The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 4th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
So, after downloading a special program called "NITRO-SoundMaker", which is an in-house tool to develop music for the NDS, I discovered how to loop, and it was stupidly simple. Following on a hunch, I decided to ask someone to send me a MIDI, I added the needed data to it, send it back, and have him insert it. But, there was one condition: do not touch the .s file. And my hunch was correct: the file did loop. So, this tutorial is killing two birds with one stone, as the same official tools for converting MIDI files for use on the GBA use the exact same command to loop as the official NDS tools. And it's been overlooked for many years, so it's beyond me how this was totally missed. Anyways, let's get started.

You will need:
1. Your MIDI file
2. Anvil Studio
3. Official NDS/GBA conversion tools (Based on what system you want to use)
-MID2AGB and Sappy for GBA
-smfconv, and seqconv for NDS

Oh, and don't ask me where to find the Nintendo programs. I will not link to them.

Now, as I said, it's stupidly simple to loop, and I'm not kidding. These commands are built into both MID2AGB and smfconv, but they've been overlooked until today. Here's how to tap into the hidden potential:

1. Open your MIDI file in Anvil Studio, and view your MIDI in the Piano Roll Editor (View -> Piano Roll Editor)

Now, to start, go right to the end of the song, and head to the top of the window. Look for a button called "New cue" and click on it:

Now, since we're at the end of the file, we're going to add one special character to the box that shows up, simply, "]":

Now, here comes the hardest part, and it's not even that hard. In the piano roll editor, place the marker arrow at the point in the song you want the game to loop it to, then go back up to the top and add a new cue, "[":

And that's all! Now, export your MIDI file (MIDI-Format 0 File) with no spaces (Remember: MID2AGB doesn't like spaces in the filename!), and compile it using your choice of tools (mid2agb for GBA, or smfconv + seqconv for NDS), and insert. Don't even touch your .s file, as there is no need to, well, unless you need to adjust something. Have fun looping music!

Platinum Supporter Team Fail

"It is said that Charizard's fire burns hotter if it has experienced harsh battles."

Charizard

Last edited by Team Fail; January 25th, 2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:07 PM
diegoisawesome
Not the Script Help Thread
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
...Are you kidding me? All it took to loop it was THIS? Wow, and I've been breaking my back over this for a while now! Thanks!

My other resources:
My Website
diegoisawesome's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial
diegoisawesome's Miscellaneous Finds
The Ruins of Alph Puzzles
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:22 PM
giradialkia
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to giradialkia
Wait, what?

I can do that. This is brilliant, thanks very much for sharing this, however stupidly simple it seems to be. This just made things millions of times easier for me (and a lot of other people, no doubt). Great stuff :D

This one's called 'Red', and it's actually kinda Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:37 PM
hinkage
Go make some new disaster
Community Supporter

The commands are built-in... And no one ever bothered to look? O_o
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Nature: Adamant
Oh my god...haha

I used to do it the classic way, which was to separate every track in AnvilStudio and manually loop it with Notepad. Then I started doing it a slightly easier way, using a program I found called SFileEditor, which makes it so you don't have to separate each track, but you still have to manually choose every loop point for every track (but it automatically types it in for you, which was slightly helpful).

But now...we have this Thank you.

The Chaos Emerald ROM Base (it's gonna take awhile)

DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource NOW COMPLETED
Custom Sugimori-style Pokémon Sprite Resource IN PROGRESS

My PM box is full and I am choosing to keep it that way.

Non-Pokémon hacks I support:
Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete
Old December 5th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegoisawesome View Post
...Are you kidding me? All it took to loop it was THIS? Wow, and I've been breaking my back over this for a while now! Thanks!
It's definitely not easy work, I'll admit. So no problems! Anything to make hacking easier will be beneficial to many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by giradialkia View Post
Wait, what?

I can do that. This is brilliant, thanks very much for sharing this, however stupidly simple it seems to be. This just made things millions of times easier for me (and a lot of other people, no doubt). Great stuff :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkage View Post
The commands are built-in... And no one ever bothered to look? O_o
My thoughts exactly. I heard it was in the documentation, but I cbf to look lol. I just did a bit of research.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Rush View Post
Oh my god...haha

I used to do it the classic way, which was to separate every track in AnvilStudio and manually loop it with Notepad. Then I started doing it a slightly easier way, using a program I found called SFileEditor, which makes it so you don't have to separate each track, but you still have to manually choose every loop point for every track (but it automatically types it in for you, which was slightly helpful).

But now...we have this :) Thank you.
Oh man, that'd be hard. But yeah. Even having to manage the .s file was painful. Now, you barely have to even touch it, as all the loop commands are inserted automatically :D Isn't it wonderful?

"It is said that Charizard's fire burns hotter if it has experienced harsh battles."

Charizard

Old December 5th, 2012, 07:15 PM
MrAPT1
That one guy who does stuff

You sir, are a real life saver. I always found looping to be an incredible hassle in the past, but now I can do it in under 2 minutes. This is so awesome! Thanks!
Old December 5th, 2012, 07:57 PM
mewmasterify
Actual Mew

Nature: Quiet
umm i got a Error when i used this tutorial:
Old December 5th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Make sure all that's in the cue editor is either a [ or a ] at the proper position. Other than that, make sure it's using a valid filename. That's all I can think of.

Charizard

Old December 6th, 2012, 04:40 PM
shinyabsol1
Pokemon DarkJasper!?

Nature: Calm
Awesome, this saves so much time! Thanks for sharing this!
Old December 6th, 2012, 07:33 PM
阴魂君
_(:зゝ∠)_ so busy i am…

OMG it's more easier than other ways.
Old December 7th, 2012, 02:39 PM
tajaros
Hi I'm dawg

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to tajaros
What The-?

This made things more freaking easier thanks TF for sharing this! :3
Old December 11th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Kyain
The Sky High Pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Kyain
Holy crap

If people don't use this tutorial to insert music, now that it's been made easier than ever, then I'll cry. Seriously, this is awesome!

Silver-tier supporter Kyain's Signature
There's nothing here...lol
My stuff:

Space for rent

lalalalala i can't hear you. FACT.
[context: facebook]
Quote:
over a milliard of users had no access
[1:41:11 PM] Khilia-chan~: they all were forced to have a life

Old December 13th, 2012, 07:18 PM
VERGUNDAI
RomHacker, Unity 3D Maker

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Final Destination View Post
Holy crap

If people don't use this tutorial to insert music, now that it's been made easier than ever, then I'll cry. Seriously, this is awesome!
What's more awesome is that imagine if you can make a program that does all of this.
Old December 13th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VERGUNDAI View Post
What's more awesome is that imagine if you can make a program that does all of this.
If you have to get a program that does something that's this easy, then my head could not hit a desk hard enough. This is about as easy it will get and requires minimal effort.

Charizard

Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:46 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Took some advice from Chaos Rush and edited in the "(MIDI-Format 0 File)" export option in the post. If you're having issues with converting, check it out once more and see if it's working for you. c:

Charizard

Old January 11th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Dylanrockin
Mysterious Trainer

So I don't need to break up the tracks in the song at all? Or do I still have to do that?
Old January 13th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanrockin View Post
So I don't need to break up the tracks in the song at all? Or do I still have to do that?
Nope. You just open the MIDI as is with all the tracks. MID2AGB will automatically place the loop commands in each track for you.

Charizard

Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:52 PM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Well, goodbye with the old, and hello to the new~ :D

Thanks for sharing this, as this will be a very big help in editing music.
Old March 24th, 2013, 11:20 AM
PKMN Trainer S
Unhatched Egg

Hey, anybody knows how to make some tracks sound right? I know you can import instruments but...
Old April 23rd, 2013, 05:58 AM
Eren Jaeger
Pianoist

Nature: Serious
So this is how it's done? I'm having hard time looping.. well, thanks for sharing this! I'm a music hacker that's why it's a big big big thanks!
Old April 25th, 2013, 09:54 AM
xGal
du bist n00b

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
So, after downloading a special program called "NITRO-SoundMaker", which is an in-house tool to develop music for the NDS, I discovered how to loop, and it was stupidly simple. Following on a hunch, I decided to ask someone to send me a MIDI, I added the needed data to it, send it back, and have him insert it. But, there was one condition: do not touch the .s file. And my hunch was correct: the file did loop. So, this tutorial is killing two birds with one stone, as the same official tools for converting MIDI files for use on the GBA use the exact same command to loop as the official NDS tools. And it's been overlooked for many years, so it's beyond me how this was totally missed. Anyways, let's get started.

You will need:
1. Your MIDI file
2. Anvil Studio
3. Official NDS/GBA conversion tools (Based on what system you want to use)
-MID2AGB and Sappy for GBA
-smfconv, and seqconv for NDS

Oh, and don't ask me where to find the Nintendo programs. I will not link to them.

Now, as I said, it's stupidly simple to loop, and I'm not kidding. These commands are built into both MID2AGB and smfconv, but they've been overlooked until today. Here's how to tap into the hidden potential:

1. Open your MIDI file in Anvil Studio, and view your MIDI in the Piano Roll Editor (View -> Piano Roll Editor)

Now, to start, go right to the end of the song, and head to the top of the window. Look for a button called "New cue" and click on it:

Now, since we're at the end of the file, we're going to add one special character to the box that shows up, simply, "]":

Now, here comes the hardest part, and it's not even that hard. In the piano roll editor, place the marker arrow at the point in the song you want the game to loop it to, then go back up to the top and add a new cue, "[":

And that's all! Now, export your MIDI file (MIDI-Format 0 File), and compile it using your choice of tools (mid2agb for GBA, or smfconv + seqconv for NDS), and insert. Don't even touch your .s file, as there is no need to, well, unless you need to adjust something. Have fun looping music!
yo TeamFail thanks man but i wanna tell you something...

It didn't work to me, 'til i changed the song groups (in sappy) to 1: 300 2: 300

You gotta write that if you want
Old April 27th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by galooloo View Post
yo TeamFail thanks man but i wanna tell you something...

It didn't work to me, 'til i changed the song groups (in sappy) to 1: 300 2: 300

You gotta write that if you want :P
That's kinda given. This is just for looping, not inserting.

Charizard

Old January 22nd, 2014, 05:56 PM
The_Show
Banned

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
Make sure all that's in the cue editor is either a [ or a ] at the proper position. Other than that, make sure it's using a valid filename. That's all I can think of.
Hello Team Fail, I am experiencing the same problem as the good sir above.

I have put the "] and [" in the right places. What do you mean it's a valid filename, other than the obvious? I've changed the filename twice and have made absolute sure its an .S file. What should I do?

EDIT: I figured it out, sort of. I just went back and "re-did" the whole process, and it came out fine. Btw, great job Team Fail. *thunderous applause"
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG‎ (21.8 KB, 3 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Last edited by The_Show; January 22nd, 2014 at 06:05 PM. Reason: figured it out
Old January 25th, 2014, 09:33 AM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Show View Post
Hello Team Fail, I am experiencing the same problem as the good sir above.

I have put the "] and [" in the right places. What do you mean it's a valid filename, other than the obvious? I've changed the filename twice and have made absolute sure its an .S file. What should I do?

EDIT: I figured it out, sort of. I just went back and "re-did" the whole process, and it came out fine. Btw, great job Team Fail. *thunderous applause"
Yeah. I added a small portion to the tutorial. Your problem was because you had a space in the filename.

Charizard

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links