The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old October 8th, 2013, 05:54 AM
Username Unavailable
User Title Unavailable

Nature: Mild
Seeing as Fakemon seem to be a rather discussed topic, I'd like to know your opinions on which is the worst Fakemon you've seen in a ROM Hack, since to be honest there are a lot of ROM Hacks with ugly fakemon.
Old October 8th, 2013, 04:06 PM
GoGoJJTech
http://GoGoJJTech.com (WIP!)
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
All of them. Fakemon do not work for me, neither do the new pokemon tbh. They're not like the Groudon thing where it's a big story and it shaped history and all that, fakemon are just there. "Oh, a rabbit frog thing. Gotta catch em all..................."
Old October 9th, 2013, 03:57 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Depends... your question is sprite-wise (how it looks in ROM) or art-wise (how the artwork looks)?
Even though there are Fakemon that look like ugly piece of *insert your own word* there are also quality looking Fakemon.
But to tell the truth I don't like fakemons.

One of the ugliest Fakemons would be the first concept of one dark Pokemon from DarkRising which was like black flat something.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old October 9th, 2013, 04:01 AM
Orifiel
Priestess

Nature: Lonely
There's no good answer or even the right answer so rather all of them.
I never like fakemon. If it's on a good hack, I just have to bare with it.
Old October 9th, 2013, 05:31 PM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Spoiler:

^This.
Seriously, what the heck is that thing? An eye-less Dragonair with wings? Pfft!
Old October 9th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Dark Sneasel
dem Verdanturf flowers are sexy
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Yeah to be honest I don't really like them either, except for a few. If I see them I just have to deal with it though.

Join Poketch.com, a new ROM hacking community! Click on the image for more!
Old October 10th, 2013, 03:49 AM
Endless_Void
Rawr

Nature: Naive
To be honest I don't really love or like fakemon but When it's in a really awesome hack everyone's talking about I gotta deal with it.

Old October 10th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Mage
Wizard Eyes

Send a message via AIM to Mage
I've actually seen some pretty awesome Fakemon (some that would be much better than the new ones like that ice cream.... or the trash bag). Sure, some look really bad but if someone is making a hack in a new area, I would expect there to be some Fakemon present. But that's just my opinion.
Old October 10th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Ari Niko
Sincerity

Nature: Bold
I came in here expecting to see some people defending fakemon, but I was wrong :O
I think most fakemon are pretty creative, there are some that are messes though.

I actualy don't think that one is that bad
Old October 14th, 2013, 04:43 PM
HeavyOctillery
Locked & Loaded

I only like quality Fakemon - in other words, Fakes I could buy as being real GF mons.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old October 14th, 2013, 07:42 PM
latias190

Most of them are ugly, some look okay. I avoid fakemon hacks - even if the hack looks amazing - I dislike fakemon, but not as much as Totodile. I hate that crocodile.

Last edited by latias190; October 14th, 2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 07:18 PM
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
All of them. Fakemon do not work for me, neither do the new pokemon tbh. They're not like the Groudon thing where it's a big story and it shaped history and all that, fakemon are just there. "Oh, a rabbit frog thing. Gotta catch em all..................."
^ THIS.
Generally (and personally) I hate fakemon, even if a Pokémon game/hack seems to have interesting story and features, if it has fakemon I'll automatically dislike it, relatively... It's really rare to find pretty fakemon that "look like" Pokémon.

And this new Gen 6... is for me the most disappoiting generation of all times, many Pokémon look like... fakemon...
Look: at Goodra and Barbaracle... The first is a slug of the Dragon type (are you Serious?) and the second is many hands stuck to each other (Huh?) and both of them don't look like Pokémon but more like some monster from Dragon Quest... especially that ugly and weird Barbacle...

If you want to make Fakemon that most people will relatively like, make them in a "Mega evolution fashion", by that I mean, some fakemon that is an evolution for Rapidash or some genetically modified Jynx and such...
Old October 25th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Tryploshion
I become a Pokemon Master!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurapika View Post
^ THIS.
Generally (and personally) I hate fakemon, even if a Pokémon game/hack seems to have interesting story and features, if it has fakemon I'll automatically dislike it, relatively... It's really rare to find pretty fakemon that "look like" Pokémon.

And this new Gen 6... is for me the most disappoiting generation of all times, many Pokémon look like... fakemon...
Look: at Goodra and Barbaracle... The first is a slug of the Dragon type (are you Serious?) and the second is many hands stuck to each other (Huh?) and both of them don't look like Pokémon but more like some monster from Dragon Quest... especially that ugly and weird Barbacle...

If you want to make Fakemon that most people will relatively like, make them in a "Mega evolution fashion", by that I mean, some fakemon that is an evolution for Rapidash or some genetically modified Jynx and such...
I think that your opinion is invalid because the circumstances.
Old October 25th, 2013, 10:31 PM
RimasLT
My beautiful - Mazda 323F <333

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Skype™ to RimasLT
1. Pokemon Quartz ( all fakemons ) disturbing.
2.Pokemon Vega ( about 10 fakemons )

Old November 3rd, 2013, 03:28 PM
KuroSeka

its a Pokemon from

the "FAKE BLACK VERSION" i saw the cover and omg..xD
Old November 6th, 2013, 08:07 AM
21Pilots

There is a lot of amazing Fakemon designs and crazy talented Fakemon creators out there,just make a quick search on deviantart and you'll see.

Either the really talented Fakemon creators have no intention on making a hack or they do try to make a hack but scrap the project later on

And that leaves the subpar fakemon creators to make bunches of bad hacks with horrendous fakemon

Oh well...
Old November 19th, 2013, 05:13 PM
PokeEpicStudios
EpicStudios

I say Pokemon Marble's Fakemon

Old November 25th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Dystendo

A lot of fakemon in Quartz tie for ugliest fakemon. Any of those that isn't so bad that it's funny or has a doesn't have semi-creative concept behind it is a top contender.

As for Fakemon, I love them. I don't see why people hate them so much. Too much "I want to play the exact same game I've played a million times" mentality, I'm guessing. Even if they're ugly, at least they're a new idea trying to spice up the high and dry "battle and get muh badges through a linear region for 10 hours" that most hacks are. When I play a hack, I try to use as many fakemon as I can.

Although, if you add fakemon, they should be INSPIRED. You shouldn't have to force it. With hacks like Quartz and Marble, the main problem is that they just tried to cram the pokedex with whatever sprites they could, simply for the novelty of it. So what they ended up with is a bunch of uninspired, forced fakemon that weren't held to any appropriate personal standard on the part of their creator.
Old November 30th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Apollo
誰か

Nature: Hasty
I'm not a big Fakemon fan, but I can tolerate some of them. I think adding Fakemon to a game is good, it gives a little variety throughout the game. What I don't like about most Fakemon is not about the artwork nor the design, but the sprites. Most of these lack shading which basically makes them look flat, and it's not good. I don't like flat stuff.

Fakemon should also have creativity. Most Pokemon have some inspiration and something that distinguishes them from other Pokemon so Fakemon should have them too. I guess a few fillers are tolerable, but if every Fakemon in a game is a filler, then no. I don't want a game full of air conditioners with no meaning.

I don't like the idea of mixing Pokemon with Fakemon, unless if the Fakemon is a modified version of an existing Pokemon (such as a darker version of x, or a different form of y) or if the Pokemon was replaced in favor of a Pokemon from a later generation.
Old November 30th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Karinmo
☜(ˆ▽ˆ)
Community Supporter

As much respect I have towards the spriters in PKMN Quartz, some of the sprites weren't very good honestly. I didn't like using them, most were pretty ugly, but still, for all fakemon, its impressive.
Old November 30th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Rycanthropy
Wrecking Ball

Nature: Jolly
Quartz was the first complete hack I played, and I thoroughly enjoyed it too, but oh god some of those were just bad. There were a few good ones, but they weren't drawn in the traditional sprite style, so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post
Spoiler:

^This.
Get that promo
Old December 6th, 2013, 05:49 PM
mew2424

Nature: Brave
I agree with most people depends on the person and art design!
Old December 7th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Superjub
Pokémon Aureolin
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Niko View Post
I came in here expecting to see some people defending fakemon, but I was wrong :O
I think most fakemon are pretty creative, there are some that are messes though.

I actualy don't think that one is that bad
Hehe, I see what you did there.

I don't know if I really have a Fakemon I hate the most. Of the top of my head, some in Quartz looked very off, such as Baobo (sp?). However, despite that I did like quite a few of them and I liked how they were all Fakemon. For some reason something irks me when Fakemon are mixed in with regular Pokemon, especially if the style is very different. :\

Check out the new thread soon!

Old December 21st, 2013, 01:13 AM
Lost Lore
From the Shadows

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post
Spoiler:

^This.
Lol!

Anyway, yeah, some fakemon are pretty hideous looking... but it balances out, because people do awesome ones, too. The fact that people can come up with concepts for them period amazes me more than anything else, regardless of how-well executed they are.

They're not a turn off to me, though. If a hack has them... it's not like I'm forced to use them if I don't like them, is it? And if I find one I really like and do want to use it, it's something new to try.

Regions cleared: Johto | Hoenn | Sinnoh | Unova | (More? Let's finish these first~)
~*~*~

~*~*~
Icon credits.
Old December 21st, 2013, 05:49 AM
avaramoon
Mirage Of Tales

Nature: Brave
I actually really like the use of Fakemon - it helps bring you that feeling you had when you first got G/S/C after R/B/Y when there were all-new Pokémon to catch and find out about. it also makes you feel more like you're in the hack creator's world, kind of, Well, that's just my two cents.

^ Everything I said above applies only if the fakemon are well done. If they're like Quartz's quality... then yeah instant off put. No offence to Baro lol.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links