The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Technology & Internet

Notices

Technology & Internet The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 7th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Vital
ignore the whisper
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Vital
Figured this would be a good place to ask, but how bad is 3G compared to 4G? I have unlimited data, so I'm pondering how exactly to distribute my 500MB of 4G
Old January 7th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Zach
Sniiiii~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Figured this would be a good place to ask, but how bad is 3G compared to 4G? I have unlimited data, so I'm pondering how exactly to distribute my 500MB of 4G :P
Maybe someone else can describe it better than me, but in a nutshell: think of 3G having similar speeds to DSL, and think of 4G having similar speeds to fiber broadband. Not sure exactly on how fast both are on average, but 4G is usually quite faster than 3G.
Fairy
Old January 7th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Vital
ignore the whisper
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Vital
I remember having DSL back in the day, haha. That isn't as bad as I thought it'd be. Okay, another question, how much data does messaging take, any idea? D: Like I kik or Facebook Messenger. Sorry for all the questions, I'm so ignorant lmao
Old January 7th, 2014, 06:54 PM
countryemo
The Day I've been running from
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to countryemo
I dont remember, but I think it uses the exact same, or maybe even a little less. Though you defiantly will be seeing yourself using it more.

Old January 7th, 2014, 10:14 PM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
It depends on your definition of "3G".

If your definition of 3G includes 3.5G networks, like HSPA+, well, things get... interesting. HSPA+ networks are capable of up to 42 Mbps downstream given the best possible mobile HSPA+ modem on the market, and you'll usually find them in flagship smartphones. I certainly don't really need LTE for now if HSPA+ is more than enough for me.

"Defiantly". This might be the best autocorrect-induced typo, even on desktop computers. :3 It changes the tone of a sentence by a long shot!

Trident case on a phone with a browser with the Trident rendering engine :#
Old January 8th, 2014, 01:24 AM
Zach
Sniiiii~

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryemo View Post
I dont remember, but I think it uses the exact same, or maybe even a little less. Though you defiantly will be seeing yourself using it more.
Correct. Data usage ≠ data speeds. I'm not sure about this, but I believe you can check out statistics on individual apps to see how much data they're using as well.
Fairy
Old January 8th, 2014, 02:57 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

I'm figuring out whether I can use a case intended for a 520 in a 525. If I can, things just got a lot easier. From pictures and specifications, it seems like both devices have identical looks and doesn't differ in size and weight at all, with the same layout fir everything.
Old January 8th, 2014, 03:04 AM
Archer
a.k.a: ethan.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkula View Post
If you still have the same case, it's nowhere near the size of a Defender. They're just big and bulky. I had one on my old phone and, while it's built like a tank, it more than doubled the size of it. Plus the rubber on them doesn't hold up very well...the case that I have (which is the same as yours) has actually held up much better on this phone.

And guys I ordered an SSD for my desktop. Looking forward to installing that Wednesday when it gets here. \o/
I've never used a case. I've tried them and I just can't stand the extra bulk. I'm very careful, though, so my phone is in really good condition, despite 3 years of case-less use.

If it's your first SSD, you're in for a nice surprise. The ONLY downsides are reduced space (not really an issue for a desktop with data drives) and that it makes it hard to go back to anything else
Old January 8th, 2014, 03:36 AM
Endless
& heading that way

Nature: Careful
Send a message via AIM to Endless
I'm pretty careful with my phones as well, but still put cases on them. If they ended up getting scratched somehow, then I simply wouldn't be able to stand it. :p Cases do get dirty very easily (well, at least most of them), but it's honestly not that much of a hassle to clean them.
Old January 8th, 2014, 03:41 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

I fond a cheap, decent clear phone case for my 525. Turns out the 520 and 525 are the same phone as far as physical cases and covers are concerned.

Next up: a real screen protector. Matte, preferably. These reflections are quite a bit more annoying than what I am used to, due to the presence of an air gap and the lack of polarizers. A high display brightness can only do so much.

It's kind of difficult to press the buttons, since the case covers them, but I suspect double-tap to wake and virtual shutter buttons will prove useful.

EDIT: This might be the worst case I've used yet - I have removed it, but it wont be going to the can yet. It got annoying.

Last edited by Twiggy; January 8th, 2014 at 04:21 AM.
Old January 8th, 2014, 04:51 AM
Zach
Sniiiii~

I have glossy screen protectors on all of my devices.. didn't realize they made matted screen protectors haha
Fairy
Old January 8th, 2014, 04:54 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

I'm not even sure whether I want to put anything on my devices in the future. Cases kind of ruin a device's appearance. If not designed well, they might also interfere with the operation.
Old January 8th, 2014, 05:43 AM
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
All of my screens don't have protectors. I hate what they do to such a brilliant screen.
Old January 8th, 2014, 06:14 AM
★Dark Soul Umbreon★
Totally not a furry

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to ★Dark Soul Umbreon★
My iPhone screen doesn't have a protector either. I just hate the idea of it. If I want a clean screen, I just spray a little glass cleaner on a paper towel and wipe it down. Simple enough xD

Heh, you mad Akita? -Troll Face-
Old January 8th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Zach
Sniiiii~

The main reason I use protectors is so that I don't get scratches on them.. and I lied earlier: I lack a protector on my 3DS XL's upper screen, and because it doesn't have a protector on it, it has a scratch on it :(
Fairy
Old January 8th, 2014, 07:25 AM
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
Yeah those are cheaper screens than you see in most phones. Mine is a $700 phone with corning gorilla glass 3 so I'm not too worried.
Old January 8th, 2014, 09:53 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

The display on the 520 and the 525 are just normal IPS LCD displays covered with scratch-resistant glass. At least something is being done with regard to the display.

One thing I do know, though, is that plastic scratches easily. :3

I find it interesting that of all the devices I currently use, I can sort it out like this, with regard to the screen cover:

Plastic for my laptop, feature phone, and the 3DS XL's bottom screen.

Glass for my tablet, smartphone, and, apparently, the 3DS XL's top screen. (I think it's just reinforced with glass fibres...)

Guess which displays get a lot of scratches
Old January 8th, 2014, 12:17 PM
countryemo
The Day I've been running from
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to countryemo
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC View Post
Yeah those are cheaper screens than you see in most phones. Mine is a $700 phone with corning gorilla glass 3 so I'm not too worried.
Just remember, anything like sand, it'll mess up your screen like nobody's business. Even with GG3. My Moto X got a little scratch from it just being on my matress.

I hate screen protectors and cases. Like said cases usually mess with the proper operation somehow, and cases ruin the usuability of the screen. Protection or a phone that works. Its 2014 its time to change.

Old January 8th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Endless
& heading that way

Nature: Careful
Send a message via AIM to Endless
I have protectors on all my devices right now… well, maybe except my 3DS. xD Protectors do reduce your screen's sensitivity and brightness, but that doesn't bother me—I still use them.
Old January 8th, 2014, 05:13 PM
Zach
Sniiiii~

My DSi XL also has screen protectors on it, but even those got scratched a little haha

Still no phone case yet, but I did get a car charger for my phone.
Fairy
Old January 8th, 2014, 11:38 PM
Morkula
Play the Game

I honestly can't stand screen protectors. I've never been able to apply them without getting dust under them, which drives me up the wall. And they collect grime and dirt and wind up getting disgusting eventually, and they mess up the sensitivity of your touchscreens as well sometimes.

My phone has Gorilla Glass anyway, and I've had it nearly a year and the screen doesn't even have a hairline scratch. So there's really no need for a protector.

paired with cherrim ~ big brother of arago
4p games ~ 4p forums ~ backloggery ~ twitter
Old January 9th, 2014, 03:41 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

One thing I do know, though: it doesn't matter how good the display glass is if it involves direct contact with concrete, as I found out the hard way.
Old January 9th, 2014, 04:14 AM
Zach
Sniiiii~

Even if it's a hard surface the screen could break. Just be glad though that when phone screens do crack, the crack doesn't also mess up the LCD display in any way either :P
Fairy
Old January 9th, 2014, 04:18 AM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

The problem seems to lie with the fact that cracked glass isn't safe to be touched. :3
Old January 9th, 2014, 04:27 AM
Zach
Sniiiii~

Yeah that is true haha

The other week though while in Walmart, my mother dropped her phone with the screen side down on the ground. She has a small cover around it (not one of those huge Otterbox covers), and it didn't break at all. So I guess even the simplest phone cases can work to prevent damage.
Fairy
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links