRAIXEN, also has New Leaf, getting Smash Bros later, 3ds has Dark safari with Vullaby/Sandile
Old December 10th, 2013, 08:40 PM
TheAmazingSpiderMan
Aka Ansirent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xebelleon View Post
Squirtle suits my style but I know Sunny Day Zard to be boss
Really ? but what is sunny day zard ? What are you trying to say ? Do you meant by Charmander is best ?
Old December 18th, 2013, 02:36 PM
BartCiao
It has always been Pokemon :)

Nature: Adamant
I always look at the fully evolved forms, because that's what you'll be playing with the longest time. I like Charmander and Charmeleon, but I just don't like that Fire Dragon that ain't even a dragon I just don't like it, don't really know why. When I picked Charmander once, I leveled it unto level 36, then I put it in Box 13 and never looked at it again. And you can pick up Moltres later, which has the same typing and is more powerful (and better looking too). Venusaur and Blastoise are both awesome, but I think I like Blastoise better.
"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best."

Karen, Johto Elite Four member
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links