• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Any demand for Gen 4-style Pokémon sprites for Gen 5+ Pokémon?

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
First I would like to say while this essentially a question, it leads into a topic of discussion bigger than itself

The initial question I have is whether or not people are interested in a resource where the backsprites in essentials are not disgusting - Currently I'm working on fixing this problem with the use of a Rom Hacking resource. The resource is by Chaos Rush, who started his project for the exact reason I want to make this resource, terrible sprites.
- Check him out, he's a fantastic spriter, and has a cool game project as well
[resource] [game]

Back on track, with Gen 5 came the new age of Pokemon battle, seeing a full body sprite instead of the zoomed in back of the Pokémon - and while this is all well and good, I prefer the old school style. The question is does anyone else feel the way I do? would anyone else want to see this project and have the use of a nice clean looking backsprite, and not a horrible pixel mess?

Don't know what I'm talking about? Think I'm just picky? Here's an example of what I mean:
Essentials -Vs.- Mine

Furthermore, I'm making the front sprites a Uniform 80x80 (160x160 double sized) as they are in essentials, because 192x192 bothers me more than you might think...

Tl;Dr - would anyone besides me benefit from a resource of good looking backsprites, and 160x160 front sprites for Gen 5 Pokémon?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Given that the battle system in Essentials is frozen in one perspective, in which only the "head and shoulders" of the back sprites are/should be visible (and which appear twice as large as the front sprite of the same Pokémon), it makes sense to use sprites which suit this perspective.

Gen 4-style sprites (i.e. 80x80 size, "head and shoulders" back sprites) seem to be about the only kind of sprites that people aren't interested in making. Chaos Rush's project is close, but goes for 64x64 sprites (Gen 3-size). The next step after that, according to most people, are full-body sprites from Gen 5, which means pixellated back sprites (not to mention dull poses). Gen 4-style sprites, which is what Essentials likes to use, are ignored and that's a shame.

Obviously a project like this would only be required for Gen 5+ Pokémon. I'm always in favour of more available resources.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Given that the battle system in Essentials is frozen in one perspective, in which only the "head and shoulders" of the back sprites are/should be visible (and which appear twice as large as the front sprite of the same Pokémon), it makes sense to use sprites which suit this perspective.

Gen 4-style sprites (i.e. 80x80 size, "head and shoulders" back sprites) seem to be about the only kind of sprites that people aren't interested in making. Chaos Rush's project is close, but goes for 64x64 sprites (Gen 3-size). The next step after that, according to most people, are full-body sprites from Gen 5, which means pixellated back sprites (not to mention dull poses). Gen 4-style sprites, which is what Essentials likes to use, are ignored and that's a shame.

Obviously a project like this would only be required for Gen 5+ Pokémon. I'm always in favour of more available resources.

I think I wasn't clear actually haha, but the purpose of this project is to revamp Chaos Rush's project to DS format instead of GBA format - otherwise you could just use his
The zororark and venipede backs are improved versions of his, while the swoobat is one of my own, and it simply gives the perspective of how they look compared to WHat exists in essentials right now
- It's good to know at least it will be of use, most people either jump ship to full body or resize the full bodies and leave it at that...I didn't know if enough people really cared for the old school style hahaha

Last edited:

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Gen 5 pokémon backsprites in Gen 4 or even Gen 3 standard will be very better than actual zoomed backsprites (that I made almost 3 years ago) for a pack or even the default Essentials.

However, I have little interest in frontsprites.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Well personally, I prefer being able to see the Pokémon from behind than just a stupid smudge, like Swoobats fine example that you gave... If I could sprite as well as you, I'd help you with this project... however, all my sprites at the moment are all 128x128 I believe, so replacing random sprites for example wouldn't benefit me in the slightest.

But I do agree, some of the sprites are awful, I prefer a fuller body look than the silly shoulder-head look anyway.

I think completing this, would be beneficial to essentials in the sense that even though it's at Gen3-4 standards so far, would bring it closer to the new age...

On a side note, I think if there is going to be another update, I'm not sure if Maruno has said he's continuing or not, the last I heard he was taking a break and helping someone with their game, which was a while back lol, buuuut, Graphics and moves/abilities need focusing on... So yeah, on topic, Graphics are worth the revamp, definitely.

I could've used you to join my team on my game lol

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 4, 2023
I am really interested in 160x160 backsprites.

Actually, I am currently working on creating them. I already have a handful of them complete. I should post them in my deviantART later today.

Are you still working on this project? Would you or anyone be interested in collaborating with me to create all the backsprites?

As soon as I post them tonight I'll add the link here.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
I am really interested in 160x160 backsprites.

Actually, I am currently working on creating them. I already have a handful of them complete. I should post them in my deviantART later today.

Are you still working on this project? Would you or anyone be interested in collaborating with me to create all the backsprites?

As soon as I post them tonight I'll add the link here.

I'm still working on them slowly and have a handful done, i just have some other priorities, about 39 total unova pokemon done, and 1 kalos pokemon

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 4, 2023
I'm still working on them slowly and have a handful done, i just have some other priorities, about 39 total unova pokemon done, and 1 kalos pokemon

Mind telling which one's you've completed so far?

I've got Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott, Patrat, Lillipup, Purrloin, Pansage, Simisage, Pansear, Panpour, Munna and Boldore backsprites done.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
victini, snivy, surperior, tepig, emboar, oshawott, samuratt, lillipup, herdier, soutland, musharna, woobat, swoobat, drillbur, excadrill, conkledurr, venipede, whirlipede, scolipede, whimsicott, lilligant, maractus, crustle, sigilyph, tirtouga, carracosta, archen, archeops, zorua, zoroark, amoongus, jelliscent (male+female), alomomola, joltik, galvantula, klinkklang, cryogonal, braviary
all frontsprites are finished except for the legendaries

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 4, 2023
Nice! Thank you. I'll focus on the ones you've not done it.

By the way, do you plan on doing them all anyways, or would you be willing to share your work on open project, like the "all animations project" in which everyone can contribute?

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
if people wanna help then sure, I was going to upload them in the same way Maruno uploaded the pokemon pack, but have it be for the Unova completed pokemon when it was finished by myself, and then again when I got around to the Kalos ones
anyone can contribute as long as they're good enough, it defeats the purpose if they don't look good

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
so that people don't just make all the same sprites, maybe you should start a gdoc to keep track of the project's progress? so people can easily see what has/hasn't been done

Back