The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For all of your gaming needs! From console gaming to Let's Plays, this area encompasses all things relevant to gaming and gamers.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old Posted December 18th, 2013 (02:04 PM).
ShadowE
Competitive RTS gamer, also drunk
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
What games did you play in your childhood? Why did you play them and what about them made you like those games or even dislike them, cause we all had games we just disliked in our childhoods aswell, no?

Discuss :3
Old Posted December 18th, 2013 (02:45 PM).
Homura Akemi
time is f o r e v e r~

Nature: Quiet
Oh, time to talk about my life of games xD. Pardon for not much content, my memory barely keeps up with me now.

Need for Speed Underground all the way to Carbon..my primary racing games :3 It's just fun to create your own car, then own the streets!

Uhh...what else...oh, Sonic Heroes! This game was a classic for me, hours spent getting A ranks everywhere

"2014 sometimes leads to even better April Fools' jokes."
VM | PM | Gensokyo | Previously | Theme | Fan Club | | | | | |
Old Posted December 18th, 2013 (03:00 PM).
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Nature: Serious
Oh boy, big list. But I enjoy talking about my youth, here ya go! Click each link to see what the games are (via Wikipedia) if you're not sure of the title. But most of them should be easily recognizable.

Pokémon Blue and Red, Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9 and Tactics.

Rayman, Front Mission 3, Legend of Mana, Resident Evil, Fade to Black.

Super Smash Bros. and Pokémon Snap
Old Posted December 18th, 2013 (05:51 PM).
Peitharchia
& got to keep looking

For me, they would have to be Super Smash Brothers, Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Banjo-Kazooie, Star Fox 64, and F-Zero. Whenever I think about these games, they instantly remind me of my childhood. I used to play 'em all the time when I was a kid. xD There are plenty of other games, but for now, these are all that I can remember. I didn't dislike any of them, to be honest; I loved them all!
Old Posted December 18th, 2013 (06:36 PM).
Anna
(( and whisper my name as you do it ))
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
Well, until I was about nine all I had for video games was my grandparents' SNES. My brother and I basically only played Super Mario All-Stars, Donkey Kong Country 2, Mortal Kombat, Top Gear 2, and Megaman 7. He was a lot better at like all of them than I was except for Top Gear 2 and DKC 2, where we were pretty much equally atrocious.

I didn't like Mortal Kombat because a) I was bad at it, b) it was very violent, and c) I didn't get it. I was fairly neutral about Megaman 7- again, didn't get it and wasn't any good at it, but it was more colorful and interesting. I usually just watched my brother play that. We played Top Gear 2 in tournament-style competitions against our cousins, but it wasn't that interesting as a game lol. DKC2 and All-Stars were the ones we really played; we both sucked at the former but really enjoyed it lmao. The music was great and everything was cool-looking and the mechanics were interesting. For the latter... I was always better at Lost Levels and SMB3 (though we usually played that on two-player and that's a cooperative effort). My brother was better at SMB, and neither of us could ever figure out SMB2. So we liked everything but that one, because who doesn't like Mario?

My brother and I always played together on that system so we never really got into the RPGs and other miscellaneous games our uncle and grandpa had collected for it. Dad and Grandma and Grandpa were pretty consistent about taking away our playing privileges if we got angry at each other over the game or frustrated to the point of yelling, so we got better at teamwork and having fun with it despite failing pretty spectacularly. Those experiences taught us pretty good lessons about how to approach video games, I think.

maybe I'll come back later and talk about when we got a GBA lmao
Pairs +
Family +
Nakama +
Signature +
Old Posted December 18th, 2013 (08:22 PM).
Lord Scalgon
What title?

Nature: Brave
Send a message via AIM to Lord Scalgon
Too many to name...
  • Wolfenstein 3D
  • SimAnt
  • SimCity
  • SimCopter
  • Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty
  • Doom series
  • I.M.Meen (though FPS, but it's a "kids" game)
  • Shadowcaster (one word)
  • Vectorman
  • Descent series (Descent 1, Descent 2, Descent 3, Descent Freespace, Descent Freespace 2)
  • Grand Theft Auto (very first one)
  • Quake 1 and 2 (never played the other ones)
  • Total Annihilation
  • Worms 2
  • Warcraft II
  • StarCraft
  • Freelancer
(I know I missed a lot more...but it's what's from the top of my head.)

YouTube (mostly uploads of bullet hell shmups) || Extreme Perplexity - Dodging Hell (demo game created by me)
[may need voice actors for my puzzle game...VM me if interested]
Old Posted December 18th, 2013 (09:16 PM).
Aeroblast
Community Supporter

Very first game I ever got into was Crazy Arcade, which is bascially a multi-player Bomberman. I've also played Maplestory with my friends as well.

Moving into a more familiar territory, I really enjoyed playing Super Smash Bros. Melee when I visited US from Korea in 2003 with a friend I made there. I also played some SNES games like Super Mario World and Link to the Past, but there were also some lows as well, absolute low being the infamous Superman 64 game, which was so bad, it still haunts me to this day.
Old Posted December 20th, 2013 (12:52 PM).
Penta Penguin
The biggest underdog in the world

There is a megaton of games that I played in my childhood, so there is too many to name here. I will choose the best 5 that I did play:
Bubble Bobble (C64), Sonic (Master System), James Pond 2&3 (Genesis), Puggsy (Genesis) and High Seas Havoc (Genesis)
The reason I liked these games is because of watching my Da play them, so I decided to play them after he was done.

Next project: Pokemon Dark Nebula?

~Youtube~
Old Posted December 20th, 2013 (01:41 PM).
LauriJ

I remember owning quite a library on the original PlayStation. FFVIII was a cool game alongside Metal Gear Solid.
Old Posted December 21st, 2013 (01:19 AM).
Brendino
Oh good grief.

I don't know exactly when I'd place the cut-off date, but I remember spending a lot of my childhood playing Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Taz-Mania, Monopoly and NHL 95-97 on the Sega Genesis, Pokemon Gold on the Gameboy Color, and MLB 99 on the original Playstation.

And though I don't own my original Genesis console anymore, I still find myself playing both NHL 96 and Sonic 2 on emulators, which just shows how much fun I had (and am continuing to have) playing them.

(reduced activity through december, poke me if you need me)
Old Posted December 21st, 2013 (02:12 AM).
ShadowE
Competitive RTS gamer, also drunk
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Oh crap i thought i stated my childhood gaming life... yet i didnt... kill me now plz xD

It all started when my dad introduced me to a game named Red Alert. I started to know the game and we played some LAN matches against each other, him thinking he would beat a little kid, however, he got humiliated by me. Then i moved over to, imo the best RTS game ever, Tiberian Sun. I played this game so much that i never had time for friends. But soon i stopped playing on PC when i got a PS2, then i played tons of Ratchet and Clank and Need for Speed games. I also played a game named Spore on PC which used to be fun, but it got boring pretty fast. I still play a lot of games from my childhood and i still enjoy them :3
Old Posted December 21st, 2013 (04:26 AM).
Etikp

When i was small video game was more like a fantasy to me, but my dad bought still bought it for me (second hand) when i was 15. Duck hunt, contra, baseball, spartan, tank. This were the games i had access too. I know they kinda suck but for me i enjoyed it a lot
Old Posted December 21st, 2013 (06:22 AM).
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

My childhood games (the ones I can still remember haha) are:

- Crash Bandicoot series
- Spyro The Dragon series
- Yugioh: Duelist of the Roses
- Abe's Oddysee: Oddworld
- Pokemon Gold, Pokemon Blue, Red and Yellow
- Grand Theft Auto Vice City
- Monsters Inc.
Old Posted December 21st, 2013 (07:07 AM).
Blastin'Tyruntz
Boredom is so boring these days

Nature: Calm
I'm only 16 but hell i have lots of games!

Killer instinct (on the 64),mortal kombat (arcade), some mario even though i hate everything about mario (let the hate flow guys), i think i played zelda and pokemon yellow, god it reminded me of how much i hate Pikachu.

It's super-effective!
Paired to peopleZ
Old Posted December 24th, 2013 (06:56 PM).
Arron13
Calm, Relaxed, but Competative

Nature: Relaxed
When I was really little, we had a NES so I played Super Mario Bros 1,2,3, and this game called tiger heli. such a fun game.

Then we got a playstation 1. Spyro, and crash became my life. Also this rugrats game where you had to find these reptar puzzle pieces. That was my favorite game.
Old Posted December 24th, 2013 (07:09 PM).
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCroCohen View Post
I'm only 16 but hell i have lots of games!

Killer instinct (on the 64),mortal kombat (arcade), some mario even though i hate everything about mario (let the hate flow guys), i think i played zelda and pokemon yellow, god it reminded me of how much i hate Pikachu.
There exists another?

Welcome to the minority club, lol.

Let's hate that Italian cliche... together.
Old Posted December 24th, 2013 (07:58 PM). Edited December 24th, 2013 by Banz.
Banz

I played Super Mario Bros, Contra, Bomberman, Adventure Island, Castlevania, Excitebike and a lot of other NES games.
My first PC game was Wolf 3D.
And Snake 2 and Space Impact on phone.
Old Posted December 25th, 2013 (07:24 AM).
Starry Windy
Show Your Victory!
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
I can't number any much game that I played when I was a kid, but one of the games that I remember enjoy playing was Pocket Monsters (one of the NES bootleg game), I enjoyed playing as Pikachu while moving around and zaps or stomp the enemies. And one of the most memorable besides of that are Tetris, and Track and Field.
Pairs | PC Family | My PC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr
Old Posted December 25th, 2013 (03:14 PM).
OtakuVox

Nature: Jolly
I remember playing many games as a child!
But the ones I want to list out are:
Definitely Kingdom Hearts! I MEAN WYNAUT?
Final Fantasy
Bomberman
Sonic the Hedgehog
Combat Arms
Legend of Zelda
AND
EREMRAL:FKDJALSKDJASLKDJ ERMGERD Pokemon Red, Yellow, Gold, Emerald

Old Posted December 26th, 2013 (02:46 AM).
Bruce Banner
hi
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Bruce Banner
When I was a kid I would play any game that I could get my hands on, and still do. I remember playing Pokemon Stadium 64 and Pokemon Puzzle League the most as a child, being 3 or 4 that is.
Old Posted December 26th, 2013 (03:11 PM).
Creme

Nature: Mild
I got my first GBA not long after I came out, so.. when I was 7-ish? My first games were Zelda: Four Swords, Frogger, and Donkey Kong Country. I had various other games after that, and I didn't actually start playing Pokemon until a few years later.

For PC games, I played a lot of DOOM, Heretic, and a bit of Quake. The latter kind of creeped me out a lot as a kid, so I did have some trouble playing it at first. xD Toontown was my first online game, and I didn't really play any others until the age of 11-12.

Those were the only two platforms I ever really used until I got my Xbox a few years ago, as we never had the money to afford a console until then.
Old Posted December 27th, 2013 (05:10 PM).
DowntownDumpling

My childhood consisted mostly of PC games. Of particular note are Aladdin's Math Quest (which was actually really fun) and other educational games, Sonic 3, a few Need for Speed games (one day, though, my dad cracked our copy of Hot Pursuit in half because the intro showed someone driving away from the police), the first two Harry Potter games, and Pajama Sam. Oh, Pajama Sam. I want that back.

Until I was 10, by which point I didn't really think of myself as a kid anymore, my only actual game system was a GBA. Back then I had Pokemon Crystal, Super Mario Bros. 3, Shrek 2, Pokemon LeafGreen, and Top Gear Rally.
Old Posted December 27th, 2013 (08:12 PM).
Airhead
Merry Christmas because I DON'T KNOW

Super Smash Brother's Melee.

I always chose Zelda, always got flung off the edge by my brother, always threw the remote at the screen, then I insisted we played Mario Party on the Nintendo 64. :P

Good times. xD
Old Posted December 28th, 2013 (09:13 AM).
Dragon
ロイヤル ファミリー

Nature: Modest
mmm, my first video game was Super Mario Bros. and Ice Hockey (which was a split game), in which I remember playing with my dad a lot, which was fun! A couple of years later, (or at least as far as I remember) I played on the SNES with my cousins in Jamaica. We played Super Mario World, and Super Mario Bros. 2, in which I was kiiiinda bad at it and always played on the first levels, ahaha.

Soon I actually played a lot more games, which I'll list em':

• Kirby 64
  • Super Mario 64
  • Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • Dr. Mario 64
  • Diddy Kong Racing
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • Super Street Fighter II
  • Killer Instinct
  • Mortal Kombat

Annd loads more for the GBA, but, I'll share that another time!
Old Posted December 28th, 2013 (10:27 AM).
ElGuapoAssassin
Lord Of Dragons

It all started with Mario on Nintendo for me, then worked my way up to SEGA and religiously played Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter. Then once the PS1 came out I played pretty much everything I could get my hands on, my favorite game as a kid I remember playing a lot was Twisted Metal and Primal Rage. Then as I got older I played a lot of Tony Hawk and Final Fantasy games until the PS2 came out.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links