The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Old January 11th, 2014, 07:49 PM
Puddle
Mission Complete✔

Nature: Lax
Alright, I'm an 18 year old guy that took his girlfriend to see Frozen. I went in expecting it to be some girly, predictable princess movie. But, it actually had a lot of comedy, and was a lot more unpredictable than I thought. There was a lot of funny characters that really made this enjoyable for all ages.

Thoughts on the movie?

I recommend seeing it.

PS. MAKE SURE YOU ADD A SPOILER IF YOU ARE GOING TO TALK ABOUT THE MOVIE ITSELF.
Old January 11th, 2014, 08:35 PM
Kouzan
When did the sky turn black?

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Kouzan
I haven't seen it, but I kind of made assumption too at first until I heard so many guy friends of mine and guys online say they loved the movie. I hear it's got lots of singing though, wish may not be for everyone. I'm kind of wanting to watch it after so many positive reviews.

Oh oh these are beautiful times.
Clubs: Dark Type Club | Adventure Time Club
EGC | BMGf | DeviantArt | Tumblr | Art Gallery | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old January 11th, 2014, 09:07 PM
Puddle
Mission Complete✔

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWsquared View Post
I haven't seen it, but I kind of made assumption too at first until I heard so many guy friends of mine and guys online say they loved the movie. I hear it's got lots of singing though, wish may not be for everyone. I'm kind of wanting to watch it after so many positive reviews.
It's not like a musical. It starts out with a lot of singing and towards the end it does again. However, around the middle, the singing isn't as frequent and you only get it here and there.

Regardless, that's what Disney movies do.
Old January 11th, 2014, 10:36 PM
LilJz
Legendary lovers♥

Nature: Quiet
Actually it is a musical animation
It's even labeled as one x)

I actually really enjoyed the movie A LOT. I went to see it last month with my girlfriend and we both really loved it. This is coming from a 20 year old guy, btw. It's actually my favorite animated movie of 2013. It's really good

They have a good number of musicals throughout the movie, but hey it's a musical and it comes from Disney. Disney have a reputation of adding musicals in their movies

Little easter egg: You can see Rapunzel in one of the scenes, it's a you blink you miss moment. So stay focused and see if you can spot her :3
Old January 11th, 2014, 11:53 PM
Kouzan
When did the sky turn black?

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Kouzan
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Ramirez View Post
It's not like a musical. It starts out with a lot of singing and towards the end it does again. However, around the middle, the singing isn't as frequent and you only get it here and there.

Regardless, that's what Disney movies do.
From wikipedia

Quote:
Frozen is a 2013 American computer-animated musical fantasy film produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures.[4] It is the 53rd animated feature in the Walt Disney Animated Classics series
A musical tells the story in songs and dancing so yeah it's a musical. Almost any Disney movie with lots of singing is a musical. :P

Oh oh these are beautiful times.
Clubs: Dark Type Club | Adventure Time Club
EGC | BMGf | DeviantArt | Tumblr | Art Gallery | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old January 19th, 2014, 08:48 PM
Dakota
she's singing to me

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakota
Without a doubt, one of the best Disney movies in recent history. The plot was unpredictable, and not cliché, which was one of two things I thought made the movie perfect. The other would be "Let It Go". Holy crap, never have I been so taken with a song. Honestly, I love Disney songs in general (A Whole New World from Aladdin had always been my favorite), but this one by far dominates them all. Spectacular. I went to see it with a bunch of guy friends, we all enjoyed it.

Also, Olaf. <3
Old January 19th, 2014, 09:53 PM
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Altairis Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
Spoiler:

The movie ended up being different from my expectations, haha. When I heard about the princess making winter happen everywhere I was expecting some Narnia or Game of Thrones-type winter where it lasted for YEARS on end. Not less than 24 hours haha.

Idk, I just didn't really like the movie that much. It's almost as if Disney made the movie to be like "Look! It's not all about boy+girl love!" Like, the characters and their actions didn't really seem to have any other purpose other than to set up for the final scene, where it turns out that the "true love" isn't boy+girl but sisterly. I don't think I can articulate it correctly, but it all seemed very rushed until the ending, which seemed to me like it was just Disney being like "Wow! Look at us! We made something 'different'!"
Old January 20th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Nauje
feel good hit of the summer?

Nature: Relaxed
I was surprised to hear so many good reviews for it after watching the trailer, which I didn't like very much (seemed too cheesy and predictable to me). I might give it a watch sometime soon.
Old January 20th, 2014, 09:59 AM
The 11th Celebi

I LOVED it. It was one of the most "mature" Disney films (cause they cant do a mature film -.-). I mean, how the girl is treated as a weirdo... I connected with that character, if you understand me. Also, how the true love isnt what we think it is....
Made me cry :,)
Also, Let It go..... Bee U Tea Full....
"NOW CALM DOWN! Everything is going to be fine, you're not going to tear any holes in any fabric of space or time. Actually, it's more like a rug really, but oh Nevermind. Let's just say I got a infinite number of me kicking your ass with Rhyme"- The Doctor, ERB of history season 2 (Doctor who vs. Doc Brown)
Old January 20th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Flushed
down the drain.

Nature: Careful
This movie and Tangled, not sure why but I kind of want to see them. Not usually a fan of animated Disney films, but people have been raving about them, well idk about Tangled, but Frozen definitely. Since I don't forsee going to see it by myself, I'll probably catch it on DVD or the internet or something.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 10:25 AM
Beloved
Fictionally Destructive

It tends to follow the classic Disney flow, however they try to make the real antagonist a mystery until the end of the film. While it surprised a lot of people, I had a basic understanding and overall idea of who was the real antagonist, what their goal was, and how the movie was end after the gates open and you meet one of the other main characters in the movie. It kind of ruined it that I had guessed right in the end, but that is more of my own problem than anything, since I tend to get the plot line faster than the writers and directors hope.

However, I will say that I did enjoy the way the animation flowed nearly flawlessly. I haven't seen a fully animated movie that was so smoothly done in a long time, so it was a joy to watch. Add in the flow of the music and the feel of the atmosphere, and I was able to overlook the rather straightforward nature of the plot.

All in all, I enjoyed the movie, and was happy that my boyfriend and I hadn't been able to make the showing for A Madea Christmas, and went with Frozen instead.

Zachriel
FC: 4098-3599-5083
Friend Safari Type: Psychic
Pokemon: Abra, Wobbuffet, Duosion
PM if you add me so I can add you. Always looking for friends.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 11:01 AM
Sheep

Nature: Timid
I loved it, mostly for the characters, music, and visuals more so than the story. It was just extremely gorgeous to look at; that Anna and Elsa had an adorable relationship and I loved how their personalities fit together so well despite being as different as they were.

And again, good gosh the music. Let It Go gives me chills!

pair | family | irl pair | lovelies
club 1 club 2 club 3 club 4
Old January 22nd, 2014, 11:54 AM
Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to Cat
I've yet to see this one, but it's on my list for this year though for sure! I've heard and read many good reviews about this movie.

Old January 22nd, 2014, 05:08 PM
Aerial Ace

I haven't seen it, but I'm so tired of hearing everyone talk about it. Its getting to the point where all interest I had in seeing it (and I did have some interest) is completely gone.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 07:40 PM
ZangFloyd
im finally 1 years old

I thought it was alright. The characters were kinda lame (save for Olaf, who is cute in some weird sort of way). And the music is really lame (but I'm apparently in the minority for this). I did chuckle every once in a while. It's not something that will make you gasp for air though. Overall, I recommend at least checking it out especially if you have kids.

I've Got a Very Irregular Head
Old January 26th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Ravio
And I am one of a kind.

Nature: Adamant
I really liked it! I like all disney movies, so one with Idina Menzel and Kristen Bell was especially awesome! I really liked Anna as a character, as she was definitely marching to the beat of her own drum. And Elsa was great too as she came into her own. The animation was really well done, and all the different ice effects were cool. And of course the songs! They're actually some of my favorites, particularly the reprise of For the First Time in Forever.

Spoiler:
But my favorite part of the movie is how even though Anna falls into the trap of a lot of Disney princesses and instantly falls in love with a guy, and is told she needs "true love's kiss" to save her, she puts aside herself to save her sister. And then it's that that saves her. Great ending!

My life is someone else's experiment.
Old January 26th, 2014, 07:23 PM
ZangFloyd
im finally 1 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravio View Post
The animation was really well done, and all the different ice effects were cool.

I've Got a Very Irregular Head
Old February 11th, 2014, 08:09 AM
Kitty17794
disney devoted. disney owned.

Nature: Docile
Send a message via AIM to Kitty17794
Frozen is an AMAZING film, which I think has brought back the Disney magic for so many people. Its kind of like when we were all growing up on movies like Lion King, Aladdin, and Beauty and the Beast. Kids LOVE it. Parents love it. It's a phenomenon. And it's already heading for broadway, ice shows, the Disney parks... its big. And I love it. <3

Unfortunately, Pokemon: DisneyDreams has died. But Disney discussion lives on at Mouse Ears!!!
Old February 11th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Vanille Sky

Nature: Gentle
Haven't seen it D: I really want to because I've heard lots of good things about it and I personally love Disney animated movies! The only thing that's keeping me from jumping on board the Frozen fandom is that it's a musical \: But it's definitely on my to-watch list.

— レイン · wonderland · love · appreciation
Old February 11th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Fire Heart
Reject Revolving Door

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Without a doubt, one of the best Disney movies in recent history. The plot was unpredictable, and not cliché, which was one of two things I thought made the movie perfect. The other would be "Let It Go". Holy crap, never have I been so taken with a song. Honestly, I love Disney songs in general (A Whole New World from Aladdin had always been my favorite), but this one by far dominates them all. Spectacular. I went to see it with a bunch of guy friends, we all enjoyed it.

Also, Olaf. <3
This pretty much sums up my opinion of Frozen. I fell in love with the movie instantly. I love how they were able to completely change the overview of the 'Snow Queen.'
Old February 11th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Yuri Lowell
one more time.

Nature: Brave
Oh gosh, I've seen this movie three times. Going it see it again with some friends next week, because we all wanna go see the 3D version. XD;

I usually don't flip out over Disney movies anymore, but this one I liked a lot. I thought it had some good messages, and it's pretty different from the usual Disney love stories. Was a good change of pace, and I'm hooked on a couple of the songs. lol
boy, you should know what you're fallin' for.
Old February 11th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Nature: Adamant
Spoiler:
I love how the movie sets up these cliche Disney tropes and leads you to believe they're going to happen even right up to the moment, but then breaks them and does a plot twist right when you thought the cliche-Disney thing was going to happen instead. Particularly the "true-love's-kiss", a common plot device in Disney films, did not actually happen for the climax even though the plot leads you to believe it does, and it fools you twice. During the first plot twist, I assumed that Anna and Hans would kiss but it wouldn't work and THEN Anna would realize her TRUE true love, but nope! Instead, Disney did a 180 and pulled a plot twist out of nowhere. I was not expecting that at all. I didn't expect Hans to actually be the antagonist, I just assumed that Hans and Anna would kiss but the curse wouldn't be removed because the movie already hinted that Kristoff is Anna's true love. But nope! Hans doesn't even kiss Anna at all and basically says "surprise I'm the antagonist lolz". And then later I seriously thought that it would be Kristoff's kiss that would save Anna while they were out in the blizzard, but then ANOTHER PLOT TWIST! Lol, good job Disney. Please do more unpredictable things like that.

Last edited by Chaos Rush; February 11th, 2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 08:31 PM
zakisrage
In the trunk on Highway 10

Nature: Impish
My friends Tom, Ashley, Gabby, and I saw it right before Christmas. We all really liked it. My favourite character was Elsa. Gabby really liked Anna. Tom and Ashley both liked Kristoff.

Does anyone have Frozen merchandise? I have a poster and a mug with Olaf the snowman on it. Ashley got a plush doll of Kristoff for Christmas - his niece got plush dolls of Anna and Elsa. (They play together a lot. Ashley is only eight years older than his niece.) Recently, I managed to find another Kristoff plush at a toy store. I gave it to Tom.
Helga: Look Phoebe, you gotta snap out of this. I mean, criminy, it's not like it's the first time you ever farted. Heck, when you sleep over you do it all the time. You rip 'em all night long, they stink to high heaven. It's all I can do to keep from passing out.
Phoebe: Just get out.
- Hey Arnold
Old March 3rd, 2014, 10:48 PM
Nolafus
Aspiring Writer, or something

Nature: Calm
I normally don't find enjoyment in Disney films anymore, as they're too predictable for my taste, but like everyone has been saying, Frozen broke the mold.

Maybe the reason I liked it so much is that the characters are so relatable. Normally, there's this princess that falls in love, and the characters don't have much depth because both sides all of a sudden need love above all else. Past characters were hard to relate to, but I found that Elsa was easily relatable.

The songs really sealed the deal. They were all pretty good, but Let it Go is my favorite one. I'm actually quite obsessed with it right now and I'm currently listening to a version done by The Piano Guys. It's two instruments, a piano and a cello, and it's beautiful.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 11:13 PM
Yuri Lowell
one more time.

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakisrage View Post
Does anyone have Frozen merchandise?
I haven't seen any merchandise around. Maybe on websites, but I haven't ordered any.

I did buy a few of the songs off of iTunes, though, and my phone's ringtone is Let It Go.
boy, you should know what you're fallin' for.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links