The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 2nd, 2014 (01:46 PM).
daigonite
Don't be afraid of the dark
Community Supporter

Oh, and we all know I'm not blind but it's very relevant to my life, the stereotypes about the blind are actually very damaging. So much misinformation and people actually buy that **** like its real.
Old January 2nd, 2014 (01:59 PM).
Sydian
revolution

Nature: Timid
- People assume that those with autism are stupid, and that's most certainly not the case. I will ring your neck if you say anything of the sort.
- Assuming all feminists hate men. You are talking to the wrong feminists if you think we hate men.
- Assuming all gay men or women have to adhere to being feminine or masculine, respectively.
- Assuming gay men and women that actually do fit their stereotype want to be the opposite sex or have a sex change.

Play the game to change the game
Old January 2nd, 2014 (02:12 PM). Edited January 2nd, 2014 by Limerent.
Limerent
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudSilence View Post
omg yes

I hate how the word "privilege" is being thrown around so much nowadays. You're discriminating by assuming I must only be able to think a certain way due to factors outside of my control.
You're correct going off of what I said but really I know this 1 black guy and he's pretty cool so... I don't assume anything upon our first encounter, i'll treat you with respect and as a person at face value, regardless of ethnicity. It's only when I get this whole counter-racist against white people do I begin to get annoyed. Yes I might be discriminating slightly by thinking certain groups might think this way based purely on skin colour but it won't affect my behaviour towards an individual until he actually PROVES he is like that. If that makes sense, maybe it doesn't.

LoudSilence, I am privileged as hell. My lifestyle right now consists of sitting on my ass playing video games, browsing forums and sleeping. I get fed well by my mum. I have no work and few responsibilities. I was born into a middle class family in one of the safest and most well off countries in the world, even America doesn't have it this good. Yes, this "privilege" exists due to the not unreasonable work my parents are required to do and it won't last forever but right now i'm a spoilt brat, make no mistake. This is privilege even by first world standards, not to the point where I live in a mansion splashing millions of dollars but that's a bit of an excess for my definition. Plus we are all privileged compared to poor people in developing and 3rd world countries.

@Shining Raichu: Stupid religious people, but I have never, ever been told anything remotely like that as i'm a left handed writer. Your society must have a lot more ridiculously misinformed and fanatic religious people spouting their mouths off about us lefties It's just plain idiocy really, but if anyone tells me i'm devils spawn they can expect a good ol left handed slap in the face!

Yes in that last paragraph i'm inferring I believe negative American stereotypes to be true but I think any rational, well educated and hard working American has his voice drowned out by the very vocal and very ignorant percentage of the population that may or may not be disproportionately large due to misguided religion, poor education and an innate sense of overbearing pride stemming from the U.S's previously dominating position in the world. All I can say without wrongly classifying the sensible Americans on this forum is that you guys have a few tourists being ignorant overseas and the dumb things said by morons get a lot more coverage than they should so it seems like that is what your society is made up of, or at least idolizes And don't get me started on the political system or your unhealthy fixation with guns or a 250 year old scrap of paper, eugh.

(All that writing to explain my dislike of a country which could simply be put down to 'I hate America hurdurr fat people')
Old January 2nd, 2014 (06:26 PM). Edited January 2nd, 2014 by zakisrage.
zakisrage
In the trunk on Highway 10

Nature: Impish
I hate the stereotype that Italian/Spanish/Greek/Lebanese/other Mediterranean guys are all dark, handsome lovers. My two closest guy friends are Italian and they're both pale and awkward around girls. I don't think Mediterranean ancestry or being dark and handsome automatically improves your ability to charm women. I'm awkward around girls too.

Naturally, I hate a lot of Lebanese stereotypes - in Australia, Lebanese are stereotyped a lot (especially Muslim Lebanese). Not all Lebanese Australians are trashy lowlives or criminals. Plenty of us dress normally and look normal and love the country we live in. Our men don't all have shaved heads or mullets - my hair's long with bangs on my forehead, and it curls at the ends (it kind of looks more skater/surfer than anything - and none of my male relatives have mullets). We aren't all ghetto, either - I don't like hip hop or rap, and neither do most people in Lebanon. Our women aren't oppressed - my mum works outside the home, and my dad doesn't boss her around and would NEVER even think of beating her. While some misogynistic attitudes do persist, it's nowhere near as bad as it was years ago. And our women don't cover their faces - most of my female relatives don't even wear headscarves. Plenty of us have naturally blond, red, or light brown hair - I have light brown hair. Some of us also have very light skin. Some people think I'm Greek or Eastern European - it gets annoying. Even the ones who recognise that I'm Lebanese have a hard time believing that I'm Muslim. (You might not be familiar with these stereotypes. I've collected them from both people on the Internet and people I knew personally.) I admit, I am embarrassed by the criminals in our community. They are the ones responsible for much of the racism against our community. The Sydney gang rapists made our men look like animals. The anti-film protests made us look like a bunch of dangerous fanatics. What they did is just as bad as what racists do to us.

(And a lot of people forget that Australia has other ethnic groups besides British, Irish, and Aborigines. Then again, I'm probably the only non-Anglo-Celtic Australian on this site.)

I hate the stereotype that all Australians are blond, blue-eyed, and insanely attractive. I have plenty of friends of various hair colours, skin colours, and levels of attractiveness. Australian celebrities like Keith Urban, Cody Simpson, and Dannii Minogue are a poor representation of Australians as a whole.

I'm also bothered by the stereotype that Americans are ignorant and don't know about any countries besides their own. My experiences on here have proved that stereotype to be false. Same with the stereotype that all non-Americans hate America - that's not true either.
Helga: Look Phoebe, you gotta snap out of this. I mean, criminy, it's not like it's the first time you ever farted. Heck, when you sleep over you do it all the time. You rip 'em all night long, they stink to high heaven. It's all I can do to keep from passing out.
Phoebe: Just get out.
- Hey Arnold
Old January 6th, 2014 (07:27 AM).
LoudSilence
more like uncommon sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by O07_eleven View Post
LoudSilence, I am privileged as hell. My lifestyle right now consists of sitting on my ass playing video games, browsing forums and sleeping. I get fed well by my mum. I have no work and few responsibilities. I was born into a middle class family in one of the safest and most well off countries in the world, even America doesn't have it this good. Yes, this "privilege" exists due to the not unreasonable work my parents are required to do and it won't last forever but right now i'm a spoilt brat, make no mistake. This is privilege even by first world standards, not to the point where I live in a mansion splashing millions of dollars but that's a bit of an excess for my definition. Plus we are all privileged compared to poor people in developing and 3rd world countries.
No contest, I just meant that this shouldn't have a bearing on whether or not people accept our opinions or considering our viewpoints skewed. Take a person for his/her own individual merits, don't make assumptions about how they think because you believe their "privilege" blinds them from certain truths. That's what I was getting at.
Old January 6th, 2014 (08:03 AM).
Ozymandias
we're just two lost souls
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Ozymandias
Quote:
Originally Posted by 루기아 View Post
I don't know where the "Asians can't drive" stereotype comes from.
Lol that comes from me and my family XD

Ummm... asian stereotypes don't bother me much. My friends like to make jokes but, then I'll just make a joke back... but there arent really any white stereotypes other than them being kinda stuck up and racist. And those are true for a lot of whites here XD

Anyways I agree with Ace's statement that many stereotypes have some sort of truth in them
Old January 11th, 2014 (11:41 PM). Edited January 11th, 2014 by Demon Wolf.
Demon Wolf
American Wolf

Nature: Naughty
The French calls American s ignorant slobs n stupid those words r what they can say n also if you r autistic u r dumb then I guess Albert Einstein is dumb n not talkative I'm talk it I've but have no flow or stay on topic stereotypes r just to piss evrone off or to make sure certain races get exchanged so dumb

FRIEND CODE: 5257-9448-0518

WELCOME TO THE LONELY ISLAND POPULATION:1
Old January 12th, 2014 (12:14 AM).
Khilia
Kawaii in the streets, senpai in the sheets
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
I find it awful that, apparently, so many people, especially the ones who live in economically not-so-doing-well European countries, think we all are totally rich and don't care about all our neighbor countries and such

In fact, the only rich people in this country are possibly only government people, we average peasants earn comparable less to other European nations, and if you'd visit the Eastern part of Germany (the one that used to be GDR, thus was a communist dictatorship and blah) you'd see that we have to live in almost poor conditions :c
Old January 12th, 2014 (03:28 AM).
Golden Warrior
Pokemon Professor

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Golden Warrior
The stereotype I hate most is that people seem to think that Christians absolutely HATE AND DESPISE homosexuals. Let me quickly say, people who say that are just flat out wrong. Sure there are certain Christians who do, but they're honestly just being... wrong. *sigh* It's a bit of a touchy topic for me since I seem to get it a lot, seriously, what is the matter with some people, I HATE NO ONE DANGIT.

Also, I'm not a woman or blonde, but where did the idea come from that all blonde women are idiots? Honestly, what is the deal here? Thinking anyone is dumb because of skin color, hair, or race is idiotic in itself...

Perhaps I should not post here. I feel very out of place. XD

3DS/Pokemon Y FC: 5300 - 9087 - 1138
I'll be up to battle or trade, I'll also always be up to multibattle. PM me if you add me here, give me a reason that you're adding me, and I'll be sure to add you back!

Friend Safari: Bug Type
Pokemon: Paras, Beautifly, and Pinsir.
Old January 12th, 2014 (09:51 AM).
Sopheria
Potion Festival Queen
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Warrior View Post
The stereotype I hate most is that people seem to think that Christians absolutely HATE AND DESPISE homosexuals. Let me quickly say, people who say that are just flat out wrong. Sure there are certain Christians who do, but they're honestly just being... wrong. *sigh* It's a bit of a touchy topic for me since I seem to get it a lot, seriously, what is the matter with some people, I HATE NO ONE DANGIT.
Yea, I know plenty of wonderful Christians who have no problem with gays. I think the people who make that stereotype are just thinking from their own experience. Christianity is a very heterogeneous religion, so people's experience with it varies. For some people, their only experience with the Christian religion has only consisted of bigotry and hate, while for a lot of other people, their only experience with it has been love and kindness. That's the problem with generalizing based on your own experience--our experience is really limited.
Old January 12th, 2014 (11:16 AM).
DowntownDumpling

Literally every time it comes up that I'm a vegetarian, everyone gets defensive and insinuates (or mentions outright) that I must be physically weak, malnourished, out to convert everyone, immature, overly sentimental, obnoxious, and unwilling ever to listen to reason. The worst one is that I must automatically be prejudiced against them. ...What?!
Old January 12th, 2014 (11:59 AM).
Warrior Rapter
Dinosaur Pokemon Trainer

Nature: Modest
Let's see... one's that apply to me are "Diabetics can't have sugar" or "Insulin cures diabetes". The keyword on anything with sugar is moderation. We can eat what we want, we just have to moderate it and make sure we take enough medicine for it. Insulin is part of the moderation process, not the cure. If it cured us, why do we have to keep taking it?

As far as religion goes, I fit more under Agnostic than any other. I believe what can be proven or has already been proved. The fact that some people feel that if you don't believe what they believe, that you are automatically against them is total bogus. I was born into a methodist christian family, so some of those ideals are in me, yes, but I chose to believe what I do because, to me, the stories of religions come from a time when people used stories to explain what they couldn't otherwise, and that's what I feel they are today because there hasn't been any proof of a divine influence (my apologies to anyone who is extremely religious). Do I out right hate anyone who believes it? No. Do I try to force people to believe what I do? No. In fact, usually the only time I even talk about it is if someone else brings it up. Otherwise, I think most people probably wouldn't even know.
Old January 12th, 2014 (03:46 PM).
Southueki
Writer

The stereotype that everyone who goes to the gym and tries to achieve a muscular body is usually dumb.

Like if muscles aren't compatible with brains.

Also, the one where people assume that quiet people are all good. Sure, some are, but some are devilish.

This one has been mentioned but gay DOES not mean being a "femalish" man, or a drama queen. My uncle is gay and you bet your ass he had all the girls chase him. The man is freakin cool and has so much charm.

Another stereotype is that all black people are "trouble". When most people see black guys together they assume they're up to no good, and also the fact that when something does happen, no one stands up to them.

Seriously, they can be cowards too, once one tried to rob me and ran like a girl when I stood up to him. Most people just assume they are bad and will kill you or something. Ridiculous
Old January 12th, 2014 (04:16 PM).
Aques Keus
Swaggins
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by zomgitscathy View Post
There's sooooo many about black people. Where do I even start?

"Black people love fried chicken":
It's okay, but it's hardly my favorite food. I tend not to like anything fried. Actually...now that I think about it, there's some truth to this stereotype. I'm just an exception

"Black people love watermelon":
I hate watermelon. It tastes like edible water. Watermelon flavored things are delicious, but watermelon itself? Blegh.
The fried chicken thing is pretty cheap. Every American I've met likes fried chicken. It's like saying black people like hamburgers.

Frio & Elise || Jayce & Jayce 2
Old January 12th, 2014 (04:25 PM).
Awkward.
#britanna

Nature: Sassy
I hate every stereotype. All of them. Every single one is ridiculous and untrue in nearly every situation. I don't even know why they're a thing.

Old January 12th, 2014 (04:41 PM).
Puddle
Mission Complete✔

Nature: Lax
There's a few.

-All Americans are fat and rude. I'm a very polite person and I'm like 5'10, 140 pounds so screw that stereo type. We just have the most fast food and stuff, so obviously there will be more over weight people.

-All men are equal/stupid. I've always treated women with respect and have never felt like I've done wrong to really anyone. Also, I make wise decisions and don't cheat and lie all the time. I just generally hate when girls stereo type ALL MEN after 1 bad relationship.

I can go on and on about all of them, but not a lot of them actually effect me.

Old January 12th, 2014 (05:06 PM).
Rengar
The Pridestalker

Nature: Rash
I hate all the scene stereotypes. Just because I'm scene doesn't mean that I hate everything. That's goth, and not even goth people hate everything. Everyone seems to think that because I have long hair, am agnostic, and have a high pitched voice that I'm the work of the devil. Scene people should be shown more respect. Not all of us are devil worshipers, actually, very few of us are. Most scene kids are actually christian.

American stereotypes annoy me. I'm not fat, I'm skinny as hell. I'm not dumb, I'm actually very smart. I don't sit on a couch all day eating cheetos, I go out and run sometimes. I hate cheetos anyways.

Tennessean stereotypes are horrible. If you cam down here, you'd see that we aren't just a big bunch of drunkards and drug addicts. I live in a place where not a lot of people drink, and even fewer do drugs.

"Prey on the weak and you will survive, prey on the strong and you will live."
Old January 12th, 2014 (05:54 PM).
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O07_eleven View Post
@Shining Raichu: Stupid religious people, but I have never, ever been told anything remotely like that as i'm a left handed writer. Your society must have a lot more ridiculously misinformed and fanatic religious people spouting their mouths off about us lefties It's just plain idiocy really, but if anyone tells me i'm devils spawn they can expect a good ol left handed slap in the face!

Yes in that last paragraph i'm inferring I believe negative American stereotypes to be true but I think any rational, well educated and hard working American has his voice drowned out by the very vocal and very ignorant percentage of the population that may or may not be disproportionately large due to misguided religion, poor education and an innate sense of overbearing pride stemming from the U.S's previously dominating position in the world. All I can say without wrongly classifying the sensible Americans on this forum is that you guys have a few tourists being ignorant overseas and the dumb things said by morons get a lot more coverage than they should so it seems like that is what your society is made up of, or at least idolizes And don't get me started on the political system or your unhealthy fixation with guns or a 250 year old scrap of paper, eugh.

(All that writing to explain my dislike of a country which could simply be put down to 'I hate America hurdurr fat people')
OK firstly my post about left-handers was a joke and I'm kind of shocked that not one but two people actually took it seriously haha.

Secondly there is a lot of anti-American hate here in Australia which all comes down to the fear that Australia is becoming more Americanised. I for one welcome our new donut-eating overlords. At least then we'll have some decent television.

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old January 12th, 2014 (06:03 PM).
Sopheria
Potion Festival Queen
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known As Shining Raichu View Post
Secondly there is a lot of anti-American hate here in Australia which all comes down to the fear that Australia is becoming more Americanised. I for one welcome our new donut-eating overlords. At least then we'll have some decent television.
What does more Americanized mean? I have a friend who studied abroad in Australia, and from what he said it was very similar to the states.
Old January 12th, 2014 (06:54 PM).
Orpheus
[Insert pun that nobody gets]

Nature: Calm
I get really Ticked off when people talk as if everybody from Kentucky is a hillbilly. I for one am a computer programmer. I will admit though, that there are people like Ernie (aka "The Turtleman") but we are just as up-to-date as any other state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomgitscathy View Post
Yea, I know plenty of wonderful Christians who have no problem with gays. I think the people who make that stereotype are just thinking from their own experience. Christianity is a very heterogeneous religion, so people's experience with it varies. For some people, their only experience with the Christian religion has only consisted of bigotry and hate, while for a lot of other people, their only experience with it has been love and kindness. That's the problem with generalizing based on your own experience--our experience is really limited.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Warrior View Post
I'm religious And I don't hate anyone, sometimes I may hate myself but that always passes, I may not agree With them, and I sure as heck don't encourage homseuality. Saying that we hate homosexuals is like saying that people who disagree hate one another...

Another stereotype that I hate are the ones about Christians, Christians aren't stupid, gullible, ore anything else. The only difference is that me don't have the same beliefs as you and we have different morals.

Theme

CSS by Sheep

Old January 13th, 2014 (11:32 AM).
The Fangirl
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to The Fangirl
omg YES.

I hate how people think that an autistic person is one who constantly bangs their head against a wall while screaming. It drives me nuts. Most autistic people are highly intelligent, yet they are constantly misunderstood. I mean, I can walk, talk and pretty much do most 'normal' things. I do have my 'episodes' where I go into overload panic mode, but you wouldn't even know I have it unless you lived with me. :/

I know there are some severe cases, but even then not ALL of them are going to scream like banshees and bang their heads into a wall. I could go on forever about autism stereotypes, to be honest... but I don't want to turn it into a debate. ^^;
|
blog | mibba | twitter

PelleK ‏@imPelleK
Now n then when ppl call me I answer as if I'm some local business.
"-Welcome to Westfold Tropical Zoo, how can I help you? :D" "-Fu PelleK"

Old January 23rd, 2014 (08:40 AM).
zakisrage
In the trunk on Highway 10

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known As Shining Raichu View Post
I love American television and music, so I wouldn't complain.

Plenty of the Muslim stereotypes tick me off, and I keep coming into contact with people who believe them. For one thing, people think that we're a monolithic croup. There's many divisions of Islam. Even within the Muslim community I get flak from Sunnis because I'm Shia. The differences between Sunni and Shia Islam are substantial. I'm from a mixed Sunni/Shia country. I'm also not thrilled with the stereotype that we all hate America and the West. I love America and enjoy reading about it - I have a few books on American history. (Often I have to teach my parents and grandparents about it!) Also, the whole turban thing is pretty silly. No, Muslims don't run around in turbans anymore. These days, it's usually Sikhs who wear them. The religious headgear that I wear sometimes looks more like a yarmulke. Someone mistook me for Jewish when I wore it to school. (What we wear is actually called a taqiyah.) And even though I'm Arab, I get annoyed when people think that all Muslims are Arabs. That's very far from the truth. My two best Muslim friends are Turkish and Bosnian - definitely not Arab countries! I would list more stereotypes, but unfortunately I'd be here all day if I did.

However, growing up in a crappy area of Sydney put me in contact with Muslims who did fit the stereotypes.
Helga: Look Phoebe, you gotta snap out of this. I mean, criminy, it's not like it's the first time you ever farted. Heck, when you sleep over you do it all the time. You rip 'em all night long, they stink to high heaven. It's all I can do to keep from passing out.
Phoebe: Just get out.
- Hey Arnold
Old January 27th, 2014 (05:51 PM).
Bruce Banner
hi
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Bruce Banner
People in other countries seem to think Americans are lazy and are rich. For the most part, we are lazy but there are some of us who actually work our butt off. Also, a small percent of us are rich. It doesn't make me mad or anything.
Old January 27th, 2014 (06:20 PM).
Nneuroxin
Shall Mote It Be!

People saying Wiccans worship the devil, when most of us don't even believe in the devil

PokemonPlus | Pokemon World Online
Nneurotoxin x ★Symbiosis★
Old January 28th, 2014 (06:00 AM).
Roxanne
*insert fancy usertitle here*

I dislike the stereotype that anyone who loves K-Pop/J-Pop is a homosexual (I was insulted as such in the early stages of the global Korean craze).

I also dislike the stereotype that all gays are effeminate, non-athletic people. I have met sporty guys who are gay. Also, Tom Daley.

...And that Arts students will not have a job, succeed in life, etc. Like since when does being a Science student guarantee future employment anyway, especially since everyone is going into it?

Sponsored Links