Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation
Reload this Page Fifth Gen Quick Questions

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Old January 21st, 2014 (02:34 AM).
M-Sanji

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to M-Sanji
POkemon Black or White? Which is the best game to play?
Old January 21st, 2014 (04:06 AM).
Hikamaru
modern life is rubbish
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I've played these games myself and there are some substantial differences between the two, both appearance-wise and Pokemon-wise. First, Opelucid City differs in appearance based on the game, having a more futuristic look in Black and a rustic look in White. Next, there's two post-game locations Black City and White Forest. Black City is in Black and you can buy some nice items there if you link up with a lot of people while doing the same thing with White Forest in White will allow you to catch some Pokemon that normally can't be found. And third, the Pokemon encountered in the wild differ between the two games, like the mascot legendaries Reshiram and Zekrom obviously.

Version exclusives list is here: http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/exclusives.shtml

I basically choose which game I play based on the exclusives I like better, that's what I'd do if I were you, pick the version that has the exclusives you like better.
Old January 21st, 2014 (06:18 AM).
Golden Warrior
Pokemon Professor

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Golden Warrior
The differences between these games aside from the legendaries and certain wild Pokemon is very slim, so it's entirely up to you. You can use the link Hikamaru gave and decide from there, but aside from the things listed there, you could go either way.

For me, I chose White just because it had Zekrom which I liked the design of better, that was all the reason I needed when I bought it, so do what you want.

3DS/Pokemon Y FC: 5300 - 9087 - 1138
I'll be up to battle or trade, I'll also always be up to multibattle. PM me if you add me here, give me a reason that you're adding me, and I'll be sure to add you back!

Friend Safari: Bug Type
Pokemon: Paras, Beautifly, and Pinsir.
Old January 24th, 2014 (04:17 PM).
Zekrom
100-Series Prototype

What Fire types are available in Black 2 before beating the Elite 4?
Soul Nomad Review
Old January 24th, 2014 (04:53 PM).
Hikamaru
modern life is rubbish
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by No Chance Without Zekrom:
What Fire types are available in Black 2 before beating the Elite 4?
Aside from the Tepig line, here are the other Fire-types obtainable before Elite Four and where you catch them:

Pansear (Lostlorn Forest, in shaking grass patches)
Magby (Virbank Complex, Black 2 only)
Growlithe (Virbank Complex)
Flareon (evolve Eevee with Fire Stone, Eevee can be caught in Castelia City garden accessible through sewers)
Darumaka (Route 4, Desert Resort)
Darmanitan (Desert Resort, only if Memory Link is activated, has Zen Mode ability)
Volcarona (Relic Castle, respawns after beating Elite Four)
Litwick (Celestial Tower, Strange House)
Numel (Reversal Mountain, White 2 only)
Old February 1st, 2014 (01:01 PM).
Dragonite1v1

Quote originally posted by Hikamaru:
Aside from the Tepig line, here are the other Fire-types obtainable before Elite Four and where you catch them:

Pansear (Lostlorn Forest, in shaking grass patches)
Magby (Virbank Complex, Black 2 only)
Growlithe (Virbank Complex)
Flareon (evolve Eevee with Fire Stone, Eevee can be caught in Castelia City garden accessible through sewers)
Darumaka (Route 4, Desert Resort)
Darmanitan (Desert Resort, only if Memory Link is activated, has Zen Mode ability)
Volcarona (Relic Castle, respawns after beating Elite Four)
Litwick (Celestial Tower, Strange House)
Numel (Reversal Mountain, White 2 only)
Eevee is available from Amanita which can be found in Castelia city (Near the gym) using her PokeDream or something like that.
Old February 2nd, 2014 (03:04 PM). Edited February 2nd, 2014 by Jellicent♀.
Superfox

How do I transfer Pokemon from Gen 4 to Gen 5 games again? I used to know, but now I've forgotten cuz its been a long while since I played Generation 5 or 4 games.

My Friend Safari type is Flying, with Fearow and Swanna.
Old February 2nd, 2014 (03:15 PM).
Peitharchia
& having to receive it

Quote originally posted by Superfox:
How do I transfer Pokemon from Gen 4 to Gen 5 games again? I used to know, but now I've forgotten cuz its been a long while since I played Generation 5 or 4 games.
There should be PokéTransfer Lab on Route 15; just visit the place and they will tell you all the steps. :] You need to have two DS systems in order to transfer, by the way.
Old February 7th, 2014 (09:59 AM).
oldskooltrainr

How do you get the other key to unlock Registeel, i have he other key on my white 2 game.
Old February 8th, 2014 (06:05 PM).
Hikamaru
modern life is rubbish
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by oldskooltrainr:
How do you get the other key to unlock Registeel, i have he other key on my white 2 game.
The keys needed to unlock Registeel (Iron Key) and Regice (Iceberg Key) are exclusive to Black 2 and White 2 respectively so if you want to obtain the one not in your version you need to trade the keys. Sadly this is done via infrared/local and not wi-fi so you will need a second DS.
Old February 9th, 2014 (07:06 AM).
den135

Are these games currently dead online? I was gonna buy a ds lite since a 2ds is too much money and I wanted to know.
Old February 9th, 2014 (09:17 AM).
Super Bling
Clair pretty thick, huh?

Quote originally posted by den135:
Are these games currently dead online? I was gonna buy a ds lite since a 2ds is too much money and I wanted to know.
Not at all, there are still people who play 5th gen. However many people are absorbed into X and Y at the moment so...
Well I'm in the same boat as you though, 3DS cost too much, so I'm stuck with a ds lite but im getting a job soon so I won't have to worry about it that much. Besides I have a pretty good feeling there's going to be a successor to X and Y coming before the year is over or something like that so we won't be missing out on much, hopefully...
Old February 23rd, 2014 (10:09 AM).
DuckieIsAdorbz
the beautiful manabu
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to DuckieIsAdorbz
How the heck do you get through Marlon's gym? I tried to do it without my walk through walls cheat, and I simply could not do it. I ended up getting stuck and had to restart my game. Mainly because I didn't save before going into his gym. So... HOW?
Old February 23rd, 2014 (10:19 AM).
Pendraflare
With every broken bone, I swear, I lived.
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Pendraflare
Here's a bit from a specific walkthrough:

"Just up a bit and to the left, you'll see a lily pad. Hopping on the lily pad causes it swim off (with you on top of it) over in the direction you're facing, until it hits something. Go ahead and hop on it to reach the side dock, then fight the Ace Trainer up there. He uses a Floatzel L47 and a Mantine L47. You've gotta watch out for the likes of Mantine, because it is part Flying-type (rendering Grass-type Pokemon ineffective against it), plus it has a ton of Special Defense.

After beating the Ace Trainer, you'll be able to see another interesting dynamic of the lily pad puzzle by hopping onto the lily pad next to him. It'll bump into another lily pad, stopping yours but pushing the other one forward. You'll have to keep that in mind while solving the puzzle.

Now, head up and jump onto the lily pad. You'll have to fight the Ace Trainer just above you. She's got an Alomomola L48 to bother you with. After taking her down, head south onto the lily pad to reach another dock area. You can now cross the lily pad you pushed while getting to the last Ace Trainer.

Follow the path to the north (you can leave to the south if you need to heal) and cross the bridge. Keep following the path until you see a lily pad in the corner. You can approach it either from the north or from the west, pushing it south and east respectively. Go ahead and push it south, then get off and push it off to the east. You can fight the Ace Trainer up there (you're not forced to, though). He uses a Walrein L48, which may also pose a problem for your Grass-type Pokemon.

Now go back across the bridge and head north. Fight the Ace Trainer, using her Pelipper L47 and Wailord L47. You can ride the lily pad either north or to the west. Riding it north won't take you anywhere, so head west on it. There's yet another lily pad. Go ahead and ride it north, up to another Ace Trainer. She uses a Golduck L47 and a Starmie L47.

Ride the lily pad south and fight another Ace Trainer. He's got a Basculin L46, a Basculin L46, and lastly an Azumarill L46.

Ok, time for the fun part. Ride back to the west, then circle around and ride the lily pad north. Now disembark and ride it to the east. You'll bump a lily pad off to the side. Once you've done that, you'll be right where the Gym Leader, Marlon, is hangin' out! If you need to heal, just ride the lily pad to the south to exit. You can hop right back on it after leaving to get back to him easily, so feel free to heal if you need to."

Okay, I probably didn't need to C/P all of that, but hope this helps.
Old February 23rd, 2014 (11:10 AM).
DuckieIsAdorbz
the beautiful manabu
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to DuckieIsAdorbz
Quote originally posted by flareblitz37:
Here's a bit from a specific walkthrough:

"Just up a bit and to the left, you'll see a lily pad. Hopping on the lily pad causes it swim off (with you on top of it) over in the direction you're facing, until it hits something. Go ahead and hop on it to reach the side dock, then fight the Ace Trainer up there. He uses a Floatzel L47 and a Mantine L47. You've gotta watch out for the likes of Mantine, because it is part Flying-type (rendering Grass-type Pokemon ineffective against it), plus it has a ton of Special Defense.

After beating the Ace Trainer, you'll be able to see another interesting dynamic of the lily pad puzzle by hopping onto the lily pad next to him. It'll bump into another lily pad, stopping yours but pushing the other one forward. You'll have to keep that in mind while solving the puzzle.

Now, head up and jump onto the lily pad. You'll have to fight the Ace Trainer just above you. She's got an Alomomola L48 to bother you with. After taking her down, head south onto the lily pad to reach another dock area. You can now cross the lily pad you pushed while getting to the last Ace Trainer.

Follow the path to the north (you can leave to the south if you need to heal) and cross the bridge. Keep following the path until you see a lily pad in the corner. You can approach it either from the north or from the west, pushing it south and east respectively. Go ahead and push it south, then get off and push it off to the east. You can fight the Ace Trainer up there (you're not forced to, though). He uses a Walrein L48, which may also pose a problem for your Grass-type Pokemon.

Now go back across the bridge and head north. Fight the Ace Trainer, using her Pelipper L47 and Wailord L47. You can ride the lily pad either north or to the west. Riding it north won't take you anywhere, so head west on it. There's yet another lily pad. Go ahead and ride it north, up to another Ace Trainer. She uses a Golduck L47 and a Starmie L47.

Ride the lily pad south and fight another Ace Trainer. He's got a Basculin L46, a Basculin L46, and lastly an Azumarill L46.

Ok, time for the fun part. Ride back to the west, then circle around and ride the lily pad north. Now disembark and ride it to the east. You'll bump a lily pad off to the side. Once you've done that, you'll be right where the Gym Leader, Marlon, is hangin' out! If you need to heal, just ride the lily pad to the south to exit. You can hop right back on it after leaving to get back to him easily, so feel free to heal if you need to."

Okay, I probably didn't need to C/P all of that, but hope this helps.
I'll have to try to remember this when I get to it. Thanks.
Old February 26th, 2014 (03:41 AM).
Elysieum
Ely.

Nature: Careful
Where exactly can I find Wide Lens in White 2? Apparently its at Route 4 inside the ruined building where you can Trade Petilil for Cottonee with the dude, but there's nothing inside there.
Old February 26th, 2014 (04:15 AM).
Zekrom
100-Series Prototype

Quote originally posted by Elysieum:
Where exactly can I find Wide Lens in White 2? Apparently its at Route 4 inside the ruined building where you can Trade Petilil for Cottonee with the dude, but there's nothing inside there.
If you can't find it there, you can also get Wide Lenses from the Battle Subway shop for some BP.
Soul Nomad Review
Old February 26th, 2014 (04:40 AM).
Pendraflare
Community Supporter

Unfortunately, you've probably been mistaken, because the Wide Lens is only available in Black 2, where the ruins are buildings, and not White 2. It is in that same house where you trade Cottonee for Petilil.
Old February 26th, 2014 (10:46 AM).
Miau
The Kitten Pokémon
Community Supporter

It's there, but only in B2. If you can't pay the 8 Battle Points to get it from the PWT or Battle Subway, it is also held by wild Yanma. Yanma are found on Route 3 or in the Pinwheel Forest. There's a 5% chance that the wild Yanma will hold a Wide Lens, BUT if you lead with Pokemon with the Compound Eyes ability, the chance will increase to 20%. Another tip: teach that Pokemon Thief so you can easily steal the item without needing to catch Yanma

List of Pokemon with Compound Eyes and details on the increased chance to find items: [http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Compound_Eyes]
#300 Skitty
Supporter Collab January 2015
clubs anime avatar
Old February 27th, 2014 (11:28 AM).
Elysieum
Ely.

Nature: Careful
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I eventually bought it at Battle Subway.
Old March 1st, 2014 (11:08 PM).
Shrew
is a shrew

Nature: Lonely
In Black/White, after the first gym and near the daycare, there is a pair of twins who won't let you proceed unless you have two pokemon to battle them with. I wanted to know if you could make it impossible to proceed. For instance, spending/throwing all your money so that you can never buy any new pokeballs; releasing the elemental monkey at the PC.

...or will there always be a method of generating money, or not being allowed to release the monkey
Old March 2nd, 2014 (12:36 AM).
Hikamaru
modern life is rubbish
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Shrew:
In Black/White, after the first gym and near the daycare, there is a pair of twins who won't let you proceed unless you have two pokemon to battle them with. I wanted to know if you could make it impossible to proceed. For instance, spending/throwing all your money so that you can never buy any new pokeballs; releasing the elemental monkey at the PC.

...or will there always be a method of generating money, or not being allowed to release the monkey
If memory serves me right, there's no trainers you can rematch at that point and also I think the only way to make something unable to be released is if it knows a HM move, and you do need Cut to get into the Dreamyard (it's blocked by a small tree that requires Cut) to fight the Team Plasma grunts.

I'm not sure if this can be proven, but yeah if you have no money and only one Pokemon in the party and none in the PC I guess this means you have no choice but to restart. Someone can correct me here if I'm wrong.
Old March 5th, 2014 (04:25 AM).
Pendraflare
Community Supporter

Here's a question for anyone who's played through the game on Challenge Mode (I asked this on TV Tropes, but no answer there):

I know that the movesets of the trainers are the same as in Normal Mode (except against Gym Leaders and Iris), even if they would learn a new move by level-up, but are the stats as well? Because in Marriland's White 2 Adventure when he battled Iris, his Mienshao was slower than both her Hydreigon and Haxorus, and Ghetsis' Hydreigon as well (which killed him in one hit without a crit). But on Challenge Mode, i've watched a few videos where the Hydreigon (a few from jdthebud in his Monotype/Mono-Colors) gets outsped by things like Leavanny and even Garbodor. So are the stats the same as on Normal Mode?

As I may or may not have said before, I don't THINK Iris has max IVs on her Pokémon (I know Diantha doesn't), I could always be wrong though, because I read that BW Ghetsis does (his Hydreigon, at least).
Old March 23rd, 2014 (11:55 AM).
iwant2trade
i like to trade

i would love if someone took sometime and explaned to me how to breed iv pokemon that would be awesome
Old March 23rd, 2014 (02:17 PM).
Zekrom
100-Series Prototype

Quote originally posted by iwant2trade:
i would love if someone took sometime and explaned to me how to breed iv pokemon that would be awesome
A thread/guide for that has been made here on PC, so check it out: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=321336#perfect
Soul Nomad Review
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links