Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation
Reload this Page 4th Generation: Difficulty.

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Old November 7th, 2013 (12:03 PM). Edited November 7th, 2013 by Typhon.
'sup

Nature: Timid
Did you find D/P/Pt difficult? Was HG/SS easier? Or was there a certain battle that was too overwhelming?

Diamond/Pearl were definitely easier then Platinum. The Distortion World, the increased levels: Platinum was a tiny but more challenging. Even though you couldn't tell. I struggled on Fantina, and Volkner. Gawd her Mismagius is tough! ( I chose Chimchar >:D ) The battle with Cyrus in the Distortion World was relatively easy. But if you get no luck, boom :<

Now, I have mixed thoughts about HG/SS. It was fun playing through, but I really did STRUGGLE against some battles. And I think you know what I'm talking about. Yes. That cursed Whitney! :( Morty was also quite difficult. Much more then he was in G/S/C. That Shadow Ball really 1-Hit-KO's like... EVERYTHING. And Lugia was a pain to catch too! Throwing hundreds of THOUDANDS of Dusk Balls isn't really idea, especially when they're going to waste.

The Kanto Gym Leaders... were meh. They weren't too hard if you had the type advantage, and you knew what you were doing. They weren't level boosted enough, for the battle with Red. They're at 50-60's, while he's at 80s. :o He was tough if you weren't prepared. He would be a very easy target if your Pokémon were... like around level 60-70? But yeah, if you're like at level 50 it was a struggle... again. lmao :P

What about you? Post below! :D
Old November 7th, 2013 (12:35 PM).
Shall we get down to business?

Nature: Calm
beat soulsilver along time ago and the only thing for me was the elite 4/ champ the 1st time and serbinas gym. every thing else was a breeze I thought red would be super hard but na tranitar for the win.

X & Y friend code - 1418-6708-9370
Currently working on perfect Iv team- (Diggersby)
Old November 8th, 2013 (12:26 AM).
& having to receive it

I found Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum to be a lot more challenging. The Pokémon that NPCs had were very high-leveled. Not only that, but their teams were quite strategic as well. If one Pokémon had a certain weakness, they always had something to cover it up. From these games, one of the toughest trainers I had ever faced was Fantina. In D/P, she had a Drifblim. It had Minimize in its moveset, which it took good advantage of. Due to this move, it was nearly impossible to land a hit on this Pokémon. And in Plat, she had a Mismagius on her team, who was able to wreak havoc with Shadow Ball, Psybeam, and Magical Leaf. Volkner was also pretty tough. When I had first faced him, it took me three - four tries to finally defeat him. As for HeartGold and SoulSilver, they were quite difficult, too, but not as hard as D/P/Pt. d:
Old November 12th, 2013 (07:33 PM).
Administrator
CS

HG/SS was one of the easiest Pokemon games I've played. D/P/Pt caused me to struggle several times along the way, especially against Maylene, Fantina, and Cynthia, so yes; I do think D/P/Pt were harder. Not really hard per-se but harder than a lot of other Pokemon games I've played.
Old November 12th, 2013 (07:46 PM).

Nature: Bold
The only Pokemon game I really remember struggling with was Platinum. HG and Pearl weren't hard at all, I don't recall failing any gyms (I got a female starter so Whitney wasn't a problem.)
Old November 16th, 2013 (03:55 AM).

in D/P, it was mostly easy, but there were multiple struggle points:
-first gym's cranios. stop spamming headbutt and persuit.
-windworks' purugly. YOU KILLED MY NUZLOCKE TEAM (I started a new one).
-second gym's roserade. stun spore + sludge bomb means fire types have the potential to be KO'd
-fifth gym's mismagus. I hate confuse ray.
-sixth gym's bastiodon. used struggle last time.
-cyrus' crobat. bulk + power = electric types have struggles (electric monotypes even).
-bug elite four's vespiqueen. spammed defend order and heal order to waste your pp AND ko you
-cinthia's garchomp. extremely fast, OHKOs or 2HKOs most of your team, extremely high leveled, and at the end of the elite four. where do I begin...?
Pichu Solo Run (post-game)
Budew Solo Run
Azurill Solo Run
friend safari: Bug (Paras, Vivilion, Masquerain) FC 2621-2615-8242
Old November 16th, 2013 (12:50 PM).
Murderous Magikarp

Nature: Hasty
with platinum it took me seven hours of grinding before the elite 4. TBF I had done no training whatsoever throughout the entire game, and I came in leveled at about 39. After a few million years I got to level 57 all round and destroyed everything.
Old November 16th, 2013 (03:20 PM).
the pretender

Nature: Lax
Ehh, I remember Cynthia being an absolute pain the first time I played Platinum. It took me about what, fifteen tries? And the only reason I succeeded was that Garchomp picked Dragon Rush over Earthquake. Lucky, I suppose. As for the harder between the two, probably D/P/Pt. They were some of the first games I had played from the franchise, so my adventure was basically an experiment. If I were to replay it again, it'd still be harder by a long shot. Higher levels, more challenges, good Pokemon, all that.

Onwards to HG/SS! It's an easy game if you ask me. There are probably about one or two challenging battles but with a good team, they're pretty easy. The only fight that I struggled with was probably Lance's rematch team. There was a huge spam of dragons everywhere and my only comeback was Ice Fang. Impressive I know. I still don't know how I got past him but oh well. :p
Old November 16th, 2013 (04:08 PM).
KANTO Champion

Nature: Relaxed
The games themselves weren't all that hard, I did struggle with the champions though.
Cynthia and her mixture of types, and she had a Garchomp, and my team was atleast 7 levels lower.
Lance and his mighty dragons.
Red, just omg =_=...
Old November 17th, 2013 (07:30 AM).
What am I to do?
Platinum Tier

When I first played through Diamond back in 2007, it wasn't really challenging. Although, I do recall my first runthrough of Platinum to be somewhat difficult. Now, though, D/P are incredibly hard, and Platinum's way too easy.

HeartGold and SoulSilver were, is, and always will be cakewalks for me.
Old November 25th, 2013 (01:57 PM).
helloiamuncreativewithusernames helloiamuncreativewithusernames is offline

HG/SS was MUCH more challenging for me than D/P/Pt.

In Platinum (I have Platinum), you are against trainers and gym leaders with good leveled Pokemon and wild Pokemon were at a reasonable level. This made training far easier.
In Soul Silver (I have Soul Silver), the trainers and wild Pokemon are low levels, the gym leaders are higher levels. This mainly shows after the first two gyms. It is difficult to train and you really need the right type advantages, which isn't always possible.

In Platinum, I have 6 usable Pokemon (ones that will be on my team). When I got to the Pokemon League, they ranged from level 49 - 52, 10 - 13 levels below the strongest.
In Soul Silver, I have 4 usable Pokemon not counting Lugia*. When I got to the Pokemon League, not counting Lugia, they ranged from level 38 - 41, 9 - 11 levels below the strongest.

You may notice that my Platinum team has a lower level in comparison to the Elite Four. BUT, I have 6 Pokemon in Platinum, and 4 not counting Lugia in Soul Silver! That's kind of sad.

*I did not count Lugia because I have not yet leveled it up from its original level 45.
Old November 25th, 2013 (09:49 PM).
Just a bit of torment

There was a massive spike in difficulty in HG/SS post Elite 4. I was under leveled against most of the Kanto gyms. Then there's Red...
Old December 9th, 2013 (07:42 PM).
♥ maraala ♥

Nature: Bold
HGSS was hella easy right up until Blackthorn. I never have a team very good against Clair's and then struggled through the E4 due to a hatred of grinding. And then it was smooth sailing again until Red, pretty much. DPPt was more balanced imo in terms of not getting so very stuck in places.

Of course, this is coming from a challenge perspective since that was the last thing I did on HG. So I had rare type advantages/it was rare when I wasn't at a disadvantage. But I still remember Platinum being challenging but never getting as atrociously stuck.
Dwebble - #184
pairs - ama - gravity falls fc - minecraft
Old December 9th, 2013 (08:02 PM).
shotgun rider
CS

Nature: Brave
HGSS was easier only because I played Silver before, but there were things in the game that were added and I wasn't really familiar with it at all (like 4th gen items, evolutions, etc). The playthough was easy, just that there were some unexpected elements.

D/P/Pt were incredibly challenging. I got lost on my first playthrough...after beating the first gym, I headed to a different town which turned out to be the fifth gym O__o
Old December 27th, 2013 (05:49 AM).
The Water Nerd Guy

Nature: Brave
HG/SS were such a pain went it came to grinding and training. The wild pokemon would always be 10 - 15 levels lower than what the trainers are. When you go to Kanto, all the pokemon there are the same levels as if you were starting over. When you are training for Red, the strongest is early 50s. So HG/SS were hard in that manner. But when I am not training and underleveled, HG/SS was just a breeze. To me, those games were kind of unbalanced when it comes to levels.
Old December 29th, 2013 (02:45 PM).

For me, HG/SS were a breeze for me, as I just gathered a good team by the second gym [Geodude, Ekans, etc] and just blazed through the game, I even beat red quite easily. D/P/PT however was a bit more challenging. Like X/Y, you don't get the best selection at the first of the game, and requires you to grind with four good pokemon till you get later in the game.

Old December 31st, 2013 (01:15 PM).
space dorito
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
I actually found HG/SS quite difficult, especially if you're the one who picks Chikorita as your starter because it struggles against so many opponents in the game given that Johto is packed full of trainers using Bug, Poison, Fire and Flying-types meaning you'll often need a team that can back it up. I did find D/P/Pt slightly easier though because, unlike HG/SS the wild Pokemon in Sinnoh were not too weak to grind against and of course the Vs. Seeker is always there when you need to farm money or train your Pokemon against the trainers that give more EXP points. Also, another reason why I found the Sinnoh games quite easy was because of how strong the early route bird in said games, Staraptor, was.

And HG/SS has quite a big level spike once you battle the Kanto Gyms.
Old December 31st, 2013 (05:33 PM). Edited January 1st, 2014 by curiousnathan.
give me the words
CS

Nature: Mild
Both series of games (DPPt and HGSS) proved challenging for me at certain stages, but overall were pretty easy. The Elite Four in Diamond, I found brutal. Flint, Lucian an CYNTHIA has no problems destroying my team. In HGSS Whitney and Claire were tough opponents to defeat, but the Elite Four was easy.

Both games had their hard parts, but for me both series of games were actually rather easy.
Old January 1st, 2014 (04:42 AM).
Eat it to believe it.
Silver Tier

I never found any of those games hard. Diamond and Pearl were easy, Platinum was a little difficult, HeartGold and SoulSilver were a little difficult but more difficult than Platinum.

Even though they are all easy, I found Platinum a little difficult because, Lucian actually knocked three of my Pokémon for the first time. HeartGold and SoulSilver were the most difficult of them all, the first time I found it a little difficult was the battle with Clair. The battle ended fast but you got to admit that it was destructive as I only had one Pokémon left with 3 Hit Points. The second time was with Blue, I knew Blue was going to be somewhat difficult so I planned things first before battling, but then things didn't go as expected but I still had two of my Pokémon. The last time was my rematch with the Elite Four, I first thought that they had the same team but with higher levels and new moves, but I never knew that they had new Pokémon like Absol, Salamence, Garchomp and Bronzong.

Overall they were quite easy, I felt cool after experiencing those battles and finishing the game for the first time.
I finished those games the year they were released in the English version, that is.
Old January 1st, 2014 (08:40 AM).
Pokkens

Nature: Modest
The Sinnoh League in Platinum has to be one of the most challenging Leagues in any vanilla game. The Pokemon used by each of the Elite had a great level of diversity. There were phyiscal attackers (Infernape, Garchomp, Scizor) and then there were walls (Spritomb, Bronzong, Rhyperior, Gliscor).

In addition, this Elite Four used FULLY EVOLVED Pokemon for the first time. There were no second evo's to be found. This League to me, was one of the first that was a real challenge. I beat it in my first try but not without using ~30 Revives and Restores.

This one was a real grind.
MAL
RYM
Formerly "Someday"
Old January 1st, 2014 (10:45 PM).

D/P/Pt were the harder games. I've always found myself struggling near the end because my team was underleveled, haha. I would always dread meeting Barry, for some reason. He just shows up whenever I want to get to the PokeCenter...!

HG/SS were definitely less of a challenge. I remember back in G/S the Kanto section was just easy to breeze through, and while they somewhat fixed that in HG/SS, my team was always a few levels higher than theirs. I think the only trouble I had was with Clair's Pokemon. Those Dragon-types were so painful to deal with, haha. Oh-- I remember my first battle with Red back when the games were released. It lasted close to an hour! Good times...
Old January 2nd, 2014 (10:20 AM).
Fairy Queen

I didn't find any of them incredibly difficult.
I remember having some trouble with Platinum's Elite 4, but nothing from HGSS threw me off, mostly because I had a solid team from the 3rd gym onwards.
Old January 2nd, 2014 (10:50 PM).
Grass-man

Nature: Modest
DP were really hard for me, gardenia's roserade, fantina's mismaguis, candice's... everything (i had torterra) and cynthia's garchomp kept knocking all my pokemon, it was really hard

Platinum was easier, I think it was more balanced, and cynthia's garchomp was 4 levels lower (thankfully)

I'm actually playing righ now Soul Silver for my first time (I played a lot the silver and crystal versions), It's kinda weird haha my pokemon are on lvl 36 before the final gym, that would'nt be enough to knock DPP's sixth gym but I guess that's how the game is...
Champion of the Single Grass Monotype Challenge on Pokémon Sapphire
Champion of the Nuzlocke Challenge on Pokémon Platinum
"No man can eat 50 eggs" - Tré Cool
I battle competitively with my favorite Pokémon, not with the most used or the ones with the better stats, copy this in your sig if you do it too.
Old January 5th, 2014 (08:01 AM).
California Dreamin'
Platinum Tier

I actually found Diamond, Pearl & Platinum to be somewhat of a challenge, with the Elite Four members having teams of five Pokémon ranging from 50-70.
Old January 5th, 2014 (03:50 PM).
Toxic.

Diamond and Pearl were mostly easy for me, except for Lucian at the end. I could easily KO all his Pokemon, until his Bronzong. I don't know why, but I didn't have a single Fire type move on my team, and my entire team was underleveled. I kept losing, and the only reason I eventually won was because of a crit. Yay, I guess.

I never played Platinum, but I don't think it would have been too hard for me (after DP was when I got into competitive battling, and actually got somewhat good). Hopefully I would have chosen a Fire type during that run-through.

As for HG/SS, I actually found them to be a breeze, even Whitney. My team was really overleveled, due to my grinding a lot. I think I already had a Feraligatr by the time I battled Miltank, which I guess made it easy.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links