Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat
Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Old January 13th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Flushed
Tomato Soup
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful

Advertise here
Hopefully this doesn't dredge up any bad feelings or memories or anything of that sort. But say you find yourself with a considerable sum of money (or you're just a charitable person regardless, whatever the situation may be). What charity(s) would you support with a donation?
Old January 13th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Nathan
prince
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Nathan
I'd rather much keep my money and offer free meals/a place to live to homeless people I encounter than donate to a charity group. At least, I'd know my money served the initial purpose of helping since sometimes, the people in the charity groups take most of the money and leave an insignificant amount for those who really need it.
Old January 13th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Limerent
I can hear you.
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Donate it all to PC for a shiny, gold HTML username and an entire building dedicated to our servers!

Most charities are scams or cost ineffective, sometimes I give $5-$10 dollars to door knockers with a worthy cause and feel good for doing it but I couldn't imagine giving all that money away. Charity would work infinitely better if everyone occasionally gave such small amounts, rather than throwing all the money at them yourself.

If I was going to use it to support the disadvantaged with a large sum I would supervise the employment of the money myself rather than give it to some multinational organisation. So much ends up in the hands of a charities employees or a corrupt governments coffers rather than reaching the intended recipients.

I'd rather support charities that operate within the U.N to help provide medical aid, education, food and housing to those in 3rd world countries, or even those in well off countries that are living below the poverty line. People who desperately need help and if charities and local governments weren't so corrupt would actually get the same chance as everyone else.

This may be controversial but I'd never give monetary donations to fund obscure causes like curing cancer, or MS, or whatever it is. Might as well put that money to good use to those that need it NOW rather than funding some uncertain research. It's cold but human beings can't live forever, if you contract cancer or some other terminal disease that's just bad luck, none of us are immortal so I'd rather help those who can be helped practically, i.e. through malaria vaccinations, building schools, supplying fresh water, stuff that ends suffering from things that are completely preventable as of now.

Somebody on this forum used to have a sig saying Meds Sans Frontiers & Doctors Without Borders were reliable charities, so if I had to go with a well established source I'd just go with that.
Hi.
Old January 13th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Puddle
Mission Complete✔

Nature: Lax
I'd probably spend it on things that I know are legit like Red Cross and the Humane Society. Sometimes the ones that you see being advertised by weird black women on the side of the street aren't necessarily 100% legit. I'd rather my money go into a large corporation then have the possibility of having some scam artist take my money.

Old January 13th, 2014, 08:30 PM
LokiofSassgard
God of Sassgard
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to LokiofSassgard
I would give the money to organizations that support autism awareness. No, not the ones that want to CURE autism, but the ones that are all about showing people that autism isn't a bad thing.

Oh, and depending on how much I was given... I'd also like to support Breast cancer. The reason is because my godmother died of this. She was like a third grandmother to me, and by the time they discovered it, it was too late. She got really sick and passed away.
LokiofSassgard
Happy Halloween

pair
|
blog | mibba | writer's blog

“NEVER STOP. NEVER STOP FIGHTING. NEVER STOP DREAMING.”

Last edited by LokiofSassgard; January 14th, 2014 at 02:48 AM.
Old January 13th, 2014, 08:44 PM
Crux
Evermore

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Crux
River, I'm unsure what your standing on Euthanasia is, but the Humane Society has had a number of issues with mass numbers of animals being put down.

As for myself, I'm rather leery of any big name charities anymore. Particularly after finding out how much money is wasted on lawsuits by Susan G. Komen yearly.

Personally, I'd use it to benefit the needy in a productive way.
Pick them up, brush them off, and teach them ways to keep standing.

{Never and Forever}

Tees | Coming Soon | Coming Soon
Old January 13th, 2014, 11:02 PM
Flushed
Tomato Soup
Community Supporter

You all bring up a good point. I didn't think of the "legitimacy" (for lack of a better word) of certain charities at this day and age. I guess inadvertently the thread title is more accurate of the question I'm trying to ask.
Old January 14th, 2014, 01:21 AM
awolfsquared
Prattoween
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
I hear St. Jude Children's Research Hospital is actually a pretty trusting and reliable charity since they actually use most of their donations to help research in diseases and to help support the hospital. So I'd mostly likely donate to them since I trust my money will be actually used for something good. I'd also probably donate to PC and bump myself up to tier 3 or 4.

Andy and April's Halloween party: "Someone will die" "...of fun!" "And of murder..."
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Art Gallery | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to

Old January 14th, 2014, 02:09 AM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything
Community Supporter

I'd donate some to PC so we could buy new servers (even though PC isn't a charity), and probably donate some money to an animal charity helping abused/injured animals as well as some to kids who've developed malicious diseases such as cancer. I wouldn't donate any to the Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne mainly because Australia donates so much money every year to the hospital. I also wouldn't mind funding certain aspects of research such as developments in medicinal science etc.
moderator | lovely pair | PC live
Old January 14th, 2014, 02:38 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I would donate to Capability Scotland which helps children and adults with special needs (severe or not both get help) with school, employment and care services although Scotland.
Old January 14th, 2014, 03:17 AM
Tsutarja
Happy Halloween!

Nature: Jolly
Of course I would help support PC in any way I could if I had a good amount of money. But I would also support my local humane society and any food banks as well.

Happy Halloween!
mod pairs family tumblr twitter pc social sites
Old January 14th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Controversial?
should probably stop now

Nature: Naughty
My family runs their own charity, so I'd put the money towards that. It's actually genuine and more reliable than those big corporate fatcats running so-called "charities" that are actually scams.
Old January 14th, 2014, 09:32 AM
Poki
idgaf no jutsu

Nature: Calm
I'd buy dictionaries and smack some people in the face with them. Education is important.
Pairs: Alfieri, Dark Azelf, Nonon, and The Alchemyst

Old January 14th, 2014, 09:51 AM
LoudSilence
more like uncommon sense

I'd donate to people directly. It's difficult to trust your money in the hands of a charity, especially those larger organisations who you're pretty sure skim off a bit more than they ought to.

Remember that Kony 2012 fiasco with Invisible Children? I'm glad they were scrutinised, but think of the charities that don't.
この世界は素晴らしい。
Old January 21st, 2014, 09:22 PM
Bruce Banner
Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Bruce Banner
Well my school is doing a drive for "Pasta for Pennies" right now. I would probbaly donate a considerable sum to that cause because I don't need much money.
Sisters | Brother | Pairs
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here