The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Pokémon Essentials

Notices

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 4th, 2014, 11:48 AM
bartyboy6

I like to implement Triple Triad in my game, but I'd rather have the player buy Booster Packs each containing a random card instead of buying each card individually. How do I do that and if possible, can I implement a level system so that, for example, a level 3 booster pack contains cards from level three or lower.
Old January 4th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Yep, that's possible.

Create a new item called TT Booster Pack (or something). It'll be an item you can use out of battle (like Repel), and its effect will be to give the player a random card. The item will be consumed in the process, like Repel. You can have multiple such items, each one containing a different set of cards.

A Triple Triad card is nothing more than a Pokémon species. Card number 25 is a Pikachu, for instance. To generate a list of possible cards that a booster pack can provide, use something like this:

Code:
array=[]
for i in 1..PBSpecies.maxValue
  cname=getConstantName(PBSpecies,i) rescue nil
  next if !cname   # Skip if the species doesn't exist
  triad=TriadCard.new(i)
  level=[triad.north,triad.south,triad.east,triad.west].max
  next if level>3   # Skip if the card doesn't match the criteria
  array.push(i)   # Add card to array
end
The above code makes a list of all cards of level 3 or lower. Of course, your criteria can be different depending on the booster pack, such as different level limits, elemental types, habitats, or be a predefined list of contents (e.g. legendaries pack). You could get quite interesting with this.

Just pick a random entry in the array and give it to the player. Simple.
Old January 5th, 2014, 02:13 AM
bartyboy6

Thanks, but there's one problem: I have like zero knowledge about scripting. how do I use that code, how do I give the player those random cards?
Old January 5th, 2014, 05:16 AM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

You're welcome to learn how to script if you want to script. I've already told you (twice) exactly what you can copy, and given you the majority of the code you'll need.

Sponsored Links