The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For non-Pokémon related game discussion. This area is for talking about computer and video gaming, from Nintendo to Sony, Microsoft to Sega, PC to Commodore.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 27th, 2013, 11:48 PM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ๖ۣۜTiara View Post
Around the end of next/this month, I'm going to give trade in AC: New Leaf, a birthday present from my biggest brother. Already have a kick-ass file on my other brother's game and sassy villagers, though I was thinking... I kinda want my own town, with my own traditions, my own mayor, my own everything. Although I did a lot of work to get everything, I feel incomplete, and I think I know why.

My name, Arrietty.

Love/hate situation here, I don't want it but I do. :I And it's not like I have any other names I like better, though Cory/Tory are reeaaaally cute. And even if I DO find a name, what about the face???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidtheDeadPhilosopher View Post
I'll warn you in advance, Drakengard can be quite grindy at times, more so if your looking to find and complete all the weapons, and other things that I don't want to mention in leiu of spoilers.

If you can get past that though, Drakengard has one of the darkest and interesting stories as far as that genre goes. (It takes heavy inspiration from Neon Genesis Evangelion, so if you've seen that anime, you might have an idea at what sort of direction this game takes) It's one of my guilty pleasure games for sure. The fact that every weapon has a backstory is super cool. Love it to tears even though many levels in that game frustrate me greatly.

If any of the plot elements get confusing, try looking up a plot synopsis, as the english version of the game cuts out parts of plot that were deemed um..idk...bad for english people I guess. It makes the story sort of disjointed because some of the cuts remove plot elements that were somewhatish important to understand the plot in some situations.
Yeah its the story that's throwing me off more then the gameplay. I've played most of the Dynasty Warriors, so the grinding isn't go be as bad as it would for anyone else, and the dragon bits are interesting enough. But the story, man. I've played Nier for a bit so I knew what I was getting into, but this is worse. Much worse.
Old December 27th, 2013, 11:53 PM
Airhead
Banned

Nature: Quirky
Uh, you quoted me but didn't reply. O.e

Well, I won't start a new file on that one, but maybe my brother's, since I have permission and all.... buuuuuuut...

I DUNNO! D:
Old December 28th, 2013, 12:08 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Yeah, start a new file. Animal Crossing always feels a bit more special when you get to start the town on your own. Everything and anything in their is a personal achievement, and a milestone of your progress.
Old December 28th, 2013, 12:19 AM
Airhead
Banned

But my sister has been playing my brother's file and we are both highly accomplished Weeder's who are both stunning and have beautiful fashion. ;-; If I delete that file, then I have to work myself up to fame aaaaall over again. Plus my sister won't be too happy, since she is the town's Florist, though the only colour she is interested in planting is pink cosmos, something which clashes with the autumn ground and the mostly neon blue houses.

And what differences would there be? Besides my face, name, the towns name, the town, the villagers and the work and effort I had to go through ALL over again. But as you said, owning your own town is funner then living in somebody else's. Still... I think I better hold a council meeting with the band of Siblings, make everything a little more easier.

And what about Rosie? The lil' blue cat which moved in yesterday? I NEED HER!! WE SHARE THE SAME NAME!! ;-; Plus Diva and Carmen are pretty rad. :P

Dudes, I need help, big time.
Old December 28th, 2013, 12:22 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Yeah, once you get attached to an existing village I guess its over really. If you're also sharing the file it could be harder as well, so I honestly dunno. One of the perks of being the only gamer for miles.
Old December 28th, 2013, 12:33 AM
Airhead
Banned

My older brother gave me that game and he had ME in mind, and I love that game. If I were to sell that, I wouldn't be selling a game, I'd be selling a bit of affection. So nah, I'm gonna play that game! >:D

By Captain Hook or by cook. C:<
Old December 28th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Well then, that's settled I guess? If he gave you the game, then do with it what you want. I'm sure your sis won't mind.
Old December 28th, 2013, 07:32 AM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil View Post
I've played most of the Dynasty Warriors, so the grinding isn't go be as bad as it would for anyone else
...Wait, what does Dynasty Warriors have to do with grinding? I mean, I've been playing since the original (DW2), and I can't really say that I'd associate any of them with grinding.
Old December 28th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Grinding your way through the hordes of enemies is what I meant.
Old December 28th, 2013, 08:07 AM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

Quote:
Grinding your way through the hordes of enemies is what I meant.
Oh, didn't realize that Drakengard was an Action game. Before today I'd only ever known the name. Well I don't think that grinding should be a problem. One thing that I love about Action RPGs more than pretty much any other branch of RPG is that ARPGs are completely dependent on the player, and leveling only makes things either. Rarely will you not be able to hurt someone because you're too low a level, and in most of those cases they're still beatable.

So, in the traditional RPG sense, grinding shouldn't be necessary. Now, if by "grinding" you're referring to the point of the genre of "Crowd Fighting", well...I've been looking at the gameplay, and I can see why it'd be jarring. It seems to be much slower paced than other Crowd Fighters (especially thanks to the squads being of a smaller size), though not slow enough that I'd dismiss it entirely.

Also, since NGE was mentioned...is its plot similar in tone or in theme? By that I mean, is it just as dark as NGE or does it spout a lot of Christian themes and ideas the way Evangelion does?
Old December 28th, 2013, 11:37 PM
Airhead
Banned

Okay, started a new file, had the second face, named character Korrin and I'm a hundred-thousand-air with a cute kitty hood and some sass. C: And since I could connect with my brother's other New Leaf, I got a fancy new hairstyle and a Megaphone and stuff. Working out good so far! Thanks for the support/advice, guys! ^^

My villager's are kinda dull and my arch-enemy Tucker is moving in, so I'm particularly bummed out, since it's gonna take a month or two for him to move out. xD
Old December 28th, 2013, 11:56 PM
Bruce Banner
Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Bruce Banner
Cool! I'm up for some New Leaf if you guys ever want to play. My town's full of clutter! xD
Old December 28th, 2013, 11:58 PM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
I just got New Leaf and my villagers are... idk I like 'em. I like my two squirrels and my elephant who is just the cutest and I keep just sending him all the kiddie stuff I keep getting from other villagers haha. Not sure about my gorilla though and my wolf (Lobo) is p chill though he stays up really freakin' late like oh my god.

And I swear my pig is a masochist because he gave me a barbeque the other day y e p. I think the only villager I'm really eh about is my gorilla whatever she's called. Debating ignoring her so she will move out oops. But I'm having fun overall and looking forward to seeing who I get for the ninth villager and who I can snag from the campsite for my tenth. ♥
Old December 29th, 2013, 12:15 AM
Airhead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryPeaches View Post
I just got New Leaf and my villagers are... idk I like 'em. I like my two squirrels and my elephant who is just the cutest and I keep just sending him all the kiddie stuff I keep getting from other villagers haha. Not sure about my gorilla though and my wolf (Lobo) is p chill though he stays up really freakin' late like oh my god.

And I swear my pig is a masochist because he gave me a barbeque the other day y e p. I think the only villager I'm really eh about is my gorilla whatever she's called. Debating ignoring her so she will move out oops. But I'm having fun overall and looking forward to seeing who I get for the ninth villager and who I can snag from the campsite for my tenth. ♥
I had Lobo on Wild World, and believe me, every time I talked to him I got a gift... or an invitation to his house. xD He was one of the best villager's ever, so when he moved away I was devastated. ;-; He never wrote to me again. ;c (who knew it could be so heartbreaking, haha)

Are you talking about Rasher? because if so I hate that pig. xD He keeps calling me 'Swine' and he makes all of the other villagers mad. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
Cool! I'm up for some New Leaf if you guys ever want to play. My town's full of clutter! xD
I wish I could, but lack of Wifi is being mean! D: I wish I had it, it'd be so awesome to play online with Nathan (Genesis) or Sky or somethin', that'd be killer. C:

Last edited by Airhead; December 29th, 2013 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old December 29th, 2013, 12:27 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
haha yeah I've been invited to his house two days in a row or something now. I won't be surprised at all if Lobo asks me to come visit his house again tomorrow hahaha. And no my pig's name is Chops. Which makes him seem like even more of a masochist. He's pretty cool though; main complaint I have is that he changed from his awesome japanese clothes that totally matched his awesome room to a rainbow shirt which makes no sense at all. 8(
Old December 29th, 2013, 05:11 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
Oh, didn't realize that Drakengard was an Action game. Before today I'd only ever known the name. Well I don't think that grinding should be a problem. One thing that I love about Action RPGs more than pretty much any other branch of RPG is that ARPGs are completely dependent on the player, and leveling only makes things either. Rarely will you not be able to hurt someone because you're too low a level, and in most of those cases they're still beatable.
Yep. But you don't only have to grind for your characters level, but for 63 different weapons. See, each weapon has 3 levels to raise, each with some more backstory. And to do this you need to down several thousand mooks for each one. Its a very slow crawl, but worth it mo.
Quote:
So, in the traditional RPG sense, grinding shouldn't be necessary. Now, if by "grinding" you're referring to the point of the genre of "Crowd Fighting", well...I've been looking at the gameplay, and I can see why it'd be jarring. It seems to be much slower paced than other Crowd Fighters (especially thanks to the squads being of a smaller size), though not slow enough that I'd dismiss it entirely.
Like I said above, its not the speed of the crowd fighting, just the sheer scale you need to go through for a 100% completion.
Quote:
Also, since NGE was mentioned...is its plot similar in tone or in theme? By that I mean, is it just as dark as NGE or does it spout a lot of Christian themes and ideas the way Evangelion does?
Its very dark. Not sure on the religious part, but I'm not really far enough to know. If you've ever played Nier, its from the same guy.
Old December 29th, 2013, 05:19 AM
Spinosaurus

Animal Crossing is one game that I can get addicted to for two weeks or a month then I hit a point where I think "so...now what?" and then stop playing for years and write off the series.

I kinda hate it, mostly because I hate games that are designed to get you addicted for way too many hours. Ah yeah see, this is the effect of me writing off the series that I was talking about.
Old December 29th, 2013, 05:20 AM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

Quote:
Yep. But you don't only have to grind for your characters level, but for 63 different weapons. See, each weapon has 3 levels to raise, each with some more backstory. And to do this you need to down several thousand mooks for each one. Its a very slow crawl, but worth it mo.

Like I said above, its not the speed of the crowd fighting, just the sheer scale you need to go through for a 100% completion.

Its very dark. Not sure on the religious part, but I'm not really far enough to know. If you've ever played Nier, its from the same guy.
Well then I guess I'll try it out. I've known about it for years and I've heard good things, not to mention that I love ARPGs, so I might as well.
Old December 29th, 2013, 01:17 PM
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post

I never had the chance to finish NGE, but as far as I know, it's the tone. In fact, it's scary how both NGE and Drakengard can pretty much emulate each other as far as "feels" go.

I just picked the game up again a few days ago because of this discussion, and you know what I remembered almost immediatly. I...hate....the...music...so...much. After spending more then 30 minutes in a stage it gets maddening. Maybe it's just me though. Here have a listen to the first stage music for yourselves, I can't be the only one.

First Chapter-Ground (Link)
Old December 29th, 2013, 05:35 PM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

I see what you're saying. It's not melodic enough to be memorable or catchy, and rather than being one song it takes from several melodic to create a dark atmospheric piece. The songs that they borrow from are classics, but they use them to make an almost gritty, dark atmospheric piece that seems like it would certainly be grating after a while.
Old December 30th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Spinosaurus

I finished The Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds...

Anyone who owns a 3DS, pick this game up, now. It is easily on par with Kid Icarus Uprising as the best 3DS game there is, and is absolutely perfect in its design. You're doing yourself a huge disfavor otherwise. Easily Game of the Year material, even better than all the other common nominees in my experience. Gamestop chose wisely.

I'll be writing about it as my recommendation for tomorrow in my thread here. While I'm at it, I'd like to take my time to raise awareness towards the thread and ask people to participate if they could. Would suck if only I post in a thread with so much potential.
Old December 30th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Somniac
Probably sleeping.
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
I finished The Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds...

Anyone who owns a 3DS, pick this game up, now. It is easily on par with Kid Icarus Uprising as the best 3DS game there is, and is absolutely perfect in its design. You're doing yourself a huge disfavor otherwise. Easily Game of the Year material, even better than all the other common nominees in my experience. Gamestop chose wisely.

I'll be writing about it as my recommendation for tomorrow in my thread here. While I'm at it, I'd like to take my time to raise awareness towards the thread and ask people to participate if they could. Would suck if only I post in a thread with so much potential.
I was thinking of getting A Link Between Worlds for my S.O. but after reading that I might just get it for myself.
Or I might get it for myself in secret, play it through in it's entirety, then wrap it and give it to her anyway.

I'm an evil genius.

I'll check that thread out in a bit, it does seem like a great notion.
Old December 30th, 2013, 03:33 PM
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
While I'm at it, I'd like to take my time to raise awareness towards the thread and ask people to participate if they could. Would suck if only I post in a thread with so much potential.
Got'cha back, brother. Posted there moments ago.
Old December 30th, 2013, 03:36 PM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

I'll be posting there soon. Maybe this'll give me some sort of drive to review again.
Old December 30th, 2013, 07:33 PM
T!M
Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner

Nature: Serious
Wanted to share this:

Spoiler:

It's my current desktop. I made it myself, it's more or less a prototype.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here